View Full Version : i found my gloves!

sue123
02-08-2005, 05:54 PM
So i am super excited now because i found my gloves that i thought i lost. i came home for the night, and i put on a hoodie i had in my closet, and i felt something in the pockets. lo and behold, they were my gloves that had been missing for 2 months! so now, when i go skate on friday (i managed to shift some stuff around) i can wear my old gloves and remember when.

mikawendy
02-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I found my missing gloves and hat this week, too. I had only been missing them since Saturday, but I was dismayed when I thought they were missing because they're my favorite gloves for skating and my*only* hat that is not too dorky to wear at the rink! (I had another, but it's falling apart and I have yet to knit or buy a replacement.)

flippet
02-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Sigh......I mean, yay for you, but this thread just reminded me of the favorite gloves I 'lost' at AN a couple of years ago (elbow-length striped stretchy-gloves)....I was spectating, and set them down on the bench in front of me...and a few minutes later, they were gone. :evil: :evil: :evil: I'd still like to smack whoever stole them right upside the head.:evil: :evil: :evil:

Casey
02-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Somebody stole my gloves recently too. And I know who it was because we were the last two at the rink, and I left first. The next day they weren't in the lost-and-found, and I left them on a table near her. No proof though, but she doesn't like me, so she probably put them in garbage just to spite me. Oh well, the old ones were leather winter gloves, a bit too bulky. So I went and bought a $10 pair at the grocery store, and they started dispersing little pieces of material the second they touched the ice. I think I left them at the rink yesterday, because they're gone now, but I don't care. I'm off to the store in the morning to find a proper pair.

sue123
02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Somebody stole my gloves recently too. And I know who it was because we were the last two at the rink, and I left first. The next day they weren't in the lost-and-found, and I left them on a table near her. No proof though, but she doesn't like me, so she probably put them in garbage just to spite me. Oh well, the old ones were leather winter gloves, a bit too bulky. So I went and bought a $10 pair at the grocery store, and they started dispersing little pieces of material the second they touched the ice. I think I left them at the rink yesterday, because they're gone now, but I don't care. I'm off to the store in the morning to find a proper pair.

that's why i get my gloves from a dollar store. that's the best kind there are. if they get lost or rip, who cares? but it still feels nice to find them once you lose them. i don't think i'd ever spend $10 for a pair of skating gloves, personally.

Casey
02-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Well, the $10 was a rip-off for the cheap gloves I got (that were worth about $2), but that's what I get for buying gloves in a desperate moment at the grocery store. Maybe they were only $5 and I'm remembering wrong - in any case - too much.

However!! Today I spent $11 on a pair of Wilson baseball gloves - thin soft suede on the palm, and a rubberized material on the top...elastic in just the right places, and a velcro clasp. I took them skating...they are GREAT!!! I highly highly recommend them!!

flo
02-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Love the glove stories. They are a staple of skaters!
I also usually get my gloves at Target or Walmart sales. For Christmas my coach gave me a pretty pair of gloves. A few (cold) days later I was wearing them while recruitng for a study. In one of the many shelters or community centers I visited I met a very sweet elderly lady. She didn't qualify for any of our studies, but we spoke of where to go to for different services. She said what she needed was a pair of warm gloves. So...
I still have'nt told my coach yet, and am hoping to find a pair to replace them with before she notices I'm not wearing them. :roll:

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2005, 02:53 AM
I have two pairs of gloves in my skating bag - a pair of "magic gloves" (don't we all have those?) with multi-coloured fingers, which is what I usually wear, plus a rather elderly pair of gloves with a Thinsulate lining (I do need a new pair of these, as the lining has become torn) for very cold days! Half the time I'm squawking because I can't find my gloves, as I've put them in the wrong bag, or they've fallen into the shadows under the bench, or.... and until I got my act together in the early part of the season, they tended to end up in my coat pocket!

Husband has a pair of maroon knitted gloves I got my mother to make for him (she knits better gloves than I do, although she denies this, but it is the one thing she does knit better than me), and although he didn't think he wanted gloves, I notices he wears them more often than not! He lost them once, but luckily they turned up in Lost Property a couple of days later!

techskater
02-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Flo, that is one of the most generous things I've heard recently. If I were your coach, I would be PROUD of you for offering the lady something she really needed.

flo
02-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks! It's amazing how something so small can make a difference to someone. Our rink matches up all the gloves and such in lost and found and donates them to a local charity group. I think I'm going to contact the other area rinks and see if I can pick up their stuff and give it out.
Thanks again

Casey
02-17-2005, 09:25 PM
WOO HOO!

I went to the rink today, and the girl at the desk hands me my lost pair of leather fleece-lined gloves that I thought the woman skater who doesn't like me stole. Apparently they finally showed up in the lost and found and they remembered I had been looking for them.

I like the baseball gloves better because they're thinner and plenty warm, but I'm glad to have the others back because they seem more durable as they're thicker, and if I end up sliding across the ice with weight on them (i.e. when a shoot-the-duck attempt starts turning and I don't feel like just sitting down onto the ice), I'm much more comfortable doing so with the thicker gloves. So, both pairs will stay in my skate bag.

Mrs Redboots
02-18-2005, 03:42 AM
Guess what - I lost my gloves! Not that it matters - at this time of year I always have a pair in my anorak pocket anyway, and they were only cheap ones. All the same, it's irritating.