View Full Version : Cleaning Skate Laces

Kelli
03-04-2005, 05:33 PM
How do you clean (white) skate laces?

dbny
03-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I soak them in hot water with soap for an hour, then scrub them and hang them on the radiator to dry.

mikawendy
03-04-2005, 06:44 PM
I've never cleaned my laces because I usually accidentally cut them with my blades while skating enough so that they need to be changed before getting too dirty...

but I've heard that you shouldn't use bleach because this weakens the laces.

TashaKat
03-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Buy a new pair :D

Or you can stick them in the washing machine or you can hand soak OR you can wear OTB tights so that you don't need to clean your laces (or your boots for that matter)!

NickiT
03-05-2005, 05:15 AM
I put them in the washing machine inside a washing tablet net bag. They come out lovely and white!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2005, 06:24 AM
I put them in the washing machine inside a washing tablet net bag. They come out lovely and white!

NickiSo do I. Then hang them over the line to dry, which doesn't take very long.

russiet
03-05-2005, 06:46 AM
I use black laces. They never look dirty.

vintagefreak
03-05-2005, 07:55 AM
I wear over the boot tights! :)

Seriously, I have had luck soaking them in Oxy Clean and then washing them in a mesh bag with the regular wash.

iskatealot
03-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Im sorry but why not just buy new laces?? :P Other wise I suggest boot covers or over the boot leggins which also helps the fact that your boots dont get as scratched

samba
03-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Depends where you are they are like gold dust in my area, I'm sure my neighbours think I'm mad when I have laces out on the line to dry.

Hann
03-05-2005, 12:13 PM
i have pink laces instead of white, i got board of the whiteness of my skates. um, i just stick my white ones in the washing machine or buy a new pair.

Hann

dbny
03-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Depends where you are they are like gold dust in my area, I'm sure my neighbours think I'm mad when I have laces out on the line to dry.

RainboSports (http://www.rainbosports.com) is having a big sale right now, including laces. You can tell all your friends and put in an order together to save on shipping.

Isk8NYC
03-05-2005, 08:06 PM
I put them in a jar with hot water+soap. Shake and soak overnight. Then, rinse and hang 'em over the shower rod or radiator. Can't be bothered with scrubbing, so they don't come out perfectly. Good enough for Government work, as they say. Buying new laces is better, though -- it reduces the chances of having a lace break just as you're getting ready to skate.

I foolishly bought beige skates. Did you know it's very difficult to find laces that match the color? Nylon's more common than my preferred cotton laces. I end up buying white laces, washing them to get rid of the sizing, then dying them beige with a combination of coffee, tea, and blue dye. Next time, I stick with white skates.

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2005, 04:58 AM
RainboSports (http://www.rainbosports.com) is having a big sale right now, including laces. You can tell all your friends and put in an order together to save on shipping.I honestly don't think it's worth getting laces sent all the way from the USA! Samba, you can order them from Les Westaway - just telephone him, and he'll post them next day, or if anybody you know is going, get them to buy a pair for you while they're at it.

dbny
03-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I honestly don't think it's worth getting laces sent all the way from the USA! Samba, you can order them from Les Westaway - just telephone him, and he'll post them next day, or if anybody you know is going, get them to buy a pair for you while they're at it.

Oops! I didn't realize that Samba was across the pond.

triple twist
03-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Does OXYCLEAN actualyl work?? Ive seen it on TV and im totalyl amazed by it haahah!

Kelli
03-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

Well apparently my laces are just WAY dirtier than everyone else's! I soaked them in hot soapy water and then scrubbed with soap after, but they're still a bit dirty. Oh well, they look a lot better.

I don't like the look of over the boot tights or boot covers, so that's out. I could buy new laces, and was thinking about it, but for some reason I get attached to one pair of laces (the length, material, or something) and the local sport store (not the good skating store, which is a bit of a drive) never has exactly the right kind. Besides, I'm cheap.

So I scrub my skates with alcohol, sand down the rough spots where I've taken off some of the leather (with fine grain sandpaper, recommended by the good skate store), and paint on a fresh layer of white polish. They passed coach's inspection, so it's all good.

Isk8NYC
03-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Cheap? Well, my excuse wasn't tight-fistedness, it was my proscrastination! I would always forget to pick up new laces, even when I knew one was getting weak. The night before a show or competition, I'd be panicked because my now-clean skates looked crummy with the filthy laces. (Now, I keep the nylon ones in my bag for emergencies.)

The only problem with my last-minute-Lena method was that the tips of the laces would get loose from soaking. Mr. Klingbeil used to have a crimping tool that put tips on, but he doesn't have it anymore. :-(

Well, you received lots of suggestions from the Board. Use them in good health.

russiet
03-06-2005, 07:32 PM
...The only problem with my last-minute-Lena method was that the tips of the laces would get loose from soaking. ...

Before lace tips split & allow the ends to fray, I do this: Wick super glue into the lace ends.

Then if the tips should ever split, the lace material will stay round & remain stiff instead of fraying.

Jon

mikawendy
03-06-2005, 09:35 PM
And if you're at the rink before you realize the tips are frayed, you can wrap a bit of first aid tape (or skate tape) around the tip of the lace. It's not a permanent solution, but at least you'll be able to get the laces in.