View Full Version : Purr or Hairball 7th-13th

flo
03-07-2005, 09:14 AM
In honor of the felines, Violet and Capers who kept me up all night.

Purr - got to skate Saturdy at club, and had a good practice. We're considering having an upper level freestyle for the first hour (it's 2 1/2 hours) and then the group lessons. By the time I teach group lessons and play with the kids I'm frozen and the ice is icky. So I moves my lesson to first thing of club.

Hairball - no news on the new skates.
By the way - congrats Nova on your 1 1/2 rotation on one foot.

Anyone need a roomie for Nationals? I'll be going in right before the silver events, and then right out.

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanx for the encouraging words, flo.
I hope to eventually get the tango camel/pair sit as well.

Purr: Singles coach called me this morning and told me that she is moving my lesson to Tuesday morning (hockey season is finally over). It had been on Fri. morning, but it was scheduled at the same time as my pair lesson, which is at a different rink. So hooray, I'm back to a normal lesson schedule. I'll have those doubles in no time. :P

Hairball: New lesson time on Tues. morning. ;) I usually skate on Monday night in a lovely gossip-infused adult public session, and of course, I ain't gonna give that up. :D

jenlyon60
03-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Purr:

-- Got skates sharpened on Saturday at a different skate shop, and also got my blades realigned. Blades feel 100% more stable and centered than before.

-- More nice changes to the Tango today. My "new improved" copied from the American Waltz intro still works much better than the traditional intro with a progressive-LFO3. Coach is happy about that other than I'm flicker-footing the free foot a bit (which I probably would be doing no matter which intro)

Hairball:
--the "c(*&" corner in the Tango is still really rough, especially on the 2nd pattern. So it gets special attention on my next 2 lessons.

Only 6 more days until Test Day... fingers crossed I skate well....

Elsy2
03-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Purr: Had two lessons in the last week, and they are probably the first lessons I've had in over a year!
The first was learning the tenfox on noon ice iwth oly one other adult :D The second on a public session that was not crowded at all. On public session I tried the tenfox with my partner in crime.........we did get thru a pattern or two!

Hairball: I guarantee you, our tenfox is UGLY!

LoopLoop
03-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Jen, where did you get your skates sharpened?

jenlyon60
03-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Paul Friedenberg at Wings of Steel.

Very happy with the result, even if it is a haul to get there (and probably about the same distance for me as going to Waldorf would be).

He's more expensive, though.

Debbie S
03-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Where exactly is Wings of Steel? Is it in that shopping center at the intersection of Rts. 29 and 198?

kiwibabe
03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Purr: I got my own ice skates on Saturday, yay! They are Risport Antea which fit me really well, which are fine for me since I'm just starting out. And I have a lesson tonight yay, I have to work on my crossovers.

Hairball: My ankles are sore due to me trying to break in my skates, I've been padding my ankles up and they hurt less, hopefully the skates will break in soon. Also I now cannot stop on my new skates, the blades are so much sharper and I keep digging in to much. Oh and my cats woke me up at 4.45 am this morning wanting breakfast.

jenlyon60
03-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Close. If you're on 198 heading west, it's just past the shopping center on the right. There's a Chinese and some other sort of restaurant, then an attached small house with a red roof that sits back a bit from the other buildings. I saw the sign and turned and drove around behind the restaurant and back up to where he's at.

Where exactly is Wings of Steel? Is it in that shopping center at the intersection of Rts. 29 and 198?

Melzorina
03-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Woohoo, I started working on the loop jump on saturday. I'm desperate to try it out, as I didn't get much of a chance. I'm wanting my mum to take me to an early morning session before school tomorrow as we're making an early morning trip to the airport, and it would be conveinient. But no. She did say she'd drop me off, but not stay, meaning I'd have to get the train back, and wouldn't make it to school in time. It's really annoying me.

Not so good: Still can't center spins.

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Where exactly is Wings of Steel? Is it in that shopping center at the intersection of Rts. 29 and 198?More info is available on their website (http://www.wingsofsteel.com/).

They ARE the sharpest tool in the shed! :D

MusicSkateFan
03-07-2005, 02:52 PM
NoVa Sk8r,

How dare you call our Monday night a gossip-infused session! Boy, am I gonna have things to tell the others about you tonight...LOL!!!

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
NoVa Sk8r,

How dare you call our Monday night a gossip-infused session! Boy, am I gonna have things to tell the others about you tonight...LOL!!!It's a good thing the session is 1.5 hours; with all the drama/gossip, I can at least get in 30 minutes of skating. :D
I'll be there tonight, so watch out!

falling_rain
03-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Purr: i did some nicely centered sit spins and camel spins yesterday, and am going to try reproduce them today. yay!

Hairball: 8O *chokes on hairball* pfft. axels. horrid, mean jump that tortures me to no end. i keep landing sideways then falling. ouch. :??

i'm off to get ready for skating! toodles!

Terri C
03-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I usually skate on Monday night in a lovely gossip-infused adult public session, and of course, I ain't gonna give that up. :D

I'm sooo jealous- adult public session here in SE VA- what a concept- never mind the fact that you can do freestyle on it too! I feel like a deprived child! :cry:

For my practice today- the loop was purring and the sitspin was coughing up hairballs- if it showed up at all! :evil: :frus: :giveup:

skatemex
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Purr: I have a new coach who has a much better attitude than the last one who used to yell at me all the time.
The camel, and sit spin are slowly getting better positions but there's still alot of work to do on them and the jumps are slowly getting more consistent.
Hair Ball:All of my elements need to be more consistent. I haven't made too much progress sometimes i feel kind of stuck.-

Skate@Delaware
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Synchro:
Purr: Our routine!! This will really kick-butt for the spring show!
Hairball: she wants to add another number for us to do, even though we haven't worked the kinks out of this routine

Spins:
Purr: Scratch spin!
Hairball: don't always hit it and sometimes I really travel :oops: !

Overall:
Purr: I feel really good about my skating, even my crappy inside 3-turns aren't quite so crappy!
Hairball: Jumps are planned for Fridays class-I'm not very good at them. Also, after the spring show, the ice melts and I have to find someplace else to skate for the summer :cry:

dbny
03-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Purr:
I think today's lesson was the best I've had in a year. First, I've been coaching every day of the week since December, so I've been on the ice every day even if I haven't had much time for practice. I think it has finally begun to pay off in the comfort I feel right away when I get on the ice. Second, I've been teaching the two foot turn in place/moving to a lot of my students, and it has made the F threes start to click for me like they hadn't before. I've always rushed them, but today (I've been feeling them get better all week), I seemed to be much better able to take my time.

I could hardly believe that my choice of what to work on first was Prelim power threes. They are so much better. Hubby said I do not look klutzy at all (I believe him), and coach also said they were flowing and much faster. We went on to the alternating FO and FI threes, both of which I was able to do (not yet to passing standard). This was the very first time I have ever done the FI threes across the line without a spot on every turn. For the first time, I really have hope that I can pass Prelim moves in the forseeable future.

