LWalsh
02-08-2005, 01:02 PM
I'll be there! Silver Ladies I FS

manleywoman
02-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Championship Masters Ladies.

Figureskates
02-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I may definitely try to attend....as a spectator.

TimDavidSkate
02-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Competitor Roster (http://www.thescny.org/pdf/WCSkaters.pdf)

NaomiBeth1
02-15-2005, 08:46 AM
I'll be there! Silver Ladies I FS

Hi Lara...I think we've met before at Chelsea & Winter Classic!

I will likely be also skating at Silver Ladies I. SCNY messed up (no surprise)! They cashed my check in December but left me off the list. Hopefully they'll be clearing up their error and squeezing me in (to the already large group!)

Look forward to seeing you again!

-Naomi

LWalsh
02-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Naomi,

Yes...glad to hear you'll be there. Nice to see so many entries. This is my last year in age group I (not sure if I am happy or sad about that!). I kind of like that our event is early so I can relax and watch everyone for the rest of the day.

Lara

Figureskates
02-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately, work has a life of it's own, mainly mine so I can't make it.

It is nice to see a few from my home club participating as well as a couple from the Lake Placid August Adult Week contingent. Best of luck guys.

starskate6.0
02-16-2005, 10:20 AM
8 in my event, the battle is on...should be a real good show :mrgreen:

TimDavidSkate
02-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Yep it should be. I already know who will qualify for Nationals, and who's staying :roll: :D 8O :twisted:

NoVa Sk8r
02-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Yep it should be. I already know who will qualify for Nationals, and who's staying :roll: :D 8O :twisted:Not for anything, but I think your comment is in incredibly poor taste, if not out of line. Let's wait and see where the chips may fall before disparaging any of the gold men, who have worked hard, no doubt, all season, and probably would not appreciate this lack of caliber and couth. Let the judges decide, eh?

manleywoman
02-16-2005, 06:16 PM
TimDavid: never forget the phrase "the ice is slippery." You never know how anyone is going to do on a given day. I've beaten people I never expected to beat, and have been beaten. So I would say that's there's never a guarantee to who is going to qualify.

daisies
02-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Yep it should be. I already know who will qualify for Nationals, and who's staying :roll: :D 8O :twisted:
What exactly does this mean?

TimDavidSkate
02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
It is just like everybody when they guess who they think would win before an event. Haven't we all played that game, just look on FSUniverse. At least I did not post what I thought.

Let me rephrase my opinion, I think I have an idea who is going.

TimDavidSkate
02-16-2005, 08:49 PM
TimDavid: never forget the phrase "the ice is slippery." You never know how anyone is going to do on a given day. I've beaten people I never expected to beat, and have been beaten. So I would say that's there's never a guarantee to who is going to qualify.

I totally agree with you.

TimDavidSkate
02-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Not for anything, but I think your comment is in incredibly poor taste, if not out of line. Let's wait and see where the chips may fall before disparaging any of the gold men, who have worked hard, no doubt, all season, and probably would not appreciate this lack of caliber and couth. Let the judges decide, eh?

Just relax stephen... 8-) I mean no harm..

jazzpants
02-16-2005, 09:25 PM
TimDavid: never forget the phrase "the ice is slippery." You never know how anyone is going to do on a given day. I've beaten people I never expected to beat, and have been beaten. So I would say that's there's never a guarantee to who is going to qualify.As far as I'm concerned the only guarantee who's qualifies for Nationals is if there's 4 or less competitors in each of the qualifying rounds!!! :twisted:

Tim David: I will not be at this competition...or any of the adult competition this year (well, maybe except for Peach Classic :twisted: ), but I really don't care who wins or loses or what their placements are. As far as I'm concerned, they're ALL WINNERS b/c they have worked hard to skate at the level they're competing at and I would cheer for all of them if I was there.

Be happy that you're still healthy and wealthy enough to still skate... I sure am! :)

Stormy
02-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Be happy that you're still healthy and wealthy enough to still skate... I sure am! :)

I am as well! This is the first year in a few years that I won't be at Sectionals. I'm wishing a great skate and good luck to everyone going. :bow:

mskater
02-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Awe Stormy, I thought you were going:( Are you planning on next year? My intentions are to go then...

Stormy
02-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I was going to, but it's right in the middle of some synchro competitions and since you and vesperholly weren't going, and I don't have to qualify for Nats, I decided not to go. It would have been more time off from work. :( Next year will be a definite YES since I will be doing Championship Gold (if all goes well). And yes, you'd BEST be going next year! :)

vesperholly
02-17-2005, 12:36 PM
:halo: I'm planning on Adult Nationals next year!!! Not sure about Sectionals.

Good luck everyone!

phillyskater
02-17-2005, 02:58 PM
I'll be there in the audience cheering you all on!! (But unfortunately not skating this year :cry: )

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

And go get 'em Starskate...I'll be hollering for you!! ;)

philly

jazzpants
02-17-2005, 05:28 PM
I'll be cheering you guys on from back here from the "AH-NOLD" state!!! Go terminate... ummm... go skate 'em!!!! :mrgreen:

I hope to see some of you guys next year at AN. (If the skate Gods are smiling on me, I pass Bronze moves and FS AND still keep a job long enough to save enough money for next year's AN, I'll be there!)

