View Full Version : Dilemma: NY Winter Classic

Raine
02-04-2005, 01:23 PM
According to the tentative schedule, my event is on Sunday morning. I called Chelsea Piers and evidently there's no freestyle practice ice on Sunday mornings. If I can't find practice ice, I will probably withdraw, based on my past experiences in this type of situation. I know other competitors who can skate well without same-day practice, but I'm not one of them! :(

I hate to withdraw as I've enjoyed this competition in the past. If anyone knows of venues (preferably indoors) that might have ice, pls let me know.

Thanks,
Raine

daisies
02-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't know you, but I think you should still try to skate. Don't use the "no practice ice" as a crutch; if you do, you won't improve. You won't accomplish anything by withdrawing, but you may surprise yourself and accomplish something by staying in.

But one thing is for sure .... you have to want to do it. If you go in with a negative attitude, you've already lost the battle.

Good luck!

Raine
02-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I appreciate the kind words, Daisies.

I guess I'm trying to be realistic about my abilities.

At a typical practice session, it takes at least fifteen minutes of stroking and edgework before I feel that my feet are under me. That's without competition nerves, judges and an audience. Some adult skaters don't need the preparation, but I definitely do. ;)

Regards,
Raine

daisies
02-04-2005, 02:11 PM
This won't help for this weekend's competition, but maybe after that you could start forcing yourself to warm up faster. Say, warm up for 10 or 12 minutes instead of 15, and then go through your program; you may not do everything in the program at first, but it will get you used to doing it sooner, and you can work your way up to doing all the elements. Work on that until you feel it getting better, and then reduce your warmup to, say, 8 minutes. This may take a while for you to get used to, but then by the time your next competition rolls around, you may feel more confident if you can't practice beforehand.

flippet
02-04-2005, 02:48 PM
This won't help for this weekend's competition, but maybe after that you could start forcing yourself to warm up faster. Say, warm up for 10 or 12 minutes instead of 15, and then go through your program; you may not do everything in the program at first, but it will get you used to doing it sooner, and you can work your way up to doing all the elements. Work on that until you feel it getting better, and then reduce your warmup to, say, 8 minutes. This may take a while for you to get used to, but then by the time your next competition rolls around, you may feel more confident if you can't practice beforehand.

That's actually a great idea. Make sure your body's well warmed up before-hand, off-ice, but then train yourself to shorten up your on-ice warmup.

daisies
02-04-2005, 03:01 PM
I just realized you are talking about the competition in 2 weeks and not the new year's competition this weekend -- that means you have two weeks to try to adapt to this situation! I would suggest that the next time you skate, just try to warmup for a shorter amount of time -- just to see what happens. The more you do it, the easier it will get, I promise!!!

Good luck!

Raine
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Once I tried a five-minute warmup before a program runthrough and it was disastrous, but I'll try 12 minutes at my next practice session. Am I unusual in having this difficulty? I have to be warmed up even to do half-decent crossovers. I do an off-ice warmup, but it doesn't help me to feel a sense of control on the ice. My first few strokes on the ice **always** feel shaky and off the mark, and forget about doing good forward crossovers around that first corner. It's pathetic! :oops: I did bring this last problem to my coach's attention and we started working on it, but it could take months or even years to correct.

On a 7:00 a.m. practice session (the first session of the day), I watched a teenage skater skate only one lap, then launch into a double-toe loop and a blindingly fast flying camel. No warmup, just one lap around the rink. And at that hour of the day. Amazing what other people can do!

Cheers,
Raine

dbny
02-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Once I tried a five-minute warmup before a program runthrough and it was disastrous, but I'll try 12 minutes at my next practice session. Am I unusual in having this difficulty? I have to be warmed up even to do half-decent crossovers. I do an off-ice warmup, but it doesn't help me to feel a sense of control on the ice. My first few strokes on the ice **always** feel shaky and off the mark, and forget about doing good forward crossovers around that first corner. It's pathetic! :oops: I did bring this last problem to my coach's attention and we started working on it, but it could take months or even years to correct.

I'm 57, and I attribute my need for a long warmup to my age, but there are definitely times when I get on the ice and everything feels right immediately, even without a warmup. One strategy that helps me warm up faster is to do F and B crossovers in slow motion, as if I am demo-ing for a student. I discovered it by accident, and then read later that it helps. I do three or four circles of each, not the figure eight pattern.

Good luck at the competition should you decide to go ahead.

