View Full Version : What's the last move you do before leaving the ice?

slusher
02-12-2005, 12:42 PM
We've never talked about it in my one club but there are little superstitions going on. One girl absolutely has to be the last one to leave the ice and will keep jumping until everyone else is gone (we know this now and get off first). Another one does a spin at centre ice before going off. Someone does a big waltz jump.

I do a spread eagle into an ina bauer.

What do you do?

vesperholly
02-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I do spirals and footwork into a lutz. That section is late in my program and I want to practice it when I'm tired.

TashaKat
02-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I never did any one thing. I used to just finish off what I was doing, if it was jumps I would do another jump, spins another spin and so on. I wasn't really superstitious when it came to skating.

jazzpants
02-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I do a final fast lap around the rink -- as fast as I can!!! This could be either just plain forward stroking, or alt. forward or backward crossovers. It's the only chance I get during a public session to have the ice long enough to practice that one move w/o worrying about crashing into someone else!!! :twisted:

Then when I'm done, I practice my stops from fast speed, so I get enough practice where my coaches won't gripe about why I can't do stops...and to learn to stop on a dime in case of emergencies... :halo:

kayskate
02-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Layback, not for any superstitious reason, but b/c it is my best move. I like to leave the ice on a positive note, even if I had a bad session. I have been doing this for probably 10+ yrs.

Kay

mikawendy
02-12-2005, 05:15 PM
RF flat spiral or RFI spiral--I make myself NOT practice these too often as they're some of my favorite things to do and other things need much more work. But I "reward" myself at the end by doing one right before I get off the ice.

nerd_on_ice
02-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Depends. If everything's gone well I'll do a couple laps of fast stroking to relax my brain after concentrating on my skating. If I've had a crummy practice where I feel like I couldn't accomplish anything, I'll do a spiral, because my spirals are good (though I say it myself) and it gives me something to be proud of.

PattyP
02-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I used to always do a split jump on my way off the ice, even carrying tissues, tapes etc. I don't know why, it just became a habit. I don't do them so much any more due to the increased crowds at my new rink and there are usually coaches & moms hanging out at the exit. I now sometimes finish a session with a back spin, as Kay said to end the session on a positive note.

iskatealot
02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
I always do either another of whatever jump I am working on or an axel if I wasnt working on jumps (in the off chance I mite land clean) if I spent the entire time devoted 2 jumps and Im ticked off Ill do a spiral....

singerskates
02-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I do a one footed show side stop and then step off of the ice. Before that, it's either a forward corkscrew or a waltz jump on my way off of the ice. LOL

Brigitte

You did say before we got off of the ice.

Blosmbubbs
02-13-2005, 02:09 AM
I skate over to the exit and do a stop. :)

samba
02-13-2005, 02:43 AM
I do a couple of laps backwards and forwards then I stagger off, trip on the rubber floor, get a coffee and chat with the mums.

Shinn-Reika
02-13-2005, 03:29 AM
In the last 15 minutes I bring on my Ipod, but only if there are none (or very small) amounts of people around. I always end with Ignited by T.M. Revolution, Pride by High and Mighty Color, or White Reflection by two mix.

angelskates
02-13-2005, 05:02 AM
I tap my right toe pick into the ice twice. The last thing I do before I get off, and the first thing I do when I get on. :roll: Weird, I know.

Skate@Delaware
02-13-2005, 06:48 AM
If the ice isn't too chewed up and I'm not too tired, I try a spin, then help shut the doors (I'm there so often I kind of help them out <g>).

If the ice is chewed up and I'm tired, I just stroke really, really nicely to the doors......

jenlyon60
02-13-2005, 07:55 AM
I frequently do power pulls across the rink to the doors.

Melzorina
02-13-2005, 08:08 AM
I just do one more of whatever I'm doing. As soon as I see "1.45" on the clock, I'm off!