Another surprise was my one foot spin from a pivot. Even my two foot was lousy on Friday, but when I saw my coach coming today, I just bit the bullet and did two one foot spins, no problem. Did it again in my lesson. I'm still leaning to the right, but definitely making progress. My coach always says I am too hard on myself because I have more technical knowledge than others at my level, and so I expect to do everything right immediately. You'd think I would know better by now :roll:

Hairball:
Spins leaning to right, not enough speed on power threes, still a lot of work to do on alt threes. Relieved that I didn't have to tackle the five step Mohawk today.

PattyP
03-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Hairball: 8O *chokes on hairball* pfft. axels. horrid, mean jump that tortures me to no end!

Amen! Exact same "hairball" for me!

Purr Choreography for my FS program is finally starting to feel comfortable. I had a good runthrough this morning with the exception of the "hairball" jumps listed above. Getting excited about Pac Sectionals!

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm sooo jealous- adult public session here in SE VA- what a concept- never mind the fact that you can do freestyle on it too! I feel like a deprived child! :cry: Yup, and it was relatively uncrowded tonight. Some of the 'usual suspects' did not show up, and it was a drama-free night. :( Haha!

TimDavidSkate
03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Heya nova,
How's monday nights? Obviously i havent been there lately. I am on my lazy kick these days. ;)
I should skate more there at Mt. Vernon, since I might relocate again to nyc soon.

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Heya nova,
How's monday nights? Obviously i havent been there lately. I am on my lazy kick these days. ;)
I should skate more there at Mt. Vernon, since I might relocate again to nyc soon.Monday night is great ... there are no group lessons, the idiotic hockey skaters have been staying away (do no take the syntax to infer that ALL hockey skaters are idiotic ... just the ones who skate at my rink ;)),and there are a few new faces (like MusicSkateFan).
So where've you been? My night is not complete without sassing/razzing you and trying to imitate your program moves. :D

And what's this? Moving back to NYC? What would we do without you? No longer feeling the lurve from DC? We were all looking forward to seeing your new Out of Africa program (wait, M. Kwan ddn't skate to that! What's up with that? :P ).

(Oh, did you see ... your former coach, Derrick Delmore (http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=29201), was invited to skate in the Marshalls U.S. Figure Skating Challenge cheesefest. That's kinda cool.)

TimDavidSkate
03-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Monday night is great ... there are no group lessons, the idiotic hockey skaters have been staying away (do no take the syntax to infer that ALL hockey skaters are idiotic ... just the ones who skate at my rink ;)),and there are a few new faces (like MusicSkateFan).
So where've you been. My night is not complete without sassing/razzing you and trying to imitate your program moves. :D

And what's this? Moving back to NYC? What would we do without you? No longer feeling the lurve from DC? We were all looking forward to seeing your new Out of Africa program (wait, M. Kwan ddn't skate to that! What's up with that? :P ).

(Oh, did you see ... your former coach, Derrick Delmore (http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=29201), was invited to skate in the Marshalls U.S. Figure Skating Challenge cheesefest. That's kinda cool.)

Niiice.
Yeh, I'm not finding this VA-DC area too kosher. I miss my friends and family too much.
- LOL, I know it's a new program, of course I have not tried it on the ice yet. I have time before Nationals. I think it might be the time when I start moving to nyc. So we will see how it goes.
- I am very happy for Derrick for getting invited. I hope he gets televised.

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2005, 10:00 PM
- LOL, I know it's a new program, of course I have not tried it on the ice yet. I have time before Nationals. I think it might be the time when I start moving to nyc. So we will see how it goes.Oh, I thought you said you weren't going to Nationals since you didn't complete your silver tests. (I must be thinking of someone else?)

TimDavidSkate
03-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Oh, I thought you said you weren't going to Nationals since you didn't complete your silver tests. (I must be thinking of someone else?)

I will be competing at the Bronze level - class I, since I did not pass that damn Silver test.

jazzpants
03-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Purr: Nothing much :cry:

Hairball: *cough* *cough* *pfffft* Forward power 3's and FI mohawks again!!! I hate this. I try to fix my FI mohawks so it would look good and instead I screw it up. (Then again, I have a feeling that my blades need to be sharpened again.) :frus:

Also, a fellow skater took a NASTY fall on the ice towards the end of the session. His head and arm was bloody when he came off the ice!!! Lucky for me, I got my skates off so I was able to run for help to get First Aid and someone to call an ambulance! I have a funny feeling the guy's gonna need stitches for his head. EWWWWW!!!!

NoVa Sk8r
03-08-2005, 05:00 AM
I will be competing at the Bronze level - class I, since I did not pass that damn Silver test.Oh, won't that be fun! You in bronze ... sheesh. You only get to preen, prance, and pose for 1 minute 40 seconds! :P Arrghhh! So many moves, so little time ...

sue123
03-08-2005, 06:11 AM
haven;t left yet, but let me say:

hairball: getting up early today after being up half the night finishing a lab report. and then getting ready way too early, so you still have time to come here before you have to leave. oh well, i'm leaving in 10 mins. here's hoping i drive to the rink safely. oh, and to top it all off, it's raining.

Mrs Redboots
03-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Purring: Had an extra lesson today to make up for missing one a fortnight ago, and at one point my coach wanted to see my back cross-rolls. After I'd stumbled and kicked my way though about half a length of them, at first holding his hands (which was totally for confidence, not needing to), and then by myself, he said, "You know, I really never thought you'd be physically able to get this move, but you have!" :D I still do them very badly, no flow, no speed, but the technique is right! Of course, I couldn't do the cross-cuts/cross strokes/whatever you call them at all well, although I did them a lot better in practice afterwards, but that's skating!

Also, I finally think I've got some music for an Interp, about time too! I was and am a bit PO with my coach (he knows, it's okay!), so I put my foot down and said that if he didn't like this then tough - I was going to do the one I first thought of... which his wife liked.... but he didn't! But I think he will let me use this music. Now I have to work out the costume.....

Balls: Hairy ones, I mean - hairballs, that is, what did you think I meant? Willow Waltz. Just wait until I get my hands on a certain Championship dancer who decreed that this was a suitable dance for pre-Bronze........ oh well, it could be worse, he could have insisted on a Hickory or a Ten-Fox (if we ever have to do either of those, I am not competing! End of.). I can stumble and kick my way through the dance, but it is not how I would like to do it! Toe-rake noises, wide-steps, husband in the wrong place when I do the 3-turn..... Gack. Swing Dance was fine, though, and even the Fiesta wasn't bad. The Canasta is being left for now, along with the Riverside & Golden Skaters, which are the two compulsories we need for the British competitions - they'll "doofa" and our coach can have a quick look a week before we need them!

