View Full Version : Support Group for Adult Nationals 2006 Dallas

jazzpants
02-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Debbie suggested a support group for those of us who are struggling to pass our Bronze Moves and FS test for Adults Nationals 2006. So... let's form one!!! :mrgreen:

I'll start with this... I started one last year for Kansas City and Mel On Ice from that support group did pass her Bronze tests and is now going to AN this year in Kansas!!! YAAAAAY!!!

I was supposed to take my test last year in April, but soon after I had a foot injury which sidelined me back in March. Turns out my old boots was totally worn out and I ended up ordering my first pair of the new purple Harlick boots. I took the Bronze Moves test in August and failed it. I saw I was nowhere near the point where if I took it that I would pass it in a couple of months, so I took a break from it and did Skate SF 2004. Afterwards, I went back to it, but shortly after, my first pair of purple boots disappear and it took a way for me to get a new blade for my old worn out boot, which I temporarily used until I get the new purple boots. Was injured again in Dec from wearing those boots!

I got my second pair of purple Harlick boots and it made a lot of difference in the world. I can finally get back to doing my moves. In fact, it got better this time around. Phil from Harlick SURE does know how to put in a blade mounting... No adjustment needed!!! :mrgreen:

I think now is a good time to start thinking about when I should take the Bronze moves test again. Today's lesson seems to show that I'm getting better on them and I think it won't be long before I start thinking about testing them again... But who knows... as you might have read, it's also how well my FI mohawks (on the 5 step mohawk) works out too, amongst other things.

Figureskates
02-18-2005, 05:56 AM
Jazzpants, I like your style.

2006 will be a big year for me since I will turn 60 8O , which puts me in Class XXXVIII :lol: :lol: I need all the support I can get.....

I am busily working on my Bronze qualifications and may have my act together by then. Also Dallas is a great city and it would give me an opportunity to make a side trip to my Alma Mater, Texas A&M University. :bow:

Mel On Ice
02-18-2005, 10:00 AM
may I be offer to be a support group mentor? Like I said before, you pass, I bring the champagne!

LWalsh
02-18-2005, 10:15 AM
I am confused. I thought there was no official communication from US Skating about this venue yet. Where did you hear it was definitely Dallas?

Terri C
02-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I'll be starting to work on my MIF and free after CRC in mid March and after I get my foot issue resolved!

NoVa Sk8r
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
I am confused. I thought there was no official communication from US Skating about this venue yet. Where did you hear it was definitely Dallas?Since when has the lack of "official communication" prevented us from turning speculation into fact? :D :P

Nah; I've heard unofficially that Dallas is the venue in 2006. I was hoping for the East Coast, but other sections deserve their turn.

Debbie S
02-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I am confused. I thought there was no official communication from US Skating about this venue yet. Where did you hear it was definitely Dallas?

It is not official yet, but there was a note in the fall USFSA Board of Governors' meeting's Report of Action (the same one that detailed the proposed changes in the adult MIF test structure) that the Board chose Dallas as the host for 2006 AN. It will be voted on at Governing Council in May, and if passed (I can't imagine who would object to the AN host, but you never know) it will then be official. The adult MIF changes will also be voted on at GC.

(By the way, LWalsh, we met at New Year's (I was Kari's pal). Good luck this weekend at the Winter Classic! My coach is doing Champ Gold Ladies there.)

I had a moves lesson last night and my moves coach thinks I will be ready to test Bronze MIF this summer - he said I was about halfway to passing standard. My power 3's need the most improvement - essentially, they need power. :) He said my 5-step was OK, but was rushed, and I need to push harder and wait a few seconds between steps. I also need to point my toes and improve my extension on some of the steps, and improve extension and speed on the BO edge glides. The biggest problem on the forward and back perimeter stroking moves is that I'm stepping on flats occasionally and that my arms sometimes wiggle. He did say that I had good speed on those moves - woohoo!

As for Bronze FS - I need a backspin, well, one that lasts for 3 revs anyway (I'm up to 2). I also have gotten used to holding my leg to the side and not crossing it over in scratch position. I also need a little more height on my loop jump, but I made good progress on that last night.

jazzpants
02-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Dunno, but it sure looks official to me...

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=28954

Debbie S
02-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Hmmm, it sounds like the ice rink is either next to a mall or in a mall. I just can't see having a skating competition in a mall rink - although it would probably be warm and there would be plenty to do during comp breaks. :lol: I guess the rink complex is just next to the mall building - a short walk to food and shopping will be required. :)

mskater
02-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I just looked at some info about the rink, looks like it is in a mall but not one of those that are smack dab in the middle where everyone hangs over the rails watching you.

NoVa Sk8r
02-18-2005, 12:30 PM
The Polar Ice Rink, located in Grapevine Mills Mall (http://www.grapevinemills.com), features two NHL regulation-size ice rinks. Seating available for 1,000 spectators.

As long as the local rabble don't throw french fries or pennies onto the ice, :P it should be a great place to skate. And it looks like it's only ~5 miles from the Dallas-Ft. Worth airport. 8-)

Figureskates
02-18-2005, 12:53 PM
As long as the local rabble don't throw french fries or pennies onto the ice, :P it should be a great place to skate.

I dunno, maybe a few pennies and french fries would improve my presentation.

jazzpants
02-18-2005, 02:29 PM
may I be offer to be a support group mentor? Like I said before, you pass, I bring the champagne!But of course!!! :mrgreen: After all, you made it this year!!! :bow: I want to hear about your first AN experience when it happens...

Anyone else who wants to be a support group mentor or just be a cheerleader -- you're welcome to join us here too! :mrgreen:

nerd_on_ice
02-18-2005, 03:36 PM
I am a Dallasite, so VERY stoked to see that AN 2006 is looking definite. The question is, could I pass pre-bronze AND bronze this year (and choreograph a program, get a dress, beat stage fright) so I could compete? :giveup: If not, well, I'll do vodka-miniature-throwing duty.

About the rink, I've never skated there but I've been to that mall and can vouch that it's NOT the middle-of-the-mall setup where one risks getting pelted. And as someone already mentioned, it's convenient to the airport.

If anyone wants info about the D/FW area I'll be happy to do what I can, either now or as it gets closer. NoVa Sk8r, you will love Dallas. Everyone's very friendly, the shopping is unbeatable (Adult Nationals in a mall: need I say more?), and you trip over great Tex-Mex and barbecue at every turn. East Coast, pish-tosh. :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
02-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I am a Dallasite, so VERY stoked to see that AN 2006 is looking definite. The question is, could I pass pre-bronze AND bronze this year (and choreograph a program, get a dress, beat stage fright) so I could compete? :giveup: Yes and yes. Practice practice. Also, try to find an adult-friendly test session. My advice is to set a (realistic) deadline for yourself, i.e., I will pass pre-bronze by July and bronze by November. Take note of when the tests are being held. It helps to know in May, for example, that there is a test in late July.

