View Full Version : Vastly inappropriate music: top this!

backspin
01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Little pudgy 7 year old girl in a flouncy pink tu-tu, hair always done in Shirley Temple Ringlets.

Girl has maybe a couple of single jumps, & a bit of a spin.

Skating oh, so dramatically to......

Josh Grobin's, "You Raise Me Up".

:giveup:

I swear, I'll never complain again about every child queing up their Disney soundtrack program.......

flippet
01-31-2005, 08:02 PM
8O

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

daisies
01-31-2005, 08:32 PM
I think I can top it.

Little boys who skate to "Greased Lightning." Sorry, but that song is NOT for kids. Obviously the parents didn't listen to the lyrics!

Even better .... about eight years ago I saw someone skate to a combination of "Jesus Christ, Superstar" and "Schindler's List." Ugh.

Terri C
01-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Supposedly one of the new kids at our rink for our in house ISI competition wanted to skate to "Stacey's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne. Have you heard the lyrics to that one?
This was last spring.

AshBugg44
01-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Wow...the coaches need to say "no"

fadedstardust
01-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Hahahahah I would pay good money to see an innocent little kid skating to "Stacy's Mom". That's hilarious. Meanwhile...."You Raise Me Up" should be reserved to Novice and up. That song is too beautiful to be butchered.

pennybeagle
01-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Those are pretty bad...another bad one I saw was for an ISI program to OutKast's "Hey Ya" done by a 10-year old. (It even freaked me out to think that this song was recorded on one of those "Kids Bop" albums... the lyrics are not so subtle).

AshBugg44
02-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Hahahahah I would pay good money to see an innocent little kid skating to "Stacy's Mom". That's hilarious. Meanwhile...."You Raise Me Up" should be reserved to Novice and up. That song is too beautiful to be butchered.

I beg to differ...my friend is ISI FS 7 and did a beautiful program to that song - it always gave me the chills! I think it should be reserved for 15 and up is more like it...

NickiT
02-01-2005, 05:33 AM
8O Why do the coaches let them do this? Another pet peeve I have is little girls skating to cabaret numbers, wearing full cabaret gear.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2005, 07:43 AM
If I never see another child skating to "All that Jazz", it'll be too soon....

fadedstardust
02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
I beg to differ...my friend is ISI FS 7 and did a beautiful program to that song - it always gave me the chills! I think it should be reserved for 15 and up is more like it...

Isn't ISI 7 pretty close to USFS Novice?

sk8er1964
02-01-2005, 09:49 AM

I think so. For the purposes of determining what level you have to skate as an adult, if you've passed ISI 7 you would be a masters - the USFSA tests to make you masters are Interemdiate and up.

Mel On Ice
02-01-2005, 11:48 AM
ugh to adults skating to Disney

Clarice
02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
My favorite groaner was watching a little kid skate to a medley of stuff from "A Chorus Line" - not bad in and of itself, I guess, but the big ending was to a number called "T*ts and A**" (which she most definitely did not have!). There were no lyrics, of course, but I have to believe that neither her coach nor her mother were aware of what that song was about!

daisies
02-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Another bad one I saw was for an ISI program to OutKast's "Hey Ya" done by a 10-year old. (It even freaked me out to think that this song was recorded on one of those "Kids Bop" albums... the lyrics are not so subtle).
OMG! Please tell me they left out the "Don't want to meet your mama" part!!!!

Awww, I skated to "Circle Of Life" when I was 29. :)

TashaKat
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
8O Why do the coaches let them do this? Another pet peeve I have is little girls skating to cabaret numbers, wearing full cabaret gear.

Nicki

Mmmm, yes, we had a TEN year old in the full cabaret gear, and I MEAN full .... ie with stockings and suspenders (?garter belt in the US). The whole thing was just too old for her (even fishnet tights or even normal tights would have been suspect) but the s&s just made it seriously ICK. What was the coach thinking of? What were her PARENTS thinking of????

Annabel, I have to say that I love 'All That Jazz' but having all the kidlets skating to it definitely spoilt it for me.

TashaKat
02-01-2005, 02:06 PM
I guess, but the big ending was to a number called "T*ts and A**" (which she most definitely did not have!). There were no lyrics, of course, but I have to believe that neither her coach nor her mother were aware of what that song was about!

OMG!!!!

What more can I say?

