View Full Version : Choreography Approaches

Isk8NYC
02-04-2005, 08:35 PM
What are some of the ways you choreograph programs? Shows/exhibitions should be done differently than competitions, because of the required elements.

For shows, I like to pick 2-3 "Fancy" maneuvers than show the skater's strengths, then fill in what the music tells me. I drive my family crazy listening over and over to the same piece while I scribble frantically, trying to remember my inspirations.

For competitions with required elements, I get really strange: I write each element on a sticky note. Then, I listen to the music and "arrange" the program on paper over and over. (Again, HEADPHONES, Moooommmm!) Finally, try it out on the ice and tune it with the skater.

I'd like to try some new techniques -- tell us how you do it!

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2005, 05:42 AM
<grin> My coach's next-door neighbour once told me that she always knew when they were doing new music for their skaters as she could hear the same piece through the wall, over and over again!

For show numbers, they do try to cast the number so that their star skaters are shown off, and the others do very simple moves, often on two feet but with arm movements and facial expressions to bring out what was going on. In a circus number, the kids who *could* do handstands or cartwheels, did; those who couldn't, just came running out gaily dressed.

The show number I was in was similar - our moves were very simple, but what made it good was that we really worked at keeping together.

I do most of my own choreography, being an adult, and tend to take my music to the rink on cassette, so I can use headphones (I must buy a cheap portable CD player), and just move about until something emerges. Then the coach tweaks it!

dbny
02-06-2005, 01:11 PM
For competitions with required elements, I get really strange: I write each element on a sticky note. Then, I listen to the music and "arrange" the program on paper over and over. Finally, try it out on the ice and tune it with the skater.

I love that technique; what a great idea!