If not, well, I'll do vodka-miniature-throwing duty.Oh, boy, I can tell we will be great friends! 8-) :D

About the rink, I've never skated there but I've been to that mall and can vouch that it's NOT the middle-of-the-mall setup where one risks getting pelted. And as someone already mentioned, it's convenient to the airport.It seems like the rink is attached to the mall, but not smack-dab in the middle of the mall. It sounds like a great setup. It will be nice to get away from the competition and have lots of other entertainment/food options. My pairs partner will be happy to know that there are a Haagen Dazs AND a Cold Stone Creamery in that mall. :yum:

If anyone wants info about the D/FW area I'll be happy to do what I can, either now or as it gets closer. NoVa Sk8r, you will love Dallas. <snip> East Coast, pish-tosh. :lol:This Yankee boy has never been to Texas (or anywhere in the Midwest, really), so I'm lookin' to wreak havoc and have loads o' fun in the Lone Star State!

skaternum
02-18-2005, 04:17 PM
This Yankee boy has never been to Texas (or anywhere in the Midwest, really), so I'm lookin' to wreak havoc and have loads o' fun in the Lone Star State!You will be doing this with The Other Woman, of course?! As of now, I'm planning on doing AN in Dallas next year, assuming I can get my act together...

Even though I already skate at Silver, I've set a test goal for myself for pre-juv moves. The only way I'll "allow" myself to go is if I pass that test during the year. I have to set goals like that in order to make real progress. So even though it's not really related to my being eligible to compete at AN (I already have twice), it's a personal goal. So I want to participate in this support group, albeit in a slightly different way.

For those of you whose goal is passing bronze tests so you can be eligible, hang in there. You'll get it!!

NoVa Sk8r
02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
You will be doing this with The Other Woman, of course?! As of now, I'm planning on doing AN in Dallas next year, assuming I can get my act together...Mais, bien sur! And since everything is bigger in Texas, we need to start planning our pranks NOW! :P

Mrs Redboots
02-19-2005, 03:54 AM
Mais, bien sur! And since everything is bigger in Texas, we need to start planning our pranks NOW! :PIf it's Texas, shouldn't it be Bourbon, not vodka (oh, those bourbon nips at the Mountain Cup :yum: - I didn't even know I liked the stuff until then.... unfortunately, I rather adore it! :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
02-19-2005, 09:24 AM
If it's Texas, shouldn't it be Bourbon, not vodka (oh, those bourbon nips at the Mountain Cup :yum: - I didn't even know I liked the stuff until then.... unfortunately, I rather adore it! :roll:After one or two, it doesn't really matter, does it? :P 8-)

Mrs Redboots
02-19-2005, 11:48 AM
After one or two, it doesn't really matter, does it? :P 8-)Well, sort of, because I don't actually like vodka, so would probably have given my nip to someone who does.... :lol:

SkateGuard
02-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Hmmm, it sounds like the ice rink is either next to a mall or in a mall. I just can't see having a skating competition in a mall rink - although it would probably be warm and there would be plenty to do during comp breaks. :lol: I guess the rink complex is just next to the mall building - a short walk to food and shopping will be required. :)

Two girls who won medals at Nationals skate at a "mall rink." It's not as nice as the one they've described here, but it's at one end of the mall, by the JC Penneys (low traffic), and the surface is well maintained. They have hockey tournaments, a skating school, and good amenities, including a world champion on staff.

I used to make fun of "mall rinks" until I skated there while my home rink was down. The irony is that to get to the rink from the mall, you have to go through a video arcade. Good thing there's an outside entrance....

As for you in the support group, good luck with Bronze MIF and FS. I feel for you. I passed my Bronze free on 1/10/02 (so I could go to AN), but I was unemployed and couldn't afford to go (sigh). But I'm ready for my third (and hopefully my last in Bronze--I'm beginning to really feel like a sandbagger), and I hope you guys will be in Dallas! 8-)

Think of it this way--you're saving money this year for shopping between events next year! :)

Debbie S
02-19-2005, 02:57 PM
I used to make fun of "mall rinks" until I skated there while my home rink was down.

I wasn't making fun of mall rinks. What I meant was that it would feel odd to be competing, with an announcer, judges' table, etc, and have people walking past the rink on their way to shop, or staring down at the rink from above as they shop, while skaters are walking around in costume and warming up and stretching. I've never skated in a mall rink, so that's how I imagined the setup. It looks like this rink is at the mall complex, but a separate building. I stand corrected.

Petlover
02-19-2005, 05:04 PM
I'd like to be a mentor also, I'm working on pre-bronze, and am waiting to see if the new MIF is adopted before I consider testing.

AnnM
02-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, I've passed the Bronze freestyle and MIF tests, but can I join anyways? Here's why: Even though I've passed the technical tests, I'm nowhere near skilled enough in jumping to be competitive in Bronze competitions. No loop, no flip, no lutz. And getting my silver moves together is going to be a looooong road.

Debbie S
02-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, I've passed the Bronze freestyle and MIF tests...

AnnM, if you don't mind my asking, how did you pass Bronze FS w/o at least a loop? The jump requirements are toe loop, salchow, and 1 other single rev jump.

I'm not questioning your test result, I'd just love to know how it could be done! I've got a shaky loop myself. And an even more shaky flip, and definitely no lutz.

flutzilla1
02-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone!

Like AnnM, I've passed Bronze FS, but I have a challenge in getting to Nationals in 2006 -- distance! My husband was laid off from his job last winter and since he works in such a specialized industry (animation), the only location we were able to secure a job in was -- you guessed it! -- Sydney, Australia. I still would very much like to attend AN in Dallas, but how I am going to manage it with the expense of flying from here, the vacation days my husband will need to take while I'm gone to watch our 4-year old, and the whole 18-hour time difference/jet lag thing is a complete puzzle at the moment. Plus I will be one of the oldest skaters in Bronze I....I won't be able to skate in Bronze II until 2008 due to my very late-in-the-year birthday! :(

As for the location of the rink, I for one would love it to be in a mall. The rink I skate at here (Macquarie Ice Rink) is in a mall, and it sounds similar to the one you guys are talking about in that it's not within the mall, it's attached at the very end, although people at McDonalds and the food court can watch the skaters through the windows. If the qualifiers go later in the morning or day, being at a mall has one big plus in that it allows you the option of getting your hair done for the competition, which always makes me feel better before a competition (one less thing to worry about that I messed up on...!). Browsing the shops/eating at the food court there will also allow us to have something non-rink related to do to distract us while we are all waiting for the results to be posted..... :D

Keep sk8ing gr8 everyone! I hope I'll be there so I can meet you all, especially jazzpants! :)

coskater64
02-20-2005, 09:34 AM
When I was in my teens I skated at the Galleria in Dallas and at another one of the mall rinks. You just kind of tune out the "mallees" and do your thing. This one looks okay, it's just in Grapevine, but you can visit either Ft. Worth w/ it's fabulous contemporary art museum or you can do some serious shopping in Dallas @ the Galleria or Lemon(sp) ave and the Highland Park area. The food is very good but some areas are dry and you have buy a "membership" or something. It's not very difficult to get a cocktail if you want one. I don't know if they ever fixed 1-75 a little 2 lane highway through the center of Dallas, traffic was so bad that they thought about having ski jumps at the ramp entrance so the cars could just hurl into traffic.

la

nerd_on_ice
02-20-2005, 11:12 AM
I don't know if they ever fixed 1-75 a little 2 lane highway through the center of Dallas, traffic was so bad that they thought about having ski jumps at the ramp entrance so the cars could just hurl into traffic.