TimDavidSkate
03-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Oh, won't that be fun! You in bronze ... sheesh. You only get to preen, prance, and pose for 1 minute 40 seconds! :P Arrghhh! So many moves, so little time ...

I know, before you know it, its over 8O

Are you doing Nationals by the way?

NoVa Sk8r
03-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I know, before you know it, its over 8O

Are you doing Nationals by the way?Since my pair partner will be there competing in pairs, yes, I guess I should be there, too!

sue123
03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Purr: spins! and more spins! and crossovers! i got 6 revs out of a 1 foot spin. not sure what my personal best is, but according to my coach, since i just started lessons not long ago, it's pretty good. and crossovers, as long as i don't let my upper body droop, it's all good.

hairball: the weather. it was nasty when i left, nasty when i was coming back, and even nastier when i got out of class and had to clean off my car. my doors were frozen. it took me and some cute guy named julio to get the trunk of my car open so i could get the ice scraper. but then he helped me finish scraping off my car, so i guess it's a hairball converted into a purr.

Terri C
03-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Purr:
My sitspin actually showed up today!!! The ice was great and it wasn't as crowded as it usually is on Tuesdays because of what I'm about to describe under the Hairball part!

Hairball:
The day started off with rain, then it went to a rain/snow mix, then all snow ( we had a "thundersnow" at one point) and blizzard like conditions until 3pm today, when it all stopped and was so sunny that if it weren't for a few dustings here and there, one would not have known that it snowed!
The real hairball part is that because of the weather, my lesson was cancelled! That's okay because I'll be getting a lesson with my new secondary coach on Thursday in place, then a lesson on competition ice on Sunday morning!
Really, if I weren't competing this weekend, I wouldn't have skated today!

NoVa Sk8r
03-08-2005, 06:54 PM
The day started off with rain, then it went to a rain/snow mix, then all snow ( we had a "thundersnow" at one point) and blizzard like conditions until 3pm today, when it all stopped and was so sunny that if it weren't for a few dustings here and there, one would not have known that it snowed!Yeah, isn't it great when the temperature changes 40 degrees in about 12 hours? 8O I saw precipitation today that I didn't think was possible according to the laws of earth science, physics, and chemistry. 8-)

Terri C
03-08-2005, 06:57 PM
NoVa,
Was it just as bad in DC today?

NCSkater02
03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Purr:
The day started off with rain, then it went to a rain/snow mix, then all snow ( we had a "thundersnow" at one point) and blizzard like conditions until 3pm today, when it all stopped and was so sunny that if it weren't for a few dustings here and there, one would not have known that it snowed!

We got your storm this morning. We had lots of damaging high winds and hail. Then it got cold. Didn't interfere with my lesson, though. Oh, wait.....I don't have lessons right now. Danged ankle. Only 21 days until I go back to the doctor, 22 days to ice time if I can work it right and the swelling is down enough to get my boots on.

NoVa Sk8r
03-08-2005, 07:17 PM
NoVa,
Was it just as bad in DC today?When I headed to the rink at 6:15am, it was pouring, then it was still raining when I was driving back at 8:15 (God, was I at the rink that long?!). As I was coming home (i'm just south of the Beltway in Virginia), the rain drops became very heavy. Then there was a bit of hail, then some sleet, then freezing rain, then snow. And the wind-- Eek! When I got to DC at 10am, it was like a blizzard. When I headed home at 5pm, it was gorgeous outside. When I got home, my car was covered in ice. I had lots of fun chipping away!

Debbie S
03-08-2005, 11:02 PM
When I headed to the rink at 6:15am, it was pouring, then it was still raining when I was driving back at 8:15 (God, was I at the rink that long?!). As I was coming home (i'm just south of the Beltway in Virginia), the rain drops became very heavy. Then there was a bit of hail, then some sleet, then freezing rain, then snow. And the wind-- Eek!

Sounds like my day, NoVa. I left home at 6:30 to pick up coffee for a professional association breakfast meeting and it was pouring outside, arrived downtown a little after 7 (still raining), unloaded 3 Dunkin Donuts coffee containers into an office building, managed to get locked in a parking garage (don't ask), and left the meeting early to make a class project team meeting in College Park at 10. About halfway down I-95, the rain almost instantly changed to snow, which coincided with traffic coming to a complete stop. By the time I got to campus (and had to park way, way down in the student lot due to most of the spaces having filled up already), it was snowing sideways. 8O Yes, the first half of my day was one big Hairball. :evil:

But then I went skating tonight and it was mostly Purr. My loop feels higher and stronger - of course, my coach might think differently when she sees it. I was feeling ambitious enough to try the sal-loop. Although it was crowded, I was able to get a little moves practice in. And I did a couple of camel spins that seemed to have better positioning, although I don't have much proof of this, since I couldn't see them myself - lol!

Mrs Redboots
03-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Purr: Finally started to choreograph my Interp.... but you should see what the coach wants me to do with my Theraband!!!!! ("But don't practice that yet without me or your husband nearby to catch you!").

He's also agreed to sign our test papers for our Level 1 Free Dance, only you can tell he thinks I won't pass. I think I will, even if we get the judge he's afraid we will get - from what she told me last time I saw her, she'll pass us if we skate as well as I know we can. It's really hard to fail Level 1 - I'd be quite chuffed if I managed it..... not!

Hairball: Back not just so great again today - it seems that I get a good day and then a bad day, and today wasn't so great. Not awful.... and also it's Wednesday, which means I get to do my off-ice training as well, how nice for me, and I'm so tired.... yawn.....

PattyP
03-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Big Giant Hairball: I managed to catch a cold yesterday and I leave for sectionals tonight. :cry:

Purr: Just a little headcold, should be fine by the weekend...I hope.

tidesong
03-09-2005, 10:37 AM
practise:
purr:
landed one double sal and one double loop
hair ball:
the rink was partioned into half (long halfs) coz they were curling on the other side... :giveup:
I spent most of the session dodging people, although much later when the crowd started to leave, I got in some practise but the ice was bad by then. ah well.

Mrs Redboots
03-09-2005, 11:40 AM
I keep forgetting to add that I'm finally beginning to master twizzles! Last Wednesday I could do both FI ones and one FO one. Now I can do both FI, both FO AND both BO ones, AND I have done 1.5 revolutions on the FI ones, but very badly!

Nobody would call them good or beautiful, but they are there, and it's a start!

NickiT
03-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Purr
Great lesson today. My field moves flowed more and my programme was the best yet! My coach said it really looks like MY programme now, and that I was really stretchy and making a big effort with presentation. My second run-through felt pretty good too and my lutz-loop actually flowed and felt like the best I've done in my programme yet.

Hairball
On my second programme run-through there were four skaters standing near where I do my camel-sit spin and this distracted me so I messed the spin combination up. I struggled to get a good one out again after that, but once my lesson was over I had it back no problems.