Petlover
02-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Best of luck to all - SKATE GREAT!!!!!

NoVa Sk8r
02-17-2005, 06:09 PM
I hope to see some of you guys next year at AN. (If the skate Gods are smiling on me, I pass Bronze moves and FS AND still keep a job long enough to save enough money for next year's AN, I'll be there!)Oh, that would be excellent. The eville projects conspired by the Other Woman and me will no doubt require extra hands to carry out, and you're at the top of my list! :P (Dallas in 2006, baby!--it's Dallas, right :?: )

mskater
02-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Good luck at Nationals Stormy! Hi Vesper:]

Good luck to all!

jazzpants
02-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh, that would be excellent. The eville projects conspired by the Other Woman and me will no doubt require extra hands to carry out, and you're at the top of my list! :P (Dallas in 2006, baby!--it's Dallas, right :?: )YEEEEE HAAAAAWWW!!! Count me in... count me in... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Yeap, it's in Dallas in 2006. Should be interesting...let's hope my nice moves lesson I had today will stay good for the next few months...just long enough to schedule for a test session and pass the @$^%#* Bronze moves once and for all.)

Hi, Vesperholly! Long time no chat!!! :D

starskate6.0
02-18-2005, 07:17 PM
I'll be there in the audience cheering you all on!! (But unfortunately not skating this year :cry: )

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

And go get 'em Starskate...I'll be hollering for you!! ;)

philly
Timdavid..Don't sweat it. Im not offended and Im sure you were just taking a guess. I don't know any of the other skaters and Im realy only out there to skate well and my goal is to just stay on my feet. :lol:

By the way, can anyone give me the Email for the schedule.. ;) Im skating tomorrow but don't know when. I have some directions but anything else a little more accurate would help. Philly, so glad your going to be there.
I have not skated since the Washington event so wish me luck.

:mrgreen:

HelenC
02-18-2005, 07:30 PM
schedule: www.thescny.org
directions: www.chelseapiers.com

(Last stop on the M23 bus going west on 23rd St)

starskate6.0
02-18-2005, 07:35 PM
schedule: www.thescny.org
directions: www.chelseapiers.com

(Last stop on the M23 bus going west on 23rd St)

Thanks... :mrgreen:

Debbie S
02-19-2005, 03:07 PM
I hope everyone skated great and had a great time! I couldn't join you this year, but maybe next year...

If anyone at the comp checks in here tonight or tomorrow, could you fill us in on the results for the Champ events? I'm particularly interested in Champ Gold Ladies. (even just the 4 that qualified for AN will be greatly appreciated)

I remember that last year, SCNY wasn't good about posting results from the Winter Classic (did they ever?) and I think the USFSA website posted results from the qualifying events at Easterns, but since 4CC is also this weekend, something tells me the adult events have been moved to the back burner.

Debbie S
02-19-2005, 04:07 PM
My apologies to the USFSA and SCNY. Results for the men's qual events are now posted here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=25785

I assume the ladies' results will be posted within a few hours.

Of course, if anyone from the comp gets here sooner, please tell! :)

Congrats to starskate6.0 (and NYCSkater is another qualifier, right?)! And congrats to all of the men who competed!

Does anyone know anything about the man who won Masters? Some of his scores look like senior-level type marks! I wonder what he landed?

daisies
02-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know anything about the man who won Masters? Some of his scores look like senior-level type marks! I wonder what he landed?

Davin Grindtsaff's been competing in Masters since 2001, I believe. He's fantastic -- the entire "package." I have no idea what jumps he's doing this year, but everything he does is HUGE and with a lot of flair. I am a big fan of his and am thrilled he won. Congrats to him as well as to starskate6.0, NYCskater and everyone else who competed! Great job!

starskate6.0
02-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Just got back.
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. The fellow from Boston won Gold mens and he skated very clean. It was a realy good event, I watched everyone and I would say that all 8 of us had a crack at a medal in this. Its was so close. Lots of landed doubles and good spinners.
I got a silver ( very cool medal ). We had a blast and i made lots of new friends. :D Ill be back tomorrow for the Masters Interp.
I love the interp :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Debbie S
02-19-2005, 07:26 PM
You didn't happen to see the Gold Ladies, did you starskate? I think the person posting the results is taking a really long dinner break, or went to bed early.

Good luck in your Interp tomorrow!

Debbie S
02-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Responding to my own post again...

They're up! Woohoo! My coach made it!! :D

From the looks of the ordinals, it was a close competition. Either everyone skated great, or there were lots of errors - hopefully it was the former!

Congrats to climbsk8! She may have just missed it, but from the looks of things, it seems like she skated really well! And congrats to everyone who competed!

And congrats to manleywoman, too! She had a tough group of skaters in her comp - I saw Beth Delano skate at New Year's - wow!

Terri C
02-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Gold and Masters Ladies results are up NOW!!
Debbie, you'll be happy to see them!! :D

starskate6.0
02-19-2005, 07:40 PM
You didn't happen to see the Gold Ladies, did you starskate? I think the person posting the results is taking a really long dinner break, or went to bed early.