Re: Circle of Life, I agree, that is one of the few Disney exceptions for adult skating music :) I've seen a teenager do an absolutely fabulous free programme to that music, it was spellbinding, mesmorising and completely wonderful.

AshBugg44
02-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Requirements for FS 7 is a double toe, while Novies are at least working on triples.

Figureskates
02-01-2005, 03:30 PM

I figure if I ever put a program together, I will skate to "Jurrassic Park" since I am old enough to remember that era very well...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Melzorina
02-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Mmmm, yes, we had a TEN year old in the full cabaret gear, and I MEAN full .... ie with stockings and suspenders (?garter belt in the US). The whole thing was just too old for her

Oh my god. I would never EVER wear that to skate in. I wouldn't be caught dead in it, never mind when I was 10!!! That's just WRONG!

Can you even get stockings and suspenders that small?

2loop2002
02-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Requirements for FS 7 is a double toe, while Novies are at least working on triples.
The novice test only requires a double salchow, loop and toe loop, so the jump requirement is similar. The skaters generally compete at novice with "higher" elements than what the level requires. ISI 7 might be the same way. I haven't had much experience with ISI, so I don't know for sure.

AshBugg44
02-01-2005, 06:16 PM
In ISI technical programs, you are ONLY allowed to do what is required for the test. In dramatics, interpretives, etc. there is more leeway. The test requirements may be similar, but a Novice competitor is definately much better than a FS7 competitor.

kittie067
02-01-2005, 08:23 PM
ive seen that skated by a girl and an older lady. ahh!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O

also ive seen adulats skate in very revealing suits they looked very uncomfortabe! :cry:

Lmarletto
02-01-2005, 10:12 PM
A 10yo in 60's vamp costume skating to "These Boots Were Made for Walking"?

Aussie Willy
02-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Oooo very interesting thread.

Well we had one person at one of our adult comps skate to Ricky Martin "She bangs" in a pink fru fru costume with puffy sleeves. So not "She bangs she bangs". It was like the William Hung of skating.

We also had a guy who skated a Three Musketeers program in exactly the same costume that Candelor wore at the Olympics. Not such a big sin but zero points for originality.

I always find it very uncomfortable seeing people skate to Cabaret generally. The song is about someone deciding to have an abortion (as I discovered in a music documentary!!)

Casey
02-02-2005, 04:06 AM
When I started skating, I used to drive north to another rink on Fridays because I wanted to go to a different rink. Well, Fridays were "Christian Night", and there's nothing so disturbing as skating along oblivious to it and suddenly hearing "OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD" being sung at full volume.

I used my invisible earplugs to drown it out...

Mrs Redboots
02-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Mmmm, yes, we had a TEN year old in the full cabaret gear, and I MEAN full .... ie with stockings and suspenders (?garter belt in the US). The whole thing was just too old for her (even fishnet tights or even normal tights would have been suspect) but the s&s just made it seriously ICK. What was the coach thinking of? What were her PARENTS thinking of????That was the child I was thinking of.... but there have been others.
Annabel, I have to say that I love 'All That Jazz' but having all the kidlets skating to it definitely spoilt it for me.Yes, I do too - but I'm a bit bored of it as skating music. Ditto anything from Cats. Except the two routines always do well, I think the judges must know what they are.....

As for Disney - I rather fancy doing an Interp where I'm skating to kids' music, something really, really, really twee like "I can sing a rainbow" or Rolf Harris' "Two little boys" - hey, that would be a good Artistic couples, wouldn't it? - anyway, all dressed up like a small child and sticking my finger in my mouth - or one of those huge pretend dummies.... hey.... ideas coming thick & fast.....

When I started skating, I used to drive north to another rink on Fridays because I wanted to go to a different rink. Well, Fridays were "Christian Night", and there's nothing so disturbing as skating along oblivious to it and suddenly hearing "OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD" being sung at full volume.ROTFL. I know what you mean - at one dance club I go to, they skate a waltz (Golden Skaters', I think) to "Let there be love shared among us", and at Christmas the music for the Arge was "Christians, awake!" which I thought faintly inappropriate.....

kisscid
02-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Then you'd hate my program - just call me Mary Poppins!
Cid

Madame Saccoche
02-02-2005, 07:20 PM
To cshobe ( with love)

Our God is an awesome God,
He reigns from heaven above,
With wisdom, power and love,
Our God is an awesome God!