Yep, I-75 a.k.a. Central Expressway is much improved these days (3 lanes each direction) and they've moved on to tearing up other sections of the city. Liquor laws here are convoluted indeed--getting a drink in a restaurant is easy but finding a liquor store or a grocery store that sells beer & wine (none of them sells liquor) can be challenging.

Of course, we will all be Serious Athletes In Training, so no need to worry about any of that. Steamed vegetables and Evian water all the way! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terri C
02-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Liquor laws here are convoluted indeed--getting a drink in a restaurant is easy but finding a liquor store or a grocery store that sells beer & wine (none of them sells liquor) can be challenging.

Of course, we will all be Serious Athletes In Training, so no need to worry about any of that. Steamed vegetables and Evian water all the way! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nerd,
You're now on a mission- to find Dallas area liquor stores that sell vodka nips! :lol:

jazzpants
02-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Of course, we will all be Serious Athletes In Training, so no need to worry about any of that. Steamed vegetables and Evian water all the way! :lol: :lol: :lol:Sure and we're gonna do arm curls with dumbbells (instead of bottles of Stolis) too!!! :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

mikawendy
02-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Nerd,
You're now on a mission- to find Dallas area liquor stores that sell vodka nips! :lol:

Maybe the rink could dispense the nips in a vending machine? :D After all, some rinks sell skate tape and laces in their vending machines!

jazzpants
02-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Maybe the rink could dispense the nips in a vending machine? :D After all, some rinks sell skate tape and laces in their vending machines!Heck, if they had that in the vending machines at my local rink, I probably would have done better at Skate SF last Oct... :P :twisted: :lol:

Terri C
02-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Maybe the rink could dispense the nips in a vending machine? :D After all, some rinks sell skate tape and laces in their vending machines!

Hey that could be a fundraising idea for the LOC. Or, Bill P could do it for the Mountain Cup fund!

nerd_on_ice
02-20-2005, 03:58 PM
You're now on a mission- to find Dallas area liquor stores that sell vodka nips!

Easy schmeezy--we live about 5 minutes from a whole strip of liquor stores and I know the one we usually go to has miniatures of all kinds!

Sure and we're gonna do arm curls with dumbbells (instead of bottles of Stolis) too!!!

Riiiiiight, and I didn't go to the rink with a slight Guinness hangover today. :oops: :lol:

AnnM
02-20-2005, 11:50 PM
AnnM, if you don't mind my asking, how did you pass Bronze FS w/o at least a loop? The jump requirements are toe loop, salchow, and 1 other single rev jump.

I'm not questioning your test result, I'd just love to know how it could be done! I've got a shaky loop myself. And an even more shaky flip, and definitely no lutz.

Well at least at that time (it may still read the same now), the requirement read "toe loop, salchow and an additional single jump". My coach interpreted that to mean not necessarily a single revolution jump. So my jumps were a toe loop, salchow, and a waltz -toe loop. I wasn't sure it it would fly with the judges, but I have my bronze test certificate. The only thing that nearly caused me not to pass was a shaky backspin in the program (I had to reskate the spin). It was a risk, but in this instance it paid off.

skaternum
02-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Well at least at that time (it may still read the same now), the requirement read "toe loop, salchow and an additional single jump". My coach interpreted that to mean not necessarily a single revolution jump. So my jumps were a toe loop, salchow, and a waltz -toe loop. I wasn't sure it it would fly with the judges, but I have my bronze test certificate. The only thing that nearly caused me not to pass was a shaky backspin in the program (I had to reskate the spin). It was a risk, but in this instance it paid off.Interesting. The judges 'round here wouldn't have accepted a waltz jump as a single, nor would they allow a combination to count as a single jump. You totally lucked out. :)

Debbie S
02-21-2005, 10:15 AM
So my jumps were a toe loop, salchow, and a waltz -toe loop. I wasn't sure it it would fly with the judges, but I have my bronze test certificate.

Actually, the requirements, at least now, are a toe loop, a salchow, another single, and a waltz-toe combo. So the judges may have just overlooked the missing jump - unless when you took it, the requirements were different - I've heard the adult FS tests used to have different requirements than they do now, but I've only been skating for 3 years so I have no idea when these changes happened. In any event, congrats on passing the test. Hope you can make it to AN next year.

AnnM
02-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Debbie,

Then perhaps it was an additional waltz jump in my program apart from a waltz-toe. I now remember that the waltz-toe was required too. I took the test in 2001(?), so I don't have an exact recollection of the requirements (or my program apparently!). But I do recall that my coach took a very technical interpretation of "single jump".

AnnM
02-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Interesting. The judges 'round here wouldn't have accepted a waltz jump as a single, nor would they allow a combination to count as a single jump. You totally lucked out. :)

I took my test through the San Francisco Skating Club, which has a fairly "competitive" reputation from what I've read/heard. Keep in mind thought that it was several years ago and adult skating has changed considerably since then.

jazzpants
02-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Debbie,

Then perhaps it was an additional waltz jump in my program apart from a waltz-toe. I now remember that the waltz-toe was required too. I took the test in 2001(?), so I don't have an exact recollection of the requirements (or my program apparently!). But I do recall that my coach took a very technical interpretation of "single jump".AnnM: I remembered it being a waltz jump... ;) The reason I remembered was b/c at my next lesson I told my primary coach what happened and asked him about the "single jump" requirement. :twisted: I don't remember what his reaction to that is, though.

I've been trained all along though that the "one other single jump" has always been a loop, flip or lutz, though. Practically all of my primary coach's students who took Bronze FS test did a loop as the one other single jump. I know I am expected to also do a loop jump as the one single jump too. (Unless of course, my flip gets better than my loop, THEN it'll be the flip!) :P

I could always say that I could have taken the Bronze FS test with AnnM's program back then so I would be eligible for AN. However, in the end, it would have made life difficult for me in terms of competing and being able to go over skating foundation stuff that the Bronze Moves does so well. And I'm in no mood to compete against those Bronze ladies w/the flying camels, the lutz-loops and the camel-sit-backsit either. :twisted:

Terri C
03-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Since AN 2005 is a few weeks away, I've re-started this thread.
Started on Bronze MIF this past week with major work on the back power perimeter stroking. Have warned Coach #2 that power threes would be one whole lesson or more!

Debbie S
03-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Have warned Coach #2 that power threes would be one whole lesson or more!

Hey, my power 3's have taken up multiple whole lessons, and counting! :)

This past week was my spring break from grad school when I was *supposed* to be getting a lot of skating done. But I fell on my right knee on Monday and developed this annoying cough that has sapped some of my energy and made me a few steps slower on the ice when I did skate this week, making me feel like the progress I have made on moves the past few weeks has gone down the drain. :frus:

And to top it off, I may not be having lessons for a few weeks. My primary coach can't make our regular lesson time b/c of an extra lesson she's been having in order to prepare for AN and we're having some difficulty finding an alternate time that works for both of us. My moves coach wasn't able to get to our rink this past week, and may not be able to this week, due to events at his primary rink. So on I go..... I hope I can at least get a lesson with moves coach because I'm worried that I've developed some bad habits on the 5-step, namely stepping to a flat on the 4th step.

