View Full Version : download program music

kayskate
02-06-2005, 08:13 AM
I am interested in putting together a simple program. Is there a website out there someplace that has pieces of program music available for download? I am not looking for something really special, just something basic that can be had rather inexpensively.

Kay

Melzorina
02-06-2005, 08:20 AM
I thought you could use any music for a program...?
I'd like to do a program aswell, but just for the fun of it.

jp1andOnly
02-06-2005, 10:07 AM
There are programs out there that let you cut your own music. AS for downloading music, you will have to either by some and then save the files on your computer, download from a free p2p program like kaaza, or use something like napster where you have to pay per song

I am interested in putting together a simple program. Is there a website out there someplace that has pieces of program music available for download? I am not looking for something really special, just something basic that can be had rather inexpensively.

Kay

iskatealot
02-06-2005, 10:30 AM
does anyone know what those music cutting programs are??

pennybeagle
02-06-2005, 11:45 AM
does anyone know what those music cutting programs are??
These are the three that I have seen/used:

My coach cuts music with SoundForge (for PC only). I have Sound Studio on my Mac, which is a very basic program. I know a person who is a serious music editor (non-skater) who uses PEAK (he owns a Mac, but it may work cross-platform), which I think lets you download a 30-day free trial or something.

SoundForge and PEAK (and other higher-end programs) will let you blend, loop, fade, normalize, stretch, or speed up pieces. I think both of these programs allows you to add or subtract time from a piece without changing the pitch (Sound Studio will also speed up or slow down a piece for you, but the pitch goes up or down). None of them come with an instruction manual, though, so you just have to have patience.

sue123
02-06-2005, 12:13 PM
There are programs out there that let you cut your own music. AS for downloading music, you will have to either by some and then save the files on your computer, download from a free p2p program like kaaza, or use something like napster where you have to pay per song

isn't kazaa illegal now anyway? but you can download kazaa lite, although i don't think it's out anymore. K-lite doesn't install any spyware into your computer, so supposedly the bigwigs can't see you. there's also ares as a free music download place. i think now with napster, if you pay $100 for the year, they send you a free mp3 player. a friend of mine just did that, so if you want an mp3 player, it's not a bad way to go.

kayskate
02-06-2005, 12:57 PM
I guess what I am really looking for is pre-cut bits of music that are used for skating programs. I am not looking to design anything myself. I thought there might be a library of pieces available somewhere and I could download a few and pick one. I am looking for cheap and easy. This is for a test program, not competition, so it just has to fit the time requirements. It does not have to be fancy.

Kay

jp1andOnly
02-06-2005, 01:02 PM
nope, dont think you'll find what you are looking for

I guess what I am really looking for is pre-cut bits of music that are used for skating programs. I am not looking to design anything myself. I thought there might be a library of pieces available somewhere and I could download a few and pick one. I am looking for cheap and easy. This is for a test program, not competition, so it just has to fit the time requirements. It does not have to be fancy.

Kay

InsideAxel
02-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Kay,

Do you have any idea as to the type of music you'd like? How long does the cut need to be? I'd be happy to try and put something together for you for your test.

C'ya!

Kelton

Hann
02-06-2005, 01:35 PM
i've just completed 6 programmes... well like i ended up just making them up, but like the kind of music i used, where.. um, i used 'a whole new world', 'grease lightening', 'hero' 'beauty and the beast', 'tarzan' and 'shrek'. it all depends what kind of music you are looking for, becuase like grease lightening was like jumpy and fast. whereas, a whole new world was like more step sequences and arm movements... it all depends..

my coach uses some cutting programme, but i have no idea what it is.. um, i dont think you can find pre-cut music out there.. but like you can use limewire to download music.

Hann

angelskates
02-06-2005, 08:26 PM
I use and love Sound Forge to edit and have about one hundred or more cuts that I have never used, but you never know!! (I never delete cuts!).

If you let me know the type of music, I can see if I have anything too.

As far as I know, there aren't any places you can download already-made cuts. How long do you need?

Aussie Willy
02-06-2005, 08:47 PM
I have used a couple of music editing programs.

You could try Nero which I got with my CD burner and has a wave editor.

