View Full Version : places to skate: washington Vs D.C.

Shinn-Reika
05-25-2005, 03:03 AM
Okay it seems my summer plans have changed a bit as I might possibly be spending time in both washington D.C. and delaware.

Anyway my question (since it appears that there are people from that area.) is are there good times/places to skate in these places.

In washington I found two arenas Wheaton and cabin john, that seem to offer daily public sessions (which cost less) and are 15 minutes from where I'm staying (google maps == rawkage).

Yet Ironically Wilmington (supposedly being the figure skating town that it is) offers less than desirable conditions. There are three rinks within range (the pond, frank rust, and the SCW. But it appears that I'd have to skate during a freestyle session.

But I don't understand how or why people can skate these. They cost twice as much for half the time, and I honestly get sorta nervous around [other] figure skaters. Escpecially considering how atypical I am. Any suggestions, otherwise I might as well goto D.C. and not look back.

jenlyon60
05-25-2005, 04:47 AM
Are you staying in Maryland? There's also The Gardens Ice House, although I believe they have mostly freestyle ice. Believe there's rinks in Bowie and Columbia, and I know there's a rink in Frederick MD.

In northern Virginia, there's Mt. Vernon rink (probably the most apt of the VA rinks to have public session ice), Fairfax Ice Arena, Skatequest Reston and Ashburn Ice House. The latter 2 have very few public sessions except perhaps on the weekends.

Besides Mt. Vernon in NoVA, Cabin John and Wheaton probably have the best possibility of public session ice... probably because they're county-owned.

Reston, Ashburn and the Gardens have extensive summer school programs.

Skate@Delaware
05-25-2005, 06:19 AM
I am told by my coach that the best session at The Pond is the club session (M-F 5:40-6:30). It seems to be the least populated, same price. She tells the that their freestyle sessions are free-for-alls with the open sessions being the worst-low and high level skaters on the ice with ice dancers etc all running into each other..... 8O

I am looking into the Thursday public session at The Pond. I would be up there tomorrow, but I forgot to change my schedule so today was my day off instead of tomorrow.... :cry: So, as soon as I change my schedule and go up, I will let you guys know how it is!

We (the family and some skate friends) are going up on Sunday (yeah, we like to live dangerously) so I will ask the other skaters there how it is during the week.

Also, starting June 13, the SCW will have a daytime public session. M-F 1-2 p.m. for $3. It's not much, but it's something.

I wish our rink was open all summer.... We have very nice ice and not very crowded daytime sessions!

MusicSkateFan
05-25-2005, 07:39 AM
There is also Fort Dupont rink in DC. It is on the East side of the Anacostia River. There are only weekend public sessions. Sometimes when there is no Hockey they have a Sat morning freestyle. It is closed right now until June 17, I dont know at this time what sort of schedule they will have when it opens. They also have a Friday 12 noon public skate that can be a nice session with very few people. They usually have great ice and there is a nice view of the Capitol building while you skate!

Sunday public skate is usually very crowded...they have a huge learn to skate program that many stick around for the public session after.

jenlyon60
05-25-2005, 08:10 AM
I couldn't remember what Ft. Dupont had these days... Beautiful rink to skate at, though.

Shinn-Reika
05-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Well I checked the pond and it was... odd. Just not what I'm used too, mostly people muuuch older than me, ans I
ve pretty much come to expect being around college students. Anyway I don't think I was feeling that place. It was the pattern every one was in, really. They tended to stay in their own isolated patches, and I really couldn't use as much of the ice as I wanted.

So summary: If you don't require a lutz corner for a waltz jump, and you're an adult skater then I don't think you'd mind.

I will say that their olympic arena was nice. bloody huge, to bad you had to go freestyle to skate it.

Skate@Delaware
05-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Well I checked the pond and it was... odd. Just not what I'm used too, mostly people muuuch older than me, ans I
ve pretty much come to expect being around college students. Anyway I don't think I was feeling that place. It was the pattern every one was in, really. They tended to stay in their own isolated patches, and I really couldn't use as much of the ice as I wanted.

So summary: If you don't require a lutz corner for a waltz jump, and you're an adult skater then I don't think you'd mind.

I will say that their olympic arena was nice. bloody huge, to bad you had to go freestyle to skate it.

Sometimes they open the olympic for public skate but not very often. too bad for them, as I think it is a good rink and am dying to skate on it! I feel claustrophobic on the other rink-the ceiling is too low compared to my rink and it's colder (but I guess people without ice shouldn't complain).

U of D was so crowded last time we went and we were told we couldn't jump or spin (even in the middle-ever) that I don't think we will be back. So we will go up on Sunday and try the pond during a holiday public skate and check our sanity at the door :giveup: . Maybe they will open the oly ice....

jenlyon60
05-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Skating Club of Wilmington rink is closed right now for a couple weeks due to maintenance. So I suspect the other local rinks are picking up more skaters who would normally train at SCW.

Skate@Delaware
05-28-2005, 06:14 AM
Skating Club of Wilmington rink is closed right now for a couple weeks due to maintenance. So I suspect the other local rinks are picking up more skaters who would normally train at SCW.

I'm told by my coach that the pond's freestyle sessions have been mad free-for-all's with everyone all over the place. An ice dance couple ran into and knocked down a novice skater the other day.... (of course, that's always bound to happen).

I am spoiled from my rink-not very crowded during the daytime sessions (unless there are homeschool groups) and I don't like crowds... I'm not good enough to react quickly if I have to get out of the way quickly (I always envision having to do an axel over someone who just wiped out in front of me-he he he)