View Full Version : Practice exercise for flip or lutz?

mikawendy
02-17-2005, 11:30 PM
I saw this on TV once and was wondering if any of you had ever done this exercise. I think it was Sasha Cohen or Elena Liashenko in some Grand Prix event-- the exercise was for the lutz (but would probably work for the flip). The skater started on the entrance edge for the jump (at a very low speed), picked in with the picking foot, but instead of jumping, put the blade on the ice and went into a backspin on the picking foot (which is also the landing foot, in the case of the lutz or the flip).

I guess the idea is to learn to commit the weight to the landing side and to get the feel of rotating over that side. I've never tried it but was curious to know if anyone has?...

Mrs Redboots
02-18-2005, 03:50 AM
I've not seen that. The practice exercise my coach makes his skaters do as a drill is actually the reverse - you pick in, then jump up and land without rotating. He said this was to make his skaters stop over-rotating while still on the ice!

falling_rain
02-18-2005, 04:06 AM
i did that! actually i did it when i learnt double salchow. i changed over to my landing foot and did a backspin. i think that's the idea behind doing a waltz jump into a backspin to learn the axel as well.

Vicki
02-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Yup - my coach has me do this and it's what helped me finally get my flip. It made a huge difference for me.

Terri C
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Whie I don't have my flip yet, (cleaning up the loop took priority) I have tried this exercise as well as just picking back and jumping up and landing on two feet without rotating. I have come to getting a 1/4 cheat , which IMHO is not bad.
Hopefully this spring and summer, I'll start back and finally get one!