View Full Version : Adult Moves?

kar5162
08-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Ok, I have given in. I will be 25 just after the deadline, so I have to test the adult moves (and freestyle to compete as an adult. Despite the ridiculous expense (approximately $50 per test), I have decided to take them as I would like to compete someday. Currently I've passed Juvenile moves and Pre-Juvenile free, so I think I cannot compete any lower than Silver. My current plan is to take all of the moves on the same day (this will save me $50).

I think the first 3 levels should be fine since those are all repeat moves except the slide chasse. I'm working on Intermediate though now, so I don't think that will be too bad. Gold is the question though. Is anyone working on these moves? It's the Novice move I'm not sure about. I haven't actually tried it, but am expecting my 3s to be...well, sloppy/scratchy, at least at first. Passing standard is 0.5 below standard (Novice), but what does that mean? What will be expected at the "Gold" level?

Am I going to be the only one testing these? It seems everyone from my rink is either happy with their current freestyle level or trying to/planning to test up by the end of this month to avoid them.

Kim

Elsy2
08-08-2002, 05:14 PM
There is some good info for you on the USFSA website. Click on the site map, then scroll down to the section on Adult Skating. There is a moves comparison chart available to you that gives you some outlook on expectations for adults.

More info on moves can be found on the Adults Insights website.

Elsy2
08-08-2002, 05:20 PM
I'll try to post the links for you:

http://www.usfsa.org/

http://www.adultinsights.com

click on the article by Maggie Harding....

Ellyn
08-09-2002, 07:41 PM
So I guess it would be pretty pointless to test the standard preliminary moves, and eventually prejuvenile when I'm ready, except to prove that I could, since it wouldn't count for anything in adult competition. Might as well do adult bronze instead, just to get started even though I have tested adult bronze freestyle, and then I'll have to wait till I master those back threes to do any more testing, period.

(Or I guess I could do preliminary moves and preliminary freestyle just to put something out there while I'm waiting for those back threes to gel.)

KJD
08-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Kim,
Unfortunately, I too will probably be testing adult gold moves. My situation is somewhat similar but different. I've taken adult free through silver and regular field moves passed through Juvenile. I'm working on Intermediate now - so the bulk of the gold moves should eventually not be a problem. The one move from Novice is the one I'm worried about too. My understanding from my coaches is that its quite difficult, or so I'm told.

I was planning to take my Gold Free skate August 30 - just on a lark to see if I could pass. Problem for me is that the axel is a pretty new jump - have had it solid, not cheated for about 1.5 months. But its just not consistant under pressure at all. Its to the point where I'm wondering if I should just skip the free skate and concentrate on getting a more consistant axel and take the gold moves in the spring - skate silver another year. Not sure.

Kate

kar5162
08-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by KJD
The one move from Novice is the one I'm worried about too. My understanding from my coaches is that its quite difficult, or so I'm told.

Kate - this is my understanding too. That's why I was wondering what they're expecting at "Gold" compared to Novice. I mean, having attempted this on Sunday, I can say I can complete this pattern, but I know it's nowhere near Novice standard.

Thanks for the link Elys2. I've seen those, but I find it hard to translate those words to actual physical expectations. Such as when they say CW direction will not be of the same quality as CCW, just how much weaker can it be? :) Actually, I do these better the "wrong" way, but still. I have good posture, will that make up for my somewhat icky 3 turns here? I'm assuming it won't be a huge problem as I should have 3.2 on most moves since I'm working towards Intermediate, but you never know.

Of course, I still want an explanation for why it makes sense that there is no standard to adult grandfathering when I will most likely take Intermediate before the adult tests and therefore (when I pass Gold moves) be grandfathered to take a level I've already passed?

Kim

KJD
08-12-2002, 04:13 PM
Kim,
Can't answer the question as to what they expect unfortunately. I'll probably be the first to take the gold moves test in my area, so I don't think even the judges will be entirely sure (at least that's my guess). I haven't started work on the novice move yet because my coaches are going to want me to do intermediate first I think. I've mentioned that the first Novice move is on the gold test to see if we can add it into moves lessons, but they are ignoring it! At least for now.

Kate

flo
08-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi,
Since these moves are not available for testing until September, the Adult standards will be new for the judges as well. I went through most of the gold moves, and I actually like the novice one the best. I'm going to put the end pattern in my artistic program to replace the eagle I can't do now. I have a hard time with the three's, knowing where they go, and what foot I'm on. With the brackets, my coach noted that one foot was definetly smarter than the other. We didn't do the crossover circles yet.

KJD, as far as testing for gold this month, I guess it also depends on what you want to spend time on. If you take it and pass, then the time you would have spent on gold moves can be spent on a gold program. Also remember that passing gold will put you in the master level for interpretive and pairs - if that's a consideration for you. I'm wondering if moves levels will eventually be used to determine interpretive levels.
Good luck whatever you decide.