View Full Version : if I thought myself stupid when I forgot to take off my blade guards...

alhrayth
02-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Ok, I know we all have done it at least once - entering the ice with the guards still on. So I don't even feel so stupid anymore - I've seen friends, elite skaters, my coach... everyone ends up doing it at some point!

But last friday I really felt stupid...
I was finally back on the ice after a good two months' absence (my friends at the rink were quite incredulous when they saw me!), and was actually pretty pleased at how I was doing - I didn't feel so out of place, and my skills were more ore less where I left them. So at some point I was pausing, taking a sip of water and absentmindedly taking off some snow from my left blade... and I managed to get a nice bleeding cut on my right index finger! :oops: Ouch! (and :frus: for not wearing gloves. and :frus: :frus: for not paying attention. ) I must have done it some thousand times, nothing ever happened... and my blades aren't even particularly sharp by now, I had used them quite a bit since the last sharpening before my iceless interval... I skated the rest of the lesson holding an improvised tissue pseudo-bandage, feeling quite silly.

Now I look at my finger, and think "now I even gave blood for this sport" LOL...

CanAmSk8ter
02-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Trust me, you're not the only one to do that either! Last year I cut my finger at a competition taking my guards off . It didn't start bleeding right away, and by the time I noticed it there was no time to wash it off or anything- I had to compete with blood all over my hand. Managed to keep it off my dress, though!

sue123
02-21-2005, 09:52 AM
i've actually done that several times. when i was doing a chinese spiral, i wound up cutting my hand trying to get a hold of the blade. it's hard to get the blade when you can't see behind you. but my blades also weren't incredibly sharp. i guess if you touch along the edge or something.

but i've done the taking off snow and start bleeding. i also once reopened a cut when i was tying my skates. i had a cut on my finger, sustained from a physics lab involving wires, and i was tying my skates, and i guess i somehow managed to irritate the cut that i thought was healed.

Mrs Redboots
02-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Husband has cut his finger taking snow off his blades - and I know several skaters who've cut themselves doing catch-foots. And others who have got ice-burn through falling while wearing a skimpy top.

alhrayth
02-21-2005, 10:20 AM
8O :D Isn't it wonderful... how many different silly ways of getting minor injuries ice skaters have? LOL

garyc254
02-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Last year I cut my finger .... taking my guards off .

I've done the same. :oops:

I carry bandaids in my skate bag and my wallet for just such emergencies. I've doctored a number of skating cuts for others, often without leaving the ice.

So far (knock on wood) I've yet to step on the ice with my guards on. Close a couple of times.

TashaKat
02-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Oh yes, I've done the 'back pick up spiral' followed by 'blood pouring down my hand and arm' move :roll: It's amazing how such a small cut can hurt and bleed!

So far (knock on wood) I've yet to step on the ice with my guards on. Close a couple of times.

Oh Gary, will you never learn? You've only just gone and jinxed yourself :giveup: I was stood with a friend when a coach (who we didn't like) did his usual flamboyant 'look at me' getting onto the ice in a leap but this time had his blade guards on. After we'd stop howling with laughter (he hadn't hurt anything more than his massive ego) I said "thank goodness I've never done that". What did I do less than 15 minutes later?

dbny
02-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Oh Gary, will you never learn? You've only just gone and jinxed yourself :giveup:

Well, he did knock on wood. Nevertheless, it's only a matter of time, Gary.

I cut my finger putting my guards on. I had seen some elite skater put them on front first, thought it was cool and gave it a try....once. Skating is risky enough without hurting yourself doing unnecessary, stupid things because they look "cool" :roll:

sue123
02-21-2005, 02:44 PM
I've done the same. :oops:

I carry bandaids in my skate bag and my wallet for just such emergencies. I've doctored a number of skating cuts for others, often without leaving the ice.

i went to visit a med school recently, and they gave us these little plastic bandaid holders. you can put around 20 bandaids in this thing, and your bandaids stay nice and organized and dry. really, it was one of the best things they gave us out of all the things med schools give out. it runs a close second to the fleece sweatshirt that umich i believe gives out to it's accepted students.

garyc254
02-21-2005, 02:55 PM
you can put around 20 bandaids in this thing, and your bandaids stay nice and organized and dry. really, it was one of the best things they gave us out of all the things med schools give out.

My dad always carried bandaids in his wallet. That's where I got the idea. As a father of 3 boys and a Scout leader, I usually had to replenish my wallet weekly.

It's amazing how quickly a cut will feel better when there's a bandaid on it. Especially a decorated bandaid. :lol:

skateflo
02-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Well I haven't cut myself on my blade - yet - and I do put them on front portion first.....Gosh, with everything else I carry in my skatebag, I never thought of bandaids! What a great idea! At our local annual summer fair the fire dept. booth was giving out those flat plastic bandaid containers. I still have it and now will put it in my bag - not for me (hopefully) but for anyone else who has a need. Perhaps because I always wear 2 pair of gloves has kept my fingers in tact.........

