View Full Version : Rough rate of progress for an adult skater?

crayonskater
02-24-2005, 12:17 PM
So I've been fooling around on ice skates for about a year and just started private lessons. I'm really enjoying myself, even if I'm just doing edges on a line.

But I'm 25, and while I realize I probably won't be able to do anything 'cool' due to starting so late, I have no idea what kind of progress is typical or can be expected from someone who never skated as a child. Most of the figure skaters in my club, even the ones close to my age, started skating as small children.

Many of you seem to have started skating later in life: how fast did you progress? What did you find really tricky?

Just curious. 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Ah, to be 25 again! :P

A lot of adult skaters started late in life and have made wonderful progress--and many have neat tricks, amazing flexibility, and awesome spins, etc. And you are still very young to be starting out. Don't get in the habit of ever comparing yourself to the kiddie skaters; it's a different ballgame.

Just get out there and enjoy ... and maybe we'll see you in the competitive ring, soon? 8-)

TashaKat
02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi

Everyone is different, it's impossible to say how fast you will progress. It depends how much time you can get on the ice, your balance, your determination, LOTS of stuff :D

HOWEVER ... don't think that you won't be able to do anything 'cool' (though it depends what you mean by cool).

I started when I was 32. My aim was to skate backwards competently. I struggled with going backwards to start with but once I'd cracked it I preferred (and stil prefer) skating backwards to skating forwards.

Anyway .... once I could skate backwards I wanted to do a 3-jump and so it went.

Unfortunately due to circumstances I've not really skated for a few years now though I still don't say that I've given up!

When I stopped skating I was working for my UK Inter-Silver Compulsories (no mean feat) and was working on axel and double jumps (I've tried all doubles except 2axel). Spins weren't my best element but I could do a fairly good upright and scratch, backspin came and went, sit spin was ok but could have done with sitting more and the camel often had the hump ;) I had a go at a 'headless' spin and was also learning the layback. I had also been taught the butterfly which I loved. I also had a go at pairs but that wasn't for very long unfortunately.

If you want to see some of the things that you can do you can check out my very out-of-date website:

http://www.geocities.com/lynne_99_uk

I was lucky in that I had fantastic coaches who didn't treat me as an adult skater, they treated me exactly the same way that they treated their kid skaters.

I skated before work between 5-7 days a week and really enjoyed it. I would dearly love to get back into it but finances, my horse, my job, my time and a stupid ice rink (unfortunately I had to move house so am no-where near my old rink) that isn't particularly adult friendly have put paid to that for now :(

You only limit yourself in your mind. I never set myself a limit, I don't care if I'm older than the kids, there is no reason for me not to learn. I used to skate on patch with the kids (a lot of them competitive) and they were fantastic, they would help me and were very supportive. I remember my Prelim Free and my Bronze Dance tests. They all lined up at the barrier and as I was waiting for the music to start they all did a great big cheer. That made me laugh and really relaxed me and I skated the best two tests that I've ever skated, apparently I grinned throughout. When I came off the ice having passed they all came up to me, hugged and kissed me, they were as pleased for me as they would have been for each other.

The world is your oyster :)

Good luck and enjoy :D

skaternum
02-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, those of us who started in our 30s think you should be grateful that you got to start in your 20s! :)

The answer to your question is, of course, it depends. It depends on how much time you skate per week, how much natural talent you have, what your body shape is like, what your general fitness level is, etc. All these variables get tossed into the equation.

I agree with NoVa that you should never compare yourself to the kids. They'll generally progress faster than you, just as you'll generally progress faster than I did. (It's just a general observation, not set in stone, that the younger you are, the faster you progress. But don't forget the other variables.) If you simply must compare yourself to someone, compare yourself to other adult onset skaters. We're different from the "returning" skaters who skated as kids. Better still, don't compare yourself to anyone! Just enjoy the process of skating and learning!

ETA: my first reaction, when seeing your question was "glacial!" :D

froggy
02-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Crayonskater,hi welcome to the world of adult skating, I never skating as a child and I began this year at the age of 24 to skate with lessons. Sure you can and will be doing "cool" things on the ice. Give yourself small goals (ie: for me thats a simple 2 foot spin, backward crossovers, turns, spread eagles etc.)to attain and you can also set your eyes on even bigger goals (ie: for me thats a waltz jump, salchow and hopefully a toe jump). Try not to compare yourself to those skaters who've been skating for years, I'm sure though that at this point you are a far better skater than the average recreational skater who glides on by during public sessions---look around and you'll see how fantastic you are doing. Of course whats "cool" for your may not be for someone else. I think it's cool just to do crossovers, of course I'd love to one day do some jumps. The main thing is to enjoy it now---the lessons, the practice etc. Take one day at a time, and of course the more you invest in practicing the faster progress will come!

happy skating! p.s you may want to also check into group adult lessons as well, not only will it give you more practice but your group is your own support/cheerleading squad as well!!

Mel On Ice
02-24-2005, 01:33 PM
how did I progress? I started with learn to skate at 28, with stroking, crossovers, stopping and all. I thought I was awesome learning a spiral after 5 weeks.

I think it took a year to progress from basics like stroking and crossovers to working on jumps and spins. I landed a waltz jump at 29, probably 9 months after I started learn-to-skate. I think I learned toe loops right away, but it took an entire summer of doing 3 turns in the corner of open skate before I learned a salchow. I graduated out of CCMs into Reidells.

At 30, I tested and passed adult pre-bronze 2 years after starting learn-to-skate. I got an inconsistent loop and flip, with poor technique. I also land the one lutz I have ever done, by accident.