Good luck in your Interp tomorrow!

Im realy sorry debbie but I was busy trying to get the the appropriate forms from the officials to send to the USFSA for the qualifying events and I didn't see it.. :cry:
However with that thought. Everyone who was in a qualifying event and placed in the first four should contact the USFSA as soon as possible to make sure you get the appropriate form to them or you won't be goiing to Nationals. The SCNY was supposed to have them but someone drop the ball along the way and they did not have them. Don't forget to look into it I think we only have 3 day's :roll:

Stormy
02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Silver Ladies I results, anyone? Pretty please?!

vesperholly
02-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have any nonqual results at all? SCNY doesn't seem to be posting them, or at least not during the competition. Thanks!

coskater64
02-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Usually the USFSA will only post the qualifying events. SCNY might post the other results on their site.

2salch0w
02-20-2005, 01:15 PM
I only got to see a few skaters yesterday. My family was along for the ride this time and they were cold and wanted to get moving to our next activity. (Which, by the way, was The Gates in Central Park. We were colder there, but not by much. :-)

I saw the last Gold Pairs team. Wow! I think I'll stay in Silver Pairs for a while. They were pretty awesome. Really nice platter lift and death spiral, and it looks like they have the throw and sbs Axels, even though they were flawed in the program. I'm sure the other two teams did great, too.

I saw a little bit of Silver Ladies and there were some really nice skates in there. Wish I could have seen more.

Silver Men class I was really really good. All 3 guys did GREAT and each had something special to offer. Jeremy's spins and extension are really good, Tim's presentation was awesome, and the 3rd guy (forget name?) had a great Axel and some other nice jumps.

I was in Silver class II and got to lose to Tim Covington again. :-) Great skate to Tim and lots of guts trying those Axels. They were big and really close. Rest of the program looked great as usual, esp the sit/back sit.

Silver Men III was also a good group -- 3 good skaters, nice programs, fast.

That was all I could see before being whisked away! Great job everyone.

Tim

NoVa Sk8r
02-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I saw the last Gold Pairs team. Wow! I think I'll stay in Silver Pairs for a while. They were pretty awesome. Really nice platter lift and death spiral, and it looks like they have the throw and sbs Axels, even though they were flawed in the program. I'm sure the other two teams did great, too.

Silver Men class I was really really good. All 3 guys did GREAT and each had something special to offer. Jeremy's spins and extension are really good, Tim's presentation was awesome, and the 3rd guy (forget name?) had a great Axel and some other nice jumps.Thanx for the report Tim--wish I could have skated with the other silver I men, but I had another competition on the same day. :(

As for the gold pair team that you mentioned, are you referring to Tara and Jason? Glad to hear that the adult pair teams are getting so good!

How did your exhibition pair skate go?

TimDavidSkate
02-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Silver Men class I was really really good. All 3 guys did GREAT and each had something special to offer. Jeremy's spins and extension are really good, Tim's presentation was awesome, and the 3rd guy (forget name?) had a great Axel and some other nice jumps.

Tim

Thanks for the kind words Tim. :D

My head wasn't in the right place with that competition. No excuse, just a lesson to be learned.

Sorry I missed your performance, I was too upset after my skate. Where do you skate btw?

Stormy
02-21-2005, 02:06 PM
SCNY only has a link to USFS' results on the site. I hope they post Non qual. results as well. Again, if anyone has Silver Ladies I results, I'd be eternally grateful! :bow:

TimDavidSkate
02-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Timdavid..Don't sweat it. Im not offended and Im sure you were just taking a guess. I don't know any of the other skaters and Im realy only out there to skate well and my goal is to just stay on my feet. :lol:

:mrgreen:

You were one of the top four I assumed :) 8-)

starskate6.0
02-21-2005, 05:35 PM
You were one of the top four I assumed :) 8-)

Second Place, very happy about that :mrgreen:

climbsk8
02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Congrats to climbsk8! She may have just missed it, but from the looks of things, it seems like she skated really well! And congrats to everyone who competed!

And congrats to manleywoman, too! She had a tough group of skaters in her comp - I saw Beth Delano skate at New Year's - wow![/QUOTE]

You are really too sweet! I was just happy to finish standing this year ... my only goal was to go home without crutches! Seriously though, the gold ladies group is really fun to be a part of. I need to work HARD if I'm going to ever squeeze up on that podium. Tell your coach not to smile so much....she really kills us on the presentation mark :)

And by the way ... Manleywoman had the most beautiful dress EVER worn at an adult skating comp, hands down.

mr7740
02-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Does anyone have a review of the Master's Ladies event at easterns? What jumps are they doing?

TimDavidSkate
02-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Second Place, very happy about that :mrgreen:

Congrats btw, Sorry I missed your performance, I will see it when I get the video :) Cya in Kansas

saras
02-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Does anyone have a review of the Master's Ladies event at easterns? What jumps are they doing?

I don't yet have a good handle on matching names to skaters but I got to see Silver Ladies, Championship Gold (men and women), and Championship Masters (men and women).