I have downloaded a free one called Audacity which is great and is like a wave editor as well. I think the website is just www.audacity.com or it might have a .com.au on the end. Not sure. Try the other one first.

jmp123
02-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I've used Cakewalk Home Studio (PC) to cut music - I haven't used any of the others, so I don't know the pros and cons.

Have you asked your coach about music? He/she may have some pieces that are already cut. There are also places where you can buy skating music of different lengths - not sure how much it costs, but I saw an ad in Skating mag.

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2005, 03:38 AM
I have downloaded a free one called Audacity which is great and is like a wave editor as well. I think the website is just www.audacity.com (http://www.audacity.com) or it might have a .com.au on the end. Not sure. Try the other one first.It's actually http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Aussie Willy
02-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Thanks Annabel!!! :)

NYCskater
02-07-2005, 05:45 AM
If you go to Soulseek and then to the Iceroom alot of people not only have skating videos to share, but skating music as well. Sometimes the skating music is unedited and sometimes they have skating music that is the exact cut as what the skaters have done themselves. you just have to browse through people's files and see what is available.

NickiT
02-07-2005, 07:57 AM
I have used a couple of music editing programs.

You could try Nero which I got with my CD burner and has a wave editor.

I have downloaded a free one called Audacity which is great and is like a wave editor as well. I think the website is just www.audacity.com or it might have a .com.au on the end. Not sure. Try the other one first.

I use Nero to cut all my programme music.

Nicki

LWalsh
02-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi,

What length are you looking for? Which test? I could see if I have something you could use.

Lara

phoenix
02-07-2005, 09:06 AM
While we're talking about sharing music, I need 2 pieces, both cut to ONE minute (plus or minus 10 sec), for little girls--one 5, one 8. These are for a basic skills competition, one at basic 5, one at basic 7.

I've started looking around a bit--but if there's stuff already out there cut to the time it would save me a huge headache! One minute isn't easy to make sound complete.......

I'll be happy to pay anyone for their time, shipping, etc.

kayskate
02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I have never tested a program before. I am looking to test adult bronze and silver. Gold will have to wait, maybe forever. I don't want something too fast. I am looking for something simple, classic and elegant. I am planning flowing, clean choerography, no jump footwork. I want something dignified and mature with some good place to insert outrageous spins.

I will try Soulseek. Sounds like what I was looking for.

Kay

angelskates
02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know if you can email sound files? (they are wave sound)

Phoenix, I have Henry Mancini's "Pink Panther" which may be okay for you, though it's too long at the moment (cut it for ISI competitor at my rink) but I can try and cut it a bit more if you like.

Edited to add, I also found Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova" from Austin Powers (also too long at the moment), which could be okay, unfortunately, I don't have any "typical" like kids music like Disney etc. (I'm 25 and it just happened that these kids' coach is also my coach and I like this music for me and they were also suitable for them.)

sk8pics
02-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Angelskates -- I might be interested in your Pink Panther if you don't mind. I downloaded a version of it myself from the Apple iTunes music store, and now I find out that Sound Studio will not open those files (.m4p) because they are protected. :frus: :frus: What format is your file in? Maybe I could get it from you and edit it myself.

Pat

angelskates
02-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Sk8pics, it is currently in MP3 format. I have no idea how to send music files. But if someone can tell me, I would be more than willing to send.

I also found Bill Haley and the Comets, Rock around the Clock which could work for adults or children (though it has lyrics).

Edited to add, there is a "email this file" but that I guess I could click on :roll: Sk8pics if you PM me your email address I can give it a try!

sk8pics
02-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Angelskates -- Maybe try emailing the file? If you have DSL or a cable modem, I would think you could do it. Otherwise I could send you a blank CD with some cash for mailing it.

I will PM you with my email address. Could you send the whole song (as opposed to any edits you already did)?

Thanks for your help, whether it succeeds or not!

Pat

angelskates
02-08-2005, 07:07 AM
sk8pics, I am emailing you the file. I can't email it from hotmail, since it's too big (6.42MB) so am trying from Yahoo!. Your PM box is full, btw.

InsideAxel
02-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Angelskates -- I might be interested in your Pink Panther if you don't mind. I downloaded a version of it myself from the Apple iTunes music store, and now I find out that Sound Studio will not open those files (.m4p) because they are protected. :frus: :frus: What format is your file in? Maybe I could get it from you and edit it myself.

