View Full Version : Help please--new practice dress issues

backspin
02-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I got a new dress yesterday that I'd ordered--It fits great. But--it has a mesh insert across the midriff, & I don't know how I can wear tights without the waistband showing!

Any ideas, other than wearing a sweater over the whole thing (which kind of defeats the purpose, provided the rink isn't freezing that day!)??

Here's a photo of the dress: (hope it works)

dress photo (http://starstyled.com/webstore/CloseoutDetail.asp?ProductID_Number=DW0085+BLA+AD+ +)

btw, Starstyled has GREAT prices on their closeout & overstock stuff for practice wear!

dbny
02-01-2005, 08:37 AM
It looks to me like you could just not pull the tights up quite all the way and the top would not show. Have you tried that?

flo
02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
I've also seen low rise tights available.

backspin
02-01-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm afraid if I just don't pull the tights up all the way (or, more likely roll the waistband down) that it would just work its way up as I move around.

Flo, do you remember where you've seen the low rise tights? Sounds perfect!

Skate@Delaware
02-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I have the opposite problem-my tights work their way DOWN as I skate-my buddies laugh cause I'm always 'hitchin' up my tights! :oops:

There is this stuff that you roll on and it holds straps in place (It stays-body adhesive) I saw it at Jo-Annes fabrics and online at Clotilde.com although I've never tried it.

Maybe I should, then I wouldn't have to keep 'hitchin' up!

Terry

fadedstardust
02-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Yeah, low-rise tights, although you could also just pull your tights up all the way to your chest in which case the tights would come up PAST the insert and make you look tanner. ;)

Moto Guzzi
02-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Check a dance store or an online dance catalog to see if they carry the kind of tights that are like a unitard with spaghetti straps. At my dance school, we wear them when we do shows because they create a smooth line with no waistband.

luna_skater
02-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Check a dance store or an online dance catalog to see if they carry the kind of tights that are like a unitard with spaghetti straps. At my dance school, we wear them when we do shows because they create a smooth line with no waistband.

That's exactly what I was just about to suggest. They are still "tights" material, but the band comes all the way up across your chest. Then there are bra-strap like straps that go over the shoulders. We looked at getting these for my synchro team a number of years ago, and I believe Mondor made them at that point. I would be surprised if Danskin didn't have something similar.

LoopLoop
02-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Capezio makes them as well, and they're called "body tights."

flo
02-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi,
I got one pair at Walmart. I have a body tight, from Capezio. I may try another brand. The clear straps are irritating, and the sizes tend to run short.
Also:
Low Rise Convertible Tights (#BW A34) at River's edge dancewear

NickiT
02-01-2005, 10:27 AM
A friend's daughter skates in Holiday on Ice and I noticed in some photos that her tights weren't showing. Her mum told me she just rolled down the the waist band. Not sure how good this works but it may be worth trying.

Nicki

AnnM
02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I'll join those that recommend low-rise tights. I think Nordstrom and other major dept. stores carry a couple different lines like Spanx or DKNY that have low-rise options. Old Navy also did low-rise tights a few winters ago. Check out the stores as soon as you can for the tights because spring season styles/accessories are going to be rolled out pretty soon even though it's still pretty cold everywhere.

flippet
02-01-2005, 02:08 PM
I've always just folded the waistband down over my hips when I wanted a cleaner line across the middle. I set it right on my hips, just above the leg holes, and then tucked any excess tight material down into the tights, if necessary (usually not much). Except for a wicked skin impression upon removal, it's always worked pretty well for me. I've never had it shift, because it hugs even tighter around the hips.

flo
02-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Danskin also makes a low rise.

kittie067
02-01-2005, 08:33 PM
i have also seen body suits.

~kittie

Mrs Redboots
02-02-2005, 06:17 AM
I have the opposite problem-my tights work their way DOWN as I skate-my buddies laugh cause I'm always 'hitchin' up my tights! :oops: Large black underpants, ideally with a tummy-control panel, worn over the top, do wonders for these if you haven't got a dress with an integral underneath.

Backspin's dress is to die for!!!! Oh, how I would love one like that. Maybe if I ordered one, some kind person would allow me to have it posted to their address and bring it to me at Adult Nationals (if we go) or the Mountain Cup (which we are definitely going to, also Oberstdorf).

max
02-02-2005, 06:57 AM
Mondor have just started to stock low waisted tights again.

flo
02-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Mrs. Red - I'd be happy to bring it to you, or make sure it went with someone.
I really like it!

Mrs Redboots
02-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Flo - sadly, I don't think I can take you up on this, as I no longer have any idea at all what size I'd need! I keep thinking I'm still Adult Extra Large, remember I'm not any more, think "Oh well, Adult Large then", remember that I'm buying stuff in Medium here and US sizes are different anyway, and get totally confused..... I really would have to try stuff on, I think. A pity, alas.... But thanks, anyway.

flippet
02-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Wow...I just looked at the dress, and it is gorgeous! And what a fantastic price, too! 8O

Michigansk8er
02-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I love the dress too. I might need one!

Mrs. Redboots...........If you decide you want to give it a try, I can get it for you too. Your best bet is to with the girth measurement. I'm tall, so even when I'm very thin (which isn't right now) I need an AXL to get the length.