At 31, I worked on my first program, and participated in my first competition 3 years after learn to skate. I came in 8 out of 9. I also graduated from stock Reidells to customs SP Teris. This corrected my technique, and I lose the loop and flip.

At 32, I started working on ISI with a new coach in a new city. I continue work on technique, and get all the half jumps, for save the stag and split falling leaf. I work on spins. I pass pre-alpha through freestyle 1. I join a synchro team. I win my first gold medals ever, first with the team, then individually at a local club event. Then I start travelling for major synchro competitons.

At 33, I passed freestyle 2, and compete at my first national event as an individual. Brian Biotano sings happy birthday to me. I get the loop and flip back. I experience my first major side-lining injury. I lose loop and flip. I go through rehab, and brave competing with my ankle taped practically to my knee. I come in last. I also fail my first attempt at bronze moves.

At 34, I experience a breakthrough, passing freestyle 3, bronze moves. I get the loop back. I experience fatigue as I shift from competing USFSA synchro to ISI synchro, ISI free to USFSA free. But I still win my first USFSA gold in compulsories and artistic.

At 35, I celebrate birthday competing at ISI Adult Champs. I win the freestyle at my age group and do my first loop in competition and my first attitude spin. I pass bronze free. I still don't get the flip back, for save a few nice ones in August. I start working on the lutz from a standstill. I work on experimenting with music. My sit spin takes a vacation, but my backspin improves dramatically. Next up on the horizon is my first trip to USFSA Adult Nationals, and moving back to Michigan and working with my old coach.

-----------------------

I guess I'm trying to illustrate that while my progress was slow, I had lots of small victories along the way, and really think working at both ISI and USFSA as well as synchro helped broaden my experiences as a skater, although I didn't get elements as quickly as I would like. I'm frustrated as hell that I'm still plugging away at the stupid flip and lutz nearly 7 years after I starting skating. I'm not about to give up though, I'm having too much fun and have met too many people that make this process worthwhile.

skatemex
02-24-2005, 01:36 PM
I think it's kind of hard to start late, but you can still learn and do lots of things; just look at all the skaters in this forum some do amazing spins, jumps, or have beautiful skating basics, all of those things are really cool and hard.
I'm a male, I started skating in november 2003, i was 22 , now I'm 23 and I'm working on single jumps up to the lutz and sometimes combined with the loop and spins like sit sipn, camel, and backspins, of course the quality of them is not good at all and I'm not very consistent :oops: I guess you need a lot of time to improve, a lot of patience and to know that there are good and bad days. :cry: But when you are able to land a jump or do a spin for the first time or watch your improvement in terms of what you were doing 1 year ago it can be very rewarding.
It's nice to know someone who started around my age good luck!!!

TreSk8sAZ
02-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I know I'm a bit younger than you, but I started skating shortly before my 20th birthday. I'm almost at my 21st birthday now (skating for about 2 years) and I am working on all of my doubles except the lutz. I've also passed many of my dances.

It really just depends on how much time you have to practice, and how much you want to. I know quite a few of the adults at my club who have all of their single jumps, and a couple who started skating later than you did who have a couple of doubles.

It will be completely up to you how far you take it. Everyone progresses at different paces. Many of the adult posters here have done great things at Adult Nationals, and it's a lot of fun to go watch them. I'd say stick with it and you'll get to the "cool" stuff when you get there...
And you WILL get there!

jazzpants
02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the world of Adult Figure Skating!!! And no, I won't give you my story of just how jealous I am that I wished I started when I was 25. The point is that I have started skating and I'm happy to be part of the sport now!!! :D

As for your original question, I agree with skaternum... It really depends!!! Oh, of course, add in financial constraints and "chicken factor" too!!!

The point I'm trying to make though is to not worry about how fast your progress you should be making. The important point is to enjoy the journey! And of course, I say this as I'm griping about my "glacial" progress on my Bronze moves! I have a HUGE "chicken factor!" Boc boc boc...(jazzpants flapping her arms around...) :P :lol:

crayonskater
02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks everyone who posted. :) I started with a learn-to-skate about a year ago, and I was skating twice a week then. Now I'm up to two hours a day, four times a week, with a lesson per week. And now BI edges are currently kicking my little butt all over the rink. 8-)

I really think all I want to achieve is enough of a comfort level to go forwards and backwards and changes gracefully. And a good scratch spin or something, solely for showing-off purposes. :) I guess if I ever get that I'll worry about what comes next then.

russiet
02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I started adult skating on hockey skates at the age of 46. That was the winter of 2000/2001. I became addicted to skating, both ice & inline.

December of 2004 I switched to figure skates and started lessons last month (January).

I now have a hugely different stance. I don't trip on my toe pick any more & I actually find I can use it instead of just avoiding it. I have several 1/2 rotation jumps (Waltz, Falling Leaf, 1/2 Flip, Mazurka, Ballet). I feel confident by this time next year I'll have some singles. Maybe sooner. I'm hoping for more, but one step at a time.

My edge work was well developed from the hockey skates, so I just needed to adjust. I had FO 3-turns before the transition. Now I have my FI 3's and BO 3-turns. I had FL power pulls. Now I also have the FR working and can do a BR almost the full length of the rink. The BL still stinks.

I finally learned to do a Mowhawk correctly.

Anyway, I'm not trying to write a laundry list of what I've accomplished. The point is that I will be turning 50 on March 26th, and I feel I have a lot I can learn before my physical/age limitation stops me.

Yes, I'm addicted to skating. I feel like I have to learn as much as possible since I have that much less time to work with!

