View Full Version : ISU Adult Competition in Oberstdorf --Who's going?

sk8pics
03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
So, has anyone made a firm decision to go to this competition? I am on the fence myself, but the deadline is coming up. I have found some reasonable flights from JFK-Munich with a Monday-Monday or Tuesday-Tuesday flight schedule, only about $450 including taxes and fees. Also some from BWI or JFK to Frankfurt for less than $700. I'm trying to talk a few people into going.

So, anyone?

Pat

flo
03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi, could you send me the details of the flight?
Thanks!

coskater64
03-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I am going to both MC and O'dorf. Denver via Chicago to Paris and then the train.

la

Mrs Redboots
03-07-2005, 01:21 PM
We're doing the Mountain Cup, and will be at Oberstdorf. I'm hoping that Husband and his Other Woman will dance there - there's nothing for me this year. Plus I expect Other Woman will be in the free skating, I think she said she was planning to.

blue111moon
03-08-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm doing both, at least right now. I'm haviong trouble with flights though. Any ideas? I'd leave from Boston and go to Geneva first, I think, then come home from Munich. But I can't figure out how to do that.

Plus, have people found places to stay in Obersdorf? The travel agent there has been difficult to reach.

flo
03-08-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to fly from Baltimore - JFK to Lyon, then Munich to JFK to Baltimore

Mrs Redboots
03-09-2005, 08:22 AM
I've asked this on the Mountain Cup Yahoo Group, but it bears repeating here - would anybody like to share accommodation in Villard-de-Lans? We've booked a 2-room apartment in the Résidence Le Diamant from 2 to 9 June, which cost us €350, and would happily offer the sofa-bed to someone for any or all of those nights for the correct proportion of that amount.

Please e-mail me or send me a PM if you are interested.

flo
03-10-2005, 09:35 AM
I think I finally have a flight that works. Now to the rest!

starskate6.0
03-10-2005, 09:39 PM
So, has anyone made a firm decision to go to this competition? I am on the fence myself, but the deadline is coming up. I have found some reasonable flights from JFK-Munich with a Monday-Monday or Tuesday-Tuesday flight schedule, only about $450 including taxes and fees. Also some from BWI or JFK to Frankfurt for less than $700. I'm trying to talk a few people into going.

So, anyone?

Pat

Pat
I want to go but I can't find the application forms yet, do you k ow where I could find it. ? Iv been in Australia for teh past 2 weeks.

starskate6.0
03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Is there a posted application for this event yet ?.
Any web sites for hotels etc ?
anyone else found a place to stay yet..?

Thanks
Ross.

SK8RX
03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=27945

manleywoman
03-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Hotels:
http://www.oberstdorf.de/

Click on the british flag above for english, and click "room" on the right column to search for hotels. From everyone I've talked to (including some hotels themselves) Oberstdorf is 15 minutes on foot from end to end, so everything is quite close together: rink, train station and hotels. There are lots of options in Oberstdorf: cheap to expensive, renting a whole house vs, renting rooms, hostels, bed and breakfast, etc. Keep in mind that the prices are typically listed by the person, not by the room, and some hotels don't take credit cards.

Many of the hotels listed have links provided to their own site, but not all offer english. So I used Babelfish to translate:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Here are some hotels, just for starters:
http://www.hotel-schwand.de/ehome.htm
http://www.saschas-kachelofen.de/index.shtml?en_homepage
http://www.kappeler-haus.de/home_en.html
http://www.geldernhaus.de/index_geldernhaus_all.htm

I made my hotel reservations already!

Mrs Redboots
03-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Where are you staying, Manleywoman? We're going to the Gästehaus Tanneck (http://www.gaestehaus-tanneck.de/ ) - don't know what it will be like, but they sounded very friendly and it's very good value for a private room with en-suite shower & loo & a breakfast buffet.

manleywoman
03-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Redboots, I'll PM you

Mrs Redboots
03-12-2005, 03:41 AM
Redboots, I'll PM youWhich I tried to answer, but your message box is full!

manleywoman
03-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I emptied it...sorry!