Mind you I might aswell have stayed on till 2 yesterday because I missed my train :(

Petlover
02-13-2005, 09:13 AM
I do different stuff, but I make sure that whatever I do last is good, even if just a 3-turn. That way, no matter if the entire freestyle was good or bad, I am happy with myself whenever I step off the ice.

Hann
02-13-2005, 11:31 AM
it really does depends, i finish with spins, jumps, basic skating, crossover, backwards, bits from my programmes etc... It normally depends what type of session i have had and what i feel like. like today, i just finished with a 3 turn, yesterday i finished with a spin. but like i try to make the last move i do as good as i can, so i get off the ice happy.

Hann

luna_skater
02-13-2005, 02:21 PM
I usually do the same thing as soon as I get on the ice, and before I get off...powerfull forward and backward stroking, focusing on extension and deep edges. Power pulls forward and backward on each foot, and big, long, forward cross-rolls. It warms me up at the start of the session, and I like to be warm when I leave the ice so I can stretch out a bit. But the end of a session I'm usually beat and just working on steps in isolation, so I like to get the blood flowing again.

twokidsskatemom
02-13-2005, 03:53 PM
I usually do the same thing as soon as I get on the ice, and before I get off...powerfull forward and backward stroking, focusing on extension and deep edges. Power pulls forward and backward on each foot, and big, long, forward cross-rolls. It warms me up at the start of the session, and I like to be warm when I leave the ice so I can stretch out a bit. But the end of a session I'm usually beat and just working on steps in isolation, so I like to get the blood flowing again.

that is what my skaters coach has her do at the end of every session, at least 4 times around.great habit !!! :)

slusher
02-13-2005, 06:19 PM
but like i try to make the last move i do as good as i can, so i get off the ice happy.
Hann

yes, that's why I do the one thing that I can do consistently at the end every time. Even if I've had a rotten practice session with nothing working, at least I do something good and that's what I remember.

Chico
02-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Me too, I always try to end on a positive note. In fact, I make it a rule to finish spins, jumps or footwork on a positive note. I try to do a few fast laps of stroking too.

NoVa Sk8r
02-13-2005, 11:57 PM
I almost always do a lutz, a flying camel, or a flip before leaving the ice. Of course, I'm usually carrying my jacket, gloves, and water bottle by then, so I just pretend these are my props. Hmm ... good practice for an interp number.

A few years ago, I would stretch by the boards for a few minutes before the skate guards chased me off. I attribute part of my flexibility to this.

alhrayth
02-14-2005, 04:57 AM
I always finish with a fast lap around the rink, just like jazzpants. If I'm at my dance club classes, it's because that's what the coaches have us do, every time. If I'm on a public session, because that's an habit, and I also enjoy going fast without having to worry TOO MUCH about other people - if they're no there!

Figureskates
02-14-2005, 03:46 PM
:lol: I thank my lucky stars that I didn't break anything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

icedancer2
02-14-2005, 08:00 PM
I thank my coach and my beloved skating friends for allowing me amongst them!!

And say good-bye 'til next time! (Very soon, I hope... :) )

Isk8NYC
02-15-2005, 02:27 PM
On a General session, I used to always do a lutz after the people cleared off, since it goes against "Traffic." On a freestyle, it's usually a back spin.

Terri C
02-15-2005, 06:18 PM
The last few minutes of a session, I will work on whatever is bugging me in my programs. Lately,it's been the sit and backscratch spins :frus: !!

NCSkater02
02-15-2005, 07:06 PM
:lol: I thank my lucky stars that I didn't break anything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey!! That's what I did before I got off the ice last time...Not thank my lucky stars, but break something.

However, if I'm in a lesson, we work until they throw us off the ice. If I'm by myself, I usually do a few cool-down laps, working down in speed and intensity.

Now, I just look forward to the day I can get back on the ice. Since I'm only three weeks out, I have at least five more to go. :roll:

sue123
02-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey!! That's what I did before I got off the ice last time...Not thank my lucky stars, but break something.

However, if I'm in a lesson, we work until they throw us off the ice. If I'm by myself, I usually do a few cool-down laps, working down in speed and intensity.