Enjoy the journey! Put up with the disapointments and dwell on your successes.

Jon

Kit kat
02-24-2005, 08:14 PM
well its never too late to start.. i started a year ago and went from.... pre-alpha now im in freestyle 2. just make sure you never give up or you will regret it later. dont compare yourself to others! just enjoy ice skating for the fun of it! you are already cool. you started ice skating! just make small goals and celebrate when you get them. good luck and remeber never give up! :)

skaternum
02-24-2005, 08:34 PM
I really think all I want to achieve is enough of a comfort level to go forwards and backwards and changes gracefully. And a good scratch spin or something, solely for showing-off purposes. :) I guess if I ever get that I'll worry about what comes next then.Hee hee. That's exactly how the addiciton starts. *All* I wanted was to be able to do a 1 foot spin. Then *all* I wanted was to do a few jumps. Then *all* I wanted was a sit spin. Now *all* I want is an axel. Lordy, what's next? What will I sell my soul for next?? It's an insidious thing, this skating addiction! :)

jazzpants
02-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Hee hee. That's exactly how the addiciton starts. *All* I wanted was to be able to do a 1 foot spin. Then *all* I wanted was to do a few jumps. Then *all* I wanted was a sit spin. Now *all* I want is an axel. Lordy, what's next? What will I sell my soul for next?? It's an insidious thing, this skating addiction! :)Me too! At first, I started off just "skating around the rink on a Sat. night" and maybe showing off one or two 1-foot spins on rental skates. Now, two coaches, custom skating boots, three USFSA tests (two passed) and a few local competitions later...darn AOSS!!! :halo: :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
02-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Hee hee. That's exactly how the addiciton starts. *All* I wanted was to be able to do a 1 foot spin. Then *all* I wanted was to do a few jumps. Then *all* I wanted was a sit spin. Now *all* I want is an axel. Lordy, what's next? What will I sell my soul for next?? It's an insidious thing, this skating addiction! :)How very true.
And then when I stopped making any real progress in singles ... I was tricked into skating pairs. 8-) I guess there's always dance when Loops finds a real partner. :P

skatemex
02-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Nova you seem like a very accomplished skater how old were you when you started figure skating? :?:

NoVa Sk8r
02-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Nova you seem like a very accomplished skater how old were you when you started figure skating? :?:Wow, that is very kind of you to say. (But I am very ambitious and very perfectionistic, so I'm very hard on myself and at times consider myself a complete failure. Poor Loops has to skate with me AND this attitude.)

I started skating when I was 22 (7 years AND 20 lbs ago!). I took group lessons for about 9 months, then quit, as I had reached ISI level 4/5 and higher classes weren't offered. It was weird because I started in beginner adult, moved to gamma level, jumped to freestyle 3, then moved to freestyle 4/5. I skipped a few things along the way and am STILL paying for it now (crossovers, anyone? :frus: ). I wish I could have taken private lessons, but since I was living barely above the poverty line in grad school, that really wasn't an option.

I thought I wouldn't skate that much becasue I was in grad school--stuck in a research lab and teaching. But once I got hooked, I designed my experiements around skating session times and arranged my teaching schedule accordingly. I also met lots of nice and talented North Carolina skaters (and I miss them dearly :cry: ), and some helped coach me along the way.

3 years ago, I started taking private lessons, and a year ago began pairs lessons. It's been mostly fun, sometimes frustrating, occasionally painful, rarely aggravating, and never boring!

NCSkater02
02-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Hee hee. That's exactly how the addiciton starts. *All* I wanted was to be able to do a 1 foot spin. Then *all* I wanted was to do a few jumps. Then *all* I wanted was a sit spin. Now *all* I want is an axel. Lordy, what's next? What will I sell my soul for next?? It's an insidious thing, this skating addiction! :)

All I wanted to do was skate laps to get some cool exercise--I'd played softball for 10+ years and was tired of sweating. Losing weight would be a plus. After about a year of lessons (I was in Adult 3) laps were boring, so I backed up and started re-learning some of the skills I'd just kind of skimmed over. Did a Christmas show. Heard coaches talking about Adult competitions--thought I'd never do them.

Picked up a private coach at about a year and a half. It made a huge difference in my progress. I have 2 coaches--one for privates, and one for group. Since I've been the only adult (and the only one in FS 1/2/3) I've essentially had privates at group rates.

So, 3 years, 35+ pounds, and 3 competitions later, I'm terribly addicted. Now, if I could just let my orthopod agree to let me back on the ice some time soon. :frus:

I started at almost 39. It's one of the best, and at times, most frustrating things I've ever done in my lifetime. Progress comes unpredictable. Jumps come fairly easily, spins don't. I just have to keep plugging along.

skatetiludrop
02-24-2005, 11:28 PM
hey everyone, I haven't been here for ages!!! This is a really fun thread, thanx for bringing it up crayon.
I myself am an adult skater too. I've started about 2 years ago and have passed freestyle 1 test. Although I'm only freestyle 1 certified skater, I can actually skate up to freestyle 3. I can jump all the singles, except for the axel, of course (desperately trying here :frus: ). I have stopped skating for 2 months now as the rink I usually went shut down :cry: I'm kind of waiting for the new rink to be open. Anyway, I'll drop by again later. Gotta dash!!
Keep skating!!!

skatetiludrop
02-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Btw, I'm 23 years of age, male skater :)

pennybeagle
02-24-2005, 11:46 PM
I never put on a pair of ice skates until I started college, although I did have a pair of strap-on roller skates as a child...