Isk8NYC
02-04-2005, 08:27 PM
It's pretty time-consuming to travel with skates and costumes, etc. but Rockefeller Center has an 8:30-11am session on Sunday mornings, but it's outdoor ice in Midtown. You'd need to allow 20 minutes for travel to Chelsea Piers. Here's the link: http://www.therinkatrockcenter.com/sessionsrates.html

Other than that, you'd need to leave Manhattan, which means adding travel time to your schedule. If you have a car, there are rinks in New Jersey, Brooklyn, and Staten Island that you could get to, but again, you're dealing with travel time.

You could also try calling the Wollman or Lasker Rinks in Central Park. Ask if they have morning freestyle or public sessions. http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/

Good luck.

Raine
02-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I guess my plan is to practice reducing my on-ice warmup time as much as possible, and get myself to Rockefeller Center, weather permitting. I've skated there before, so that'll reduce the stress level somewhat.

dbny makes a good point. I'm 50 and I definitely feel I need a longer warmup than I would at 30.

Cheers,
Raine

saras
02-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Personally, I don't think you "gain" anything by withdrawing - you don't get the money back, etc. So just do it for the experience - increase your off-ice warmup so you get on the ice with ready to go warmed muscles - even try some off ice stuff that emulates edges (visualizing ice etc.). And then just skate for fun.

Besides, I'm on the injured list and can't skate, but I'll be there to watch and cheer - so skate!

Sara

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Whether or not you get to skate elsewhere, do make sure you warm-up really, really thoroughly off-ice before you are called to your on-ice warm-up. It really does help. Once you are dressed, make-up and hair done, and skates on - don't stand still. I know it's tempting, but just keep moving - you don't have to be running up and down (in skates? I don't think so!), but pick your feet up and shake your ankles, shake your arms out, keep moving your shoulders, waist, knees, hips.... nobody will "look at you funny" as they'll all be doing the same things themselves.

After your warm-up, if you're not the first to skate, do the same thing. Keep moving, keep the blood flowing. Have a drink, of course, and talk to a friend, if you're the sort of skater who prefers to have her mind taken off the ordeal to come! Or stay quiet, if you're that sort of skater. The first moment you're allowed, get on the ice - you mustn't get into position until your name is called, it's not polite to the previous skater, but at most competitions you can get on while the previous skater's marks are being called, usually while the 2nd set are coming, but occasionally the first. Just skate round in a circle near the entrance, doing slow crossovers, until your name is called and you can go to your starting position.

Best of luck, and whatever else happens - have fun!

Thin-Ice
02-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi Raine!

I've seen you skate (we competed at AN a couple of years ago).. and even if all your jumps don't feel comfortable.. when you focus just on what you're doing, you look elegant and calm. You don't have to BE those things.. but you do look them. Think of this event as your Academy Award winning-role, where you play a skater who is wonderful (you are a lovely skater -- that's not acting). You're also powerful -- so just tune out the music, and go through the individual elements in your program and tune back in just before the music ends... so you can finish on time!

DO enter the event. Set a couple of small goals for yourself (i.e. remembering to smile at a certain time, and getting one element just the way you do it in practice) and enjoy yourself.. that's why almost all of us skate. You may surprise yourself at how well you do.. and if not, well, you're still working on the excellent suggestion by Daisies on reducing your needed warm-up time.

And she should know how to make us all look good and improve ourselves. She's one of those REAL hotshot skaters who paces herself and her programs so she can do EVERYTHING she plans in her programs. (And if she doesn't.. she just keeps skating and you probably won't know her body did something her mind had not planned.. unless you hear her talking about it later!)

Are you going to Kansas AN this year? If so, what level? Hope to see you there!

Raine
02-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your support and suggestions, everyone. You rule! :)

Thin-Ice: Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I've gone to the last two ANs, and look forward to going to Kansas. I'll be in Bronze III FS, and look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

Cheers,
Raine

NYCskater
02-05-2005, 08:21 PM
This is the problem with hosting any figure skating event at Chelsea Piers. They have a tyrant of a manager who is so focused on $$$ and hockey that every figure skating competition there has to be crammed into such a tight time period. I was soo upset when I heard that Chelsea Piers was hosting sectionals because I knew all the times would be tight. I just saw the schedule and I see that my official warm-up has both the Gold and Masters men combined and no music played on the session. OUTRAGEOUS!
I hope another club will be willing to host Eastern Sectionals in the future!

daisies
02-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I just saw the schedule and I see that my official warm-up has both the Gold and Masters men combined and no music played on the session. OUTRAGEOUS!

Is that the free 20-minute warmup session the day of your event? If so, there never is music played on those, at any sectional competition. (It's the same as the free 20-minute warmups we get at AN .... no music, unless the music tech people are testing it, in which case they only play the first minute.) They also combine events for these warmups when there are only a few in each group.