NoVa Sk8r
03-24-2005, 12:51 PM
A nice article on the USFS website:
http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=29395

starskate6.0
03-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Im ready to go. Gold mens II. ( working on my German) :D

daisies
03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I was going to go, but I just can't afford it this year. Hopefully I will see you all there next year!

Lives to skate
03-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Looking for anyone who wants to travel together. I will be going to both France and Germany. Gold Mens III and Masters Interpretive III. Burton Powley :P

Mrs Redboots
03-25-2005, 06:47 AM
I was going to go, but I just can't afford it this year. Hopefully I will see you all there next year!:cry: :( :( is all I have to say about that!

flo
03-25-2005, 02:14 PM
After fionally getting the flight I need, I can't go because of work issues. On top of that, I won't have my skates for nationals. Grrrrrrr. :giveup:

daisies
03-25-2005, 04:18 PM
:cry: :( :( is all I have to say about that!

Aww, Annabel, you're sweet! I really want to go next year, so with a year's advance notice, it should be doable. Hopefully I will see you then!! Hey, wait ... I will see you at AN in Kansas! :)

Mrs Redboots
03-26-2005, 07:56 AM
That's true, you will! But we won't see Flo :( :cry:

blue111moon
03-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Dottie Ray says I'm going with her, so I guess I am, since I never argue with Dottie. Another country to finish last in! :D

The tough part for me is going to actually doing what I said I was going to do on the elements list, in the order I listed them and at the times I said they were going to happen. Set Choreography is a novel concept for me.

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2005, 05:12 AM
Dottie Ray says I'm going with her, so I guess I am, since I never argue with Dottie. Another country to finish last in! :D Finish last, forsooth - who beat me last year, then???? And are we up against each other in Ladies Interp III at the MC again (and, if so, do I get a sneak preview of your programme at AN?).

The tough part for me is going to actually doing what I said I was going to do on the elements list, in the order I listed them and at the times I said they were going to happen. Set Choreography is a novel concept for me.You should take dance, dear...... six different compulsory dances AND a free dance to compete by the end of June????

blue111moon
03-29-2005, 07:40 AM
LOL, Annabelle! I don't do dance simply because my brain is unable to remember the steps in proper order. Compulsory dances don't allow much room for making things up on the fly.

In free skating, I'm almost always last. I don't have the skill level to be competitive so I settle for having fun. Interp is a crapshoot - what goes over in one place with one set of judges may bomb big time in another place. I was lucky last year - Snoopy seemed to be a universal favorite. But this year? Who knows what will appeal?

I'm not doing AN; the two weeks for MC, the camp and Oberstdorf eats up half my vacation time for the year. In fact, I think the debut of the Interp program will probably be at my club's exhibition in May, so I'll only skate it once before MC. Assuming of course that we get it choreographed before then.

sk8pics
03-29-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm going now, too! A friend of mine decided to do the competition. I'm so excited, even though I will be last in my group, I'm sure! But I don't care! :) :)

Ich freue mich daran! (Got to practice my German beforehand!)

And my regular coach, what a sport :bow: , is going to teach me at 7 am tomorrow morning before he goes on vacation! I have a LOT to do!

Pat
(edited to add, assuming all the flight details work out...)

Beccapoo2003
03-29-2005, 08:22 PM
OK, my husband and his 13yr old daughter are coming to MC and O'dorf with me. We are trying to decide when to leave for O'dorf. Obviously and regrettably, I cannot attend the camp. Does anyone know when there is FS ice available in O'dorf? I gotta skate-these old legs lose their memory very quickly!! When are folks arriving in O'dorf?
Thanks for any help!
Becca (you never have an Axel, it has YOU)!

Mrs Redboots
03-30-2005, 05:29 AM
Why can't you do the camp - presumably your husband & his daughter can go off up mountains/stuck on glaciers/in snowdrifts while you do it, no?

I should ask Barbara about practice ice, she'll probably know. Or if she doesn't, she'll know who to ask.