I started in a group class for a PE credit, skated about 10 months (with about 2 months of private lessons towards the end), stopped when I went abroad for a year, started again when I came back for another 8 months, stopped again when I moved out of the country for several years, and started again halfway through grad school about 3 and a half years ago. So, that's about 5 years, give or take a half year, and I am 29 now and I compete at the USFSA Silver I freestyle level. I think I've progressed quickly, but it could be (and probably is) due to my background in competitive gymnastics, diving, and dance.

All I wanted at first was to be able to skate backwards to play intramural hockey. Then, I discovered that I liked figure skating better, and all I wanted was to be able to do a spin, and some kind of jump. By my second semester, I wanted to pass my pre-preliminary tests, and took some private lessons. Then....well, that's how it goes. My most recently accomplished goal was to land a double...the salchow actually arrived today. Now, all I want are my gold moves...
...Somehow, I never got around to playing intramural hockey.

I expect this pattern will continue until my body or bank account breaks. :)

Shinn-Reika
02-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah another male skater!

I guess you all know I'm 18 and just started this year. I have no ideah what I'll do, but I really want to get into some serious private lessons over the summer.

Unfotunately no cash! But oh well, I think it's more about having fun, and challenging yourself than what level you get to.

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2005, 02:34 AM
And Husband and I didn't start skating until we were in our 40s. We're now in our 50s, and still dreadfully bad, but have enormous fun trying. We do skate competitively against others of our age and ability level - it's totally a triumph of hope over experience, since we very seldom come other than last. It's getting closer and closer, though - we knew we had no hope of coming anything other than 3rd out of 3 at the British Adult Championships, as we knew the other two couples would have a better free dance than we did, and that was 60% or more of the total - but we hoped we would squeak past one of the couples in the compulsories. We have beaten them once, but only once! In fact, we didn't skate the first compulsory all that well, fair enough, but the 2nd - a Canasta Tango - was so close that there was only one point stopping it from being a 3-way tie! This year, we have good compulsories, Riverside Rhumba & Golden Skaters Waltz, so might pip them..... probably not, but it won't be for lack of trying. They'll still beat us in the free dance, though, but again, not for want of trying on our part!

Scarlett
02-25-2005, 08:30 AM
I am in my late 20's (30 is right around the corner...scary!) and have been skating for almost a year. I am in FS 2/3 (Darn that spin!). You can go pretty far as an adult although I think fear and time holds us back sometimes. Welcome to the skating world!

slusher
02-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm in my early 40's and signed up for adult learn to skate last season. I'd skated before, like all Canadians can do, forward toepick pushing laps in a counterclockwise direction. I had to forget all that and start with bubbles and swizzles. At the end of the class (Oct - March) those of us who wished to try a dance test could do so, we had practiced Dutch Waltz as a class. I took a couple of private lessons beforehand to learn how to skate with a partner and passed the test. Most of the class tested and passed.

This is where it gets crazy and you have to decide what to do. This year, the adult learn to skate is again working on edges, some simple jumps and spins and the Canasta Tango or Baby Blues as a dance. Slow progress, but they all skate just that once-a-week class.

I on the other hand got hooked after passing a test and went into full private lessons with the kid skaters, and skated the extended season (but no summer session). I'm still a crappy spinner, still have problems skating dances with a partner (men can be so annoying) but will finish six dances this year and have a decent attempt at my preliminary skills as well as learning jumps through to the flip. I skate 5 days a week. I'll probably try a competition next year. They kicked me out of adult learn to skate although I go sometimes just to chat.

That's why I called it the crazy part. If you want to skate and put the time and effort into it you can do well. If you just do classes once or twice a week, you will improve but at a much slower rate. Spinning is the worst thing to learn to do well. Getting over the fear of falling is also a tricky thing, you will have to learn how to fall properly, watching out for knees and elbows.

skatemex
02-25-2005, 12:56 PM
That's good Nova I started at 22 too, like year and a half ago, I saw the sit spin video in your page and the position looks very well, good luck!

Melzorina
02-25-2005, 01:02 PM
I started adult skating on hockey skates at the age of 46. That was the winter of 2000/2001. I became addicted to skating, both ice & inline.

By Inline you mean 4 wheels in a line, right?
If so, How is it that you can inline and figure skate?
I used to be able to inline skate, and then didn't skate, and took to the ice, and i got my roller blades back on and almost killed myself.

If you have any info on how to inline skate, PLEASE tell me!
I really want to take it up again, to help with posture and fitness in general, and it's the closest I can get to skating that is free.

russiet
02-25-2005, 02:11 PM
By Inline you mean 4 wheels in a line, right?
If so, How is it that you can inline and figure skate?
I used to be able to inline skate, and then didn't skate, and took to the ice, and i got my roller blades back on and almost killed myself.

If you have any info on how to inline skate, PLEASE tell me!
I really want to take it up again, to help with posture and fitness in general, and it's the closest I can get to skating that is free.

Yup, 4-wheel inline fitness skates.

The last couple of years I've switched over when the ice is taken out of the arena & they change to a plastic tile sports floor. It usually takes me a few days to change techniques. I wear pads until I feel confident. It will be interesting this year. In the past I had been on hockey skates & I think the stances are similar. Now I'm coming off of figure skates. I don't think the new stance and moves that I have will translate as well.