Terri C
03-27-2005, 02:25 PM
And to top it off, I may not be having lessons for a few weeks. My primary coach can't make our regular lesson time b/c of an extra lesson she's been having in order to prepare for AN and we're having some difficulty finding an alternate time that works for both of us. My moves coach wasn't able to get to our rink this past week, and may not be able to this week, due to events at his primary rink. So on I go..... I hope I can at least get a lesson with moves coach because I'm worried that I've developed some bad habits on the 5-step, namely stepping to a flat on the 4th step.

Geez, maybe I should start a " Skaters without lessons support group" thread!
The week of CRC, we had that freak storm that caused my coach to cancel lessons, despite the fact that it was sunny by 3pm that afternoon. The next week, I had planned to take the week off from skating, though in the end I had a serious family issue to deal with. Last week, mom was discharged from the hospital on lesson day,so I had to cancel then. This week, damn spring break made rink management "assume" that the all the kiddies had the week off. Quite a few are either away or in private school, so they won't be there. Coach then decides to take the week off. Hopefully, I'll be on a regular schedule by next week, barring any freak occurances! Thank God for coach #2!

MissIndigo
03-27-2005, 03:32 PM
...I'm worried that I've developed some bad habits on the 5-step, namely stepping to a flat on the 4th step.

Ah, the memories. I had this habit on the 5-step too...for some reason, it was the hardest thing to get my shoulders to roll around from backward to forward just before the initiation of the 4th step. Try to add some speed, and it got worse. I'll still do this when I run through this move for kicks. :frus: But in the meantime, while you're waiting for a lesson, you may want to slow the move down and feel how the shoulders and hips come around on that 4th step. If I kept the skating shoulder back and let the opposite shoulder come around, that seemed to help some, and it helped set up a ripping sound on the 5th step's inside edge.

jazzpants
03-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey, my power 3's have taken up multiple whole lessons, and counting! :) Har har!!! Terri and Debbie -- I got you guys beaten!!! :twisted: I've been working on GAWD AWFUL power 3's for over TWO YEARS!!! HATE 'EM!!! HATE 'EM!!! HATE 'EM!!! :frus: And right now... I CAN do the power 3's move now, but there's not enough power on it still to justify testing at this point. Occasionally I still trip myself up on those FO3's too!!!Currently I only have one move that I do exceedingly well. The other three moves are still slightly below passing standard right now and won't be enough to balance the power 3's.

At the rate that I'm going, I think my primary coach is gonna wait 'til the new skating season for me to take the Bronze Moves test b/c the primary focus will change (from "power" to "strength and flow") He thinks that I would have a better chance passing if the focus was changed to that. I have a funny feeling that in the end this would be my best course. My secondary coach recently acknowledges that I have a LOT to work on if I ever want to get my moves to passing standard as well too... So... *sigh* I guess NOW we'll see if I'm gonna take the Bronze moves test sometime this year... :roll:

MusicSkateFan
03-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Well I hope to be able to compete at 2006 AN wherever they may be! I have my work cut out for me. I am now working on Bronze moves. I have worked on the forward power stroking, backward power stroking, 5 step Mohawk, and the alternating to BO edges with my coach. He will probably start me on the power 3's soon. I guess I would have to pass on the first try in order to be able to compete at the Bronze Men II level. As far as the Freestyle test, I only need to greatly improve my spins. My jumps are all there, including(from what I am told) a very good Lutz. I will do the waltz, toe combo for the test but will probably change it to a waltz, loop, toe combo for competition.

BUT!!!! I got to get through those damn moves first!!!!! KILL ME!!!

Terri C
03-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Well I hope to be able to compete at 2006 AN wherever they may be! I have my work cut out for me. I am now working on Bronze moves. I have worked on the forward power stroking, backward power stroking, 5 step Mohawk, and the alternating to BO edges with my coach. He will probably start me on the power 3's soon. I guess I would have to pass on the first try in order to be able to compete at the Bronze Men II level. BUT!!!! I got to get through those damn moves first!!!!! KILL ME!!!

Like you, MSF, I have the jumps, (albiet no lutz yet, but that and flip will hopefully make appearances in lessons very soon) but cannot spin worth beans!

Relax about passing the first time out, though. The application comes out around November and the deadline is January 15, so there's plenty of time to get the tests in!

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Well I hope to be able to compete at 2006 AN wherever they may be! I have my work cut out for me. I am now working on Bronze moves. <snip> As far as the Freestyle test, I only need to greatly improve my spins. My jumps are all there, including(from what I am told) a very good Lutz.I have total faith in you. You're a strong skater who works very hard, and you have an awesome coach! And yes, your lutz is to die for!

2006 AN (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=28954) is definitely in Dallas, and it's being held 2 weeks earlier than this year's AN (which makes me upset because I have to go to a meeting in Atlanta, March 26-30. Grrr!).

Terri C
03-27-2005, 04:33 PM
2006 AN (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=28954) is definitely in Dallas, and it's being held 2 weeks earlier than this year's AN (which makes me upset because I have to go to a meeting in Atlanta, March 26-30. Grrr!).

Is this to assume no AN 2006 for you??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
All that work that Jazzpants and I will do for nothing!! :evil:

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Is this to assume no AN 2006 for you??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
All that work that Jazzpants and I will do for nothing!! :evil:Well ... I'm very good at getting out of work commitments (remember the Halloween Classic fiasco when my managing editor forbid me from leaving an advisory board meeting early and then I just didn't bother to show up for it on that Friday? 8-) ). This will be trickier ... but hey, I've got a whole year to connive and scheme! And really, I have zero desire in going to Dallas.

Terri C
03-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Well ... I'm very good at getting out of work commitments (remember the Halloween Classic fiasco when my managing editor forbid me from leaving an advisory board meeting early and then I just didn't bother to show up for it on that Friday? 8-) ). This will be trickier ... but hey, I've got a whole year to connive and scheme! And really, I have zero desire in going to Dallas.

There, that gives me a WHOLE year to get a campaign going to get you convinced to go to Dallas (remember the "Keep NoVa From Scratching" campaign from New Year's??? :D :twisted: )

MusicSkateFan
03-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the pep cheer NoVa. I will keep my nose to the grindstone and hopefully my rear end off the ice!(unlike my last lesson, lol)

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 04:57 PM
There, that gives me a WHOLE year to get a campaign going to get you convinced to go to Dallas (remember the "Keep NoVa From Scratching" campaign from New Year's??? :D :twisted: )Dallas, Shmallas. Let's deal with one campaign at a time, mmkay?

Yeah, and that performance at New Year's was so memorable. :roll: My flying camel was so scary; I almost planted myself into the ice. My coach still ribs me on how bad I was--and it really was the worst performance ever (for me, a perfectionist).
To wit, last week:
Coach: "So let's do your program this morning ... and try not to leave out 3 jumps like you did at Ashburn."

(Here's where I curse and spit like a cobra ... and then she has to hear excessive diatribe, yadda yadda yadda. :P )

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the pep cheer NoVa. I will keep my nose to the grindstone and hopefully my rear end off the ice!(unlike my last lesson, lol)But it's good to fall. I am petrified of falling, and it's really preventing me from landing my triple jumps. Yeah, that's it! :D :P

Actually, my coach lambastes me on how undaring I am on my axel.

But Loops did convince me to fall on a pair sit spin today. That actuallly felt good. (Steve thinks: "I can fall and not get hurt, I can fall and not get hurt, I can ... .) And a former group lesson instructor told me: "If you're not going home with a wet bottom, then you're not practicing your sit spin hard enough." Too true. So MSF, here's to falling and subsequent progress!