Talking of going off up mountains, anybody up for a long walk at Villard-de-Lans on the Sunday afternoon, once the competition has finished? Husband will want to go, of course, you know what he's like, and anybody else who reckons mountains are there to be walked up, not looked at, would be welcome to go along! Just so long as nobody expects me to!!!

sk8pics
03-30-2005, 03:52 PM
The competition announcement said that an official practice schedule would be mailed, and that additional ice time before June 10 could be purchased at the rink.

I mailed my application today! And my coach and I started making changes to my program for this competition. 8-)

Pat

Beccapoo2003
03-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Annabel,
My husband said since he's already been to France, he would rather spend his time in Germany. Geez, life sure gets in the way of skating!! Will you repost the link to the place where you are staying in O'dorf?
We will gladly go hiking with your husband after MC on Sunday!
Can't wait to see you at AN!
Happy skating!
Becca

Mrs Redboots
03-31-2005, 04:27 AM
We're staying here (http://www.gaestehaus-tanneck.de/), but I've no idea what it will be like!

And don't forget, everybody - I think today is the last day for entries. And the Mountain Cup closes in a couple of weeks, too....

Good, Husband will like a walking-partner, and I'm sure there are one or two others who will be up for it....

See you very soon - less than a fortnight until we leave for the USA, I can't wait!

sk8pics
03-31-2005, 07:05 AM
Just some information for everybody... If you go to www.oberstdorf.de you will find information on the area. I think it's pretty cool that they list the competition as an upcoming event right on the main page!

If you go to the bottom left, there is a link for a quick search for rooms. You can use the little calendar icons to select the dates for your stay and you will get a list of hotels. Any hotel that has Markplatz in its address is right on the main square. I stayed in one last time (I think it was the Hotel Mohren) and that's cool, but it can be noisy at night. I think this time I will stay a few blocks away. Anyway many of the hotels have pictures of the rooms so you can see what things look like. Also if you notice with the price listing it refers to "fruhstuck" (sorry, can't put the umlauts in) it means that breakfast is included in the price of the room. Also for the Americans note that some take only EU cards and some take American Express, and so on. I noticed that not many specify Mastercard (maybe none?) but some do specify Visa. (Just in case anyone doesn't have a Visa card, you might want to get one!)

Pat

starskate6.0
03-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey" Found some old pictures from when I was in Oberstdorf in 1990. :lol: Nice shot of the rink and the cable car. ;) ( and starskate with head in Beer stien at Octoberfest the day after. ) :lol:
Any body know how I can post the pics. ( Only 3) :mrgreen:

sk8pics
04-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Bumping this up since it's only about 6 weeks away now! I bought my plane tickets last night, boy prices went up in the last month! :evil: Oh well, at least I'm going.

Now it's time to panic over my elements... But I'm very excited about this competition!

Pat

starskate6.0
04-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Im still going to Oberstdorf. Mostly to relax. I look forward to the competition but even more so to my little room and sitting on the balcony looking at the fabulous views of Germany in the spring. :D Im getting there 2 day's early with just that thought in mind. If you have never been there before I promise you will not be disapointed. It a small quiet little village at the base of the German alps. The rink is historic and beautifull place to skate. If I remember, there is a cable car to the top of the mountains and a short walk from the rink. :D

Well just wanted to say hi again. Have not skated since Nationals but did a couple of ice shows in my area and I have another one tomorrow night . Liz manley and I got to be the features. Great shows, with great skaters, I did stilts and PT Barnum.. :mrgreen: ( you didn't think Id actually skate did you) :lol: Talk to you all later. ;)

