View Full Version : My *!$#@*% Left Foot :(

dbny
02-11-2005, 07:44 PM
For the past several months I've been feeling increasing pressure on the inside of my left foot while skating. The pressure is from the arch up to the ankle, and I've been having a hard time holding LFO edges. For the past two weeks, my left foot has been in pain whenever I've been on the ice for an hour, which is every day. I also looked at my feet when barefoot, and noticed that the left is considerably more pronated than the right. Today I went to Klingbeils to see what they could do for me. Don took a look, worked on the boots, went back and worked some more, and they seemed OK. He raised the L on the inside under the sole, and moved the blade a tiny bit. I skated right after. At first, it did seem better, but as soon as I tried to hold a LFO edge for an entire lobe, I fell to the inside, and was in pain yet again after an hour.

There is definitely something wrong with my left foot. I'm going to find a podiatrist and try to get an appointment this week. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

sk8er1964
02-11-2005, 08:04 PM
In my old boots (Klingbeils), which were largely broken down, I was having a lot of problems with my left boot in particular. My left hamstring got very tight, as did my left hip flexor. My left arch seems to be flatter than my right. This had been going on since November. I have been working a lot on double sals and axels, both left foot take offs. With my new boots (three weeks ago), things have been getting better, but slowly (and I have had some arch achiness on that foot, as well as tightness on the left side - but less than before). Maybe it will just take some time for Klingbeils' fixes to take effect. I wouldn't be too over concerned, unless it causes you to be unable to skate, or becomes progressively worse. Rest, and heat/stretching/ice might help too.

coskater64
02-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Do you have any swelling? I go to an athletic trainer when I get ankle swelling and get ultrasound and light soft tissue message. I have similar pain only on my right outer ankle and my boots are new too. I take a lot of pressure from my landings and flying spins on that right leg and the boots are triple strength so since the boot doesn't give....

la

Hann
02-13-2005, 01:05 PM
My right ankle has started to hurt these last few weeks, but i have taken like the last few weeks easy, because i fell while jumping and hurt my knee. so i have just been working on my spins. Also it could be because i've gone back to my first pair of freestyle skates, which are very worn down, im not getting the same support anymore. i broke my newish pair, in my private lesson with my coach, while jumping, and the blade kinda half fell off, so i landed me jump really funnily and fell, which hurt me knee. i told my coach today (about my ankle) and she just said that i should just rest it and take it easy again....

anyway, you didnt really want to know all that.. Maybe you just need to give it time for the Klingbeils' fixes to start helping. i wouldn't start to get to worried about it, unless it kinda stops you skating or get worse.. maybe just keep resting it and give it time to get used to the new boot will help too.

i hope it gets better for you soon.

Hann

skateflo
02-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Sounds like this has been building up for quite awhile.....and the fact that you have now noticed a fallen arch in your left foot (which can really throw all the small intergrated dynamics into whack) I think you are very wise to see a professional. Remember too that it might be related to something other than your feet - like a raised hip, and many other very basic skating positions that can shift over time for which you were compensating without knowing it.

What a bummer! Question - what kind of shoes do you wear off ice?

Do let us know what the podiatrist has to say!

dbny
02-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Sounds like this has been building up for quite awhile.....and the fact that you have now noticed a fallen arch in your left foot (which can really throw all the small intergrated dynamics into whack) I think you are very wise to see a professional. Remember too that it might be related to something other than your feet - like a raised hip, and many other very basic skating positions that can shift over time for which you were compensating without knowing it.

What a bummer! Question - what kind of shoes do you wear off ice?

Do let us know what the podiatrist has to say!

It's interesting that you suggest it may be related to other things than my feet, because Don asked me right away if one leg is shorter than the other. Not to my knowledge.

I've been wearing the same pair of worn out sneakers for a long time, and this problem prompted me on Friday to switch to a new pair of Ryka walking shoes that I bought a few months ago. I wear boots all winter, and Birkenstocks all spring and summer. The boots don't have much support, so maybe that hasn't helped.