Pat

Pat,

iTunes files are proprietary and thus protected...however, there's a way around that. In iTunes, create and burn a CD with the .m4p file(s) you want to edit. Once the CD is done, you can then extract the track back using Itunes or another program as an .mp3 or .wav file that should then be editable. The loss of sound quality should be minimal.

Good luck!

Kelton

sk8pics
02-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Kelton,
Thanks for the suggestion! I had thought of that, but hadn't had the chance to try it. Seems like an obvious way to get around it, so you'd think the programmers would have thought of that, but I'll give it a try.

Angelskates -- I cleaned out my PM's. Also, your email bounced because it exceeded my space quota. It actually looked around 9+Meg. Let me try Kelton's suggestion tonight, and then I'll get back to you. Thank you so much for trying!

Pat

angelskates
02-08-2005, 08:15 AM
It took 20 minutes to upload and then bounced :twisted:

:giveup:

Kelton, since you seem to know stuff, how do I download protected files to my MP3? It downloads onto my computer fine and looks like it downloads to my MP3 but then it doesn't play. :( Completed unrelated, I know....sorry peoples!

InsideAxel
02-08-2005, 08:32 AM
It took 20 minutes to upload and then bounced :twisted:

:giveup:

Kelton, since you seem to know stuff, how do I download protected files to my MP3? It downloads onto my computer fine and looks like it downloads to my MP3 but then it doesn't play. :( Completed unrelated, I know....sorry peoples!

Angelskates...do you mean protected WMA, AAC or M4P files? If so, I think you'll have to manually convert them with a method similar to above. If you are using an iPod, AAC and M4P files will transfer and play on them I think, but WMAs must be converted. The flip side if you are using a PC-based player (Rio, Nike, etc) they will not play AAC or M4P, but will play MP3 and some WMAs. It all gets very confusing. :frus:

Hope that helps!

Kelton

sk8pics
02-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Kelton,
Thanks for your help! It worked fine. Now I just have to decide how to cut it. Well, that and discuss it with my coach. And BTW, now that I know who you are from skaternum's pictures, you did great at the New Year's competition!

Iceangel,
Thanks for trying to help! I appreciate it, and if I can ever return the favor, please let me know.

Pat

angelskates
02-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Pat - can you give me my lutz back?

pennybeagle
02-08-2005, 08:25 PM
I have never tested a program before. I am looking to test adult bronze and silver. Gold will have to wait, maybe forever. I don't want something too fast. I am looking for something simple, classic and elegant. I am planning flowing, clean choerography, no jump footwork. I want something dignified and mature with some good place to insert outrageous spins.

I will try Soulseek. Sounds like what I was looking for.

Kay

Kay,

Soundtracks are the easiest place to start. There are a LOT of pieces that are around 2 minutes long (some exactly 1:40), and if it's not for competition, then...generic might be best (it's easiest to skate to). The only spins I ever hear in music are laybacks and scratch spins (I generally hear spirals, spread eagles/bauers, and footwork...the other spins and jumps are incidental).

Here are just a few that I have in my iTunes library...you can probably download these tracks somewhere (from file sharing or through purchase):

"Hope and Memory" from the Return of the King soundtrack. Running time is 1:45, but that includes the 6-second fade out. There are a few changes in tempo, but in general, it's not too fast, and doesn't need cutting...not too many highlights, though, unless you count the familiar "Gondor" theme as a highlight.

"The Red Violin" from the Red Violin soundtrack. 1:34, fades out around 1:30. Includes the main theme and a nice build up. This assumes that you don't mind skating to MK's music from a few years back.

There are about 8 pieces from the English Patient soundtrack that are under two minutes, and most of them are slow/flowy, but don't necessarily have highlights.

Now, for classical pieces, you can look through ballet music (lots of cuts of pieces under 2 minutes). Most likely, your local public library will have some CDs...

"Chinese Dance" from Gliere's Red Poppy suite is about 2 minutes even... this is more of a character piece, but it's a fully realized dance number...aching for a fast blur spin at the end. I think my recording is of Marcal conducting the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, but I am not sure).