Nicki

jazzpants
03-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Secondary coach and I were working on my prelim moves spirals today! This stemmed from my working on forward alt. crossovers. The reason for the spiral exercise was to get better leg extension on the forward alt. crossovers. Secondary coach wants to make those perfect, so that I can afford to screw up one of the move elements and still pass!

Purr: The height for my spiral is getting better and I think I'm getting better on the FO spirals at least.

Hairball: THEN came FI spirals, which I have NEVER EVER worked on!!! Both sides were crappy but one side was significantly worse than the other. And I have HOMEWORK to do tonight in front of her when I practice later on tonight... :twisted:

I guess I'm the comedy relief for the freestyle session this morning, given that everyone is feeling better about going to Sectionals now. Also, I guess it's fun for some reason to watch her put me thru the wringer during our lessons. (Sorta like a Gladiator match...) :twisted:

flo
03-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Jazz,
I have a spiral sequence in my program, and the L forward inside takes some work!
Good job on the added height!

Melzorina
03-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Purr: Not ice wise, but hey. I work my spiral...everyday. Not intentionally either, just say in the mirror seeing how far I can get my leg up, or if it's dark, use the window so I can see my full body length, and somedays it's pretty high. (Not on ice though :() Then the other day I tried the splits (something I've never been able to do) and I'm SO SO SO close!

That's also a goal. Being able to do the splits.

dbny
03-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Purr:
After teaching the tots this morning, I had a public session all to myself for the first hour. I warmed up with stroking, crossovers, F & B power crossovers, and Pre-prelim edge patterns. I then tackled alt threes and power threes, did one round of B crossovers to BO edge, and five step Mohawk. Coach has asked me to skate the Prelim test every time I practice now, to build up the stamina for testing, so I did that too. It was altogether a great practice, and I worked up a good sweat doing it. By the end, I was flying around with a variation on the F power crossovers, in which you insert a chasse before the crossover. It felt so smooth and fast. That's the feeling I live for.

Hairball:
Spins would not cooperate at all. FO threes are still not secure.

Michigansk8er
03-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Hairball : Might was well start with the bad stuff. I fell on my footwork this afternoon (trying a tweak from yesterday's lesson).............flat on my back with a thud. My ponytail saved a major headbanger, but I can't move my wrist. It seems to be getting worse by the minute. I sure hope it's only a sprain.

Purr : I was able to get back up and do some decent spins.........and the blasted footwork without killing myself again. My back made it through just fine. Those bolts are in there good. :D

aussieskater
03-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi dbny - some more questions about the lingo used over there:

What is a "power crossover" as opposed to an ordinary crossover? You say later in the post that you insert a chasse before the crossover - does that mean that you alternate the crossovers left to right? (If so, then I *think* it's similar to what we call "Russian stroking"?)

What are alt 3's and power 3's? How do they differ from ordinary 3's?

What is a 5-step mohawk? (And why can't I get an ordinary mohawk to co-operate??)

And last, how do you get the smilies to insert? I've tried drag-and-dropping them but they won't come over to the message.

Sorry about the dumb questions but the terms are not ones we generally use down here, and I'm looking for our alternatives to understand the post...Thanks!

dbny
03-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi dbny - some more questions about the lingo used over there:

What is a "power crossover" as opposed to an ordinary crossover? You say later in the post that you insert a chasse before the crossover - does that mean that you alternate the crossovers left to right? (If so, then I *think* it's similar to what we call "Russian stroking"?)

What are alt 3's and power 3's? How do they differ from ordinary 3's?

What is a 5-step mohawk? (And why can't I get an ordinary mohawk to co-operate??)

And last, how do you get the smilies to insert? I've tried drag-and-dropping them but they won't come over to the message.

Sorry about the dumb questions but the terms are not ones we generally use down here, and I'm looking for our alternatives to understand the post...Thanks!

Power crossovers = Russian stroking, same move, different name

Alternating FO and FI three turns are a USFS Preliminary move (or Adult Pre-Bronze) . They are done on a line across the rink. There should be four FO threes going across, and four FI threes coming back (when testing). The hard part for most adults is checking the FO three sufficiently to hold the BI edge back to the line so you can step forward for the next FO three on the other foot.

The five step Mohawk is another USFS moves in the field pattern. It's in Pre-Juvenile (or Adult Bronze). You begin (after 4 to 6 onpening strokes) at one end of the long axis with a RFI Mohawk (steps 1 & 2). From your LBI(step 2), step to a RBO edge (step 3), step forward to an LFO edge (step 4), Step 5 is a RFI slide chasse (the L slides off the ice to the front). Begin again with a LFI Mohawk. Each step should be for one beat and an even cadence should be kept throughout.

Smilies - You are going to :lol: . Position the mouse pointer (cursor) where you want to insert the smiley, and CLICK on the one you want! The code will be inserted, and when you post, you will see the smiley.

dbny
03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Hairball : Might was well start with the bad stuff. I fell on my footwork this afternoon (trying a tweak from yesterday's lesson).............flat on my back with a thud. My ponytail saved a major headbanger, but I can't move my wrist. It seems to be getting worse by the minute. I sure hope it's only a sprain.

Purr : I was able to get back up and do some decent spins.........and the blasted footwork without killing myself again. My back made it through just fine. Those bolts are in there good. :D

I'm glad your back is OK, but do ice your wrist. If it swells, go to the ER right away, it may be broken. I really do hope that is not the case, but it may be better to go now than take a chance on waking up in pain in the middle of the night.

aussieskater
03-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks dbny - that makes a lot more sense. I could wish we had some of those moves tests here - what we have is (a) no division between standard and adult track - everyone tests the same (and to the same standard), and (b) no "moves" tests as such. We do have "pattern" tests which must be passed before the corresponding free test, but these are more like the old figure tests. On the other hand, I couldn't pass any of them right now, so maybe it's best that I'm able to moan about their lack (since after all I'm in a position where no-one can call on me to do the test!!)

tidesong
03-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Hairball: I woke late so I had to have my lesson later, which is after the group of kids had their massive group lesson that takes up half the rink and the ice gets horrid. Well its my fault for waking late I guess.

Purr: I did another axel-halfloop-double sal today yay.... but no double sals by themselves were in sight
I did at least stay on my foot for one of my double loops during lesson.... but it was underrotated :frus:
My flying camel was ok-ish... I keep 3-turning my take off, we sort of got it settled by the end of the lesson... but its something that keeps needing fixing.
Flying sit decided to appear today!

flo
03-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Michigan.. hope you're ok!

Hairball: Still in my old skates and spooked about doing the lutz in the program. I think Nationals is going to be a wash. It's in one month, and I still don't have my skates. Grr.

Purr: I finally managed to get a flight into Lyon (eventually) and out of Munich!! Since I've been unable to practice the jumps as I normally would, Mm spins are actually getting more reliable. Last night I had camel-fly-camel, camel-sit-back sit.