Re Champ Master's Ladies jumps - doubles, doubles everywhere. Amy Entwistle might have a double axle that she decided not to attempt this weekend (from overhearing warmup chatter with her competition coach). Most had 2toe, 2sal, 2loop, some 2flips and I think there was a 2 lutz or two. There were some really nice creative jump combos - walley, walley, 2sal I think was one. Ditto in the Men's competition.

Yes, Allison's dress was gorgeous ;) A few women wore pants. Some of the ordinals were all over the place - which IMO means it was a tough call re who ended up on the podium.

--Sara

manleywoman
02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the dress compliments guys. Very much appreciated. I was hoping I didn't look like a big sausage in the dress!

I feel very bittersweet about my skate, since I was the most prepared, most healthy, most in-shape I've ever been for a competition, and did the worst I've ever done! And what perplexes me is that with the exceptions of the jumps I fell on, the rest of my spins, stroking, presentation and footwork I felt were the strongest I'd ever competed. So the falls took me completely by surprise, considering that I'd landed the 2toe and 2sal beautifully in the beginning of the program and landed all the jumps in the warm-up, so obviously I can do them just fine. Frustrating.

But I was glad that if I had to make mistakes, that my good buddy Kim Sailer...who's never beaten me ever...was able to skate clean and surpass me to qualify for her first time! I was very pleased for her.

Sorry I didn't get to watch any of the other events since I had to concentrate on my event. I hope everyone felt good about their performaces!

phillyskater
02-22-2005, 01:23 PM
SCNY only has a link to USFS' results on the site. I hope they post Non qual. results as well. Again, if anyone has Silver Ladies I results, I'd be eternally grateful! :bow:

Sorry, I don't have all the results, but I remember that Heather Hilgar from U of D won, with almost all first place ordinals, as I recall. Can't remember the rest. :oops:

I got to watch most of Saturday's competition, and--wow--what a great day of skating! Everyone who competed should be proud. And whoever mentioned Tara and Jason's performance in Gold Pairs was right - they were great! The overhead lift got a huge roar from the crowd. The other Gold Pairs teams did very nicely as well.

And regarding the rumor about Amy Entwistle's double axel, I am pretty sure that I saw her land one during the official warm up. She is just amazing to watch.

And as I promised starskate, I'll be back in competition next year, no more watching from the stands!

philly

Stormy
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
How many Silver I ladies tried/landed axels? Sorry, I know I'm being a pain in the tookus, just trying to gauge where I would have been and what to expect for Nats. :) Thanks!! :)

Debbie S
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
How many Silver I ladies tried/landed axels? Sorry, I know I'm being a pain in the tookus, just trying to gauge where I would have been and what to expect for Nats. :) Thanks!! :)

Well, I can't offer any info about the Winter Classic, since I wasn't there, but I watched the Silver I Ladies at New Year's a couple of weeks ago and I think about half of them attempted axels, but only 2 or 3 landed them cleanly (meaning not 2-footed or cheated). Actually, skatingatty competed in this event so if she got the video, maybe she could provide more accurate info. Heather Hilgar, who won the event, has 2 axels in her program - I remember her landing at least one cleanly, maybe the second one, not 100% sure. I watched all of the Silver levels so they may be running together in my mind.

Remember, though, it's not just the jumps that are important - hey, I completed the most jumps of the 3 skaters in my Pre-Bronze comp at New Year's and got 3rd (I was also the only 1 to do footwork, and 2 sit spins (one was a camel-sit) but I won't dwell on that). I know someone who made the finals in Silver II last year at AN and I don't believe she has an axel.

NoVa Sk8r
02-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes; many of us silver folk are hoping that we can make the podium sans axel (This silver lad is especially hoping that his spins will erase any negative axel marks in the judges' minds!)

That said, it is nice to know what the competition is doing ... and landing!

starskate6.0
02-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Congrats btw, Sorry I missed your performance, I will see it when I get the video :) Cya in Kansas

Thanks Tim

I keep meaning to say hello to you at these events but every time I see you you have a head set on listening to music and off in your own world . :D

Say Hello in Kansas.. :D

mr7740
02-22-2005, 07:25 PM
I am hoping to compete in adult competitions next season and since it seemed that there were a lot of adult skaters on this board I thought I would ask a few of the questions that I have. What is the difference between say Master's or Master's Senior / Junior / Novice? Do skater's usually enter both? Is the Master's level or qualifying level the marquis event so to speak and do skater's usually value that event above the master's senior, etc? Thanks for any information.

Beccapoo2003
02-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes,
Many Silver II skaters have made the finals without an Axel (me included). An Axel is just one element in a program. Skate your program as well as you can and don't worry so much about what everyone else does. What they do is out of your control! I think it was last year or the year before, the gold medalist did not do an Axel in their program but it was wonderful! :D
Happy skating!
Adult Skaters rock!!!
Becca

Thin-Ice
02-23-2005, 03:31 AM
Last year in Silver Ladies II, the overall winner didn't even attempt an axel. She says there's no point in proving what you can't do. She is a lovely skater: great edges, posture and positions; good speed; nice spins; big lutz and loop combinations. She proves you don't have to have an axel even in the youngest group to do well as long as you look good doing everything else. (By the way, she's working on an axel now -- so she can test up to gold soon!)