Too bad you aren't able to hear my friends Rick and Dean do this song, IT ROCKs!!

If you like more of a U-2 feel check out a band called Delerious?

:giveup:

But I digress,

My nominations: "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" by a 12yr old (the girl and her coach both spoke french and had no idea what the lyrics were saying, I told her coach but it was a show piece and it was too late to change it (ain't bilingualism wonderful :roll: ).

"Tango de Roxanne" from Moulin Rouge, 14yr-old skates to a song about a prostitute :roll:

I used to skate to the stage version of Lion King, the music is really great, way more African and interesting than the movie soundtrack.

But I agree, nobody over the age of ten should be skating to "When you wish Upon a Star"

blue111moon
02-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Actually, "When You Wish Upon A Star" was part of the freeskate program I used for much of the 80's and I was way over 10 even then. :)

The cuts came from an old Ferrante and Teicher duel-pianos album and also included the theme from the original Star Trek and the classic "Swingin' on a Star." The dress was black and Royal blue with beaded stars on the top. It was actually one of my better programs and no one ever told me it was inappropriate for me.

I think a lot of the perception of inappropriateness comes from the costuming and presentation, more than the lyrics of the music. Being the staunch Roman Catholic that I am, I sometimes wonder at skaters who elect to skate to hymns and prayers but I figure that as long as they treat the songs with dignity and respect who am I to question their choices?

But I agree that the age of the skater should be taken into consideration when choosing programs. I did wonder what the coach was thinking, for example, when I saw an eight-year old moppet skating to Shania Twain's "Feel Like a Woman."

sk8er1964
02-03-2005, 10:37 AM
I think a lot of the perception of inappropriateness comes from the costuming and presentation, more than the lyrics of the music. Being the staunch Roman Catholic that I am, I sometimes wonder at skaters who elect to skate to hymns and prayers but I figure that as long as they treat the songs with dignity and respect who am I to question their choices?

I agree. I do think that Totminina and Marinen (spelling is mangled, I know) do a wonderful program to Ave Maria.

kisscid
02-03-2005, 11:38 AM
There is a lot of Disney music that I don't consider to be "children's" music. "When you wish upon a star", "Circle of Life" etc in my book are not children’s songs. The theme song to the "Mickey Mouse Club" or "It's a small world" is more geared towards children. Most of Disney's music has won Grammy's and Oscars based on the fact that it's just good music. And they aren't winning in the category of children’s music. Now I would be a little shocked to see an adult skating to "I'm a little tea pot" or the Theme to "Sponge Bob Square pant's", but there is a TON of Disney music, which IS adult, appropriate. I have a soft place in my heart for Disney and I have worked for the company for several years - so I may be a bit biased.
Cid

skaternum
02-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Now I would be a little shocked to see an adult skating to ... the Theme to "Sponge Bob Square pant's" ... Dang it! You just gave away my next Interp theme. Thanks a lot. :D

Mrs Redboots
02-03-2005, 01:22 PM
I think a lot of the perception of inappropriateness comes from the costuming and presentation, more than the lyrics of the music. Being the staunch Roman Catholic that I am, I sometimes wonder at skaters who elect to skate to hymns and prayers but I figure that as long as they treat the songs with dignity and respect who am I to question their choices? Although I know at least one skater who chose to skate to Christian music almost as an act of worship. Not many people knew what she was doing, but even still.

As for Tango de Roxanne, too many adult skaters of my acquaintance use it as their free dance music, and I really get fed up of it! If they want a Tango, it always seems to be either that or Jealousy - nobody else has used On this night of a thousand stars from Evita, which we did when we needed a Tango OD! It was fun... I wouldn't mind trying to do a bit more with it soon.

TashaKat
02-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Ohhhhhhh .... I LOVE Tango de Roxanne :) You need to be quite a strong skater and have good presence on the ice to do it justice though :)

Other things that shouldn't be allowed (IMO):

Adults in Frou Frou, feathers, flounces and frills

Adults in white lycra (I was at one comp where the skater, quite a decent skater, was deducted because of her white lycra outfit ... it didn't leave THAT much to the imagination, I'm sure that she didn't even realise).

AshBugg44
02-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Ahhh that reminds me. An adult at my rink skated to "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"....it was horrible.

