View Full Version : Adult Mids Schedule Posted

nja
02-15-2005, 01:06 PM
The Mids schedule has been posted on sk8stuff.com. No roster that I can see but the event times are listed. Am I reading this correctly in that there is no Mens Championship Masters event? As of last Saturday, I know of one Championship Masters man who is (was?) planning on being there.

coskater64
02-15-2005, 01:48 PM
The only Masters man was Larry Halliday, so he wins!
la

sk8er1964
02-15-2005, 02:32 PM
I noticed that too. Isn't it in the rules that you still have to skate, even if there are fewer than 4 entries?

coskater64
02-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know, but what would the point be? I think he was willing but he had no one to skate against. I would imagine they checked w/ the USfsa before cancelling the event.

la

phoenix
02-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I know that for standard track competitions (qualifiying), you don't have to skate unless there are at least 3 entries. You may choose to, but you don't have to.

nja
02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know when a list of competitors will be available?

jazzpants
02-15-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't know, but what would the point be?Exhibition??? :mrgreen:

sk8er1964
02-15-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't know, but what would the point be? I think he was willing but he had no one to skate against. I would imagine they checked w/ the USfsa before cancelling the event.

la

I agree. However, the announcement says this:

"FOUR OR FEWER ENTRIES When there are four or fewer competitors in an adult qualifying event, the skater shall be required to compete. See rule 3171. If, at the close of entries, there are fewer than four competitors registered for a qualifying event at a sectional adult championship, additional competitors from the same qualifying event in other sections shall be permitted to enter the U.S. Adult Championships in order to bring the number of competitors up to a maximum of 12 (or more if ties make it necessary). See rule 3172"

So, call me confused 8O . Anyone know what Rules 3171 and 3172 say? Hopefully it's just an error on the schedule, and he'll be skating at the end of the day.

coskater64
02-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, according to the rule, they'll just fill it up from the other sections. Because we only have one skater from our section that would mean three spots are available for others from different sections or, possibly the fifth and sixth place spots from Pacifics or Easterns. I mean are ya gonna make him skate against himself, there was no other entry, no Jay K, no other young guy, why should he be forced to fly down and skate for an event he has no one to compete against. This is that new fill up rule in action.

la

nja
02-15-2005, 05:46 PM
We see Larry every Saturday and as of last Saturday, he was planning on going. I just sent him an email asking what he was going to do. I understood things the same way that sk8er1964 did.....even if there is only one skater, they still have to make an appearance, if only to literally stand on the ice. I understand the fill-up rule, but I don't think that negates requiring the skaters in the unfilled section to skate. All in all, it really doesn't make sense to make him pay to travel all the way from Chicago for an exhibition.

jazzpants
02-15-2005, 11:44 PM
I mean are ya gonna make him skate against himself, there was no other entry, no Jay K... Yeap! Jay K is now a very happy homeowner! From what I've seen, he's not doing much of his own skating except for fun. He's still coaching students though. (Or he *was* still coaching as of last Thursday afternoon...he was nitpicking my Bronze moves!) :lol:

Doesn't Larry have other adult students? Isn't BlackSheep competing this year? (The economy is CRAP this past year, huh?) :cry:

manleywoman
02-16-2005, 09:34 AM
There are only 4 skaters for Masters Men in Easterns, so there will be no need to fill up from the East coast. Way to go Pacifics!

Where are all the Mids men this year?

nja
02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
To my knowledge, Larry only has one adult student who is competing right now (Black Sheep), and it is my understanding that she is not doing Mids, but is going to be at AN in Gold and Interp.

There were only 3 Masters Men who competed at Mids last year and only 2 the year before. Larry is the only skater in the last 3 years to make a repeat appearance. Mids has had a lot of Masters Ladies, but doesn't seem to get the same numbers in the Mens for some reason.

Looks like Championship Dance is down, too, this year. I didn't see the event even listed on the Easterns schedule and with the time slots alloted at Mids, it looks like only two or three maximum will be at Mids.

techskater
02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I believe the 4 or fewer rule applies ONLY if there are actually 2 or 3 skaters. There's no point in making him make the trip if he's the only one.

SkateGuard
02-19-2005, 02:03 PM
I think BlackSheep posted on another board that she is competing....I mean, she is a Champ Gold lady, so why not? Larry probably got the tickets, hotel, etc. before he found out that he was the only Masters Man, so he'd probably go anyway...darn those unrefundable airfares. However, considering is Champ level, my guess is that everything was okayed with the USFS.

Yes, Larry is really the only periennial Masters Man in the Midwest. However, there will probably be four Champ Gold Men at Mids...and I know a couple of them are working on Intermediate moves, so in a couple of years....

As for the schedule, it looks like there's only two people in Adult Interp I. I'm one and am friends with the other one. Or are there more? However, if it is just the two of us, it'll be lots of fun! :D

coskater64
02-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Are you masters or adult? I'm doing masters and I think there are only 2 of us.

:bow:

nja
02-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I spoke to Larry today and he is not going to Colorado. It was also from him last week that I heard that Black Sheep was going to scratch Mids. Too bad, but maybe she'll change her mind! He also had a Young Adult Man sign up, but there were no other competitors so the event was cancelled. He found out about a month ago that there would be no event at Mids, so he hadn't bought tickets. I guess I misunderstood his plans when we spoke last week. Anyway, the USFSA did ask if he wanted to do Easterns, but he decided to take the bye instead. We'll have to wait until AN to see him and Black Sheep skate.

SkateGuard
02-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Are you masters or adult? I'm doing masters and I think there are only 2 of us.

:bow:

Adult. I'm a bronze, Class I. So's the other one, and we have a fun, friendly rivalry (as in, as long as we enjoy the experience, who cares about medals?) Are you keeping your interp or doing a new one? Gosh, I loved yours last year...

I'm sorry to hear that BlackSheep has changed her mind again and withdrew.....she's been skating very well in the summer/fall competitions, and has a great fs program. And that Larry isn't coming. Well, at least he hadn't made his plans, then had to go through the rigamarole/expense of changing them. I'm doing it right now for work (what company shuts off the heat and power for _President's Day_?), and I'm flying standby, praying that I make one out of four flights....

Well, looking forward to KC, masters men, and that triple flip (which I hear is pretty consistent....)

coskater64
02-20-2005, 12:53 PM
No the Schwan retired @ Vail this summer. My new interp is an exercise in smilin' and speed.

What's yours?

I think you will be against my friend MK, she is also bronze I. Feed the birds?

la

nja
02-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Just to let you know the roster is now posted on sk8stuff.com. See everybody there next week!

SkateGuard
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
No the Schwan retired @ Vail this summer. My new interp is an exercise in smilin' and speed.

What's yours?

I think you will be against my friend MK, she is also bronze I. Feed the birds?

la

Mine is total against type. I'm the golden girl from Goldfinger. My goal is to woo two gold men (who are rather excited to see the program, lol).... ;)

Yes, Bronze I is me, someone who won mids in Bronze I last year, your friend, and three other ladies from Colorado. I hope, especially for the judges' sakes, that there isn't too much of a disparity in abilities.

Beccapoo2003
03-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone! I'm at Winter Park skiing this week! Lucky me ;) Good luck to everyone at Mids this weekend!:D :D :D
Hugs,
Becca

sk8er1964
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm almost finished packing, and I'm flying out tomorrow at 7:15 (shudder) a.m. ! Good luck to everyone competing - see ya there! :D

PattyP
03-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Good Luck to all Mids competitors!!! Have a great time!

PattyP