Terri C
03-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah, and that performance at New Year's was so memorable. :roll: My flying camel was so scary; I almost planted myself into the ice. My coach still ribs me on how bad I was--and it really was the worst performance ever (for me, a perfectionist).
To wit, last week:
Coach: "So let's do your program this morning ... and try not to leave out 3 jumps like you did at Ashburn."

(Here's where I curse and spit like a cobra ... and then she has to hear excessive diatribe, yadda yadda yadda. :P )

The next time you skate your program, remember CRC, okay?? ;)

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 05:07 PM
The next time you skate your program, remember CRC, okay?? ;)Well, CRC wasn't perfect either. I blanked out on my program halfway through during that back hydroblade move. :oops:
My special performance is the one I did at the Peach Classic. Atlanta was so good to me ... 8-)

Terri C
03-27-2005, 05:12 PM
NoVa,
I've said this before and I'll say it again:
You kill me!!!! :lol: :lol: :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 05:13 PM
NoVa,
I've said this before and I'll say it again:
You kill me!!!! :lol: :lol: :roll:Well, I'm glad I serve some purpose in this life ... ;)

TimDavidSkate
03-27-2005, 05:33 PM
My special performance of the season so far is New Year's Invitational. I regret not doing the same at Easterns. I got too scared and frozen up.

Anyways, this thread is about Dalls/Nationals. I wish Nationals would be at Lake Placid again. Next year, I would probably compete in Silver I.

Hey Nova how 'bout them drinks? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are we partying in Kansas?

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey Nova how 'bout them drinks? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are we partying in Kansas?I no longer skate on Monday nights since I'm on the ice at 6:30am on Tuesday. Plus, I don't drink. (Why does everyone think that I am total tippler?! Sheesh, I have a couple of run-ins with "a few" Jell-O shots, and I'm branded for life! :P Harrumph!) Don't know much about Kansas. I'm too worried about my pairs program and making final adjustments to my singles program.

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 05:57 PM
... "partying in Kansas"Seems like a TOTAL oxymoron to me. ;)

sk8pics
03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Geez, maybe I should start a " Skaters without lessons support group" thread!

I'm with you and Debbie here, and feeling grumpy about it. My primary coach decides he "has" to go to Florida for a week, so I actually miss a week and a half of lessons since I had no lesson today. :evil: We're going to miss a lot of time over the next couple months and I am NOT happy about it. :cry: This week my moves coach is going to spend a full session with me instead of a half, and I'm grateful to him for that. I still have to call my other coach and see if he has any spare time this week. I just feel kind of lost and like I've lost all momentum, and I don't think I'll ever make it to any nationals, ever. :cry: :cry: :frus: Especially not at this rate.

Sigh.

Pat

Terri C
03-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I no longer skate on Monday nights since I'm on the ice at 6:30am on Tuesday. Plus, I don't drink.

YOU LIE!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :P

Besides, makes sense to go to bed early 8O (uh oh, call Christine Brennan on this one- NoVa going to bed early) when you're on the ice at 6:30 am!

Beccapoo2003
03-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Amen, fo real...how bout dem Vodka nips!? :) 8-) :twisted: :lol:
Becca

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 07:07 PM
YOU LIE!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :P

Besides, makes sense to go to bed early 8O (uh oh, call Christine Brennan on this one- NoVa going to bed early) when you're on the ice at 6:30 am!Um, yeah, I don't really go to bed early--ever. I just don't like to skate full out on Monday night at my rink then return a few hours later in the morning for my lesson (where my coach delights in having me do axel, double sal, and double flip drills 8O). My back needs recharge time.

And stop besmirching me (leave that to anti-Christ-ine Brennan)!!!!

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Amen, fo real...how bout dem Vodka nips!? :) 8-) :twisted: :lol:
BeccaThat was an isolated incident. :halo:

Terri C
03-27-2005, 07:15 PM
And stop besmirching me (leave that to anti-Christ-ine Brennan)!!!!

Me?? :halo:

Debbie S
03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
At the rate that I'm going, I think my primary coach is gonna wait 'til the new skating season for me to take the Bronze Moves test b/c the primary focus will change (from "power" to "strength and flow") He thinks that I would have a better chance passing if the focus was changed to that. I have a funny feeling that in the end this would be my best course.

I thought about this too, since my power 3's don't have much power. But I suspect that even if the proposed changes do pass at Governing Council (which is not guaranteed), the actual judging may not change much. After all, if a judge has been judging a particular move for 10 years and is used to using a particular passing standard, how easy will it be for them to change their expectations? And power vs. strength and flow is subjective anyway.

It's the same issue that occurs with moves from higher-level standard tests being adjusted in point values for the adult track. Do the judges actually change their expectations and apply a lower standard? For example, even though the forward and back perimeter stroking and 5-step are Pre-Juv moves, they are supposed to be judged according to Prelim passing standard (2.5) in the Bronze test. But what does that mean to a judge (and skaters preparing for the test)? Are there certain aspects of these moves that could be lacking to pass at the "lower" standard, and what are they? That's why mixing up moves and creating a testing track where skills don't always flow logically from one level to the next is not a good idea. But I guess we should save that for another thread. :)

Debbie S
03-27-2005, 09:51 PM
I just feel kind of lost and like I've lost all momentum, and I don't think I'll ever make it to any nationals, ever.

Cheer up, Pat! Just do what I'm doing - keep practicing and thinking positive. Right now is kind of a lull in the season for adults not going to AN. Maybe it would help to make a list of what you want to work on at each practice. Now is a great time to work on those, since you don't have to run through your program for a while.

jazzpants
03-27-2005, 10:44 PM
It's the same issue that occurs with moves from higher-level standard tests being adjusted in point values for the adult track. Do the judges actually change their expectations and apply a lower standard?Doubtful! Very doubtful!!! My rink is getting tougher in the passing standard now and I've been hearing that they now matching (or exceeding) what the kids are doing. So I guess having a few extra months to work on it is probably a good thing, since I'm really doubtful now that it'll be ready by May. (I don't want to test between June and August because kids are taking tests to be eligible for regionals and I know judges are EXTRA TOUGH around that time... particularly the very last test session before the regional deadline.)

NoVa Sk8r... :( that you're not going to AN next year! I was looking forward to meeting you! *pout* *pout*

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
NoVa Sk8r... :( that you're not going to AN next year! I was looking forward to meeting you! *pout* *pout*Come to Peach in September!!!
I'm gonna talk to the senior editor in my group about this conflict. Maybe I can convince her to go to this national meeting (http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=meetings\future.html) instead or trade with her for some other job responsibility?? Well, at the rate I've been going at work, it wouldn't surprise me if they fire me by then! :??

jazzpants
03-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Come to Peach in September!!!
I'm gonna talk to the senior editor in my group about this conflict. Maybe I can convince her to go to this national meeting (http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=meetings\future.html) instead or trade with her for some other job responsibility?? Well, at the rate I've been going at work, it wouldn't surprise me if they fire me by then! :??Well, I hope I save up enough money for it by then. And I have some amount of house and car expenses that must come first.

NoVa Sk8r
03-28-2005, 10:39 AM
OK, I just conspired with the senior editor ... and it looks like I might be able to go to AN '06 after all--and have my employer pay for most of my airfare! I think I only have to be at the meeting from Sun.-Wed., then I can fly directly to Dallas.