Michigansk8er
03-10-2005, 02:38 PM
I didn't sleep much at all last night. Fortunately, the pain is better this morning (maybe all of the Advil has finally kicked in). I won't have the x-ray results until tomorrow. I'm opting for major sprain, since the pain was similar to when I did a nice number on an ankle years ago. I have a splint, which is helping a lot. Now, how to get my skates laced.

I made the dumb mistake of going in the hottub last night. It made my other aches and pains feel better, but did the wrist no favors.

FrankR
03-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey all,

Here's my first half report for the week.

Hairball:
For some reason I've felt a bit uncomfortable with my edges so far this week. I thought I had adjusted on Saturday on my first on-ice session since the sharpening but Tuesday and today have felt very strange. Since I was fine on Saturday I don't think it's the sharpening and I'm thinking it's me. :?? It just feels like my feet are going to slide out from underneath me at any moment. It's not like the edges aren't grabbing but they're just so deep. Eek! 8O My spins need a fair amount of work, especially since I seem to tighten up in my program run-through. Every run-through this week has been marked by a wobbly camel into an equally wobbly sit. Grr. :evil: I can do these spins so much better in isolation. I'm not sure what's missing during the run-through.

Purr:
I got a moves lesson this week! Yee-ha! :D We've been working on gold moves and they're quite the challenge. Although we have been working on power circles we took a step back and examined my cross-over technique in more detail. Then we started on brackets. Um....yeah. Brackets. :?? Those need tons of work. For my freestyle, by and large the jumps almost always show up in the run-through. Today I had a glitch on my flip but that's rare. Even with the messy flip I still got in lutz/axel sequence and axel/toe-loop/loop in the run-through without problems in the first minute of the program or so. The flying camel made a grand appearance today. It spun immediately upon landing and spun very fast. The footwork feels a little better each time. I'm hoping that the problem areas in the program get ironed out in the next month or so. I'm starting to really get into the music now and I'd hate to show up in Kansas tripping all over my feet. That would so kill everything. :P

Well take care and skate well everyone,

Frank

FrankR
03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I didn't sleep much at all last night. Fortunately, the pain is better this morning (maybe all of the Advil has finally kicked in). I won't have the x-ray results until tomorrow. I'm opting for major sprain, since the pain was similar to when I did a nice number on an ankle years ago. I have a splint, which is helping a lot. Now, how to get my skates laced.

I made the dumb mistake of going in the hottub last night. It made my other aches and pains feel better, but did the wrist no favors.

Hey Michigansk8er,

So sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope you feel better soon.

Frank

Terri C
03-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Had a good and productive session today,which bodes well, since I compete this Sunday.
I wasn't supposed to start with my secondary coach until the 22nd. But, my primary coach cancelled my lesson on Tuesday (damn crazy a#$ March weather) and secondary coach had a open slot today, so I took it.
She had me run through my program not once , twice , but THREE times. In between runthroughs, we worked on the elements that I missed during the previous runthrough. It felt as if I got stronger with every runthrough.

Now we'll see what happens since I will not skate until practice ice at the competition on Sunday morning at 0700 (ugh) !

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2005, 06:43 PM
For my freestyle, by and large the jumps almost always show up in the run-through. Today I had a glitch on my flip but that's rare. Even with the messy flip I still got in lutz/axel sequence and axel/toe-loop/loop in the run-through without problems in the first minute of the program or so. The flying camel made a grand appearance today.Suddenly, I feel so inadequate. My camel for an axel, my camel for an axel ... :P

dbny
03-10-2005, 09:55 PM

Sorry you had a bad night, and happy that you are feeling better. Why no x-ray results for a day? Anytime I've had x-rays, or kids have, we got the results right away, even saw the pic ourselves. Anyway, hoping it's like you think, just a major sprain.

FrankR
03-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Suddenly, I feel so inadequate. My camel for an axel, my camel for an axel ... :P

Hey Stephen,

I would so gladly trade you one of my axels for your camel spin. Does anyone know of a good witch-doctor who could pull off the exchange?!?! ;)

Frank

Mrs Redboots
03-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Went to dance club last night.

Hairball: We were late. Normally we go separately by public transport, but last night two visitors and former club members were coming and we all went out to dinner with them afterwards. As I didn't want to go home alone on the bus late at night (husband would have had his bicycle), he came home to pick up me and the car, but then had an urgent e-mail to send for work which kept us late. Not too badly, but badly enough that I wasn't quite ready when the session started.

Husband can NOT partner the Willow Waltz, and I don't care what anybody says, it is largely him, not me. I can't do that 3-turn and step on to a back edge in the proper direction if he's in my way, now, can I? Okay, I probably don't partner him too well through his Mohawk.... Oh bother whoever-it-was who thought it was a good idea to "challenge" pre-bronze dancers with this dance (Yes, I do know who it was - someone go and strangle him for me, please!).

I am losing my voice again, just like I did in Scotland! Hmm, maybe the whisky that worked so well then would work again - on the other hand, better not, as we have our Latin class tonight....

Purr: Almost all the other dances we did together were better than ever - we did a really good Swing Dance (okay, my Mohawk was a bit off, but not too badly), a fantastic Prelim/British Waltz.... even our Fiesta wasn't too ghastly. And on the lower-level dances, we both felt our edges were better than ever, really steep.... It was fun!

Plus we had a pleasant meal out afterwards, not hugely stuffingly filling, but not bad, either.

jazzpants
03-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I would so gladly trade you one of my axels for your camel spin. Does anyone know of a good witch-doctor who could pull off the exchange?!?! ;) Sorry Frank! I'm a witch doctor but my powers are only limited to blessing the ice for PattyP at a competition at my home rink! :P :lol: (And BTW: OMG!!! Frank...you have come a LOOOONG way!!! Working on Gold Moves and now a Silver level skater too!?!?! I still remember you not too long ago as a beginner!!! Sheesh!!!)

Purr: Primary coach liked my alt forward crossovers and was very happy with the forward stroking around the rink...or at least he's not picking on me about it. He says "Do you know... that the whole entire time I was stroking with you today, you didn't have ANY toe scratches? Not even ONE???" (Now thinking about it... WOW!!! I actually lived to see the day where I can do forward stroking and not have ANY toe scratches!!! :mrgreen: )

Hairball: Guess my FI mohawk and my intro FO3 for the power 3's got caught in a hairball during the lesson, though it was a bit better after the lesson! GRRRRR!!!! And now we're really working on those power 3's!!! We're getting rid of some of those really lazy back crossovers (on practically ALL the moves!!!) and working on stepping to that BI edge consistently on both sides instead of doing them on one side most of the time and practically none on the other side for the alt. back crossover move. :roll:

Melzorina
03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Yes, I do know who it was - someone go and strangle him for me, please!

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick meee! I'll do it!