Chopin's Etude Op 10 no1 is fast, but very sweeping in character. If you have good speed, fast spins, and a big spiral or spread eagle/bauer this might work. (1:56, approx 1:53 playing time)

Ditto Etude Op 10, no 9. This one has slightly more change of character within the piece than Op10 No1. (2:06, approx 2:02 playing time)

Etude Op.25, no.1 is gorgeous, very flowy, gentle. Ann-Patrice McDonough skated a short program to this a few years ago. It screams out "pretty layback spin right at the end." I was thinking about using this for a competitive silver free sometime. I would imagine light, quiet edges are necessary to pull this off well. (2:12, can easily be cut to around 2:06)
My recordings of the Chopin Etudes are by Maurizio Pollini. Other pianists (Kissin) play some of them faster. Or slower (Rubinstein).

I cut a piece of a Brahms Hungarian Dance (no 27, I think) for my test bronze. I used a tape recorder and a CD player. The piece had a slow section, a repeat of the slow section, and then a fast section. I cut out the first slow section by starting the recording on the repeat, and it was an even 1:40.

There are numerous new age pieces that are short (or very cuttable, even the old-fashioned way with the pause button on a tape recorder). My competitive bronze program was to some random piece by Secret Garden. I am not so knowledgeable about new age music, though, so no further comment.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your tests. You DO have to jump and do footwork for the test...even if the programs aren't for competition, it's a good idea to abide by the "well-balanced program" guidelines in the USFSA rulebook.

sk8pics
02-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Pat - can you give me my lutz back?

LOL! :lol: :lol: If only I had one to give! :roll:

kayskate
02-11-2005, 03:08 PM
pennybeagle:
Thanks for all of the ideas. I will save your message.

Kay

kayskate
02-11-2005, 03:10 PM
You DO have to jump and do footwork for the test...even if the programs aren't for competition, it's a good idea to abide by the "well-balanced program" guidelines in the USFSA rulebook.

Yes, of course. I can do all of the basic jumps and footwork. My idea is to include cool spins b/c that is my strength. I would also like to do a big loop or flip b/c those are my fav jumps.

Kay

Melzorina
02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
It's actually http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I was about to suggest that. We've been playing about with it at school in my GCSE ICT class, it's quite cool and easy to use! I might download it now actually...

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2005, 03:32 AM
I was about to suggest that. We've been playing about with it at school in my GCSE ICT class, it's quite cool and easy to use! I might download it now actually...I thought you were going to get up early and skate? Downloading software in the wee small hours isn't going to help you do that!

(I downloaded it earlier in the week, and have had a play - it's good. But it led me to download Openoffice.org, too.... and so it goes!).

spinningtiger
02-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Music Editing Programme!!!
I Use Gold Wave It Is Real Easy There Is A Free Demo You Can Download And Then Alter Music If You Need To Pm Me If You Have Any Difficulties

:)

Melzorina
02-16-2005, 12:39 PM
I thought you were going to get up early and skate? Downloading software in the wee small hours isn't going to help you do that!

(I downloaded it earlier in the week, and have had a play - it's good. But it led me to download Openoffice.org, too.... and so it goes!).

The time hasn't been right! I swear on my life I will go! I'm going to get my blades sharpened this week while I have no lesson, so won't go on patch, because there's a mile long queue of people waiting to go on public afterwards and I won't get served and miss my train and so forth...

Perhaps next week? OOH! SHIBBY! I have an interview for the job I applied for....

Mrs Redboots
02-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Perhaps next week? OOH! SHIBBY! I have an interview for the job I applied for....Excellent! I hope you get it, so you can help to fund your skating. Just for goodness sake don't let your schoolwork slip, it's such a vital year for you!

Melzorina
02-16-2005, 02:10 PM
I won't, I PROMISE!
I'll work extra hard to make everyone, including you, Annabel, happy :)!

But waaa more skating... Waaaaaaaa! :) :) :) :) :)

Mrs Redboots
02-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Do I take it you got the job, or don't you know yet?

Melzorina
02-17-2005, 11:11 AM
I haven't had my interview yet, I'm just pondering about ifs and buts etc. My interview is on Monday so wish me luck!
I was just thinking about all the lessons I could have if this goes through!!!

samba
02-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Best of luck Mel, Must go its 5.55am and I need to get ready to rock.

Cheers
Grace

Melzorina
02-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks Samba.

xx