(Of course, I've not decided if I even want to compete next year at all, but that's a different topic altogether.)

Terri C
03-28-2005, 10:42 AM
OK, I just conspired with the senior editor ... and it looks like I might be able to go to AN '06 after all--and have my employer pay for most of my airfare! I think I only have to be at the meeting from Sun.-Wed., then I can fly directly to Dallas.

(Of course, I've not decided if I even want to compete next year at all, but that's a different topic altogether.)

Alrighty now, let the campaign begin!!! :D :twisted:

jazzpants
03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
(Of course, I've not decided if I even want to compete next year at all, but that's a different topic altogether.)NoVA Sk8r!!!! *stern look*

Meanwhile I better really work hard now to keep my end of the bargain and pass all my tests for AN 2006!

NoVa Sk8r
03-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Alrighty now, let the campaign begin!!! :D :twisted:Ugh :roll: ... <Steve crawls under his desk and hides while eating chocolate-covered strawberries.>

Maryeb44
03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey, you guys are mentioning qualifying for Adult Nationals so what levels do you have to be in order to compete? I mean, you guys are talking about Bronze qualifying you to skate AN's so what does that mean? Is it like Regionals, top 4 qualify for Sectionals and top 4 go to Nationals like being a non-top 5 skater at Nationals or is it different? Can someone please respond because I am really interested in this now that I am starting to get back on the ice!

Thanx,
Mary E.

Terri C
03-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey, you guys are mentioning qualifying for Adult Nationals so what levels do you have to be in order to compete? I mean, you guys are talking about Bronze qualifying you to skate AN's so what does that mean? Is it like Regionals, top 4 qualify for Sectionals and top 4 go to Nationals like being a non-top 5 skater at Nationals or is it different? Can someone please respond because I am really interested in this now that I am starting to get back on the ice!

For those that are Gold or Masters that want to compete in the Championship events, they qualify through Adult Sectionals and those are held in all three regions (Eastern, Midwestern, and Pacific) every February- March. The top 4 at those sectionals qualify for the Championship event at AN. There are also open Gold events where one is grouped by age, and Masters Novice (that would be you!) Junior and Senior events.
For Bronze and Silver, that's non- qualifying and you can compete there if you pass the required moves and freestyle tests!
There are several of us on this board, Jazzpants and myself included that are working VERY HARD to at least pass the Bronze tests so we can go to Dallas next year!

Maryeb44
03-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Thank you SOOOO much for clearing this up for me! I guess I have a lot of work to do if I want to get to Adult Nationals.

Mary E.

jazzpants
04-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Bumping this up!

No rest for the weary... I got a lesson with the primary coach this afternoon (probably to work on Bronze moves) since he will be at AN (to coach and see friends) this week! So say hello to my coach if you see him! :) And no, he's NOT competing this year... at least not that I know of...

Keep the faith, those of you that are in my shoes trying to work on passing those darn tests to become eligible for AN!!! (I'm trying to, but admitted feeling a bit depressed b/c I'm not going again this year b/c I'm not eligible yet.) :(

Terri C
04-12-2005, 11:34 AM
I have a lesson today too, but with secondary coach. Moves will be on the bill along with spins!

Our club is planning a test session in June, so that is the goal as far as moves are concerned. No need to think about the free until my sitspin gets more solid! :cry: I'd like to test that possibly at Peach if there is a test session there like they did last year, but I'm also trying to put things in realistic terms here.

I've had my lesson today and...
I need a #$%^ road map to get that pattern on the 5 step mohawk!!!
I'd rather be stuck in power three hell!!!

jazzpants
04-13-2005, 01:00 AM
I've had my lesson today and...
I need a #$%^ road map to get that pattern on the 5 step mohawk!!!
I'd rather be stuck in power three hell!!!If you have closed hips like I do, you don't wanna be in power three hell! It was the bane of my existence for the last 2.5 years!!! :evil: :frus: Given that... my 5 step mohawks ain't too hot either!!! :frus: Even stranger is that, given the amount of work I put into the forward power 3's, it's tied with the 5 step mohawk for being the second best of the Bronze moves as of late.

I don't think either of my coaches are thinking of my FS test as of now. They just want me to get my Bronze moves out of the way now...

If you ever make it to my neck of the woods for a few weeks, I recommend you taking lessons with my primary coach. He's great at teaching students to do sit spins!!! :mrgreen: Short of that, my big secret for getting good sit spins is that it's ALL in the spin entry. If you consistently get a good spin entry, you'll take away a good portion of your forward spin problems...whether sit spins, scratch spin, camels... whatever!!! (My old secondary coach, Mistress Coach, definitely had a method to her madness...even though I still think she's MAD!!!) :twisted:

Terri C
04-13-2005, 08:16 AM
If you have closed hips like I do, you don't wanna be in power three hell! It was the bane of my existence for the last 2.5 years!!! :evil: :If you ever make it to my neck of the woods for a few weeks, I recommend you taking lessons with my primary coach. He's great at teaching students to do sit spins!!! :mrgreen:

My hips are open, so that's not a problem!
I have a "sitspin tutor" in mind, but I'm waiting until after AN to look into that possibility!

jazzpants
04-13-2005, 10:59 AM
My hips are open, so that's not a problem!
I have a "sitspin tutor" in mind, but I'm waiting until after AN to look into that possibility!If it's any consolation, I didn't get a recognizable sit spin 'til a couple of years after I started on it. I was so fearful of falling on my butt! When I finally get it in my "chicken mode" brain that it would be LESS painful to fall when my butt is closer to the ground, the sit spins started coming more. I still have a lot to work on for that sit spin. I have a decent one, but am aiming towards a sit spin worthy of a pro. 8-) ("How low can you go?" as she limbos her sit spins.) :lol:

jazzpants
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Had my lesson with my primary coach yesterday afternoon and well, as you can see from my last posting on the "Spring Flowers/April Showers" thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=224403#post224403) that I have a LOOOONG way to go before I'm ready to take the Bronze Moves test again!!! :frus:

Terri C
04-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Had my lesson with my primary coach yesterday afternoon and well, as you can see from my last posting on the "Spring Flowers/April Showers" thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=224403#post224403) that I have a LOOOONG way to go before I'm ready to take the Bronze Moves test again!!! :frus:

Uh well, my coach has told me that she wants to put my test out in June/ July! 8O Who knows, if I do the DC session, I might be testing with MusicSkate Fan!

jazzpants
04-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Uh well, my coach has told me that she wants to put my test out in June/ July! 8O Who knows, if I do the DC session, I might be testing with MusicSkate Fan! Well, what I told my primary coach to do (and I should follow up on this) is... I write my test application form and give him a check for my skating club, but not fill in a test date. When he feels I'm ready, he will put in the test date and sign me up for the test session. But... (here's the caveat!) he does NOT tell me I'm testing 'til the week of the test session. I figure this will help me to deal with my nerves in anticipation for the test session.

Of course, there is a fly in the ointment with that plan... I have a tendency to look at the upcoming test session schedule when it come out usually a couple of weeks before the test session anyway. :twisted:

mantysk8er
04-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Hi, everyone! I know this thread is a bit old, but I have been lurking here for awhile and finally just registered today.