A friend of mine started using Pik-Skates with me last summer. I'd really like to get a pair of these. You use figure skate boots. The under carriage has a relatively large rocker for the wheels, and a bumper up front to pick off of. She can jump with them.

http://www.picskate.com/

NoVa Sk8r
02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
That's good Nova I started at 22 too, like year and a half ago, I saw the sit spin video in your page and the position looks very well, good luck!Oh gosh, I *totally* forgot about those video clips on my webpage! That sit spin was from about 4 years ago. (It's much better now. ;))

Melzorina
02-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Oh gosh, I *totally* forgot about those video clips on my webpage! That sit spin was from about 4 years ago. (It's much better now. ;))

Can we have a link Nova?

NoVa Sk8r
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Can we have a link Nova?I just watched those clips and yuck almighty! I can't believe I had someone take those videos. I need to remove them or maybe update them. I can say that I was a little more flexible back then, and I'm glad I've improved since.

mikawendy
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
p.s you may want to also check into group adult lessons as well, not only will it give you more practice but your group is your own support/cheerleading squad as well!!

Welcome, Crayonskater! I started in group lessons, which fit for my budget and time when I started at 26. My lessons were mixed age, with adults all the way down to tots in the same classes, and I totally agree about the camaraderie. I went through a good portion of group lessons with several teenagers, and we supported each other on our recent Moves in the Field tests.

Also if you get a chance, I'd recommend checking out an edge class or power stroking class for figure skaters, if there's one in your area.

Enjoy and come on over to the weekly lessons/practices thread if you want to fill us in on how your skating is going! :)

Petlover
02-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi Crayonskater!
I tried to skate as a kid, didn't think I could and quit after 20 minutes on the ice. At age 43, I tried again, and 8 years later am very addicted. I have passed through ISI freestyle 3 and dance 3, but it is a lot tougher for adults. Even though I love spinning and jumping, I get the biggest kicks from greatly improved edges, smooth dance 3 turns, and smooth mohawks! If I'm lucky, I will get past freestyle 4 in a few years, but I'm in no hurry. I also compete ISI, and last year did a few USFSA competitions, and love them both!

Good luck and keep skating!

Chico
02-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Crayonskater...(How did you come up with this?).

Skating is for YOU, and you should think about it this way. Don't look to fellow skaters as your yardstick. If you do this you most likely will not have fun. Each month or so look at your skating and you will see improvement. Enjoy your progress. =-) Skating starts small, with small goals, and as you improve and learn more you will create bigger ones. Skating is a journey, enjoy the trip, and don't fret about the destination. You will learn more than you believe now! I think the most important thing in skating is to have fun, set personal goals, have a good attitude, work with someone positive and professional, work hard, and push yourself past your comfort level. Good luck and have fun.

Chico

PattyP
02-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Very well said Chico!!

I need to remember your words when I go to the rink today.

kayskate
02-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I started skating at 25. I knew how to skate from roller skating in the street as a kid, so I never went through the "clinging to the wall" stage. Now I am 38. I have not skated solidly through all of that time b/c of job and family reasons. However, I started doing things I never really believed I could within a year or so. Now I can do a lot of wonderful tricks, mostly in the spin dept. Don't sell yourself, short. I am glad I started relatively young!

Kay

Chico
02-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks PattyP!

Chico

Casey
03-01-2005, 11:06 PM
I started a little less than 4 months ago, am a 24 year old male. I have progressed pretty quickly, and have learned all the basic elements, have the waltz, toe loop, and (as of today) salchow jumps. On good days I can spin 4 revolutions, but those days evade me. I skate rather often, 5 times a week when I was working, and nearly every day now that I'm not. No matter how much you learn though, there is always room for improvement. Every day I practice 3-turns, snowplow stops, crossovers...even just stroking. The more you work on things the more stable you get, and I'm still striving to look as confident and stable on the ice as the better skaters at my rink (even some who can't do any jumps, but do everything else with more elegance).

I think anyone can learn as quickly as they like...it's all just a matter of persistence (more time on the ice), bravery (trying again after a nasty fall), and willingness (you really CAN try to do THAT...). Surely some prefer to take more time to me, but I refuse to let my age get in the way - I have high ambitions, and am a lot more serious than the little kids who seem to have the advantage. The most important thing is to have fun, and do whatever you want to do! :)

samba
03-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Did you ever skate when you were younger?

crayonskater
03-02-2005, 12:26 PM
I never skated as a child -- I think maybe when I was six I did half of a Learn-To-Skate program. The rental boots made my feet go numb one day and hurt my ankles the next, and then I fell and hit my head, and, well, that was the end of skating for me for about 19 years, other than the occasional school party. :)

I have rollerbladed a fair amount though, and I'm very comfortable on the ice going forwards and even backwards. (I have some rudimentary crossovers.) No clinging to the wall for me!

vintagefreak
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Working on Moves in the Field helped me progress fast! I am so pleased with how my footwork and overall quality of skating and power has improved with them (bronze level). Good luck to you.

AF

aussieskater
03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Now for a non-USA perspective. This is my first post on this board, so hi everyone!

Crayonskater, my glacial progress is (hopefully) atypical! I should warn everyone that "milestones" in my skating are more like "inch-stones" in anyone else's language, but hey, I achieved them and I'm proud of them!

I started about 3 years ago as a too-close-to-40-to-worry in group classes, having never done any "balance" sport before. (Volleyball doesn't count - and even then I was in the "F" team - out of 6.) After the first class, my main aim was to leave the wall. (Yes, I hung on by my fingernails - no way was I falling!). That took some 9 hours on and off. (Slow learner here - and it doesn't improve.)

Once I left the wall, the next milestone was being able to glide forward on only one foot. That didn't take too long in the relative scheme of things, but then the bug hit. I decided that the pinnacle of my achievements would be to be able to skate backwards. Then backwards on one foot. Then being able to do all of this on the left foot as well as the right (I'm a clockwise skater, which didn't help as the group classes here cater strongly for CCW ones...)