Yes, you're right that was a typo on my part! Sandra is/was Silver TWO!

NoVa Sk8r
02-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Last year in Silver Ladies I, the overall winner didn't even attempt an axel. She says there's no point in proving what you can't do. She is a lovely skater: great edges, posture and positions; good speed; nice spins; big lutz and loop combinations. She proves you don't have to have an axel even in the youngest group to do well as long as you look good doing everything else. (By the way, she's working on an axel now -- so she can test up to gold soon!)You mean silver II, right? The overall silver I winner (I think) had a couple of axels in her program (she's in gold this year).

Careygram
02-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Yes, it was the Silver II gold medalist who won without an axel because I was second behind her in the finals. She was fast, gorgeous Ina Bauer with really really good presentation. Many of us in the finals did attempt (even landed :)) an axel but Sandra just had a better overall package. I must say though that when I watched the tape of the final round, there are so many talented skaters out there. I was thoroughly impressed and so happy that I didn't watch any one before I skated or I would have been more freaked out than I already was.

8O
;)

manleywoman
02-23-2005, 09:13 AM
What is the difference between say Master's or Master's Senior / Junior / Novice?

Masters Novice, Masters Junior and Masters Senior are the open events. You enter them depending on which test you've passed. There are no qualifying rounds for these...just sign up and go to Nationals.

Championship Masters is Novice/Junior/Senior combined with no age requirements. It's strictly who is the best that year, regardless of what test you've passed or age. They take the top four finishers from Sectionals.

Do skater's usually enter both?
<snip>
Is the Master's level or qualifying level the marquis event so to speak and do skater's usually value that event above the master's senior, etc?

About half will do both. The Championship Masters event is considered by many to be the marquis event, and for traveling adults is conveniently on Saturday night, so if they qualified for that event they don't have to spend as much time away from home to compete. Many Masters ladies will ONLY go to Nationals if they qualify through Sectionals to compete in the Masters Championship event. But the other half will compete in their open event as well, myself included.

Stormy
02-23-2005, 09:57 AM
You mean silver II, right? The overall silver I winner (I think) had a couple of axels in her program (she's in gold this year).

Yes, in Sectionals last year I was 2nd to the lady that won Silver at AN last year. Have to admit I was happy she moved up! :) She's an excellent skater and qualified for Championship Gold this year. The axel really may not be there in time for AN so I am just hoping to qualify to finals without it. That's my goal, hopefully not an unreasonable one! :)

flo
02-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Congrats to all! Are the open results posted anywhere?

HelenC
02-23-2005, 01:09 PM
I told the organizers that the nonqualifying event results have been requested. They said they will try to do that by the end of this week on the SCNY website. The person who will post it is away judging another competition.
I was very impressed with the level of skating. Congratulations everyone!

icecatepairs
02-27-2005, 10:58 PM
OK I knew I couldn't read follow this message board without logging on. it seems like a lot of possitive feedback and a good atmosphere. :)

Lots to reply to.
Novas8ter:
Thanks for all the support and precomp advice. How come loop loop gets to have a knife collection and I don't ? (lol) ok you are all right ..to be a pairs skater you have to be somewhat crazy with good med insurance. its been an interesting 7 months...yes my chiro is on speed dial!! but serioulsy you have to both be equally as crazy. and i have some bad news for you...when an over the head goes wrong guess who takes the worst of it...you pal your the human cushion under your ice queen (thats loop loop for you) And you got roped into pairs because female pairs skaters are like the marines...we are looking for a few good men.! i took one of them of the available to skate list 7 months ago and i am not planning on gving him back. I got lucky to find a good match this time around. so loop loop gets to keep her knife collection. see you in kansas! :)

icecatepairs
02-27-2005, 11:16 PM
ok now the competition stuff:

yeah some of the warmups were combined and it was hard to tell who was who. i was in a few events so i missed some stuff, but saw all of masters and gold men. If my memory serves correct, the gold levels are really pushing the envelope in terms of difficulty. the gold men (all of them) had so much more that i remember seeing in past years. that was a tough group.

silver I: I didn't see Heather compete but had am practice ice with her and am not at all suprised she won. she had the most beautiful axel i've seen in a long time. light and effortless..and that sit spin...wow....she really looks great this year.

masters men is always and event to watch and this year was no different

stormy:
thank you for the kind words. yes i finally moved up...those $%#& moves in the field....many thanks to edward the moves nazi....(masters men) and then, alas , they removed the novice 3's from the test!!any way last year in silver 1 did have 2 axles, one plain and one in combo. It took landing them both clean..but Maya Buchanan in silver 1 was on the podium in lake placid with no axle. she is a smoother skater, and placed over some people who landed one clean axle...go maya....2 years ago cathy gibbs won silver 2 without it. she kicked butt in gold 2 this weekend. she has amazing footwork and speed.

in general the ordinals were all ove the place. if you were there throughout you cold see which judges were looking for jump and who was looking for edges, and some had a pattern of marking higher for speed. it was like that in all the events! so it made for an interesting event to follow.

hope to see you all in kansas. i am still figuring out who some of you but some of you i know already

If landing a jump in singles is 3x your body weight then landing a throw jump is ..10 x your body weight? depends on whos throwing you and if your bodyweight is really what you listed on partnersearch.com! hmm carbs...what are those again..i forgot.