And btw they are not even obligated to give you that 20-minute warmup; it's all at the chief referee's discretion ... Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals didn't get them last year.

daisies
02-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Raine, don't forget, too, that you have 2 minutes from the time they call your name to take your starting position. So use that time to stroke around a little bit more. I know it's sort of an anxious moment when they call your name and you feel you have to take your position right away, but really you don't.

Good luck!!!

mikawendy
02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
One strategy that helps me warm up faster is to do F and B crossovers in slow motion, as if I am demo-ing for a student. I discovered it by accident, and then read later that it helps. I do three or four circles of each, not the figure eight pattern.

Good luck at the competition should you decide to go ahead.

For me, forward stroking helps me warm up, in addition to F and B crossovers. Whenever I start a session, I do several laps of stroking in which I really concentrate on feeling my center and pushing with my entire leg (hip, knee, and ankle). Then I do crossover circles and concentrate on as much knee bend as I can handle.

NaomiBeth1
02-07-2005, 10:53 AM
First of all, the schedule for Winter Classic stinks. Whoever made it up must be on something because there is no rhyme or reason to any of the order.

Secondly, all be forewarned...if you do buy practice ice, expect it to be PACKED. I did it once on the morning of winter classic, and promised I would never EVER do it again. You'll get more worked up, and frustrated because there won't be any room to do anything. Plus, I think there may be dancers on the ice in addition to freestylers. Chelsea is not good at accomodating the public.

HelenC
02-09-2005, 12:45 PM
There is a practice session on Sunday at 10:30- 11:20 am on the West Rink at Chelsea Piers for the competition. It's $20. It's true that it will probably be crowded.

There is also ice at Prospect Park FSC in the Wollman Rink in Brooklyn on Sunday mornings 8:00-9:30 am. USFSA members could guest. Usual fee is $18, but 10% off for new people. You could hand in your tape and skate your programs. The rink is about 1 1/2 times a regulation rink, and there is plenty of space. Free parking right next to the rink.
http://prospectparkfigureskatingclub.org/

Good luck to everyone!

Raine
02-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi, HelenC.

Is this for SCNY members only? I just called Chelsea Piers and they confirmed that there is indeed a session, and to call back tomorrow. This is contrary to what both the SCNY and Sky Rink told me in the last couple of days, but I'll skate no matter how crowded it is. When I made my earlier phone calls, I said that I was participating in Winter Classic, but was told there was no ice available, so it makes me wonder...

Thanks much!!! :)

Cheers,
Raine

HelenC
02-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi Raine,

The Sunday 10:30 session at Sky Rink is for the competition, and is open to everyone. It's possible that the desk people in the afternoons are not as familiar with the freestyle sessions. I'll let the planners know that there was some confusion.

I understand how you feel. I need a very long warm up due to age (52) and injuries.

I hope you have a great skate and a good time!

Looking forward to meeting you,
Helen C. (Silver III, Interp III)

Raine
02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much, Helen! Bless you for providing this information! I hope to see your Interp (as a spectator). Good luck!

And a big THANK YOU to everyone who responded to this thread. :)

Cheers,
Raine

NYCskater
02-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Is that the free 20-minute warmup session the day of your event? If so, there never is music played on those, at any sectional competition. (It's the same as the free 20-minute warmups we get at AN .... no music, unless the music tech people are testing it, in which case they only play the first minute.) They also combine events for these warmups when there are only a few in each group.

And btw they are not even obligated to give you that 20-minute warmup; it's all at the chief referee's discretion ... Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals didn't get them last year.

I guess the Skating Club of Central New York last year in Syracuse must have done an exceptional job in making sure that there was official practice ice on the friday before for each group with music included. The Chelsea Piers rink manager would never allow for more ice on a Friday
Nationals also had the official ice last year with the music as well.

Judging from the amount of time given to both the Gold and Masters skaters, this "official warmup" should be almost as crowded as the 7am and 8am public sessions - oops I mean freesyle sessions.

I love the NY Winter Classic, but I hope that Eastern Sectionals will be held somewhere else next year. Everything about Chelsea Piers has become figure skating unfriendly.

manleywoman
02-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I've heard the SkyRink is BRUTALLY cold . . . that I can actually deal with, but I'm wondering if the ice is more hard and brittle as a result? Anyone?

sk8pics
02-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I skated in the Winter Classic last year and while it was freezing cold, the ice felt great. Fast and somewhat springy. I loved it. Just had to remind myself not to push so hard because I'm used to skating on less-than-pristine ice!