In between all of this, the group class teachers fought hard to teach me slalom and backwards slalom (which, as someone who has never skiied and had absolutely no idea what the rhythm should be, I found extremely hard!), forward and back crossovers, figure edges (yes, our group classes do still teach basic figures to beginners, thank goodness), and other bits and bobs. No tricks (lunges, spirals etc), though.

After about 6 months of twice a week in the adults learn-to skate, I decided that maybe one or two lessons with a private coach might help, especially on the dreaded forward CCW crossovers, which were giving enormous grief at the time, and which I still don't much like doing. (Why can't we go clockwise sometimes??)

Nearly 3 years later, I now skate 4 times a week when I can, with 1 or 2 30-min private lessons each week (I usually share a lesson with a friend, which halves the cost). I doubt I'll ever jump or spin well enough to compete, even in the artistic adults divisions here, but I would really love fine fast footwork and good MIF's.

My spirals (Bauer and regular forward) are OK at best - I'm fairly flexible, but don't yet have enough butt strength or edge control to give them the extension they need. Maybe one day... (the spirals will hopefully come before the arthritis does.)

What is really giving me grief at the moment is mohawks - I can't yet change the weight from one foot to the other at the same time as changing from forward to back. (Backwards to forwards outside to outside is fine, inside to inside less so but getting there).

However long all this takes, I'm having a blast trying, and for the first time in my life, I'm not watching every single thing that goes into my mouth - it took some time to realise it, but you do work up a sweat even in a freezing ice rink - you just don't notice!

MusicSkateFan
03-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Not gonna bore everyone with my story again, but, started at 37. Check out my accomplishments on the Pree-Bronze Test results thread. I currently have all single jumps(no axel) but am considering working on the axel now. I am working towards consistent 2 jump combos and have one 3 jump combo. Plan on doing more in the combo realm now as well.

passion
03-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Great thread Crayonskater! I laughed with many of the posts.

Learning jumps is the biggest challenge to me. It doesn't come naturally for me.

My biggest piece of advice is not to compare yourself to the kids. I do it all the time and I just end up so frustrated that my skating deteriorates. I started skating when I was 19, but 2 years I couldn't walk at all because of an injury. 1 1/2 year i had no skates and 1 year I had no lessons. So, I've had a lot of setbacks, mostly financial.

As mentioned before in other posts, one goal led to another. The big milestones: skating a whole program to music, taking my preliminary test, landing my first axel at age 27, landing my first double at age 30.

I have to keep reminding myself why I'm skating: for the love of skating! If I don't put pressure on myself to keep up with the kids i won't be disappointed. I take joy in the things I do well in each practice. For me, that means doing a textbook axel or landing a double salchow uncheated.

kiwibabe
03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi I'm new as well, I'm from New Zealand and I'm 30 years old (I don't look 30 though, I still get asked for ID to buy alcohol, the legal age is 18).

My husband and I started learning to skate classes 4 weeks ago. Before that I just dragged myself around the edge of the rink, holding onto the edge for dear life.

I can now skate forwards and backwards pretty well and am currently learning how to do the spread eagle turn and forward crossovers.

Unfortunately my forward crossovers consist of falling over my boots and nearly taking out all the other people in my class at the same time. Is it possible to practice doing crossovers using inline skates? Its just that the only time available to practice is for an hour on Tuesday night and 1 hour on Saturday morning.

I think I'm getting addicted to ice skating :)

flippet
03-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately my forward crossovers consist of falling over my boots and nearly taking out all the other people in my class at the same time. Is it possible to practice doing crossovers using inline skates?

When I was first learning crossovers, I was also using inline skates, and I did use them to help me with my crossovers. I do feel that I saw improvement. I will say, though, that the balance point between (ice) skates and (roller) blades is VERY different. With skates, the balance point is more towards the ball of the foot. In blades, it's more towards the heel. I've found that I can barely rollerblade anymore, because I feel like my feet are going to shoot out from underneath me, landing me on my tailbone or head! I never feel like that in my skates.

Here's the best tip for crossovers in any boot, though----BEND YOUR KNEES! And then bend 'em some more. :lol: You can never be too low. Just be sure that you're also keeping your waist straight--you don't want to break at the waist.

Yay for you for starting out! (and hubby too...I'm impressed! :D ) It's so much fun.

doubletoe
03-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Well, I started taking a group class at 27, although when I started, I could already skate forward and backward, do crossovers, a bunny hop and a small, poorly executed waltz jump, which I learned by copying my friends when I was about 13. ;)

Within 2 years (age 29), I could do all of the single jumps through the lutz, and I could do an outside spread eagle and Ina Bauer. I skated for 3 more years, just skating twice a week and taking group lessons. Then I quit for almost 5 years. When I came back at age 37, I found out about the adult competitions and decided to get a little more serious about it. So I started skating 4 times a week and taking private lessons. I skated my first program at 37, did my first competition at 38, then landed my first axel and my first double salchow at 38. At 39 I landed my first double toeloop. I'm 40 now and want to land my first double loop by the end of the year. :D

So there ya go! You can do anything you want! And you ARE young!

Rob Dean
03-07-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm almost 44 and started in group lessons with my 10 year old son (now 11) last April. Circumstances compelled us to take off part of the summer (skating only occasional public sessions), but we've been tolerably serious since September. I've gone from shaky forward skating mostly on two feet (based on having done this occasionally as a child) to having most of the USFSA Basic 6 skills down, plus a few more advanced skills. The son is ahead, of course...

