View Full Version : Ice Time!

fall_in_love
03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
How much public ice and freestyle ice does your rink have? When I used to skate 2 years ago..I was able to go every day after school..and on the weekends for public ice. and now.. 2 years changed. and Im back into figureskating.. little did I know that figureskaters only have freestyle on Tuesday. Friday. and Saturday. i'm sorry. but something is wrong with that!? I skate alot more than that. and they only have public ice on Fridays Saturdays and Sundays. My mom said its because hockey has basically taken over the rink... it makes me sad. :??

NCSkater02
03-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Hockey makes money, figure skating doesn't. Rinks tend to do what makes them money.

Bites, doesn't it?

AshBugg44
03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
http://lloydcenterice.com

Lots....we have no hockey!

NickiT
03-03-2005, 06:15 AM
Our ice time was cut right back in August at the start of the hockey season. It wasn't bad for us adult skaters as we still get an hour after school starts each day, plus are able to skate on the public session which is quiet during term time. Also we have two to three lunch-time patches per week too. Unfortunately for the kids, some ice time was taken away which was a real shame. Of course we all lose the odd patch here and there when something that brings in big amounts of money takes priority. It doesn't seem fair but I guess if they didn't make money from such events, we'd not have a rink to skate on.

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
03-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Our rink is three years new and still struggling to make money. So, we have lots of hockey. On the other hand, the manager realizes that lots of people in the area like the entertainment of the shows (we made more money that he expected during Nutcracker-even turned people away at the door) so he asked for more shows and more nights per show.

We have a pretty good spread between hockey and figure skating, but if you take away all of the lesson times, it is mostly hockey. He recently added an adults-only session on Sundays, which is full price at $5 plus skate rental. This past Sunday was the first time and there were 12 on the ice--we skated the whole time--no one left for the snack bar!

Basically, we have public several times a week, plus a split rink session (half the ice is broom ball). I can't remember the whole schedule. I try to go on Sundays and Thursdays, when it is not crowded with crazy hockey kids. Our rink website is www.skateatthefair.com Our daytime sessions run at half price plus skate rental which is a good deal. The rinks up north are $8 a session.

The bad thing is when it closes for the summer right after our spring show :cry: