View Full Version : Questions about skating in Canada

yael
02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
hi all!

i have a bunch of questions about skating in Canada...
i'm going to be moving to Vancouver from Michigan... I've been skating about a year... and I'm pretty close to ready to take the USFSA pre-preliminary moves in the field test... and with that context, here are my questions:

1. i don't know much about the testing system in Canada. can anyone direct me to a website where i can learn more about it? i feel like the SkateCanada website is kind of skimpy on information... in particular, what skills are included in the first test? and i also heard a rumor that there aren't separate adult and youth test sequences... is that true?

2. where do folks like to skate in vancouver?

3. can anyone recommend a good--but affordable--coach in vancouver?

thanks for your good advice! :)
peace,
yael

EM_skate
02-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi!

http://www.mintoskatingclub.com/skating_programs/test_program/index.shtml

To the right in a box are the skating levels, and their requirements.

jp1andOnly
02-22-2005, 01:00 AM
1. There is no test in Canada for pre prelim. You have to test prelim. There are no adult tests. We test the regular stream.

2. There are MANY different clubs in the lower mainland area. Where abouts in Van are you moving? Some clubs aren't too keen on Adult skaters, and some are welcoming.

3. Depending on the club you choose, there are MANY great coaches. Most charge about $10 and up for lessons for a 15 min lesson

If you have a few questions, please PM me as I live in Vancouver.

hi all!

i have a bunch of questions about skating in Canada...
i'm going to be moving to Vancouver from Michigan... I've been skating about a year... and I'm pretty close to ready to take the USFSA pre-preliminary moves in the field test... and with that context, here are my questions:

1. i don't know much about the testing system in Canada. can anyone direct me to a website where i can learn more about it? i feel like the SkateCanada website is kind of skimpy on information... in particular, what skills are included in the first test? and i also heard a rumor that there aren't separate adult and youth test sequences... is that true?

2. where do folks like to skate in vancouver?

3. can anyone recommend a good--but affordable--coach in vancouver?

thanks for your good advice! :)
peace,
yael