Whether that's fast or slow doesn't really matter to me at this point. I'm just wondering right now how far this will go, and enjoying the process. My coach tried me on some basic ice dance stuff last lesson, which was pretty interesting.

Rob

mikawendy
03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi, Rob! Welcome to the boards! By the way, your son has a great back lunge. I can't figure out how to get my leg down without either jamming it into the ice or coming to a complete stop, or both, lol!

Rob Dean
03-08-2005, 07:53 PM
By the way, your son has a great back lunge. I can't figure out how to get my leg down without either jamming it into the ice or coming to a complete stop, or both, lol!

You won't be seeing ME try it anytime soon. I'll hold your comment for a bit, though, as he's been having too much fun showing off lately. :-)

Rob

batikat
03-09-2005, 08:32 AM
By the way, your son has a great back lunge. I can't figure out how to get my leg down without either jamming it into the ice or coming to a complete stop, or both, lol!

I finally managed to do a back lunge when I stopped thinking about getting my foot down onto the ice (if I did this then I would end up jamming the blade in and that hurts!) and started thinking about getting my knee onto the ice. For some reason, that ensured I put my foot down sufficiently turned out, to land the side of the boot on the ice and not the blade - and no, the knee never actually touches the ice but the mental picture somehow enables the physical one.
Give it a try. I'd be interested to know if it works for anyone else.

Oh yes, on the original topic - I started at 38 having only ever been on the ice once at the age of 14 and then not again until a few public sessions with my own kids when I was 35 or so. Took group lessons for a year where progress was very slow due to large classes (20 or so of mixed ages from tots to adult) and only once week lessons with an hours public session after. I progressed to private lessons once a week and now do two half hour lessons a week plus 3-4 hours a week practice.

As an adult progress is usually slower than for the kids, mostly I think due to the fear factor and an over-developed awareness of the consequences of falling badly. This factor in my experience is less of a problem in younger adults or those without families that depend on their driving abilities! It's hard to be the kids taxi service with a broken arm or leg!

However the limits are really only those you put on yourself. I swore I would never leave the ice with both feet at the same time when I started skating, so originally just did dance. Now however I have discovered the joys of jumping and dream of being able to do an axel (unlikely in my case - I've been stuck on the Loop for over a year!) and I do know a guy who first got his axel in his fifties!

I've been skating now for over 5 years and love it! I have entered competitions and won medals and I've tested too, in both Free skating and dance (we take the same tests as the kids do, here in the UK). I'm probably about equal to a USFSA adult bronze in free (I think - I'm not sure I have the details of it correct - do you have to have a Loop in bronze?). I know I'd have progressed faster if I had less fear of falling, spent more time on the ice (or at least more time skating and less chatting!) and had not tried to do dance and Free at the same time but I'm happy - I know skating will always provide something to challenge me at whatever level I am or get to.

Have fun skating!

Revolennon
03-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I'm 21 right now and have desperately wanted to skate competitively all my life. When I was about 11, I started going to the not-very-local ice rink (about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away) on semi-regular weekend basis. I taught myself some basic moves, and was really loving it. My parents looked into getting a coach or some private lessons, but sadly my dream had to end. The rink was too far away to drive many times a week for the amount of practice I'd have to put in, and of course financing that endeavor was a factor, too.

But just this past weekend I did a random search for ice rinks in my area and lo and behold, one popped up about an hour away, a rink that has coaches and training staff (The rink I had gone to as a kid was on a college campus, more like a solidly recreational thing, AND only open on the weekend for 2 hour blocks). I went skating today for the first time in three years, and I immediately remembered why I loved it as a kid. I had been thinking about trying to get back into it, but thought it would be a lost cause because of my age. I had never heard of adult competitions, I just thought I would be out in the cold because at 21 I'm past the age of prime Olympic-level training, to be just starting out.

But this thread has given me hope! I'm looking into a Learn to Skate course, and maybe private lessons after that if they're available. Of course, I'm in college, so I'm sure funds will factor into it somewhere along the line. All I know that if there is any way I can learn to skate how I've always dreamt of skating, it would be a major personal achievement and a dream come true for me. :D

Mrs Redboots
03-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi, Revolennon, and welcome - both to this forum AND to the wonder and magic of ice-skating.

At 21 you're in the perfect position to start, and yes, do sign up for learn-to-skate classes! If you remain hooked, you'll be just about ready to do the Adult Nationals at the lowest levels, and perhaps some of the many adult international competitions there are around, by the time you're 25! And you'll be skating competitively in smaller, local competitions long before then, I'm sure.

Enjoy - it's a truly wonderful sport. And I was twice your age when I started, and although I'm the world's worst skater, I do have enormous fun trying!

starskate6.0
03-23-2005, 09:05 AM
A lot of skaters start out late and do fantastic things. Adults generaly skate for the fun and the companionship of those with the same passion. They get together once a year at Nationals to cheer each other on and have a good time. When you go to your first Adult event don't forget to say hello to people, they will welcome you with open arms and bring you iinto the group as a friend .
As for the ability thing , don't underestermate yourself. You may be suprised as to what you can do. I started at 23 and I can not imagine that you could be as bad as i was at that age. But by 28 I had joined the big show and toured the world with Disney for 7 wonderfull years. I gave it up in 1993 and returned as an adult to compete ( my first time ) in 2002. I am still learning and keeping in shape because of skating. Its a wonderfull world Crayon. I hope you enjoy it... come say Hello some time. :D
and Welcome to our group... :D :D ..Star

starskate6.0
03-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I'm 21 right now and have desperately wanted to skate competitively all my life. When I was about 11, I started going to the not-very-local ice rink (about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away) on semi-regular weekend basis. I taught myself some basic moves, and was really loving it. My parents looked into getting a coach or some private lessons, but sadly my dream had to end. The rink was too far away to drive many times a week for the amount of practice I'd have to put in, and of course financing that endeavor was a factor, too.

