View Full Version : Synchro Nationals- anyone else there?

CanAmSk8ter
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I saw Stormy in the rink lobby one day, but I wondered if anyone else was there competing? I know several of you here do synchro, but I think a lot of you are on ISI teams. Did anyone go to their Nationals (was that last week too?)? My team is pretty much done for the year now, so I'm desperate for some synchro conversation!

icedancer2
03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I remember having this feeling after Synchro Nationals last year -- no one (almost) on these board would talk about it very much, so I assumed that there weren't any USFigure Skating Synchro people on the board. There is a synchro board, but I don't know the URL.

Did you have fun? We didn't go this year because a) we couldn't get decent ice-time for practice and b) Hosting NAtionals took up a lot of our time.

I hope you had a good time -- I remember you were a little anxious about trying Synchro!

Mel On Ice
03-01-2005, 01:09 PM
ISI Synchro Championships are the first weekend of April in Taylor, MI, a 'burb of Detroit.

Stormy
03-01-2005, 03:02 PM
www.synchroboards.com is the board you're thinking of. I moderate on there and it's a fun board to check out! :)

CanAmSk8ter
03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
I had a great time! I actually ended up being an alternate for the season, but it really didn't matter to me at all. I like my coaches and my teammates a lot, and while the other competitions were stressful because of the long hours and extra practices and whatnot, Nationals was a blast. We stayed at a really nice hotel, my parents were able to come, and for the rest of my life I'll be able to say I competed at the national championships. My team had kind of a disappointing skate, but we can still say we're ranked among the top ten teams in the country.

I watched a few of the adult teams at unofficial practices and I was impressed by the quality- I don't remember adult teams looking that good the last time I saw a synchro competiton, which would have been Easterns in 2000. I'm considering trying out for an adult team next year if I can find one reasonably close by.

icechick
03-02-2005, 01:18 PM
It is timely for me that this thread should appear here. The other night I was asked to join the adult synchro team at the rink where I practice and I tentatively agreed. I've only skated pairs since I started skating and now, without a partner, am venturing into singles. I'm wondering about the attraction to synchro though....For those of you who do it, what is it that you like about it?

Stormy
03-02-2005, 01:24 PM
The team work and camaraderie. The feeling of skating fast down the ice with your friends. Working on different maneuvers and formations. Traveling all over the East Coast for competitions. Competing with your friends. Trust me...as soon as you get into it, you're HOOKED! It's so different from singles skating but in a great way.

Figureskates
03-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I can thank the storms across the country from preventing me attending the event, eventhough it was down the road. No rest for the weatherman...