Count me in for Dallas 2006! Bronze Ladies I!

I was actually in Grapevine for work in October and was at that mall. I'm excited to have the opportunity to go back there.

I was looking at the USFSA results...was there really only one Bronze 1 group this year? I was in Ann Arbor in 2003 and there were three!

Terri C
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm going CRAZY with the end pattern of the power 3's where my coach has me do back crossovers and then hold the LFI edge to step onto the RFO for the RFO power threes! How does your coach have you negotiate that end pattern for the RFO 3's?
The starting pattern is getting better- I'm no longer walking through it!

jazzpants
04-20-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm going CRAZY with the end pattern of the power 3's where my coach has me do back crossovers and then hold the LFI edge to step onto the RFO for the RFO power threes! How does your coach have you negotiate that end pattern for the RFO 3's?
The starting pattern is getting better- I'm no longer walking through it!I do the back crossovers too (at both ends of the rink), but I've found that keeping your right leg (holding the LFI edge) crossed behind until you step into the first RFO3 helps. After the last RFO3, side step and then do back crossovers to end the power 3's.

Geez, I hope that the next time my primary coach sees the pattern that what I've practiced on the weekend will come out. (I had a good pratice Sat. The power 3's were nice, particularly on the RFO3 side. Of course, that's my spinning side! :P )

jazzpants
04-20-2005, 06:59 PM
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pcrying.gif

As you read probably from the Cherry Blossom (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=225205#post225205) thread, I have it pretty decent on my CW but not my CCW back crossovers on the power 3's. I'm finding today that I have all sorts of issues with that side!!! :frus: Fat chance, I'll be testing in May! I'll be lucky to pass Bronze Moves this year...AGAIN!!! WAAAAAH!!!!

Thin-Ice
04-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Hang in there Jazzpants...

The deadline is January 15th and that's months from now! And as dedicated as you are at working on these things (and knowing your primary coach), you should have this thing done by late summer/early fall. It's like the old joke: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

Think of all the progress you've already made. At this time last year, you would have been VERY happy to be skating as well as you are now.

That's the best but still most frustrating part of this sport. We are all making progress (albeit some more quickly than others! I've been working on Juvenile moves for close to forever.) but then we want more.. so we go back to working hard, making progress, and then wanting still more. :frus:

Keep skating/working hard/hoping and we'll see you in Dallas!

Scooby-Doo
04-23-2005, 12:36 PM
The starting pattern is getting better- I'm no longer walking through it!

In the rulebook it says skaters may begin this move with either their right of left foot, so I started with the RFO 3's first. And to negotiate the end pattern, I did forward stroking, usually three strokes, and then into the LFO 3's .

jazzpants
05-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Just want to bump this thread up again to see how my fellow pre-Bronze skaters are coming along on the AN 2006 goal!

As you read on the Lead/Gold (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=228002#post228002) thread, I'm doing better, though I still have those issues remaining (which is what's keeping me from taking the test.) The good part though is that given my current progress and the changes at the GC meeting (http://www.usfsa.org/content/2005CombinedROA.pdf), my primary coach thinks I now have a good chance of passing the Bronze Moves this Sept. He seemed very relaxed about it, especially after I went thru all the moves during my lesson. He still has the ol' test forms from last year (the test that I didn't pass) and said I'm improved LOADS since last year's test. I've been doing a lot of complete runthrus as of late, so that's also a good sign as well.

And if that isn't the icing on the cake, one of my long time nemesis elements on the Bronze freestyle test is not that much of a nemesis anymore. Seems the backspin is finally coming along. (As in I'm on the BO edge now and I do spin more than 3 revs.) :mrgreen:

But... one thing at a time. I sure would like to see me pass the Bronze Moves and get that out of the way first. :) (And I promised Terri C when I get to Peach Classic that I will do the Bronze Moves event. It should be pretty close to when I'm supposed to take the test anyway, so...not much stress to prepare for it.) :mrgreen:

Casey
05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Well, sort of, because I don't actually like vodka, so would probably have given my nip to someone who does.... :lol:

Well that nasty grain vodka (i.e. Smirnoff) is one thing, but a good russian potato vodka is entirely another, one which I hear suits skaters quite well, as indicated by the elite skaters coming out of Russia ;-)

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I said that, mind you, before I'd had the delicious vanilla-flavoured vodka I had at AN, which took me a fair way towards changing my mind!

NoVa Sk8r
05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I said that, mind you, before I'd had the delicious vanilla-flavoured vodka I had at AN, which took me a fair way towards changing my mind!The orange-, raspberry- (?), green apple-, and citrus-flavored nips that I had were also good! :mrgreen:

(And I would say that the best potato vodkas are Polish ...)

Terri C
05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Jazzpants,
Please clean out your mailbox! I have something to send you!

Casey
05-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Well I should join this thread I suppose. I am going to try to pass Bronze freestyle and MIF and come to AN 2006 :D

(I have already prearranged to have any public humiliation blamed on skaternum, for suggesting it.)

jazzpants
05-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Jazzpants,
Please clean out your mailbox! I have something to send you!Done! Please try again!!!

jazzpants
05-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Well I should join this thread I suppose. I am going to try to pass Bronze freestyle and MIF and come to AN 2006 :D

(I have already prearranged to have any public humiliation blamed on skaternum, for suggesting it.)And I think you should... Get yourself a good private coach be ready to work on those 3turns, mohawks, and crossovers, cuz you're gonna need it to pass your moves! :D

Here's the stuff you should be working on with your coach:

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2005CombinedROA.pdf

(read page 30-33 of this doc...and have your new coach do the same too!)

skaternum
05-23-2005, 08:26 PM
(I have already prearranged to have any public humiliation blamed on skaternum, for suggesting it.)And I've gladly agreed to accept it. I've been publicly humiliating myself for years now -- I can take any humiliation Casey has coming to him. :lol:

jazzpants
07-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Just want to see how everyone is progressing on their quest for AN 2006.

I'll start with mine... well, it's gonna be tight but I'm trying very hard to work on moves well enough that I can take the Bronze Moves tests in Sept. So far, my practice runs on my weekend rink has been pretty good (mainly b/c of lack of crowds) My last lesson wasn't that great though, mainly b/c I was sleep-skating at the time, but also b/c of the crowded session. But I wasn't going with as much speed and power as I have done at previous lessons. He blames it on the early morning hours... about a hour before that lesson, I got a wake up call from the primary coach asking if I was coming to the rink for my lesson. :twisted: So starting next Thursday (not the coming one...) my lesson is an hour later! (Thank you to my nice boss for being understanding about the summer skating schedule!!!)

I'm gonna hate my test session for sure... probably should pack a sleeping bag with me too! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/3dlil/sleep.gif

Debbie S
07-12-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm gonna hate my test session for sure... probably should pack a sleeping bag with me too! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/3dlil/sleep.gif

If you do end up testing early in the morning, it might help to force yourself to get up at an earlier (than usual) time for a few days prior to the test. Then, of course, you'll be forced to go to sleep earlier than normal each day so by test day, you'll have gotten a "normal" amount of sleep. Theoretically, that is. :)

As for my progress, I've sort of given up on getting to AN next year for a bunch of reasons. Actually, I am tentatively planning a trip in late Feb-early March (it's a group trip so it can't be rescheduled) so I probably wouldn't be able to take time off from work so soon after. I do still want to pass Bronze MIF and FS as soon as I can, and I'm thinking about trying to aim for a Sept or Oct test session for moves. As for freestyle...still no sign of an acceptable backspin, so this might take a while. :frus:

flying~camel
07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Just want to see how everyone is progressing on their quest for AN 2006.

