View Full Version : Instrumental - All That Jazz?

sktngmom
02-16-2005, 06:20 AM
Does anyone know if there is an instrumental version of "All That Jazz?" My daughter would like to use this music, but I haven't had any luck finding an instrumental version.

Isk8NYC
02-16-2005, 06:51 AM
The soundtracks for movies and musicals often have longer-than-the-radio songs. Even those with vocals can have the 1-3 minutes needed for a skating program. Sometimes, you can splice together the first part of a song and "make it fit" with the ending and voila! you've got the right length music.

Try borrowing the soundtrack from someone to check it out before you buy. Our library has a lending list for CD's.

Make sure you check the timing after you've cut the program music. You don't want to exceed the allowed time. Don't try to cut it to the length+runover time -- stopwatches, tape decks, and CD players can vary at competitions. If the official times the program over the allowed limit because the tape deck was slower at that rink, the skater can receive a deduction.

sktngmom
02-16-2005, 07:32 AM
The soundtracks for movies and musicals often have longer-than-the-radio songs. Even those with vocals can have the 1-3 minutes needed for a skating program. Sometimes, you can splice together the first part of a song and "make it fit" with the ending and voila! you've got the right length music.

Try borrowing the soundtrack from someone to check it out before you buy. Our library has a lending list for CD's.

Thanks for your response. I've already checked the Original Cast CD and there just is not enough instrumental portions. There is a man speaking at the beginning of each song and then vocals through most of the rest. The most I could get was just over 1 1/2 from the overture. We need a little over 2 min. I don't know if the newer version would have more.

jmp123
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
I did a google search for "all that jazz" instrumental and came up with some sites, including http://www.footlight.com/product.cfm?product_id=2165

You can hear a clip of this one at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000150W/qid=1108573076/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-2049652-2476804?v=glance&s=music

I haven't heard any of these, though, so I don't know how good they are.

Mrs Redboots
02-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know if there is an instrumental version of "All That Jazz?" My daughter would like to use this music, but I haven't had any luck finding an instrumental version.Must she? I'm so sick and tired of seeing children skating to that piece....

Yes, there is an instrumental version; someone I know skated to it long before the movie was even thought of, but I have no idea where it came from. But it's not an appropriate piece for a child to skate to, if you ask me - if your skater is under about 14, do discourage her!

skaternum
02-16-2005, 04:03 PM
I agree with Annabel. This is the most overused song of the last 2 skating seasons!! It's become such a cliche. Unless your daughter is dead set on it, please encourage her to find something else.

sktngmom
02-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Must she? I'm so sick and tired of seeing children skating to that piece....

Yes, there is an instrumental version; someone I know skated to it long before the movie was even thought of, but I have no idea where it came from. But it's not an appropriate piece for a child to skate to, if you ask me - if your skater is under about 14, do discourage her!

I do agree that it is not an appropriate choice for a young skater. However,my daughter is 18. She has wanted to skate to this song for years but her coach and I both told her to wait until she was older. It may be overused, but it is the music she really wants to skate to.

skatersmama
02-16-2005, 10:08 PM
See if she will change her mind, that song is sooooo overused. At a small interclub competition, at least 5 kids used that song. Way to many!

fadedstardust
02-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Well no matter how grating and overused this music is, if she wants to skate to it then she should. She needs to be advised though that unless she does a SPECTACULAR, one of a kind job on the presentation, that she probably won't score all that high in that department because a) it's been done so many times that you can bet people have done it better (and worse, of course) than she will and b) judges get so fed up with this kind of music that unless she 110 percent sells it, she won't be marked kindly in the presentation aspect. I mean it is just not all that hard to find good music to skate to, and there's endless choices, it's so irritating that people always pick the same thing, so unoriginal and lazy, IMO. There's tons of music that sounds like All That Jazz (if you dig through a good Jazz compilation, and most doesn't have vocals) but that isn't so darn obvious. What's the point of skating to something like that? I mean when your music starts, how will you even know it's your turn? I always see the following at every competition:

1. Swan Lake
2. Beethoven (techno, usually...)
3. All That Jazz
4. Tosca
5. Malaguena
6. Carmen

and lately, Phantom of the Opera.

It never fails! Pick something elseeeeeee.

sktngmom
02-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks for all of your comments, but I guess I will have to try and find this on my own. While I understand that this music is overused, it is what my daughter wants and her coach and I don't have a problem with it.

Elsy2
02-17-2005, 06:36 AM
I am guessing most have used the soundtrack from Chicago? Have you listed to that? I have it somewhere around here....I'll try and find it and listen to see if there is enough music without vocals.

Having a sixteen year old (turning 17 in March), I know it may not be worth trying to convince her otherwise :giveup:

Found it and had a listen. Don't think it's what you are after. There is enough instrumental music on this CD for a program. Track 1 starts with instrumental, but vocals come in at the part you recognize as "All That Jazz". Track 14 has 1:30 of instrumental music, and tracks 15 and 16 are instrumental.

Maybe she should listen to see if she likes any of that music, as it is in the same sort of music, but not particularly "All That Jazz". Good luck finding what you need.

Mrs Redboots
02-17-2005, 08:04 AM
You can get an instrumental version - as I think I said earlier, I know someone who skated to it long before the movie was made. And anyway, they make instrumental versions of *all* the most popular songs from musicals, so I'd be very surprised if there weren't a wide variety of choices around. Try Amazon, or somewhere - they're bound to have a selection. Or ask at your local record shop.

I know a young skater who tried "I got rhythm" from Porgy & Bess. She didn't end up skating to it, but it really suited her - I'd have liked to have seen it intercut with another Gershwin piece (I'm a mega Gershwin fan, these days!), say, "Summertime" for a change of pace...... didn't happen, though.

Elsy2
02-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I just though you might be able to persuade her to use similar music that may not be as recognizable.

Whatever you decide, I hope she loves her program :)

dbny
02-17-2005, 05:37 PM
While I understand that this music is overused, it is what my daughter wants and her coach and I don't have a problem with it.

I think it's very important to skate to music you like, even if it's overused. If the goal is to skate one's personal best, then it doesn't matter who else has used/is using the same music. My daughter always chose her own music, which I initially felt was a burden, but that was the way my daughter and her coach both wanted it.

Good luck to your daughter when she finally gets to skate to "All That Jazz".

Skate@Delaware
02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Another source of music without vocals is karaoke tracks which are widely available. We have used them before. Get them at Wal-mart or at pro-sing.com on the web. (For us they serve a dual purpose since daughter sings as well as skates...)

Terry

Isk8NYC
03-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I checked out the Karaoke sites and they are very good. I would buy one of the albums if there were enough usable songs on it. I'd rather get a single, however, if I was looking for one song in particular. Less expensive for my budget.

Thanks for the suggestion. I bookmarked the sites.

Isk8NYC
03-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Just finished the kids' music for their programs next week. Glad I had the albums in house already. Made it go faster.

luckeylasvegas
03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I picked up the soundtrack for Fosse at our libarary and it has a good instrumental of the Hot Honey Rag which is the song they dance to at the end of Chicago. I know it's not All That Jazz but I thought I would mention it.

sktngmom
03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Thank you to everyone who had suggestions for me. We ordered the movie soundtrack from the movie Chicago and used several cuts from that. Not "All that Jazz", but she likes it. "All that Jazz" turned out to be to difficult to find in an instrumental version, and we needed to get the music cut quickly.

Elsy2
03-15-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm glad that worked out for you! Good luck to your daughter with her new program :D