For a fee, I can make sure he never challenges pre bronze dancers again, amongst other things such as breathing. :lol:

FrankR
03-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Sorry Frank! I'm a witch doctor but my powers are only limited to blessing the ice for PattyP at a competition at my home rink! :P :lol: (And BTW: OMG!!! Frank...you have come a LOOOONG way!!! Working on Gold Moves and now a Silver level skater too!?!?! I still remember you not too long ago as a beginner!!! Sheesh!!!)

Hi Jazzpants,

It's great to finally meet a witch doctor! ;)

Thanks so much for the compliments. I really appreciate it. :)

I guess I have come a long way in the past five years. I think I'm not always reasonable with myself and I spend too much time thinking about what I can't do yet instead of enjoying the stuff I can do on the ice.

Kudos to you on your accomplishments as well! :bow: I can tell you that the scratchiness of my stroking is one of my moves coach's pet peeves.

Send me a PM and let me know who you are. I'd love to chat some more and catch up since the last time we saw each other. :D

Take care,

Frank

sue123
03-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Purr: crossovers, stroking, and dare i say it? foward power pulls! i felt good today, i had lots of speed skating around, and lots of speed going into spins.

hairball: i think i jinxed myself on the other thread because i couldn't do backward power pulls, which i used to do. but i did get foward power pulls around 3/4 the length of the rink, don't know how that happened. :giveup: it was also a bit crowded since there was apparently no school today, so lots of little kids. but i've seen much more crowded. it wasn't so bad, just crowded enough for them to cone off the center and for me to almost get impaled by some 13 year old trying to do a spiral. only she wasn't in the center. she was outside in the normal skating area. i wasn't to near her, but i was behind her and going faster then she was, so i knew i'd pass her soon, and then all of a sudden, i see this foot coming up towards me. and therre were no rink guards since it's usually just me and two other people there on friday afternoons.

Michigansk8er
03-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry you had a bad night, and happy that you are feeling better. Why no x-ray results for a day? Anytime I've had x-rays, or kids have, we got the results right away, even saw the pic ourselves. Anyway, hoping it's like you think, just a major sprain.

I have no idea why I always have to wait for x-ray results. Seems ridiculous! Anyhow, good news is that it was just a major sprain. Horray!!!!

NoVa Sk8r
03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey Stephen,

I would so gladly trade you one of my axels for your camel spin. Does anyone know of a good witch-doctor who could pull off the exchange?!?! ;)
Nah, I want to keep my camel--it's really been good to me, and I get an amazing high each time I do it.

It would be nice to have the axel (that's looking less and less likely every day), but I've got to accept the elements that I DO have and showcase my other strengths. <cue sappy music>

That said, maybe we could trade my flying camel for the axel. :P

dbny
03-11-2005, 07:31 PM
I have no idea why I always have to wait for x-ray results. Seems ridiculous! Anyhow, good news is that it was just a major sprain. Horray!!!!

And let me add: Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

coskater64
03-11-2005, 08:02 PM
A short but good week:

The bad first: Dance coach kicked me doing the foxtrot on the open mohawk, to readjust I hopped and as I did he changed his arms slightly, kinked my vertebrae in my neck/shoulder and tweaked those rhomboid things. Ack!

The good: Skated 2 clean programs, the double sal is really easy so long as I keep on a straight line. Fixed my 2toe by doing 2toe wally. So much easier, changed my footwork to make it harder, slip step is working okay. 2loop actually looks like a pivot jump and is on one foot, the right one. Will try that in my open group @ an's not any other events though.

Really not bad, just wish I could get a better handle on how things work.

la ;)

Scarlett
03-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Back on the ice after a 6 week forced break..felt really good!!!!

Purr- I managed to do 5 very nice spins. Cut my music and my coach likes it. Had nice big toe loops and waltz jumps.

Hairball- My salchow has taken a leave of absence. I wouldn't call it a jump as much as a 3 turn and then a mini spin with a change of foot. I'm hoping it comes back. I miss it!

falling_rain
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Purr: my coach managed to fix a slot for stroking class this week! i love stroking class. to some extent it is torturous but at the same time, i feel my stamina improving and also i find my speed increasing. my first stroking class, i fell on my lutz after the half hour workout cos my legs were just killing me. my last stroking class i did my entire program clean after the whole shebang, with some (but not very much, hehe.) energy to spare. :)

hairball: sigh. i'm so out of shape after two weeks of no stroking class. i dread to think how slow i will be tomorrow as compared to the younger kids who are all landing their doubles and even working on their double axels. 8O

jazzpants
03-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Okay, finally I have a chance to post Wed. night's practice...

Purr:
Well, my secondary coach expected me to do plenty of practice on my spirals and that's exactly what I did! She wants me very stretched!!! And well, I see my spiral on the glass reflection and it's definitely higher now. :) It's also a good loop day too!

Hairball:
Unfortunately, it was a bad flip day. I could only do so many of those spirals that evening b/c my sciatica was starting to act up from all the sitting I was doing all day. (Gotta request my new company to get me a sit-stand workstation.) :( Also, too many people... can't practice my Bronze moves except in isolation... :(

I heard this wonderful jazzy piece on the radio on my way home from the rink that I hope to do as an artistic piece (if not a technical piece) but I'm not sure the coaches would buy it. (Sorry guys! I can't post the name of this piece... as do all my programs, the music and the program is top secret until a month before I compete with the piece!)

russiet
03-12-2005, 07:35 AM
PURR: The footwork sequece my instructor showed me 2-months ago, and told me I would master...I have! Many other moves I once had to concentrate on executing have become a part of regular skating. Sometimes improvements creep up so gradually that they're not easy to see. Stepping back for some perspective on my 3-month self evaluation gives me a good feeling. Purrrrrr.

Big, VERY BIG, HAIRBALL: Hockey tournaments have taken ALL of the weekend ice time! On top of that, both of my regular arenas will have ice-out as of March 31st. I won't have regular ice time again until September!

Arhhhhgggggg!!!

I'm putting in an order for Pik-Skates. The sports floor will be in by the end of April. That's better than nothing!

FrankR
03-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Hello all,

So here's what happened in the second half of the week.

Hairball:
The scratch spin at the end of my program has gotten very travelly. :roll: In isolation, at the beginning of the session today I did one that was reasonably well controlled and wasn't too bad in terms of speed. In the run-throughs either I travel several feet or it barely spins. I can see why they call it a scratch spin. It's had me scratching my head for weeks! Yeesh! :evil: In addition, the axel has been a little off yesterday and today. I feel like I'm slipping off the take-off edge sometimes and it's causing me to launch off the ice with a ton of height but leaning which makes me spin out of the landing. Then when it takes off properly it feels like I'm getting a little lost in the air and I'm guessing when to check out for the landing. This hasn't been a really serious problem because just about every time I've guessed correctly and I've landed it without a problem but it freaks me out. I'm used to having a better sense of knowing where I am in the air. Let's hope this is a temporary problem. :??