Lives to skate
04-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Still looking for a hotel. Many are full already! Got any ideas? Burton

starskate6.0
04-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Burton

Best thing you can do is do a google on Oberstdorf. There you will find the local tourist buro web site. They have information on hotels and gaust hauses and a direct email address. They will get back to you in 12 hours Im sure. Also most small towns in germany have an advert board at the railway station of each town or at the tourist buro in town it self. This is so tourist can find a quick place to stay if they arrive on the spot without reservation. Some have a direct phone like the ones you find at airports here. These are mostly found at the big ski towns like St Anton so Im not sure what you would find there. I Id this a lot and got a cheap bed every night when i bumbed my way around Europe years ago. Keep in mind this is going to be early summer so you may be hard pressed to just roll up and try your luck. I hope this helps you out. Good luck. see you there. :D

blue111moon
05-02-2005, 07:26 AM
I made the plane reservations so I guess I'm committed now. :lol: The only thing left is to find a hotel room for the night of June 12 in Munich since my flight home leaves too early on the 13th to drive there in the morning. Any ideas?

We're going to Mountain Cup first, then doing the camp there and then driving to Oberstdorf. I don't usually skate that much in a month, let alone in a week! I'll be lucky if I can move by the time I get to Germany.

sk8pics
05-02-2005, 08:42 AM
I just made my room reservation, at the Oberstdorfer Einkehr. I think there are plenty of rooms, just not if you go through expedia or travelocity. For anyone who still needs a room, check the oberstdorf.de web site, and you can search "Quartiere suchen" and get a list of hotels. For each hotel, you can check availability, but you have to call or fax or email to make the reservation. I'm feeling very proud of myself because I made the reservation in German; the person who answered the phone told me she only spoke English badly ("schlecht!" when I asked her if she spoke English) and we had a laugh about that. Fortunately I know enough German to get by. I picked this hotel based on location and the fact that they accept Visa.

If anyone has questions about particular hotels, feel free to PM me.

And blue111moon, I was advised for look for an Intercity hotel in Munich because that tends to be located close to the train station. I haven't done that yet, but I will soon since my flight home is also too early on the 13th to get there on that day from Oberstdorf. I can let you know when I do, if you want.

Pat

Mrs Redboots
05-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Anybody looking for a reasonably-priced hotel in Europe could do a lot worse than book into an Ibis Hotel - basic, but clean and comfortable, and you get a great breakfast buffet. There are several in Munich, click here (http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/JSPView.svlt?pageID=reservez/fr_top.jsp&isGeoDate=1&hotel_ou_ville=Munich&annee_depart=2005&jour_depart=13&mois_depart=6&jour_arrivee=12&code_chaine=IBI&nb_nuit=1&isGeoVille=1&nom_ville=Munich&y=8&x=7&mois_arrivee=06&annee_arrivee=2005&key_attribute_ecran=geo_hotelsList) for details. There is a Lufthansa shuttle bus linking the hotel Muenchen Nord (the first one that comes up) to the Airport, I gather, so that's the one you want.

If you really want to pay more for a mini-bar and a sample bottle of shampoo, then go to the Munich Airport Hotels Guide (http://munich.airporthotelguide.com/) for other options.

sk8pics
05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
There are a million (okay, not a million, but a lot!) hotels listed on www. munich.de . And you can see how many are close to the main train station. I plan to spend a little time in the city, so I'll pick one walking distance to the train station, from which you can get to the airport, too.

Pat

starskate6.0
05-02-2005, 07:09 PM
g-day all
;)
I spent many years traveling on trains in Europe and thought i would pass this on. If your planning on traveling by train you will find it is very easy to do from any of the Airports in Europe. Most if not all have rail connections, machines to buy tickets, ( if you don't speak the lingo ). and the schedules are easy to work out. In Germany , you can land in Munich and get a train to the city station. There you change trains to Oberstdorf. Tolal time is about 3:30min. Cost is about. 28 euros one way. ( $30 US I think).
The views are to die for and the trains are wonderful. ;) schedules are easy to read, ( even in German), If you would like a schedule in english go to www.bahn.de this is the official web site for German train schedules . type in destination and times, and you will get a schedule and time for your train. You can even by your tickets on line before you get there. :D

Good Luck.

tdnuva
05-03-2005, 12:59 AM
There are a million (okay, not a million, but a lot!) hotels listed on www. munich.de . And you can see how many are close to the main train station. I plan to spend a little time in the city, so I'll pick one walking distance to the train station, from which you can get to the airport, too.

