View Full Version : Calling British Adult Skaters

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Please note that the requirements are now up on the NISA website. You have to click on Adults (the fat couple), then on Events, and there it is. Nothing like telling us, is there - I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been for Samba.

NickiT
02-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks Annabel!

Nicki

batikat
02-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks Annabel,

but did I read it right? - it seems to imply that if you are a dancer then you have to have competed in a qualifying competition beforehand but it doesn't mention any such requirement for freeskaters.

Anyway it counts me out of the dance this year as I have had to make a choice between competing Free or dance at Bracknell (My college final exhibition is the same week and I have to be there to steward on at least one of the 2 days) and I want to concentrate on the Free at the mo. However I probably wont' do the Free at the Championships either as I dont' have a reliable Loop yet.

What adult qualifying competitions are available for skaters in the North and Scotland?

I do think it's a shame they have picked a level 4 dance for the level 4 and under group this year, as certainly for the under 50 age group it really means a lot of us, who have started skating as adults, won't compete, as we are up against skaters as young as 21 year olds, some of whom are continuing skaters. While we had some chance of looking reasonable doing a level 2 or 3 dance like last year, I am much less happy as an adult learner, level 2 skater, to go out and perform a level 4 dance. Just as well I won my bronze medal when they still had age categories for 35-50 - I'm not likley to win another medal while the age category is 21-49! :cry:

For the over 50's it makes little difference as there were only 3 of them last year - all of whom started skating as adults and they dont' have to compete against young continuing skaters or Freeskaters who have converted to dance.

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm awfully sorry, but I didn't notice what the solo dances were - ours are lovely, Golden Skaters' Waltz & Riverside Rhumba! Two of our better ones - but we'll have to alter our free dance, of course. Not that I mind, it's dreadful anyway.... not considered good enough to pass Level 1, and I would like my test before we start bringing it up for competition.

I don't know if there are any other qualifiers other than Bracknell - there was going to be one at Oxford in April, but I gather they've had to postpone it. We had been told last year that we would have to qualify - but I'm surprised just dancers, not free skaters! Anybody know if there will be a Solihull - or whether the Mountain Cup will count?

batikat
02-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Ours are Canasta Tango (level 2 , so far, so good) and Swing Dance (level 4) - not so good. I like skating backwards but getting the correct pattern for the back chassees and swing rolls and the correct timing on the mohawk is not so easy. I like this dance with a partner but solo it is a nightmare.

I know it was mentioned about possibly holding qualifying competitions last year but before they brought this in as a rule, I would have thought they would have made sure there were some. If Bracknell is the only one, it is a bit tough on the Scottish , Welsh and north of England dancers. It would normally be OK for me since I skate there but of course not this year, since I can't be there on the dance day so I will be barred from doing BACs even if I decide after, that I could make the effort to polish up the Swing Dance.

I noticed there was a form for clubs to apply to hold qualifiers for BACs but they only have until mid ~August and I can't see any clubs that don't normally include adult competitions doing it now in time for that. It rules out both Oxford and Ally Pally as they will be later in the year and most clubs already have their Opens mapped out for this year. I hope it won't result in a huge decrease in numbers and then be an excuse to not hold it anymore.

It is a shame, as it was nice that it was so inclusive and now it won't be.

samba
02-20-2005, 12:37 PM
On reading all this, reality has just hit home, I will probably struggle to be ready in time for October not sure I will be ready to do a qualifier beforehand. Now I'm depressed :cry: Oh well if I can't do it this year, maybe next year I will be better anyway.