Purr:
The program run-throughs have been of better quality in terms of pacing and comfort in terms of the steps and in-between stroking. This has been especially nice because just a couple of weeks ago I was landing everything without a problem but then tripping over my toe-picks just trying to stroke in between the elements. Despite the camel-sit not being where I want it to be yet I have felt a bit of an improvement with it. My freestyle coach and I also did a lot of work on the flying camel today and by the end of the session it was flying and camel-ing. Yay! :mrgreen: In the past this has been a strong element for me but as my moves coach told me a few weeks ago it's "mutated." It felt good to have a sense of it returning to the level where it used to be. Now I hope it sticks. :lol:

That's it for me this week. Take care,

Frank

melanieuk
03-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Love the title. :lol:

Not been seriously skating for a while so I was quite pleased.

Purr
Did jumps up to and including flip.
Didn't attempt lutz cos I'm a wimp.
Axels no longer exist in my memory.
Field moves are definitely rusty but happy enough with them.

Hairball
Fieldmoves - back outside 3s with mohawks the opposite way (CCW) are yakkety yak. No-go.

Toe loop sucks. This is so easy for everyone else. I would rather lutz than toe loop. Mwhahaha. It just feels awkward.

Layback - oh deary deary me. :oops:

Backspin - oh Lordy. :giveup:
Even back camel had a better chance.

Mrs Redboots
03-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey Melanie - welcome back! So pleased you are back on the ice, hope it will be permanent. Well, you know what I mean - regular might be a better word!

melanieuk
03-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey Melanie - welcome back! So pleased you are back on the ice, hope it will be permanent. Well, you know what I mean - regular might be a better word!
Thanks Annabel. I'm trying to go once a week. I want that backspin. :twisted:

Melzorina
03-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Purr: EVERYTHING!!!

I finally persuaded my mum to go skating with me, she actually tried it and was fairly good at it. Then she watched the patch session. My lesson was magnificent. Everything went well! I had my first real attempt at my loop jump. It went quite well. I can't do it with speed and grace yet but to say I'd never jumped it before I'd say I did damn good!!! Also my instructor liked all my jumps. I did my best salchow ever, a lovely controlled three jump, a nice cherry flip, and a loop. We also worked on spins for a few minutes, and I centered a spin!!! That's when we started working on backspins. They are tres tres funky, but also difficult. I need a 3 revolution backspin to begin with, and then we'll work on it, so far I can only get two!!! But, as I say, I've never backspun before, so 2 revolutions on my first attempt isn't shabby!

Later on in the session, my and by instructor were going backwards, only slowly.

THUD!

It was Mel who was on her ###, wasn't it?
And who might have she collided with?
Oh yes.
Mr. Instructor.

I thought it was funny, and thankfully so did he. I was just sat on the ice waiting to be picked up, and blamed it all on him. He insisted it was half his fault and half my fault. What a nice way to leave each other for... 3 weeks. :(

Mrs Redboots
03-13-2005, 04:02 AM
Purr: Worked on our free dance, which is improving - I now have to focus on being "tidier". I know what he means, but oh boy, is he picky! Even on where I keep my foot in our spin (which has made it go bad again!). Plus he finally agreed that my occasional problems with our RFO3 are mostly Husband, not me! :) Not to say it isn't sometimes me - but not always. He agrees our Swing Dance is much better, too.

After our lesson I went through the Festival Cha-cha on my own. This is a very easy dance until the very end, when you have to let go of your partner, do a 3-turn, step to forwards and find your partner again - I usually bottle the 3-turn and end up just doing two edges, insisting that this is a variation often danced at my rink (so it is - usually by me!). So I made myself do the 3-turn, and later grabbed my husband and made him walk through it with me and managed it, to my delight! Also walked through the Willow Waltz solo and managed it.

Hairball: We walked through the Hickory Hoedown, too, but I still can't manage that wretched 3-turn! Grrrr..... and I still sometimes stick my bum out when doing my RFO3 in both the Willow Waltz and our free dance. Usually when Husband forgets to step out of my way, mind, but.... If I remember to harden my middle, of course, it works better!

Also my back cross-rolls - they are really good if someone is holding my hands, we'll be able to put them back into our free dance when we rechoregraph it again for competition, but still hopeless solo. And I've just remembered I forgot to practice my cross-cuts. Bother!

LoopLoop
03-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Had to withdraw from a competition today for the first time ever. My husband woke up at 3:30 a.m. in horrible pain and I took him to the emergency room; turns out he has a kidney stone.

If I'd been skating later in the day I might have been able to pull it off, but I was going to skate practice ice at 8:15 and my event was scheduled for 9:40. Since we didn't get home until almost 7, I decided not to do it.

samba
03-13-2005, 12:13 PM
You poor thing Looploop I hope your husband is much better, tell him the next time he decides to get a kidney stone to do so at a more convenient time (only joking). Not to worry there will be other times but only one husband... I hope. :lol:

Mel: Well done you, also congrats in getting your mum out there, watch out she may end up liking it more than you!!

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Had to withdraw from a competition today for the first time ever. My husband woke up at 3:30 a.m. in horrible pain and I took him to the emergency room; turns out he has a kidney stone.

If I'd been skating later in the day I might have been able to pull it off, but I was going to skate practice ice at 8:15 and my event was scheduled for 9:40. Since we didn't get home until almost 7, I decided not to do it.OMG!!! Hope everything is OK?! I was wondering where you were. I had a feeling something was up when I got to the competition and didn't see your car. (And another weird thing, as I was telling Terri C and Debbie this morning, I awoke at exactly 3:30am with a sense of dread. That's very bizarre :?? )

We'll chat later .... give my regards and well wishes to Eric.

flo
03-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi Loops, hope hubby is better soon!

LoopLoop
03-13-2005, 01:33 PM
OMG!!! Hope everything is OK?! I was wondering where you were. I had a feeling something was up when I got to the competition and didn't see your car.

He's doing better now, but it was not a fun morning. And now I feel bad because I didn't call the competition to withdraw; I left you a message at 7 a.m. asking you to tell them for me, and since you didn't get it... oh well, I just emailed them with an apology and the reason.

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
He's doing better now, but it was not a fun morning. And now I feel bad because I didn't call the competition to withdraw; I left you a message at 7 a.m. asking you to tell them for me, and since you didn't get it... oh well, I just emailed them with an apology and the reason.The one time I forget my cell phone ...

mskater
03-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Awe, poor Loops:( Sorry you weren't able to compete and I hope your husband's feeling better now.

Nova, how was your skate? Did you go for the flying camel?

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2005, 02:13 PM
NoVa, how was your skate? Did you go for the flying camel?It was a great skate, and I came in first! This comp was special because I usually get so nervous and throw my moves away; not here. Everything felt good. And I actually had fun and was able to concentrate more on my arm movements and stroking and speed.

