View Full Version : MK Pro/Coronation Ace: basically the same blade?

nerd_on_ice
02-10-2005, 06:51 PM
2 or 3 minutes have gone by without a "boots" or "blades" thread...thought I should step into the gap. :lol:

I am replacing my ill-fitting Riedell 292s (the discontinued Gold Medallion model--they have Wilson Excel blades) with custom Klingbeils. [Squee!]

I have not yet tested Pre-Bronze, though I plan to once the new skates are broken in; I am by no means an aggressive skater and don't want "too much blade."

I've been looking at the MK Pro and Coronation Ace and all the specs seem to be the same: 7' rocker, 7/16" ROH, cross-cut toepick. Can anyone give me input on one versus the other, or your experience with either of the two? I also looked at the Four Aces, which is the same as the other two except with a straight-cut toepick.

Tomorrow I'll see my coach and ask her about this as well but I wanted to get some thoughts from all the skaters inside my computer. Thanks!

mikawendy
02-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I've been looking at the MK Pro and Coronation Ace and all the specs seem to be the same: 7' rocker, 7/16" ROH, cross-cut toepick. Can anyone give me input on one versus the other, or your experience with either of the two?

When I bought new boots and blades 1 1/2 years ago, I was deciding between those two blades. My skate pro explained that they're very similar. One had a _slightly_ (only very slightly) shorter tail. There was only a price difference of about $10. He stressed that both were very good blades for the level that I was skating at. I had originally thought I would go with Ace but chose the Pro instead. I really like the blades (they were a vast improvement over the Wilson Excel blades that came with my first pair of ill-fitting skates). I think I've had about 5 or 6 sharpenings on them, and there's still some life left in them. I had to get used to the bigger toepick at first, but that was mostly because my old blades had smaller picks.

When I got the Pro blades, I was just starting to work on salchow and had toe loop. I did a lot of edgework and MIF on them in the start and have been working more on jumps lately than I did then. Right now I'm working on loop, flip, and loop loop.

fadedstardust
02-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Mika- If you've had 5-6 sharpenings on them, they are pretty much brand new. If you sharpen your skates once a month, they can last up to two years while still having plenty of life to them. :)

Meanwhile, I had MK Pro when I was learning doubles, and they were fine, although I welcomed the flatter rocker of the Pattern 99's when I switched. I know nothing about the Coronations but as a general rule, I find that people prefer John Wilson (Coronation) to MK (Professionals). Don't know why, but it appears that way. Four Aces are a much lower level blade than either of these, though. I think you'll enjoy whichever one you pick, it doesn't matter. Maybe as a tiebreaker, you could look at what blade you'd like to upgrade to once you have outgrown these, and what brand they are, and pick whichever brand it is for these blades as well- it's always reassuring to stay within the same brands when doing equipment shopping- so if someday you want Phantoms/Gold Stars, get the MKs and if you want Pattern 99/Gold Seals, get John Wilson.

Casey
02-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Four Aces are a much lower level blade than either of these, though.
Eh, that's not accurate. Four Aces and Coronation Ace blades are IDENTICAL except that Four Aces has a straight-cut toepick and Coronation Aces have a crosscut toepick.

sk8pics
02-11-2005, 06:10 AM
My coach picked the MK Pro blade for me a few years ago when I got my first pair of good skates. I know a lot of people who use this blade and like it, so I wouldn't say around here that people "generally" prefer one blade to the other. I loved it when I first got it because suddenly I had toepicks that I could actually use for something! Right now I'm on my second set of blades and still love them.

Pat

Kelli
02-11-2005, 11:33 AM
I needed to replace my Coronation Aces about 3 weeks before a test session a few years ago (nothing left to sharpen on the Aces), and the fitter, who came highly recommended, said the two blades were basically equivalent. The biggest differences he pointed out were the price - MK Pro is a bit cheaper - and availablity - they only had the MK Pro in stock. I didn't really notice a difference when I switched beyond what you'd normally notice when switching from a totally worn down blade.

Oh, and I passed the tests I was taking - prepre moves and free and prelim moves, and still have the same blades 3 years later that will soon take me through novice moves and juvie free. :D The blade may be slightly more than you need at pre-bronze, but it will last a long time.

fadedstardust
02-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Eh, that's not accurate. Four Aces and Coronation Ace blades are IDENTICAL except that Four Aces has a straight-cut toepick and Coronation Aces have a crosscut toepick.

Isn't it also a bit smaller of a toepick than Coronation? I remember looking at them at the shop once while I was waiting for a sharpening and they really looked like beginner blades. I don't know anyone past single jumps who's worn them.

Casey
02-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Isn't it also a bit smaller of a toepick than Coronation? I remember looking at them at the shop once while I was waiting for a sharpening and they really looked like beginner blades. I don't know anyone past single jumps who's worn them.

From John Wilson's website describing the Four Aces: "A high quality mid-range blade similar to the Coronation Ace but with the subtle difference of straight cut teeth."

...so maybe I was a bit off when I said "identical" as they say "similar" - who knows. My roommate has Four Aces on his SP Teris, and though I haven't seen him do any doubles he claims he was able to do a few years ago, I have seen him do an axle, and pull off some nice spins. To his credit, I've only managed to drag him to the rink twice - he says he doesn't enjoy skating anymore.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2005, 03:29 AM
My coach recommends people upgrade from Coronation Ace the next time they need new blades once they've begun to learn doubles. I think he recommends Phantoms after that.

I went into Coronation Aces after six months on beginner blades, and wished I'd upgraded three months earlier! That pair are still going strong - as they were on my first pair of boots, they were far too big for me, and my husband inherited them when he got rid of his beginner blades (one of which, incidentally, featured in my infamous Jake the Peg routine, for those who saw that). My Team Precision (very similar to Coronation Dance) are still being worn, but I do know they are on their last legs. I am going to get some new ones in a few weeks.

nerd_on_ice
02-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks to everybody for your input! I got to go "visit" and try on my Klingbeils today--cannot WAIT to skate in them!

I asked my coach about choosing blades and she said she thought my fitter (who is also her fitter) could be trusted not to put me in too much blade, and I should follow his recommendation. He recommended Ultima Protégé, so that's what I've ordered. He said they're comparable to MK Pro/Coronation Ace but (speaking my language here) they're less expensive.

I don't know anything about Ultima blades, so I'm a tiny bit nervous; I hope I will like them. The boots are such an obvious improvement over my current ones that I could probably rubber-band some steak knives onto the bottom and still skate better! :lol:

Elsy2
02-13-2005, 06:49 AM
I love my Ultimas, but a word of caution for you. It took me a good week or more to adjust to them because if the difference in rocker. Don't let it discourage you if you have trouble at first. Give them a chance and just take it slow.
After two weeks I was completely adjusted.

You may not have any trouble, but don't be discouraged if you do.

nerd_on_ice
02-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Elsy2, thanks for the tip (and for the vote of confidence on Ultimas). I was wondering how long an adjustment period I could expect.

Elsy2
02-13-2005, 09:45 PM
I hope you adjust quickly. I was freaking out at first because every turn and even crossovers were a challenge. Everything! But my first spin flew so fast I was amazed. So I knew there was hope.

What I love about them is that strokes glide with ease. They just seem so much faster than my Aces. Plus my sharpening hold longer. The toepicks are higher it seems and don't get in my way. The tails are longer and that means more stability for me. They just were just what I needed. Yep, I do love 'em..........

NCSkater02
02-15-2005, 07:16 PM
I've had Ultimas for nearly two years. The Mirages came stock on my Jackson boots, and I've not had any problems with them. (except for the edge I fell off and broke my ankle on)