Q: how many coaches does it take to get icecatpairs to pass gold moves
A: one if he;s the moves nazi (oh yeah and one footwork happy partner!)
g'nite :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
02-27-2005, 11:18 PM
OK I knew I couldn't read follow this message board without logging on. it seems like a lot of possitive feedback and a good atmosphere. :)

Lots to reply to.
NoVa Sk8r:
Thanks for all the support and precomp advice. How come loop loop gets to have a knife collection and I don't ? (lol) ok you are all right ..to be a pairs skater you have to be somewhat crazy with good med insurance. its been an interesting 7 months...yes my chiro is on speed dial!! but serioulsy you have to both be equally as crazy. and i have some bad news for you...when an over the head goes wrong guess who takes the worst of it...you pal you're the human cushion under your ice queen (thats loop loop for you) And you got roped into pairs because female pairs skaters are like the marines...we are looking for a few good men.! i took one of them of the available to skate list 7 months ago and i am not planning on gving him back. I got lucky to find a good match this time around. so loop loop gets to keep her knife collection. see you in kansas! :)I'm glad that you and Jason, despite a few pitfalls, skated very well in NYC. Gold pairs is a far-away goal for me (if it even does occur at all!), so I'm gonna live vicarioulsy through you (and others). I can't wait to see your platter lift in Kansas! I don't plan on doing overhead lifts anytime soon; Loops and I are content with the couple of off-ice lifts that we can do easily. She has already fallen on top of me last summer in an axel lift as we were cruising down the ice. Luckily, no one was hurt, but I will never forget that fall. I'm always glad to take a fall--and not get hurt--'cuz then I know how to 'fall properly' next time.

Loops NEEDS a knife collection to fend off my tart tongue and on-ice antics (heck, off-ice antics as well). Actually, the quote is a reference to "The Cutting Edge"; you can't be a pair skater without having seen this magnificent film. :P Another pair skater (the "Other Woman" 8-) ) and I made Loops take a quiz to prove to us that she had, in fact, seen the film (and she scored 100%).

Yes yes yes, 'pairs skating'--especially adult pairs skating--and 'craziness' go together like peas and carrots. Though I believe Loops' favorite (and I might add, misrepresentative and inaccurate) word to describe me would be 'freak'--hmm, maybe *I* need those knives instead. :evil:

And I know that Loops is grateful to have me, considering how rare adult male pairs skaters are. I like to remind her--often. ;) :P

icecatepairs
02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
8-) ok kids put the knives down and skate...wait we have our blades for that. hey it would make a great documentary to mic us during a program and or practice...talk about a funny reality show!! in any case not to give away all the secrets but do you lift off ice with loops wearing ankle weights? it made all the difference..can't wait to see you guys in kansas..stay well and healthy everyone!!! :!:

NoVa Sk8r
02-27-2005, 11:34 PM
8-) ok kids put the knives down and skate...wait we have our blades for that. hey it would make a great documentary to mic us during a program and or practice...talk about a funny reality show!! in any case not to give away all the secrets but do you lift off ice with loops wearing ankle weights? it made all the difference..can't wait to see you guys in kansas..stay well and healthy everyone!!! :!:Mic us? Um, with all the bleeps, no one would understand the dialogue or conversation. Then again, that's how or communication usually works. :P Nah, we're pretty good at the telepathy thing on ice--we know what to work on and we think of the same patterns and exercises at the same time. It's actually freaky at times.

We don't employ ankle weights, but we sometimes do the off-ice lifts while we are wearing our skates. And sometimes we do this after having skated for 1.5 hours. When our on-ice lifts don't work, we occasionally get off the ice and try the lifts. That seems to work, especially for that pesky split twist.

[And here's praying for a mammoth Nor'Easter so I don't have to go to work tomorrow! :D ]

skaternum
02-28-2005, 05:24 AM
Actually, the quote is a reference to "The Cutting Edge"; you can't be a pair skater without having seen this magnificent film. :P Another pair skater (the "Other Woman" 8-) ) and I made Loops take a quiz to prove to us that she had, in fact, seen the film (and she scored 100%).Hee hee. That was fun! I still cannot believe she'd never seen that movie!!

And it's so true about the man taking the brunt of it when a lift goes bad. I've squashed David several times. It really is like having a cushion under you. Thanks, David. :)

Signed,
The Other Woman

LoopLoop
02-28-2005, 07:51 AM
How come loop loop gets to have a knife collection and I don't ? (lol)
Hey, if you skated with him you'd make sure to have a knife collection too! :lol: Of course sometimes I think I'd use them to put MYSELF out of the misery... ;)

LoopLoop
02-28-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't plan on doing overhead lifts anytime soon; Loops and I are content with the couple of off-ice lifts that we can do easilty. She has already fallen on top of me last summer in an axel lift as we were cruising down the ice. Luckily, no one was hurt, but I will never forget that fall. I'm always glad to take a fall--and not get hurt--'cuz then I know how to 'fall properly' next time.
Um, speak for yourself! I don't know that I'm CONTENT with off-ice lifts; I know it's not safe for us to do them on the ice YET, but I would love to do them eventually.