Pat

daisies
02-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I guess the Skating Club of Central New York last year in Syracuse must have done an exceptional job in making sure that there was official practice ice on the friday before for each group with music included.
Sounds like that was an anomaly, but good for them! :)

Nationals also had the official ice last year with the music as well.
My official practice didn't ... only one minute of music was played as the music techs tested it. Official warmups are always only 20 minutes, so, depending on the program length of an event, you'd never get everyone's program in if you have more than four or five skaters in a group, and that wouldn't be fair. That's the rationale for no music on official warmup. I could see it happening in a men's group though, because those groups are typically smaller.

coskater64
02-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I skated at the winter classic last year and it was absolutely freezing and I had on 3 layers and hiking leggings. I took me almost an hour to warm up in the ladies locker room. The ice is very good but the one side of windows while pretty makes the rink seem smaller. I had trouble w/ turning around and being blinded by the view. The ice is springy and you should go out on the practice just to get your bearings.

Good luck

la

climbsk8
02-12-2005, 09:20 PM
So, I'm just now gluing stones on my dress for Sectionals....and I read that I'm heading to a sub-arctic meat locker next weekend to compete.

The dress I'm working on has one ballet shoulder strap and one tank-mesh shoulder strap. I'm turning blue just thinking about skating in it.

I was really hoping that sectionals this year would be a little warmer than Syracuse ... oh well.

HelenC
02-16-2005, 12:06 PM
I skate at Sky Rink 3x a week. The air temperature depends on the weather outside. Yesterday I was fine skating in a T shirt. A few weeks ago when it was freezing out, I had to defrost my toes with a hair dryer. Heating in the locker rooms has improved a lot this year. They are kept warm all the time. The ice is usually hard. I don't think it's brittle. The east rink ice is a bit harder than the west.

The exhibitions around 4pm should be fun. SCNY's Men N Sync, Adult Theatre on Ice from Boston, and Championship skaters will be performing. Wine and Cheese party for everyone after the competition on Saturday.

Hope to see you all there!

climbsk8
02-16-2005, 12:16 PM
OK, now I'm smiling....I'm glad it's not a foregone conclusion that I'll freeze to death. I hope it's warm this weekend!

Raine
02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I've competed at Winter Classic the past two years and both times the rink was absolutely frigid, so I'm happy to hear that they've made some improvements in the locker room at least. Last year, IIRC my group was the last to skate before the resurfacing, so the ice was like broken glass, but I've been training with these conditions in mind. ;)

HelenC
02-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Note changes in schedule posted at www.thescny.org
Exhibitions Sat 5:30, party afterwards, and exhibitions Sun 1:45

Mrs Redboots
02-19-2005, 03:56 AM
Best of luck to all who are competing today & tomorrow - have the most enormous fun, whatever else happens!

Raine
02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Once again, thanks to the SCNY for putting on a nice adult event. The rink was much warmer this year and I so appreciated the practice ice on Sunday (even though I need to figure out a better way of warming up without practice ice). :) There was a manageable number of skaters on the session. It appeared to be a regular club session, except for the significant number of visiting adults. :)

The interps were fun to watch. I liked one skater's margarita costume. It was really funny when her coach (?) inserted a wedge of "lime" into the "rim" of her margarita glass before she went onto the ice. Very cute. One of these days I'll get my act together and do an interp.

Cheers,
Raine

HelenC
02-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi Raine,

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. My husband unexpectedly had to go out of town, so I had my 4 year old, and I couldn't socialize and see a lot of the events. I hope you had a good time!

sk8pics
02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
The interps were fun to watch. I liked one skater's margarita costume. It was really funny when her coach (?) inserted a wedge of "lime" into the "rim" of her margarita glass before she went onto the ice. Very cute. One of these days I'll get my act together and do an interp.

That was a friend of mine! She did have a great costume, didn't she? I'm still waiting for her report!

Pat

Thin-Ice
03-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Hi Raine--

I heard you skated this event very well -- and the judges thought so, too! :lol: Sooooo what did you do to warm up so you could skate that well?

Raine
03-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi, Thin-Ice.

Having a 30-minute practice at Sky Rink only moments beforehand was absolutely crucial. ;)

Bless Helen Chan who informed us of this practice session. :bow:

I drew second to last, which may have helped, too. I was surprised at the results, however, because I left out transitional moves and screwed up the footwork. 8O

I still feel that I'm pretty stiff until I've skated at least 15-20 minutes, however, so I've got to work on that.

Cheers,
Raine