Pat

Hm. Just a hint to be cautious. The areas around train stations are not always the best in town, you know? In this case, Munich... a colleague of mine (male) was once booked into a hotel opposite the main Munich train station by the company. He then found out that he was about the only one in the house who was booked for the whole night........

sk8pics
05-03-2005, 06:04 AM
LOL, tdnuva! Yes, I can imagine some hotels in that area would be a problem. But I did this last time I was in Munich and it was fine. Your warning is good to remember, though.

And my boss's boss, who is German, tells me you can get significant discounts on train fares by buying in advance on line. Even if you pick an option that gives less of a discount he says he still buys his tickets in advance on line.

Pat

blue111moon
05-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know how specific we're supposed to be on the list of elements for the free skate programs? I assume they want the jumps, spins and footwork sequences listed with the program times but do they care about stuff like pivots and power-pulls (which seem to make up 90% of my program!)?

sk8pics
05-03-2005, 06:10 PM
My coach only listed jumps, spins, spiral sequence. The other things you mentioned would be covered under the program component scores, or maybe increase the difficulty entering a particular element.

manleywoman
05-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Here's another hotel that now has 2 double rooms available, since I just had to cancel them:

http://www.weinklause.de/

I had made reservations at two places accidentally. D'oh! But they've been so nice to deal with that I hope someone here will take the rooms so they don't go empty. The Winklause is just 6 mins. walking distance to the rink.

coskater64
05-12-2005, 01:54 PM
I also just listed jumps, spins, and footwork sequence. Those are the elements, as I understtod it, then they look for flow, power, transitions, etc.
:D la

Mrs Redboots
05-13-2005, 06:24 AM
Here's another hotel that now has 2 double rooms available, since I just had to cancel them:

http://www.weinklause.de/

I had made reservations at two places accidentally. D'oh! But they've been so nice to deal with that I hope someone here will take the rooms so they don't go empty. The Winklause is just 6 mins. walking distance to the rink.I do hope you don't mind, but I've posted this info - anonymously, of course - on the Mountain Cup Yahoo Groups mailing list (which is doing double duty this year!).

sk8pics
05-13-2005, 07:37 AM
I think there are plenty of rooms available if you go directly to the hotel listing on oberstdorf.de, rather than through expedia or travelocity or something like that.

I'm staying at the Oberstdorfer Einkehr which is probably about a 10 minute walk from the rink. If you use oberstdorf.de to look for hotels, they have links to check for availability for each hotel although you will have to call or email the hotel directly to actually reserve a room. I know that when I checked, there were rooms available at the Oberstdorfer Einkehr on the web site, and when I called that was true, too.

Pat

manleywoman
05-13-2005, 04:33 PM
I do hope you don't mind, but I've posted this info - anonymously, of course - on the Mountain Cup Yahoo Groups mailing list (which is doing double duty this year!).

Nope! Don't mind. I hope someone takes the rooms so they don't lose any business. They've been super nice.

starskate6.0
05-23-2005, 10:21 PM
The word is there are 130 skaters from 17 countries going to the open event in Oberstdorf. Thats great ;) I wish every one the best of luck. I love the idea that this is an Open event to every one and not a qualifying event for the elite, ( as elit as adults can get that is). It gives us all a chance to travel to another country to experience overseas competition and meet new friends around the World. I hope the ISU keeps it this way, lots more fun with more people don't you think. :D I feel Adults are very luck to get the chance to skate like this with each other without the preasure to qualify.

See you there. :D

manleywoman
05-24-2005, 08:25 AM
The word is there are 130 skaters from 17 countries going to the open event in Oberstdorf.

129 skaters.
Looks like I can't go. :cry:

It was always a gamble or me, being the owner of a small business, I wasn't sure how the workflow or cashflow would be for May/June, but it looks like it's not happening. I'm holding out hope that I win the lottery tonight!

