View Full Version : 80s music program

Aussie Willy
02-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Anyone done one?

I am wanting to do one for an artistic and have quite a few pieces of music in mind, but anyone done a program or have any suggestions for music?

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2005, 04:37 AM
I once did an artistic programme to Fame.

InsideAxel
02-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Perhaps my response belongs in the "Vastly inappropriate music," but I once skated to Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" when I was 16. It was of course instrumental, and a remix version at that, but it had that unmistakable baseline and everyone knew it was the track that was at the center of a maelstrom at the time.

I remember my coach choreographed one move specifically that I loved so much; outer-forward camel (this was roller btw) to inner-back sit, to outer-back sit to outer-back scratch while playing "air drums" on the back scratch. That was the only program I really enjoyed when I skated as a kid.

Good luck!

Kelton

Mel On Ice
02-07-2005, 09:36 AM
skated to Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me with Sciene!" complete with lab coat, hot pink Einstien t-shirt, and my hair done up in 10 pink ponytails, each with a Christmas light stuck in it, the ponytail above my forehead blinking.

I did well with it, competing both ISI and USFSA.

flippet
02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to think...last '80's weekend' on one of my local radio stations, they were playing lots of stuff that I thought would be great for skating. Of course, now I can't remember much of what!

I always like the sound of New Order...a friend did a gymnastics floor routine to an instrumental of Bizarre Love Triangle that was really nice, and it would probably work well for skating too. And then, I always like Peter Gabriel. Someone needs to do a kick-*** version of 'Steam'...I wish Kurt Browning would pick this! 8O

pennybeagle
02-08-2005, 12:15 AM
This might also go under "vastly inappropriate," but...

There is a teenager doing a competitive freestyle program to "Flashdance" (instrumental parts only, but it's obvious when you hear it). Dunno what the costuming is going to be...

2salch0w
02-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm trying to think...last '80's weekend' on one of my local radio stations, they were playing lots of stuff that I thought would be great for skating. Of course, now I can't remember much of what!

I always like the sound of New Order...a friend did a gymnastics floor routine to an instrumental of Bizarre Love Triangle that was really nice, and it would probably work well for skating too. And then, I always like Peter Gabriel. Someone needs to do a kick-*** version of 'Steam'...I wish Kurt Browning would pick this! 8O

I'm chiming in late here, but I'm just so impressed to find a mention of New Order! They have many songs that would be great for skating. I'm considering using an extended mix of Blue Monday that's about 2 minutes for my freestyle next season. It is all instrumental except for some "ahhhhs". They were such a great group.

I've also thought about doing some of the cornier 80s stuff to make it funny, like "Our House" by Madness or some Flock of Seagulls songs.

Tim

Aussie Willy
02-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks you guys - you are all certainly on my wave length. Mel - that program sounds fantastic - would you be offended if I borrowed it?? I had been thinking about Thomas Dolby but one of his other hits "Hyperactive".

I am a big New Order fan (I actually saw them years ago and thought they were c*ap but I like their stuff so much I forgave them). But when I put their music on at the rink as background I don't really get into it for skating. But 2salcow - I would love to see what you do with "Blue Monday".

I have been thinking about maybe a combination with "Tainted Love", the intro to "Living on the Ceiling" and maybe "Planet Earth" or "Money" by the Flying Lizards.

Then there is the 80s girl thing with Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and something else. Oh what is a girl to do!!!! 8O

As for Kurt Browning - I have already picked his new music - a cover of "Black Betty" by an Aussie band called Spiderbait - it absolutely kicks a**se and I could see him doing fabulous footwork.

singerskates
02-13-2005, 08:23 PM
You have seen the movie The Cutting Edge, right? It has alot of classic 80's music choices in it. What about the B52's and Love Shack or one of their other 80's hits? Also you'll get an idea of what people wore in the 80's from the movie and the way they wore their hair. If you're going to do 80's music for a skating program why not go all the way?

Have you tried Real Audio to check out 80's music? You can do a search there and listen to get an idea of what you really want. Then go to the library to borrow the CD.

Brigitte a.k.a. singerskates a.k.a. singnskate a.k.a. CAS Group Owner.....

Aussie Willy
02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Singerskates - I grew up in the 80s so I know the fashion pretty well because I wore it ;) And I have a collection of 80s CDs which I really enjoy too. But just looking for a bit of inspiration because there might be a piece of music that I hadn't thought of.

In fact "The Wedding Singer" is priceless when it comes to 80s music and fashion and watching it brought back so many memories.

jp1andOnly
02-13-2005, 09:19 PM
my brothers program was the pet shop boys.

My program had music from top gun :)

Mel On Ice
02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks you guys - you are all certainly on my wave length. Mel - that program sounds fantastic - would you be offended if I borrowed it?? I had been thinking about Thomas Dolby but one of his other hits "Hyperactive".

Offended? I would take it as a compliment. I even have a spare set of the battery-powered lights I'd send you if you wanted them. PM me and I can send you a jpeg of what my costume looked like on ice.