My foot has actually been feeling a little better since Saturday morning. I'll know more when I skate a freestyle session and have my lesson tomorrow.

skateflo
02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
I raise the issue about your hip because after checking out all other avenues as to why I was having such trouble with an outside edge, I finally when to a chiropractor and said "look at all of me!" An x-ray confirmed that my right hip had actually raised up, also putting a slight curve into my spinal column. Theory is that stress and physical movement can actually raise your dominant side (like you are trying to fend off something scary.) So one leg was not shorter than the other, just that the hip had risen up. It truly was amazing that after several months of adjustments, the hip came down, and my outside edge returned.

Shoes also play a significant role - I learned that after months of knee distress after fractured patella. I finally got smart and got a new pair of Sacony shoes for work and for home, had soft arch supports put in them, and the stress and discomfort on the inside of my knee due to pronating, rapidly resolved. I had a 'duh' moment when I realized that skating with an orthotic in my boot made my knee actually feel better.

Finally, I have come to realize that I am sometimes rather sloppy in not getting my leg closer to the midline to set the outside edge - one side is so natural and easy, the other side I still have to consciously work at, plus not allowing my knee to fall inward - think power 3 turns. Many years ago, at an AN workshop in Lake Placid, Judy Blumberg immediately pointed out that my knee was not over my second toe in just a basic bend.

I guess I have learned that sometimes you have to go back to the basics instead of looking for the bizarre or equipment, etc.

Again, keep us posted - we all can learn from each other's trials and tribulations!!

HelenC
02-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi DBNY,
It's HelenC. I met you skating at Prospect Park a few weeks ago. I had a lot of foot pain after I broke my ankle and tore the ligaments some years ago. The podiatrist told me that I was pronating to the inside, and that I should get arch supports (from the drug store- the 3/4 length ones that don't take up space) and get shoes or sneakers with more support. That helped a lot. Now I still use arch supports in my shoes, sneakers, and skates. It's also been helping with my knee alignment and reduces stress on my knees. I hope you feel better soon!

dbny
02-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi DBNY,
It's HelenC. I met you skating at Prospect Park a few weeks ago. I had a lot of foot pain after I broke my ankle and tore the ligaments some years ago. The podiatrist told me that I was pronating to the inside, and that I should get arch supports (from the drug store- the 3/4 length ones that don't take up space) and get shoes or sneakers with more support. That helped a lot. Now I still use arch supports in my shoes, sneakers, and skates. It's also been helping with my knee alignment and reduces stress on my knees. I hope you feel better soon!

Hi Helen! I remember you. Thanks for the advice. I've been considering arch supports also, but still want to try to get to a podiatrist before doing anything else. I'm shooting for next week when school is out and I won't be running around to three different rinks.

Update after my lesson:

I am still falling to the inside, but less so, and no longer in pain from it. I asked coach to watch FO edges for anything that I might be doing wrong on L, but they were fine. She suggested I go back to Klingbeil and ask for more of the same adjustments they already made. Will wait until after podiatrist visit.

Mrs Redboots
02-16-2005, 06:04 AM
It's HelenC. !If you are who I think you are, Hi!!!!! How are you?

HelenC
02-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Mrs. Redboots,
Yes, we know each other from the Mountain Cup! I'm sorry I won't be able to compete in Europe this year due to work and my 4 year old. I hope you will tell us all about it. The NY Classic/Eastern Sectionals is at our home rink this weekend, so it's very exciting. Take care, and I hope to see you soon. HelenC

Mrs Redboots
02-16-2005, 01:34 PM
You'll see me at your Adult Nationals if you're going to be there... no chance to visit New York this trip, I'm afraid, though. Pity you won't be at the Mountain Cup - I loved your Interpretive last year.

HelenC
02-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Mrs. Redboots. Sorry I can't go to Nationals. It's great that you could attend. Let me know if you ever visit NY. Good luck with your competitions this year. I've always enjoyed your interps!

Mrs Redboots
02-19-2005, 03:58 AM
Thanks. I'm sure we'll get back to New York one of these years - and I hope you'll get back to the Mountain Cup one of these years, too!

dbny
03-04-2005, 06:28 PM
My foot still acts up after about two hours, but I'm managing LFO threes until then. Meanwhile, one of my adult students was a dancer and told me she has a good podiatrist (after having tried quite a few). Happily, this doctor is conveniently located and takes my insurance ..... so I have an appointment for next Friday!