View Full Version : 3 Jumps no longer a mistery.

singerskates
02-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi all my English skatng pals. I've heard you all talk about 3 jumps forever bbut I never knew what they were until today when I was teaching CanSkate. I never run across them before today. All three jumps are are jumps that take off and land on the same foot with only a half rotation. It's like you do the three turn in the air.

Now I know the difference between a 3 jump and a waltz jump. Both are half rotational jumps but 3 jumps take off and land on the same foot and waltz jumps take off on one foot and land on the other foot.

3 jumps are rather easy to do.

Brigitte

jp1andOnly
02-05-2005, 09:56 PM
they are very basic. The should have shown them to during your training when you were learning to be a program assistant for canskate.

Hi all my English skatng pals. I've heard you all talk about 3 jumps forever bbut I never knew what they were until today when I was teaching CanSkate. I never run across them before today. All three jumps are are jumps that take off and land on the same foot with only a half rotation. It's like you do the three turn in the air.

Now I know the difference between a 3 jump and a waltz jump. Both are half rotational jumps but 3 jumps take off and land on the same foot and waltz jumps take off on one foot and land on the other foot.

Brigitte

sk8er7
02-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I use the 3 jump to teach our more advanced little skaters (working on axels and trying to get the skid for axel take-off) have the child bring there knee/foot through so they can see the toe of there white/black skate and when they see their toe they can jump... it works well to help teach a skid to.. make sure they skid and see their toe before they jump, it has worked wonders in our sk8ing club, i used it myself when i was learning to do my axel!:) :D

TashaKat
02-06-2005, 03:19 AM
Hi :D

I love that jump. I'm not sure what it's called in the UK but it's nice when done well.

Over here the 3-jump is the same thing as the Waltz Jump though your 3-jump actually makes more sense as it IS more like a 3-turn in that you don't change feet :)

It's good to learn something new isn't it? :D

NickiT
02-06-2005, 03:54 AM
As Tashakat has said, a three jump is the British name for a waltz jump. As for the jump you are describing, that's not a three jump. I'm not sure what the name for that jump is.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2005, 04:36 AM

BrigitteEr - no - in the UK when we say a 3-jump, we mean exactly the same thing as you in North America mean when you say a waltz jump. Similarly a cherry flip is a toe loop, a drag is a lunge, a one-footed slalom is an edge pull, a parallel spin is a camel spin and so on.

There is absolutely no difference in the elements, just in the terminology!

kayskate
02-06-2005, 08:12 AM
In the US what the original poster is describing is called a 3jump. It is a jumped 3turn. It makes a good entrance into a sal.

Kay

Hann
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
i know the 3 jump, as a 3 jump... i knew it had different names, but like i didnt know what they were.. so i think ill just stick to knowing it as a 3 jump.

Hann

dbny
02-06-2005, 02:03 PM
In the US what the original poster is describing is called a 3jump. It is a jumped 3turn. It makes a good entrance into a sal.

Kay

I've never heard it called anything but a jumped 3.

slusher
02-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Canskate terminology is not figure skating specific. ie, "forward power jump" is a bunny hop, "rotating power jump" is a waltz jump. The 3 jump that we're talking about is "one foot jump forward to backward", but coaches still call them bunny hops, 3 jumps and waltz jumps. If you ever have a chance to go to a regional Canskate clinic, go. There's lots of ideas.

AnnM
02-07-2005, 10:53 AM
When I first learned the jumped 3-turn move, my coach called it a "Flying 3-Turn".

Casey
02-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Ahh but can you do the Super Flying Butterfly Camel Triple Twirly Waltz Special Surprise?

I went to a rink Friday night where some young teenagers kept yelling at me to do a "triple twirly". They kept at it even though I ignored them, and every 5 or 10 minutes I would hear "Do a triple twirly!!!" *sigh*.

Then yesterday I was goofing around doing "2-foot 3 jumps", that is, jumping off both feet and doing a half turn and landing backwards on both feet, just for kicks, and then this group of about 10 grade school girls started chanting "jump, jump, jump, jump..." So I did a waltz and they all let out a huge cheer. It was quite funny. :)

AshBugg44
02-08-2005, 02:24 AM
On that note, I love it when kids go "DO A FLIP!" We get this a lot because we skate in a mall so there's always brats watching. So one of us will do a flip and they will say "NO A BACK FLIP!" If they are talking to my friend Daniela who can do all her single jumps the other way, she will then proceed to do a back flip. Then they say something along the lines of "NO DO A BACK FLIP LIKE THIS" and motion it, to which we answer "Oh that? I can't do that." Great fun. :D