The flying camel was a success. (That D-I-Saster at New Year's was more than made up for here.) Thanx for your advice yesterday. I just got settled and didn't rush it. I was quite surprised when I didn't fling myself after the landing. My biggest goal for this competition was to nail that flying camel; it had been causing so much trouble lately. :evil:

Another great moment was the back hydroblade move. I don't think I had ever gotten that low before. I was actually looking up at the ceiling during that move. 8-)
Of course, that caused a little disorientation: I came up from the hydroblade, then realized I wasn't where I was *supposed* to be on the ice ... so I went back down into the hydroblade! It was a fun moment. Afterwards, a few judges noted how much they liked that move, so I'm glad to have something that looks good and entertains on the ice.

Much thanx to Debbie S, Terri C, and MusicSkateFan for your support and kind words. :)

mdvask8r
03-13-2005, 03:30 PM
It was a great skate, and I came in first! :)

YAY!! and CONGRATS you big ham!!!

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2005, 03:32 PM
YAY!! and CONGRATS you big ham!!!Thanx, T!

What also made today special is that my Blue Devils won the ACC Tournament! :) :D :P 8-) :bow:

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2005, 03:33 PM
YAY!! and CONGRATS you big ham!!!Me? A big ham? I don't understand. :?? ... :P

LoopLoop
03-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Me? A big ham? I don't understand. :?? ... :P

Since Easter is coming up soon, it must be your time of the year to shine. :P

And thanks to everyone for your concern about my husband; he's feeling better but it might be another rough night for him.

MusicSkateFan
03-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah, you should have seen all the Judges smiling at NoVa Sk8r during the warm up. I told him after that I thought he won....I was right.

BTW NoVa Sk8r, I tried out my newly sharpened skates this afternoon at a public session, they felt pretty good. Maybe I have found a new sharpener! No too far way either. Thanks for the help getting the recomendation.

MannyisHOT
03-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Purr: Doing my program that I just got pretty perfect except for 3 jumps. Get to skate 5 times next this week! WORLDS on CBC! 7 days of coverage!

Hairball: Double Toe, Double Sow and Axel. Having 7 jumps in my program. If you separate the combos jumps it is 10 jumps in my program. Having stroking right after my program(I usually say I need to get my puffers when we are doing something I hate and then i get to get them and then I take my time taking them and usually miss half of stroking!) My coach.

jenlyon60
03-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Purr: Tested Tango today and coach and I were very pleased with how I skated it. In fact, he thought the 2nd pattern was better than the first.

Hairball: Only 1 judge agreed with my coach. So back to more cross-back chasses and what-not. (Need neater feet with better cross-behinds)...)

A bit more Purring: The 1 pass was better than the first time I tested the EW. And my new competition/test dress was looser than when I had it made 2 months ago. So now I'm re-motivated to make it looser by the next time I test in it....

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Since Easter is coming up soon, it must be your time of the year to shine. :P

And thanks to everyone for your concern about my husband; he's feeling better but it might be another rough night for him.Ironically, I hate ham. :P
I need an excuse or holiday to ham it up ... And too bad you're usually the unhappy recipient of my outbursts, dramatizations, and emoting. Sorry! :D

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah, you should have seen all the Judges smiling at NoVa Sk8r during the warm up. I told him after that I thought he won....I was right.

BTW NoVa Sk8r, I tried out my newly sharpened skates this afternoon at a public session, they felt pretty good. Maybe I have found a new sharpener! No too far way either. Thanks for the help getting the recomendation.I shouldn't have doubted you. :oops: :P
(I had only saw bits and pieces of the other guys' programs.)

I was gonna get my blades sharpened as well, but Chuck (he's awesome, isn't he?) said my blades and rockers were fine. I'm going on 3 months here and I skate 8-10 hour/week. I love 'dem Pattern 99s!

Debbie S
03-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm now home after my loooong afternoon in the computer lab at the business school with a class project group (none of us had a clear idea of how to do the assignment, so we decided to just wing it and give it our best shot).

I was glad to be able to watch Terri C and NoVa at CRC this morning. NoVa was awesome - hydroblading, jump combos, flying camel, and all. Terri also did a great job, not her best performance, but her *skating* was definitely Bronze-like. Not to mention the loop jump - I want one of those! Their performances are all the more remarkable given how freezing the rink was - brrr! I guess we got spoiled by Ashburn. :)

The top 2 Bronze ladies were very strong - well everyone was. I'm definitely going to have to work hard to ever be competitive at that level. It was nice to see everyone skating well with AN coming up. Hopefully, it'll carry over to Kansas City.

Loops, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. But at least he's going to be OK. Hopefully, you and he won't have to go through that ever again.

MusicSkateFan, was that you who was talking to NoVa and Terri and me in the lobby later in the morning? I'm sorry, I should have introduced myself.

Terri C
03-14-2005, 06:28 AM
On the way home yesterday afternoon, I got a wake up call that there is more to life than backscratch and sit spins.
While driving home on I-295 outside Richmond, I got a call on my cell from my brother. My mom had been rushed to the hospital with abdominal pain and was getting a boatload of tests done.
Needless to say I hauled a#$$ on the freeway and no one else on the road could drive fast enough for me. I got to the hospital at 6pm and didn't leave until Mom was settled in her room after midnight.
While she is at the hospital I work in, I'm not working today, given the exhaustion and nervousness. She's also on a different floor than the one I work on and I could see mysely running up and downstairs to check on her and talk to doctors, if need be.
So, with all that- I'm off to the hospital to see how her night was!

FrankR
03-14-2005, 07:32 AM
On the way home yesterday afternoon, I got a wake up call that there is more to life than backscratch and sit spins.
While driving home on I-295 outside Richmond, I got a call on my cell from my brother. My mom had been rushed to the hospital with abdominal pain and was getting a boatload of tests done.
Needless to say I hauled a#$$ on the freeway and no one else on the road could drive fast enough for me. I got to the hospital at 6pm and didn't leave until Mom was settled in her room after midnight.
While she is at the hospital I work in, I'm not working today, given the exhaustion and nervousness. She's also on a different floor than the one I work on and I could see mysely running up and downstairs to check on her and talk to doctors, if need be.
So, with all that- I'm off to the hospital to see how her night was!

Hi Terri,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's illness. I hope she's doing okay.

Frank

LoopLoop
03-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Terri, keep us posted on your mom's condition.

flo
03-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Terrie,
Hope your mom is better soon!

Debbie S
03-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, Terri. I hope she turns out to be OK. Keep us posted.

Terri C
03-14-2005, 03:41 PM
I've been here at the hospital since 8:30. It feels weird to be here when I'm not working.
Mom's now getting a CT of the abdomen, which should give the doctors some answers. It was frustrating to give her the contrast drink, since for awhile, she kept throwing it up!

mikawendy
03-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi, Terri--
<<<HUGS>>> to you. I hope your mother will be okay. My mom had the same experience with a contrast drink recently--it was awful!!

jazzpants
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
(((((Terri C))))) I'm so sorry you're going thru this! :cry: :cry: :cry: