View Full Version : Skating Workshop in MD in June

Debbie S
02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
I wanted to let everyone here know about a workshop my club is sponsoring on June 4 (a Saturday morning). Registration has now been opened up to non-members. You can read more about it and print a registration form here: http://www.chesapeakefigureskatingclub.com/2005seminar.htm

You'll notice that NoVa's spin consultant, Bobbe Shire, is one of the coaches, along with Alex McGowan, who coached, among others, Debi Thomas.

There's contact info listed, but feel free to PM me with any questions.

This is not specifically for adult skaters, but there will be an adult group.

NoVa Sk8r
02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Ooh, sounds like a good clinic. I hope I can go!

(Just to be sure, Bobbe Shire is NOT my spin instructor/consultant. I tried to get a lesson with her, but it fell through, and my singles coach was less than thrilled at the thought of me taking spin lessons with another coach.)

LWalsh
02-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Ooh, sounds like a good clinic. I hope I can go!

(Just to be sure, Bobbe Shire is NOT my spin instructor/consultant. I tried to get a lesson with her, but it fell through, and my singles coach was less than thrilled at the thought of me taking spin lessons with another coach.)

Oh NoVa skater, that's too bad. Bobbi is the ultimate "spin doctor". I am surprised that your coach wasn't happy about you taking a lesson with her. My coach encourages me to take an occasional lessons with other coaches who might have a different perspective or specialty. She says it particularly helps adults who don't always pick something up by utlizing the same methods over and over and it also takes you out of your comfort zone which can be good too.

NoVa Sk8r
02-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, I was just giving the abbreviated version of what happened. I'm sure my coach wouldn't mind or be resentful or anything. I think part of the reason is that Bobbe has a certain "5-point plan" (or what have you) and my coach has been schooled in this approach.
At this point in the season, I barely see my singles coach (my pairs and singles lessons are currently scheduled at the same time--damn, you hockey for ruining the 'normal' morning freestyle sessions!). And I think that we have decided that it's my jumps that need major improvement. Um, axel, anyone? :frus:
We also seem focused on me working on double sal, double loop, and ... double flip (my goal is to land this before I die; and if I do land this, then God can strike me down right after!).

This clinic would be neat because I could then see how Bobbe operates and I could assess whether her techniques would work for me.

Anyone else thinking of doing this clinic?

flo
02-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi,
I've had a lesson with Bobbie. She's very good to work with and always interested in answering questions. However, since you're in the area, I would suggest a private lesson over a workshop. I think the advantage of a workshop is to get instruction from those not normally available to you. I have to say that of all the workshops I've attended, I've only been in one I thought to be worth the price of registration. All of the others have been those with mixed kid and adult skaters. When they group the adults together, there are usually too many levels, and the higher ones are not given much time, as they can do the skills. When I get put with the kids, I'm ignored.

The one workshop was for adults only and held in Lake Placid right before the '97 adult Nationals. I'm hoping the one in PA, and perhaps in France are better suited to adults.

Debbie S
02-22-2005, 03:51 PM
When they group the adults together, there are usually too many levels, and the higher ones are not given much time, as they can do the skills. When I get put with the kids, I'm ignored.

Well, I can't make any guarantees about this workshop, as this is the first year we've had it, but the application does ask some questions about your skating level, and everyone will at least be doing some single jumps and 1-foot spins (so no absolute beginners). I'm sure the organizers will make the coaches aware of the make-up of the group so the coaches can tailor their instruction accordingly.

I guess my feeling about these kinds of workshops is that in order to make it beneficial to you, you need to speak up and ask lots of questions. Like flo said, the value is getting to work with someone different and get a few new tips or a new perspective on something. And a lot of tips coaches give on spins and jumps can be applied to multiple skills.

flo
02-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Debbie,
You're right, go to the workshop with some specific questions, or what you want to be looked at, or reviewed. I think that many of the newer skaters are better at this! When I go I often feel that I have no questions, but am just looking to pick up some refinments.