Now, I just look forward to the day I can get back on the ice. Since I'm only three weeks out, I have at least five more to go. :roll:

every monday, i come back to school, and all my profs ask me if i went skating that weekend. if i said yes, they'd ask if i got another concussion or broke something or if all my body parts are in fine working order. you hurt yourself once or twice, and all of a sudden, it's a daily occurence. one of my profs asked if i fell, and i said yes. he says, isn't the point to stay upright? so the last thingg i do is make sure i'm still standing.

The Ice Demon
02-16-2005, 02:39 AM
Great thread

I always speed up and do my favourite sequence... a BI hydroblade into split-split-flip and sometimes add a sit spin. If I'm really exhausted (I always spend my last 10 min going hard out and enjoying myself) I just do a hydroblade by itself - my signature move - i can do almost any jump from this entry.

Elsy2
02-16-2005, 06:43 AM
I do a one footed show side stop and then step off of the ice. Before that, it's either a forward corkscrew or a waltz jump on my way off of the ice. LOL

Brigitte

You did say before we got off of the ice.

Singerskates, I've been wondering what a forward corkscrew is. Can you describe it? I've never heard of it before :??

I'm like Samba and tend to stagger off, lol!.....but if I have the energy and the ice is clear enough I like to do a back spiral. It's my favorite move but I'm only skating public sessions these days and don't get to practice them.

singerskates
02-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Singerskates, I've been wondering what a forward corkscrew is. Can you describe it? I've never heard of it before :??

A corkscrew is what you and the rest of the world call a scratchspin. In Canada scratchspins are corkscrews. No mistery. It's like those famous 3 jumps I was always hearing about on here. For some countries they are what we call waltz jumps here in Canada for others it's what they are here, a jumped three turn. My coach keeps calling toe loops cherryflips. When I first heard him call them that, I thought he was nuts. LOL

NoVa Sk8r
02-16-2005, 12:59 PM
It's like those famous 3 jumps I was always hearing about on here. For some countries they are what we call waltz jumps here in Canada for others it's what they are here, a jumped three turn.There is a difference between a 3-jump and a waltz jump. While both have the take-off from the LFO edge (for the CCW jumper), the waltz jump involves shifting weight from the left side to the right side with the landing on the RBO edge. The 3-jump does not involve a shift in the air, and has the landing on the LBI edge. At least that's what I've been taught. I like to do the 3-jump (which as you can see is a 3-turn in the air) as part of choreography.

singerskates
02-16-2005, 01:22 PM
You can do 3 jumps from LFO, LFI, RFO and RFI, not just a they way you do a waltz jump but land on your take off foot. Like I said to me a 3 jump is now a jumped 3 turn in which the turn happens in the air instead of on the ice.

Mrs Redboots
02-16-2005, 01:43 PM
There is a difference between a 3-jump and a waltz jump.Not in the UK, where a waltz jump is called a 3-jump, and, indeed, a toe loop is called a cherry flip. And a camel spin is a parallel spin, and a lunge is a drag, and a shoot-the-duck is a teapot, and.....

Melzorina
02-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Not in the UK, where a waltz jump is called a 3-jump, and, indeed, a toe loop is called a cherry flip. And a camel spin is a parallel spin, and a lunge is a drag, and a shoot-the-duck is a teapot, and.....

Am I having deja vu?

NoVa Sk8r
02-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Not in the UK, where a waltz jump is called a 3-jump, and, indeed, a toe loop is called a cherry flip. And a camel spin is a parallel spin, and a lunge is a drag, and a shoot-the-duck is a teapot, and.....Of course, each country/region has their own semantics. I was just pointing out that there exist these 2 separate entities, regardless of what you call them. (On a slightly different note, I simply hate when people refer to spirals as arabesques. I get the ballet connection, but ugh.)

Elsy2
02-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the explanation on the Corkscrew...I've never heard that before!