Passed Bronze moves a couple of weeks ago and taking Bronze FS in a couple of weeks :)

jazzpants
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
If you do end up testing early in the morning, it might help to force yourself to get up at an earlier (than usual) time for a few days prior to the test. Then, of course, you'll be forced to go to sleep earlier than normal each day so by test day, you'll have gotten a "normal" amount of sleep. Theoretically, that is. :) Well, the other option I have requires taking some time off work and some paperwork filed, but I have the option of taking it at another rink's test session. Just have to get the club's permission to do it. And I'm sure my primary coach would appreciate that too!!!

The other factor in taking this test is that my secondary coach MAY also want to watch me test too!

So happy for you flying~camel! Good luck with your Bronze FS test!!!

Terri C
07-12-2005, 06:25 PM
As many of you may know, my training to get the Bronze moves test to passing has been sidelined by my mother's illness. While she passed yesterday, I'll probably push any test attempts till the fall and possibly take Bronze moves and free in one day! Onward to getting ready for Peach!

Beccapoo2003
07-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Terri,
I'm so sorry to hear of your Mother's passing. I know she would be happy that you are continuing with your skating plans. I look forward to seeing you at Peach!
Take one day at a time and take care,
Hugs,
Becca

Thin-Ice
07-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Terri C--

I'm sorry to hear about your Mother's passing. :cry: I'm sure this is an emotional and difficult time for you. Please remember to take good care of yourself and give yourself some "comfort time" each and every day... even if it's only 5-10 minutes when you indulge yourself with WHATEVER you need to feel safe and cherished. You deserve AND need it right now.

You are in my thoughts.

Hannahclear
07-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Tee hee, how about a thread for those of us aiming for 07? :lol: I'm testing pre bronze next month, but will probably need at least six more months to do bronze moves THEN I'll start on the program. The good news is that I can do bronze freestyle though. I've got the jumps through lutz. But I need lots of practice to perfect my moves. As of now, I have decent, though not perfect, Power 3's and decent forward power stroking. That's about it so far. 8O

skatingatty
07-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Terri,
I too am saddened to hear about your mom. I hope things are going ok and that your skating's keeping your spirits up. I'm now planning to go to AN in Dallas-- my first adult nationals. Seems like a nice location where there are hotels nearby and I won't have to rent a car. I'll compete in silver as usual.

jazzpants
07-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Still pushing to do well in my Bronze Moves... I now have to work on my back crossovers in the ends of the rink. (They SUCK!!!) Everything else looks okay to him, but he has to prod me to do them right! I'm wondering whether or not I'll be ready for it come Sept., since they're far from perfect still. My secondary coach isn't saying ANYTHING about it... but I know she's watching...

jazzpants
08-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Bumpity Bump.... anyone still working on this besides me?

I'm pushing to take Bronze Moves test in Oct. now. I'm not pushing my luck to test Sept given the stress from the summer FS sessions and the show...but we'll see how primary coach takes the news when I tell him. (He wants me to test Sept.... even when I was doing "doo-doo" Bronze moves at last Thursday's lesson.)

And let's not talk about my Bronze FS program (or rather lack of one...) :roll:

Debbie S
08-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Bumpity Bump.... anyone still working on this besides me?

I am! I'm hoping to make an Oct test date somewhere. To be honest, I'm getting kind of tired of practicing them. Maybe that's a good sign? I remember right before I tested Pre-Bronze moves, I was so sick of alternating 3-turns and BI edges I could have thrown them out the window - lol. :)

Terri C
08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
If all goes well, I'll also be pushing for a October/ November test date!
Trying to get the 5 step mohawk on pattern with little kids around and the regular freestyle kids goofing off, well.... :evil: :frus: !

jazzpants
08-09-2005, 06:56 PM
I am! I'm hoping to make an Oct test date somewhere. To be honest, I'm getting kind of tired of practicing them. Maybe that's a good sign? I remember right before I tested Pre-Bronze moves, I was so sick of alternating 3-turns and BI edges I could have thrown them out the window - lol. :)I personally would rather take it in Sept. and get it over and done with... If I could get one more thing off my plate, it would allow me to concentrate on FS stuff for the rest of the year (though obviously I still have to practice my moves b/c I'll be testing prelim and pre-Juv moves next after I test Bronze FS!)

skaternum
08-09-2005, 08:11 PM
If I could get one more thing off my plate, it would allow me to concentrate on FS stuff for the rest of the year (though obviously I still have to practice my moves b/c I'll be testing prelim and pre-Juv moves next after I test Bronze FS!)Wow, that's a lot! 8O Are you sure you want to tackle two standard track moves tests during the lead up period to your first Adult Nationals??

nerd_on_ice
08-09-2005, 10:19 PM
My dissertation has eaten my life (I understand this is common :lol: ) and I haven't even tested Pre-Bronze yet--had hoped to do it around June and squeeze in the Bronze tests at the last possible moment before AN entries were due. Ah well. I live in Dallas so I'll be happy to volunteer my services as restaurant critic, tourism reference, cheerleader, organizer of beer runs, etc.

jazzpants
08-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Wow, that's a lot! 8O Are you sure you want to tackle two standard track moves tests during the lead up period to your first Adult Nationals??Sorry... I didn't mean it that way! :oops: I meant that after Bronze FS that those two tests will be the next to test... but yeah, obviously, I won't be working on them 'til I get AN over and done with. Right now, I don't even have the alt 3's and the prelim spirals down at all. My reward for working on those blasted move is to work on FS for a while and have a great time in Dallas!!! :P

flying~camel
08-10-2005, 06:42 AM
I still need to take my Bronze freestyle test, but that may have to wait until October, as there aren't any local test sessions scheduled until after regionals :??

flying~camel
01-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Okay, I paid my non-refundable entry fee and bought my non-refundable plane ticket - there's no backing out now! ;)

mskater
01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Okay, I paid my non-refundable entry fee and bought my non-refundable plane ticket - there's no backing out now! ;)

Very exciting - what event(s) will you be entering? I hope to be purchasing a plane ticket soon as well!

flying~camel
01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Bronze I Ladies Freestyle- which, unless I get my lutz consistent, I am expecting to bomb! :frus:

flo
01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
We'll need to start a Who's Going list now that the AN registration deadline is passed.

I'll be there in Gold Pairs.

coskater64
01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Well, I'm going, I'll be skating Novice Ladies III, my artistic which I will ONLY do at AN's in Dallas, Master's Ladies III should hopefully be appreciated.
8O

techskater
01-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm going. Gold Ladies 2, Masters Interp 2, and dare I hope? Can I say it? Will I jinx it????? I am going to try again to qualify for Championship...

Joan
01-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Bronze ladies IV and Interpretive IV (I'm not very prepared so far...)8O

sexyskates
01-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I also have my non refundable plane ticket and have now booked a cheap hotel and reserved a car - I'm there! I will perform in Ladies Silver Free IV and Interp. But first we have Washington and Raleigh!