View Full Version : End of the Outdoor Season

dbny
03-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, it's the end of the outdoor skating season here (one week left, no classes), so I'm taking stock of my work. I'm relieved to say that I don't think I've failed any of my students. All of them have progressed, and some of them have surprised me very pleasantly.

One class of kids that I had decided really did not like me, asked me to come and teach them next week, when they skate, but do not have lessons. Two little girls who started with me last year, sharing a private lesson each week, have progressed from just pushing around with one foot to beginning forward crossovers. I've gotten two adults skating for the first time (one in her 30's and one in her 50's), and both are doing well and enjoying it. I even have one adult student that I think is developing AOSS. She had been a dancer and is working on both forward and back crossovers, and really having a good time.

I've developed some good work habits this year, such as calling my private students the night before to confirm. Nothing burns me up more than a trip to the rink and a no show! It doesn't take too long to figure out who needs to be called every week, and who is reliable. There are some people who would get upset to have a coach show up in another school's jacket, so I
also get my jacket for the following day set to go with all the stickers, tissues, gloves, and business cards in the correct pockets. Working at three different rinks, and having a bad weather jacket has made that necessary.

All the time on the ice has been great for my own skating too. I'm tired of the constant rushing around from rink to rink all winter, and will definitely miss the income, but I'm also sad to be going back to not much else but my twice a week groups. I have one or two students who might make the trip to other rinks in order to continue. I have my fingers crossed.

Any one else ready to sum up?

Isk8NYC
03-07-2005, 08:41 PM
It ain't over 'til it's over, chickie. I had lost my groups and all of my privates because of my absence while caring for my brother. (He's well, thanks.) I was so depressed about seeing some of my group students, who I planned to approach about private lessons, already taking privates from other coaches. But, I decided to make lemonade and I'm having a good end of the season.

I lost a student that I really didn't care for that much, and she's not one iota better than she was on our last lesson. Just as rude and delusional, though. She showed my daughter her trademark loop: looks just like a salchow. In fact, all of her singles are really just cheated salchows. One trick pony, if you ask me and it isn't the new coach's fault, although she will be blamed in the end. Yes, I will have some more sugar in my lemonade!

On Saturday, I covered group lessons for another instructor and played assistant director on the ice. I did a good job, even the office grinch agreed. One of the students I taught was a girl I had in groups last year. I really like the kid and she was part of a really good group that worked hard and listened. Her Mom spoke to me afterward and asked me to teach privates to both this girl and her little sister! Excellent comeback - two privates in one fell swoop. Most importantly, nice kids to work with.

Well, our season doesn't end until May/June, so I'll update more then. Wish me luck! Maybe I'll even pick up a show group!

dbny
03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
On Saturday, I covered group lessons for another instructor and played assistant director on the ice. I did a good job, even the office grinch agreed. One of the students I taught was a girl I had in groups last year. I really like the kid and she was part of a really good group that worked hard and listened. Her Mom spoke to me afterward and asked me to teach privates to both this girl and her little sister! Excellent comeback - two privates in one fell swoop. Most importantly, nice kids to work with.

Way to go! PM me about that grinch, don't know who it is.

flippet
03-08-2005, 02:37 PM
She showed my daughter her trademark loop: looks just like a salchow.

:?? How do you make a salchow look like a loop (and think you're passing it off)??? Um...different feet, different edges, honey. :lol: I've met folks like this, too--usually they're just desperate to feel 'good', but sometimes they really are delusional.

Isk8NYC
03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
:?? How do you make a salchow look like a loop (and think you're passing it off)??? Um...different feet, different edges, honey. :lol: I've met folks like this, too--usually they're just desperate to feel 'good', but sometimes they really are delusional.

That child definitely lives in a world of her own. She told someone else that she could do a triple!

Sadly, I used to skate with a similar ADULT in the 1980's. I'm not sure if she every outgrew the exaggerated bragging. Another double-doer who couldn't even land a flip cleanly. We all agreed to be kind to her. To her face. Until she started telling people she had defeated us in competition. Then we told her off.

I warned that student about telling tall tales. The other girls don't really like her anyway, but now they (and even the coaches) aren't very nice to her. I hope she wakes up soon and stops the delusions.

garyc254
03-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Most of our part year rinks are closing after this coming weekend. Even some of the indoor year round rinks are starting summer ice limited schedules early this year. :cry:

I'll be down to skating once a week starting April.

Fortunately, I'll still be coaching learn-to-skate on Monday evenings. :D

I could coach l-t-s on Saturdays too, but we're getting into the yard work season and I can't commit to a regular schedule.

twokidsskatemom
03-09-2005, 02:42 PM
We are blessed with ice year around.The two rinks both close for a month for repairs but they pick different months so we still have ice.Hs hockey is winding down so our rink is adding more fs sessions now.We do have a few tourneys for pee wee hockey at the end of the month but we only lose ice for two days.
I would think hard if you lose ice all summer :cry:

starskate6.0
03-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Most of our part year rinks are closing after this coming weekend. Even some of the indoor year round rinks are starting summer ice limited schedules early this year. :cry:

I'll be down to skating once a week starting April.

Fortunately, I'll still be coaching learn-to-skate on Monday evenings. :D

I could coach l-t-s on Saturdays too, but we're getting into the yard work season and I can't commit to a regular schedule.

I just love that quote Gary......so true.. so true ;)

starskate6.0
03-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, it's the end of the outdoor skating season here (one week left, no classes), so I'm taking stock of my work. I'm relieved to say that I don't think I've failed any of my students. All of them have progressed, and some of them have surprised me very pleasantly.

One class of kids that I had decided really did not like me, asked me to come and teach them next week, when they skate, but do not have lessons. Two little girls who started with me last year, sharing a private lesson each week, have progressed from just pushing around with one foot to beginning forward crossovers. I've gotten two adults skating for the first time (one in her 30's and one in her 50's), and both are doing well and enjoying it. I even have one adult student that I think is developing AOSS. She had been a dancer and is working on both forward and back crossovers, and really having a good time.

I've developed some good work habits this year, such as calling my private students the night before to confirm. Nothing burns me up more than a trip to the rink and a no show! It doesn't take too long to figure out who needs to be called every week, and who is reliable. There are some people who would get upset to have a coach show up in another school's jacket, so I
also get my jacket for the following day set to go with all the stickers, tissues, gloves, and business cards in the correct pockets. Working at three different rinks, and having a bad weather jacket has made that necessary.

All the time on the ice has been great for my own skating too. I'm tired of the constant rushing around from rink to rink all winter, and will definitely miss the income, but I'm also sad to be going back to not much else but my twice a week groups. I have one or two students who might make the trip to other rinks in order to continue. I have my fingers crossed.

Any one else ready to sum up?

G-day dbny
Whats up in your world :?: Thought i would drop you a line just to say Hi.
Are you going to Nationals or Oberstdorf ? How are those skates working out. ?