Thin-Ice
02-17-2005, 03:31 AM
In the US there is also a spin called the corkscrew. It's actually a variation on a scratch spin. If you spin counterclockwise, your left arm crosses in front of your body at about the level of your navel, your right arm crosses in back at about the same level and both arms are 4-6 inches from touching your body, while your skating knee is partially bent. Your free-leg is also bent so it looks like your lower body is making the number "4". (Looking at that number, right leg would be the full stroke downward, left leg would be the cross and diagonal lines.) When done at-speed, it looks like the skater's arms are actually connected at the elbows and the skater is drilling down into the ice. It's pretty cool and not hard to learn as soon as the scratch feels good.

flo
02-17-2005, 09:46 AM
I bow :bow:

Thin-Ice
02-18-2005, 03:09 AM
Hey Flo...

Why the "bow"? Of course you're such a lovely skater you should get applause every time you skate!

kayskate
02-18-2005, 07:09 AM
I had a coach who called a corkscrew a forward upright spin in which the skater holds the free leg. Free leg is bent as in the beginning of the spin with the thigh and calf parallel to the ice. Cohen does something like this. She actually pulls it in and blurs it. I have done a corkscrew (according to previous definition) for yrs. Tried to pull it in, very difficult!

Kay

flo
02-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Hi Thin,
Thanks! I bow at the end of a practice session because it's something I started in pairs and with my coach. I, or we in pairs always thank him at the end of a lesson, and he us. With pairs we acknowledge eachother and then audience. The little kids also always say thanks to our coach and give a quick bow.
It's great practice, and also reminds us that there's always an audience watching. At one of our first trips to nationals we were a little surprised to receive applause at a practice session. So now when we get to the practices at nationals or other events, it feels natural to thank the audience at practices, and at the event.

I also teach the tots to thank the audience for watching (we start with a quick wave) before they leave the ice. It helps them begin to feel a connection with the audience and more comfortable with applause.

Thin-Ice
02-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Wow.. that's such a cool idea! And it really does make you think about the audience from the very first stages of skating! I'm going to pass that on to one of our adults who is just starting to compete. :)

Shinn-Reika
05-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Great thread

I always speed up and do my favourite sequence... a BI hydroblade into split-split-flip and sometimes add a sit spin. If I'm really exhausted (I always spend my last 10 min going hard out and enjoying myself) I just do a hydroblade by itself - my signature move - i can do almost any jump from this entry.
How do you enter a jump from a hydroblade?

Kristin
05-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Before leaving the ice, I like doing a back outside-edge hydroblade and getting my body down to the ice as close as possible! :)

Isk8NYC
05-10-2005, 08:07 PM
... a toe loop is called a cherry flip ...

I love the differences - it's like reading Harry Potter in the original English!

The USFS/ISI handbooks all called the jump a toe loop, so I stopped using the cherry flip phrase, even though that's what my coach called it when she taught it to me.

What I call "toe taps" everyone else calls "side hops." (It's a toe to the side, no rotation jump.)

tripletoesrule
05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
i'll normally do a double loop at the end of the session just like a small one... whether im holding tapes, tissues, sweater, etc. or not. quite amusing especially the times when i fall. haha

normally before the d loop ill stroke around etc. present myself and sometimes curtsey.

Mrs Redboots
05-11-2005, 05:48 AM
What I call "toe taps" everyone else calls "side hops." (It's a toe to the side, no rotation jump.)Yeah, that's a toe tap!

One of my coach's pupils is a young Frenchwoman who is here to learn English as well as to skate - she is going back at the end of May (I'm hoping she'll at least visit us at the Mountain Cup, although she has no plans to skate there). Anyway, today she was working on back progressive runs with our coach, and asked him what this move was called in English - whereupon he spent about 5 minutes explaining what the Americans call them, what the British call them, what else they were known as....... finally, we settled on "runs", since that is the nearest equivalent of the French "courus".

momskates
05-11-2005, 09:35 AM
By the end of the session, I am usually working on double toe or double flip, so I try to get one last good one done before I get off. If I can't do a good one, I will do a big axel or double salchow; it helps boost my confidence!