Here's a poll for adult pairs skaters: how many falls have you had during lifts? I think that with only one so far we're doing pretty well in that regard.

And I know that Loops is grateful to have me, considering how rare adult male pairs skaters are. I like to remind her--often. ;) :P
Biting tongue...biting tongue...

Mrs Redboots
02-28-2005, 08:51 AM
8-) ok kids put the knives down and skate...wait we have our blades for that. hey it would make a great documentary to mic us during a program and or practice...talk about a funny reality show!! in any case not to give away all the secrets but do you lift off ice with loops wearing ankle weights? it made all the difference..can't wait to see you guys in kansas..stay well and healthy everyone!!! :!:I once saw a documentary about Torvill & Dean and they showed their practice, and honestly, their language was worse than ours.... and we are renowned for yelling at each other on the ice.

A dance coach at our rink (not mine!) said, the other day, "I do hate this time of year - they're all working on new stuff [our crowd just didn't make Europeans or Worlds this year; the only couple who did, split up so couldn't go!] and so they yell at each other!" How true....

NoVa Sk8r
02-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey, if you skated with him you'd make sure to have a knife collection too! :lol: Of course sometimes I think I'd use them to put MYSELF out of the misery... ;)No one is stopping you, least of all me!

NoVa Sk8r
02-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Um, speak for yourself! I don't know that I'm CONTENT with off-ice lifts; I know it's not safe for us to do them on the ice YET, but I would love to do them eventually. OK, after nationals, let's work on the splatter, er, platter, lift ON ICE! And besides, I've yet to give blood this year. What better way ... ;)

skaternum
02-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Here's a poll for adult pairs skaters: how many falls have you had during lifts? I think that with only one so far we're doing pretty well in that regard.Four, I think, in 2.5 years of skating together. We're very cautious, obviously. One of them was a split twist -- ouch!!

flo
02-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi,
As far as the poll:
I was dropped once from an overhead by the psycho partner. He was not use to skating in shows and with spotlights, but also thought he was too busy and too good to go to the show practice. Wrong! After the show I made sure we did that lift again and again and again.
I do have to say that with my successive partners, they were very careful and most considerate. There were some falls, but I never believed believed there was any intent or carelessness invoved - just part of pair skating.

TimDavidSkate
02-28-2005, 07:14 PM
I was playing around on the ice and did a table top lift and went over the guy thank god none of us got seriously hurt. (I was thrown) ;) :D

I also did a couple of throw axels and throw double salchows. It is so much fun being thrown.

icecatepairs
02-28-2005, 08:37 PM
wow, the pairs skaters are coming out of the woodwork. ok as far as the poll , yes we have taken one bad fall on a lift. :oops: :P Ironically it was the platter lift, which is now one of our strongest elements. when we first learned it, he got me up and then got his heel caught in a rut and fell back, and i fell on top of him. we have since learned that it isnot a good idea to do over the head lifts if the ice hasn't been cut, or on a mixed level session, because its just too dangerous. we plan our session around that issue depending on where we are. other than that I have no fear of lifts because no matter what goes wrong, traffic or my bad position, he always saves it and has never dropped me. it took some time though to build that trust.

loop loop and novas8ter,
we have done lift is skates off ice, but we found the weights to be valuable. remember in skates on the ground is at a dead standstill making it hard to push. once on the ice that issue is gone. but the weights and sneakers give you a sense of what is really the middle of her body, yet she can still get off the ground. also the first few times we did it we had a a "spotter" our coach is a big guy who is still capable to lift and we had him safety spot us. it really sped up the procces. ;)

ok so i am going to still let loops keep her knife collection all for herself. hmm ladies...we should get together in kansas and trade stories...novask8ter intense,? yeah i can see that. as for all of us remember its hard enough to be in a good mood every day and skate, so when you put two together its always someones turn to be crabby!! (especially at 5:45 am!!!!) :twisted:

ok next poll , what kind of practice schedule do you keep., are you and your partners in the same club? how far so you have to travel?

theres a blizzard in ny!!!!!!!!!!!