As for the skateguards - well this past September I did and sustained a nasty fractured patella.....but I am back happily skating now. That was only the 2nd time in 11 years, but it was a whopper.

skaternum
02-21-2005, 04:02 PM
After overlapping 2 or 3 bandaids when InsideAxel split his chin open one day, I now carry a decent first aid kit in my skatebag. It has gauze pads & medical tape, among other things

garyc254
02-21-2005, 04:21 PM
.....Gosh, with everything else I carry in my skatebag, I never thought of bandaids! What a great idea!

I carry several different sizes, plus gauze, tape, antiseptic, and alcohol wipes. I slip it all in a ziploc baggie.

Also, throw in a pair of surgical gloves.

Safety first.

dbny
02-21-2005, 04:36 PM
I carry several different sizes, plus gauze, tape, antiseptic, and alcohol wipes. I slip it all in a ziploc baggie.

Also, throw in a pair of surgical gloves.

Safety first.

You are seriously prepared. I have bandaids, moleskin, and spyroflex.

Figureskates
02-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Did the guards on the ice trick on the Lussi Rink in Lake Placid.

Also I have bladed myself in the shin....twice.

ice-princess
02-24-2005, 04:25 AM
I never thought of carrying bandaids. Thats such a good idea.

And I can't even keep track of the amount of times i've gone on the ice with my guards. I actually consider myself to be quite an expert at it now. :D

LoopLoop
02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
After overlapping 2 or 3 bandaids when InsideAxel split his chin open one day, I now carry a decent first aid kit in my skatebag. It has gauze pads & medical tape, among other things

This reminded me of something a previous coach said to me one day early on... "So, have you had your chin stitches yet?" 8O

InsideAxel
02-24-2005, 09:05 AM
This reminded me of something a previous coach said to me one day early on... "So, have you had your chin stitches yet?" 8O

I had 8 as a result of that little incident. :??

C'ya!

Kelton

Mrs Redboots
02-24-2005, 11:53 AM
This reminded me of something a previous coach said to me one day early on... "So, have you had your chin stitches yet?" 8OHusband has. I, touching every sort of wood, haven't.

Shinn-Reika
02-25-2005, 12:08 AM
*Sigh, I wish I had ice guards.

But I have tied my shoelace over my blade. Knocked the wind right out of me (couldn't talk for about a minute)

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2005, 02:27 AM
*Sigh, I wish I had ice guards.You should get some - the shop at your rink will sell them, and they are not expensive. Even if you don't use them much at your home rink, you'll want them when you go visiting, since you never know where it's safe to walk in strange rinks.... Besides which, what if the fire alarm goes off? It does sometimes here, and everybody puts their guards on and goes and stands by the fire doors (not actually going out) while one of the teachers goes and finds out if we really need to evacuate, or if it's just a drill. But with guards, we could go out if we had to.

Careygram
02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Cut finger on blade--got tetnus shot. Stepped on Lussi rink with guards on--skating partner caught it on tape. Duh. Broke a few bones but haven't had the chin stitches yet (knock on head, I mean wood)
:roll:

Figureskates
02-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Stepped on Lussi rink with guards on--skating partner caught it on tape.

Ah yes, the Lussi Rink with those low rails. At least it wasn't caught on tape but witnessed by a group of adult skaters and Barbara Colby....who kids me about it from time to time.

icechick
02-27-2005, 08:35 AM
I've cut my fingers inumerable times while wiping snow from my blades and have yet to kick the habit :?? As for "skaters' chin," I sustained one a few year's ago while skating at a rink 2 hours from home and, IMO, "in the sticks." As I was unwilling to go to an unknown hospital for stitches, I asked a fellow skater, who is a veterinarian by profession, to patch me up with steri-strips that I carried in my skate bag for such an occasion (my daughter had already had 2 incidents). She "stitched" me up and I resumed practice. At one point, my partner looked at me in horror and, with almost no command of English (spoke Russian), he pointed at my chin 8O . I felt it and it was bleeding again so I ran off and patched it over with a bandaid. Never went for stitches because the steri-strips were great. In fact, I now have a nearly invisible scar whereas my daughter, who had "real" stitches both times, has 2 discernible chin scars. Go figure.... :?:

1lutz2klutz
02-27-2005, 09:24 AM
I've had the near miss with the chin stitches several times. Fortunately (?) for me, I'm, um, large chested, which has provided me with my own personal set of air bags :lol: Though it is MUCH easier to explain "I hit my chin on the ice" than "I think I broke a boob"!

mikawendy
02-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I met a skater recently who told me the story of her chin injury when she fell doing a catchfoot spiral, so her hands were not there to help break her fall. Ouchie.

coskater64
02-27-2005, 12:39 PM
We had a rash of them at our rink. First a little boy w/ a beautiful camel spin just slipped out of his entry. He got 7 stitches. Then I did a beautiful 2 full revolution double toe, landed forward arms way to low, splat, right on the chin, only 6 stitches. Then another adult doing walley, double flip or toe (she's Jr level) did a similar trick w/ over rotating. All w/in 3 months. Of course I won the stuipdity award by dropping a 35 lb granite table top on my left big toe. Rainy night, lid on the spa flapping grabbed anything I could to weigh it down. Slippery, ekkk, lightening bolt very close, whoopsie..... Blood everywhere, doctors said 100 to 1 I'd keep my toenail. But, I did. They love me at the emergency room.