But just this past weekend I did a random search for ice rinks in my area and lo and behold, one popped up about an hour away, a rink that has coaches and training staff (The rink I had gone to as a kid was on a college campus, more like a solidly recreational thing, AND only open on the weekend for 2 hour blocks). I went skating today for the first time in three years, and I immediately remembered why I loved it as a kid. I had been thinking about trying to get back into it, but thought it would be a lost cause because of my age. I had never heard of adult competitions, I just thought I would be out in the cold because at 21 I'm past the age of prime Olympic-level training, to be just starting out.

But this thread has given me hope! I'm looking into a Learn to Skate course, and maybe private lessons after that if they're available. Of course, I'm in college, so I'm sure funds will factor into it somewhere along the line. All I know that if there is any way I can learn to skate how I've always dreamt of skating, it would be a major personal achievement and a dream come true for me. :D

Hi Rev
I just read your post, and I just posted one for Crayon, but as you can see we are all in the same boat. At 21 you too are in a great position too join us in adult skating. I hope youfind it as much fun as we do, going to competitions skating and cheering each other on, regardless of if you do a 1/2 loop or a triple salchow we as adults are there for each other, say hello, ask questions, we work a lot on passing the word about competitions etc. If you need any info or help getting started just come back to the site and there will be someone to help you out. Im suure :D ..welcome to the new adult skaters..... :D

Melzorina
03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
You were only skating for 5 years and you got into Disney on Ice?!
Does that mean there's hope for me, or are you excellent?

Kristin
03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
So I've been fooling around on ice skates for about a year and just started private lessons. I'm really enjoying myself, even if I'm just doing edges on a line.

But I'm 25, and while I realize I probably won't be able to do anything 'cool' due to starting so late, I have no idea what kind of progress is typical or can be expected from someone who never skated as a child. Most of the figure skaters in my club, even the ones close to my age, started skating as small children.

Many of you seem to have started skating later in life: how fast did you progress? What did you find really tricky?

Just curious. 8-)

I started at the age of 25 and have been skating 6 yrs. During that time, I acquired all the single jumps up to (but not including) a single axel, have passed the first 3 levels of standard ice dances, the first 3 levels of standard field move tests, and the first 2 levels of adult freestyle (all on the first try). I have competed in over 26 competition events in the last 4 yrs which included 2 adult nationals, and did synchronized skating on an adult team for the first time this year. Last year, I was the first adult to receive the "President's award" from my skating club due to having successfully competed/passed in more competitions/tests than any other club member (which includes the kids who normally can skate/practice/compete more than adults). Was I determined? You bet. I refuse to believe that an adult can not achieve in ice skating. We aren't going to the Olympics, but some of the lessons I have learned from skating and working thru some of the problems (skating and otherwise) helped me in life too, not just skating!

Things that gave me trouble: spins, my loop, flip, and lutz jump. Thru perseverence and hard work with coaches who believed in me, I was able to learn all those things with good, solid technique. They know I work hard, and I always show up for practice.

If you find a coach who believes in you and have the right attitude, you can accomplish a lot.

-Kristin

starskate6.0
03-23-2005, 12:45 PM
You were only skating for 5 years and you got into Disney on Ice?!
Does that mean there's hope for me, or are you excellent?

Yes..but it depends how bad you want it. ;) Its a very long story and some people know the story of how I got started, its way to long to post here, but in short I traveled around the world for many years trying out for many shows and got rejected many times before I got my first job. I slept on a few park benches and rail way stations in Europe because I ran out of money many times. You do what ever it takes some times. Id be happy to telll you the story sometime if your interested. :D but I gave it up in 1993.
I did not have the formal training in my younger years but I got a lot of help from great people along the way. Ill be at nationals if you want to say Hello.. ( championship gold men II ). see ya :mrgreen: " Now Im learning to freestyle the way I wanted to. Im 45 now.

rf3ray
08-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I turned 29 2 months ago and have been skating for 8 months, and can do all the jumps except an axel and also the spins :-). The thing is basically with progressing is about taking risks, the more risks you take the more you learn in skating, and also the more ways you can fall, which will probably freak you less when you start doing harder stuff. But the mindset of progressing further is basically to have a try, and getting familiar with newer elements

Thats my tip :-)

Just curious. 8-)

slusher
08-17-2005, 05:36 PM
but will finish six dances this year and have a decent attempt at my preliminary skills
snipped most of my original post

It's strange how this topic came up again. I looked back to see if I originally posted, and I had, what is freaky (play weird music here) is that I wrote my post just the day before I had a terrible ice accident and thought my skating life was over.

What I could say now, is that it's possible to learn how to skate decently in a few months and then do it all over again. If you're willing, anything is possible. Even spinning, my personal nemesis.

kayskate
08-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I was about 25 when I started, though I roller skated recreationally as a kid. No roller lessons, just sidewalk kind of stuff. I taught myself to do some spins and jumps on rollers by watching others and experimenting. I started right away w/ private lessons on ice. W/ some breaks for various reasons, I have been skating about 13 yrs. I am not much of a competitor or tester, but I can do some cool tricks and am a fairly powerful skater. My forte is spinning. My spins are awesome. Why be modest when you can be truthful?

Kay