Good luck to everyone, and show us pictures when you return!

2loop2loop
05-24-2005, 09:09 AM
The word is there are 130 skaters from 17 countries going to the open event in Oberstdorf. Thats great ;)

Wow 17 countries! That is a good turnout. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Mountain Cup has maybe got up to 12 or 13 countries but never 17 as far as I know! Does anyone have a list of where everyone is coming from.

Mrs Redboots
05-24-2005, 12:13 PM
129 skaters.
Looks like I can't go. :cry:

It was always a gamble or me, being the owner of a small business, I wasn't sure how the workflow or cashflow would be for May/June, but it looks like it's not happening. I'm holding out hope that I win the lottery tonight!

Good luck to everyone, and show us pictures when you return!Oh NO.... I'm so sorry - I missed seeing you skate at AN, and now I won't see it at all.... and I had some soap for you. :cry: I am sorry!

manleywoman
05-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh NO.... I'm so sorry - I missed seeing you skate at AN, and now I won't see it at all.... and I had some soap for you. :cry: I am sorry!

Awww! Thanks for thinking of me!

starskate6.0
05-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Awww! Thanks for thinking of me!

So sorry to hear your not coming manley.. :cry: In any case Im not sure of the exact numbers for the event, it was just hear say . Im sure there's an offical number out there. Maybe next time for you Manley.. :D

skaternum
05-24-2005, 03:15 PM
So sorry to hear your not coming manley.. :cry: In any case Im not sure of the exact numbers for the event, it was just hear say . Im sure there's an offical number out there. Maybe next time for you Manley.. :D
Sorry to use this thread for this purpose but ...
starskate6.0,
please check your PMs!

starskate6.0
05-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Sorry to use this thread for this purpose but ...
starskate6.0,
please check your PMs!

Just check in on my PMs no messages :roll: I sent you a reply to your question... was there anything else.. :?:

Mrs Redboots
05-25-2005, 06:48 AM
I was told that the Mountain Cup has 130 competitors from 12 countries, and probably 210 starts (I think - I may be taking that out of the air!), and that Oberstdorf has 127 competitors. And I WISH I was one of them - the Organising Committee have told me to SAY THINGS to Ottavio Cinquanta, who is coming.... and I plan to. :halo: :twisted:

Other Woman says he (Cinquanta) won't know what's hit him - not with us saying things, but that he will be in for a shock! Especially as she and Husband are skating in the first class, and we are all hoping they'll be drawn first ("What, us set the standard????"), because wouldn't it be the greatest thing to be the very first-ever skaters? Even though I'll just be doing the coach "thang" with water-bottles by the barrier.....

blue111moon
05-25-2005, 07:29 AM
I designed my FS program for O'dorf specifically for the purpose of seeing how COP works at the lowest end of the spectrum it contains exactly what the level description in the announcement listed and at the lower end of the difficulty scale besides. Since the vast majority of club level skaters in the US are in the lower levels (Pre-Pre and Pre for the kids, (pre-Bronze and Bronze for Adults), I want to see what COP does with those programs - I told my coach I want to see if it's possible to get a negative number - :lol:

starskate6.0
05-28-2005, 09:49 AM
I have never delt with the list of elements before. :roll: I was wondering . Do you have to stick with the elements in your list. :?: can you change them out, do something different. :?: add more jumps and spins etc. :?:
Take things out :?: Skating not too good as of late.

8O got hurt yesterday trying somthing new, may have to tone this down a bit...Any clues here.? ;)

sk8pics
05-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Ross,
Skaters do make changes on the fly at times, and the technical caller should make the adjustment for marking by the judges. But I don't know if you can make really drastic planned changes after you have submitted your elements sheet. Why don't you email the organizers and ask? And fill out a backup sheet and bring it with you if they say it's okay.

If you are making changes on the fly, be careful not to go beyond the guidelines for your level. For example, if you end up with too many jumping passes, you won't get credit for the extra ones.