NoVa Sk8r
02-28-2005, 09:26 PM
loop loop and novas8ter,
we have done lift is skates off ice, but we found the weights to be valuable. remember in skates on the ground is at a dead standstill making it hard to push. once on the ice that issue is gone. but the weights and sneakers give you a sense of what is really the middle of her body, yet she can still get off the ground. also the first few times we did it we had a a "spotter" our coach is a big guy who is still capable to lift and we had him safety spot us. it really sped up the procces. ;) When we finally try the on-ice platter, Loops will be in a harness, so that will remove most of the danger. We actually tried to do a press lift (I think it was press?) many moons ago on the ice with Loops in the harness. It was a very strange feeling, and we haven't returned to it. IIRC, I had a hard time getting down in my knees. Maybe since this has become so much easier off ice, we can attempt it again on ice?

ok so i am going to still let loops keep her knife collection all for herself. hmm ladies...we should get together in kansas and trade stories...novask8ter intense,? yeah i can see that. as for all of us remember its hard enough to be in a good mood every day and skate, so when you put two together its always someones turn to be crabby!! (especially at 5:45 am!!!!) :twisted: Me, intense? Nah, I'm a gentle soul. I've not lived in New York since 1996, so all my Yankee vim and vigor has attenuated to some degree.

ok next poll , what kind of practice schedule do you keep., are you and your partners in the same club? how far so you have to travel?We skate for 1.5 hours on freestyle ice on Sunday, a 2-hour uncrowded public session on Wed. night (we do pairs the second half of the session), and 45 minutes on a Fri. morning freestyle (with a 20-min. lesson included). We skate mostly in Fairfax Ice Arena; she lives maybe 5-10 minutes from there, and I live 15-20 minutes away. There are plenty of rinks in this area so we usually have a back-up rink when eville hockey subverts the figure skating schedule. We're in different clubs (she = SC of Northern Virginia; I = Washington FSC).

theres a blizzard in ny!!!!!!!!!!!Yuck. We were supposed to get hammered here, but didn't. It snowed a bit all day, but most didn't stick. Then it mostly melted (I live just south of the Beltway), then it snowed hard for a bit, then i went skating (with only a few other skaters on the ice), and it had rained a bit. The roads were fine. So much for that 6-10 inches.

icecatepairs
02-28-2005, 10:29 PM
wow lifts in the harness,
we never tried that, but i can say that the down in the knees thing will be the casue of loops wanting to use that well polished knife collection. we can't jump over a human pommel horse that is 6 feet tall!!. press lift...supposed to be the safest. its the one our coach wanted to do first but we were more comfortable with the platter and star. we are anxious to go back to the lifts that we abandon because they were not selected for the program. hey loops...how often do your non skater friends ask you if you wear a helmet? :lol:

please let me know how the press lift goes.

we also have a few backup rinks. we are more like the traveling nomads. we utilize 4 different rinks on a regular basis , and there are 2 others we used in the summer. our mainstays are sat am 6:30 9:00 sunday 9:00-1:00 (lesson included)
and we have been using wed ams (6:00-9:00). we use some of thid time for stretching, and lifts, and sometimes in the ballet room utilizing the mirrors. and of course theree are breaks because icecatepairs is a wimp and always cold. we get at lest two of those on a regular basis. we have left a can of sticky spray ans a copy of the music in every rink in the tri satate area.

its 11:30 and we have almost afoot of snow!!!!

should we start a pairs thread? redirect me if you do
uh oh...guess no physical therapy tommorrow....oh did i mention that body parts are starting to fall off by now?

LoopLoop
03-01-2005, 08:34 AM
It was actually the platter lift that we tried in the harness. It didn't work, though, because it was pulling me up from the shoulders so I couldn't stay parallel to the ice. I think the press lift would be much easier in the harness; maybe after nationals we can try it?

Maybe I'll bring some ankle weights to the rink one of these days and we can use them during our warmup.

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Results for the Winter Classic (in addition to the sectionals) are up:
http://www.thescny.org/eastchamp/index.htm

kunduchaiko
03-07-2005, 08:00 PM
congratulations to Beth Delano for making it to nationals.

rachel dratch on ice!

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Beth ROCKS!!!! I wish I could spin half as well as her. :bow:

CanAmSk8ter
03-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Ok, so I'm thinking I want to start doing freestyle again when I turn 25 in a couple years. (I'm on the last of my Silver dances). I tried jumping last week for the first time in three years and found that my axel and double sal are about a quarter turn short. Haven't tried any other doubles yet, or single Lutz for that matter, mainly because I'm still wearing my dance blades. I'll be mounting my old freestyle blades back onto an old pair of boots tomorrow.

Anyway, I'd love to do Championship Gold in 2007- what elements are the top ladies doing at that level? What about Silver and Gold I? Keep in mind I have eighteen months+ to get the doubles back ;) Who knows, maybe I'll do one of the nonquals with intro events in the fall or something.

max
03-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Can I just say well done to John McKay from the iceSheffield UK for winning the Adult Silver Class 3. John is our only competitive adult free skater in Sheffield so we are proud of his successes.

Mrs Redboots
03-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Can I just say well done to John McKay from the iceSheffield UK for winning the Adult Silver Class 3. John is our only competitive adult free skater in Sheffield so we are proud of his successes.Very well done to John - but I know at least two other adults who would like to be competitive adult skaters at your rink but can't because the times for lessons & classes simply aren't geared for them..... which is not to detract from John at all (Hi, John!)

max
03-15-2005, 06:21 AM
Unfortunately isn't that the way all over. I don't want to be sitting in a rink at 6.00 am in the morning but to fit lessons in thats what we have have to do.

I keep thinking only another year, youngest daughter will go to university or into shows and I start getting lay-ins. After 14 years, I think I deserve it!