;-0 :oops:

sue123
02-27-2005, 01:38 PM
We had a rash of them at our rink. First a little boy w/ a beautiful camel spin just slipped out of his entry. He got 7 stitches. Then I did a beautiful 2 full revolution double toe, landed forward arms way to low, splat, right on the chin, only 6 stitches. Then another adult doing walley, double flip or toe (she's Jr level) did a similar trick w/ over rotating. All w/in 3 months. Of course I won the stuipdity award by dropping a 35 lb granite table top on my left big toe. Rainy night, lid on the spa flapping grabbed anything I could to weigh it down. Slippery, ekkk, lightening bolt very close, whoopsie..... Blood everywhere, doctors said 100 to 1 I'd keep my toenail. But, I did. They love me at the emergency room.

;-0 :oops:

is it bad when the docs at the ER start to remember who you are? and it's not like i go in for every little thing, i'm usually dragged in, and they start remembering who i am. it's like, oh no, not you again.

MannyisHOT
03-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Husband has cut his finger taking snow off his blades - and I know several skaters who've cut themselves doing catch-foots. And others who have got ice-burn through falling while wearing a skimpy top.

I have gotten ice burn on my stomach and I was wearing a turtle neck!

Isk8NYC
03-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I once fell out of a sit spin and scraped my wrist on the ice. I was still moving pretty fast when I hit the ice. I was shocked to see a white spot - I had shaved the skin off! It didn't bleed for about three minutes. (Maybe it was frozen?)

I will always have that scar on my wrist, but I consider it a badge of honor -- I had (and still have) great sit spins, forward and backward.

Isk8NYC
03-12-2005, 05:30 PM
is it bad when the docs at the ER start to remember who you are? and it's not like i go in for every little thing, i'm usually dragged in, and they start remembering who i am. it's like, oh no, not you again.

My best friend used to be on a first-name basis with the ER nurses -- her oldest was nicknamed "Danger Boy." Needless to say, they made a lot of visits to the ER. Good people work in those areas - stand up and take a bow. You put up with a lot!:bow:

slusher
03-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Concussion.

I stepped on the back of my blade doing an outside mohawk. Well at least that's what they said I said when lying on the ice bleeding from the gash in my head, I have no memory of what I did. I do have a nice lump of scar tissue on the back of my head as a reminder.

It's probably why I really don't want to do the Fourteenstep, I swore I'd never do another outside mohawk again.

NCSkater02
03-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Concussion.

I stepped on the back of my blade doing an outside mohawk.

Ouch! I've done that, only it was an inside mohawk on a foot work pattern. brought my total to three. Add the current broken ankle and all the aches and bruises, and sometimes I wonder why I still do this. Must be the fun I usually have.

Rob Dean
03-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Ouch! I've done that, only it was an inside mohawk on a foot work pattern. brought my total to three. Add the current broken ankle and all the aches and bruises, and sometimes I wonder why I still do this. Must be the fun I usually have.

That's the sort of post that makes me wonder why I'm reading this thread. 8O I've only been doing this since April, so haven't had as many "opportunities" as some of you. I did whack my head hard enough to have my doctor check me out for a possible concussion. As it was a sunny August day, I'm sure they thought I was off-kilter from the start when I told them the problem was I'd fallen on the ice...

Ah well, now I tell people that the helmet is a fashion statement. :)

Rob

NCSkater02
03-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I've only been doing this since April, so haven't had as many "opportunities" as some of you.
Rob

Think again. I fell and got my first concussion less than four months in--I was in my second set of LTS. I would have quit several times in the first six months or so if my husband hadn't bought me skates. I didn't feel like I could quit until I got his money's worth out of them. Three years, three concussions, two sets of skates, and one broken (almost healed) fibula later, I keep on going. I'm counting the days (15) until I go back to the doctor for my ankle. I hope to be on the ice the following Saturday!

Rob Dean
03-14-2005, 10:00 PM
I fell and got my first concussion less than four months in--

The beginning of April to the end of August is more than four months, so you've got me beat--not that this is a competition I want to be in! 8O I'm still probably skating too cautiously for fastest progress, but I've always been pretty risk averse, and this is unusually risky for me. <sigh>

Rob