Pat

Mrs Redboots
05-28-2005, 10:02 AM
I have never delt with the list of elements before. :roll: I was wondering . Do you have to stick with the elements in your list. :?: can you change them out, do something different. :?: add more jumps and spins etc. :?:
Take things out :?: Skating not too good as of late.

8O got hurt yesterday trying somthing new, may have to tone this down a bit...Any clues here.? ;)As far as I know, you get marked down if you don't do exactly what it says on the tin.... list, sorry (British commercial whose catchphrase has entered our language).

But I'm no expert on the NJS.... any coaches lurking who have been to a recent seminar can help us out here?

Hope you aren't badly hurt - we want to see you skate!

jp1andOnly
05-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Skate Canada is having us Adults use COP at nationals next year so I've attended numerous seminars. This is what I know. Of course this competition may have different rules....

You do NOT get marked down for changing elements. The reason they want the elements is so the caller can kinda prepare on whats coming next but they do not input any information until after you do the element.

You can NOT add extra elements. Well, you can but they don't have a value. There are only a certain number of alloted spots (ex...for junior bronze in canada we can only do up to 6 jumps and 3 spins). The extra spins and jumps you may think of adding at the end would just get a 0

You CAN'T end up with negatives. The way the point values are written is that it doesn't allow for that. You might end up with insanely low numbers, but no negatives

As far as I know, you get marked down if you don't do exactly what it says on the tin.... list, sorry (British commercial whose catchphrase has entered our language).

But I'm no expert on the NJS.... any coaches lurking who have been to a recent seminar can help us out here?

starskate6.0
05-28-2005, 03:29 PM
As far as I know, you get marked down if you don't do exactly what it says on the tin.... list, sorry (British commercial whose catchphrase has entered our language).

Thanks Mrs Redboots.
:D I want to skate well too but my program has changed quite a bit because of the injury . I added some extra things but had to tone it down in other places, by the sound of it I wont get the credit for it. Well I quess it wont matter anyway. If I get a chance to even step on the ice of this most famous ice rink it will be a thrill. Ill just have to do the best with what I have. Im really looking forward to the week off and just to sit on my little balcony on my day's off drink good coffee and look at the mountains.

The piece and quite of it all sounds wonderful. :D
Looking forward to meeting you there.

Ross,

Mrs Redboots
05-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Ill just have to do the best with what I have. Im really looking forward to the week off and just to sit on my little balcony on my day's off drink good coffee and look at the mountains. Oh, me too Ross, me too - we have trained so hard lately we're both exhausted! Now we have a recreational match this afternoon, and then two more training sessions before we leave for France - the competition will be a rest before the strenuous training camp next week - and then I get to have a whole week off! Husband and Other Woman are skating at O'Dorf, but I'm not, unless we get to go on the ice at the welcome party. Goodness, but I can't wait!

starskate6.0
05-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Im hitching a free ride with my airline and it will be all about an empty seat. The plane is booked in coach but first has 15 open so far. ( that would be a shame to have to site in first ).........But Ill get there. See you there :D

Ross.

starskate6.0
06-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Ross,
Skaters do make changes on the fly at times, and the technical caller should make the adjustment for marking by the judges. But I don't know if you can make really drastic planned changes after you have submitted your elements sheet. Why don't you email the organizers and ask? And fill out a backup sheet and bring it with you if they say it's okay.

If you are making changes on the fly, be careful not to go beyond the guidelines for your level. For example, if you end up with too many jumping passes, you won't get credit for the extra ones.

Pat Thanks Pat..... ;)

manleywoman
06-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I officially withdrew yesterday. :cry:

Have a great time everyone! We want details and pictures!

starskate6.0
06-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I officially withdrew yesterday. :cry:

Have a great time everyone! We want details and pictures!

So sorry to hear your not going to Oberstdorf , perhapes well see you at another event soon. :cry: ;)

singerskates
06-03-2005, 04:57 PM
That's too bad that you had to withdraw. Here's to next year. Hopefully the ISU will have it in Canada or the US? Please, pretty please?!!!!!!!!!!!!!