Terri C
02-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Now I would be a little shocked to see an adult skating to "I'm a little tea pot" or the Theme to "Sponge Bob Square pant's", but there is a TON of Disney music, which IS adult, appropriate.

I totally agree!
My freeskating program this year is from the Disney made movie "Remember The Titans"- so there!!

The Ice Demon
02-04-2005, 03:20 AM
Umm this is an idea for intreptive/artistic i've had for years but not game enough to do it ! LOL

Has anyone ever seen a programme to "She wore and insy winsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini"???

Thin-Ice
02-04-2005, 04:31 AM
I've seen three different versions of Itsy-Bitsy-Teeny-Weeny-Polka-Dot bikini... and two of them were quite good! Both done by women with great bodies.. including one woman who skated at AN in the II age group (36-45) --and she moved like a teenager! It was adorable. The third version though ... uhm, let's just say it was a better idea than performance.

At 1992 Worlds, the adult female flag carriers (one for each country) were outfitted in white-lycra dresses :oops: and a gold and black sash that did not cover very much.. and that wasn't even the worst of it. They handed out the dresses the night of the dress rehearsal... and the skaters found out the dresses were ordered in CHILDREN's sizes!!! :oops: :oops: It's not pretty seeing a 5' 9" adult try to squeeze into a children's large.. it was a wedgie-fest and terribly uncomfortable. Those who had the sewing skills and brains to react quickly managed to add some extra fabric in the crotch before the next day's actual performance.. but I'm pretty sure ALL those skaters burned those white dresses almost immediately following the opening ceremonies. There may even have been some bonfires in the parking lot.

As for inappropriate music.. I first started skating in the 1980s, in an ISI program where the rink supplied the music to all the lower level skaters. So all Alpha skaters used the same program music, Beta all had the same music, etc. Of course, the program was geared towards children. My first competition I skated at Gamma (along with three children 5-8 years old :oops:) and our music was "London Bridge is Falling Down" 8O -- not only a nursery rhyme.. but why would ANY skating director think it was good to have the word "Falling" in a beginner's program :?: :?: :?:

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Has anyone ever seen a programme to "She wore and insy winsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini"???At least three - two adults and a kid.

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2005, 07:02 AM
I totally agree!
My freeskating program this year is from the Disney made movie "Remember The Titans"- so there!!And one of the ISU tunes for the Starlight Waltz is Tchaikowsky's Waltz from Sleeping Beauty - which Disney adapted into that lovely song, "Once upon a dream"

Melzorina
02-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Has anyone ever seen a programme to "She wore and insy winsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini"???

Did they wear an insy winsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini?

dooobedooo
02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Did they wear an insy winsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini?

... complete with illusion fabric inserts,yellow rhinestones, and boot covers painted to look like flipflops ....?

daisies
02-04-2005, 01:33 PM

Yep, two adults from my region have skated to that.

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2005, 02:01 PM
... complete with illusion fabric inserts,yellow rhinestones, and boot covers painted to look like flipflops ....?I saw that one, but I've also seen it done with the skater quite literally wearing.... wrapped in a large towel. On one occasion, it was a large Union Flag towel, which I'd lent her! On another occasion, the skater wore a towelling robe over her bikini.....

flippet
02-04-2005, 02:45 PM
At 1992 Worlds, the adult female flag carriers (one for each country) were outfitted in white-lycra dresses :oops: and a gold and black sashthat did not cover very much.. and that wasn't even the worst of it. They handed out the dresses the night of the dress rehearsal... and the skaters found out the dresses were ordered in CHILDREN's sizes!!! :oops: :oops: It's not pretty seeing a 5' 9" adult try to squeeze into a children's large.. it was a wedgie-fest and terribly uncomfortable. Those who had the sewing skills and brains to react quickly managed to add some extra fabric in the crotch before the next day's actual performance.. but I'm pretty sure ALL those skaters burned those white dresses almost immediately following the opening ceremonies. There may even have been some bonfires in the parking lot.

Oh.My.Goodness. 8O 8O 8O

What kind of person with an empty skull thought up THAT brilliant idea? Obviously someone whose experience with skating (and costuming, period, for that matter) ran into the negative digits. 8O

Madame Saccoche
02-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Contemplating adult skating to Spongbob Squarepants and having a very scary mental image 8O

Annabel if you want to see the definitive version of Tango de Roxanne watch Pascal Denis and Martine Patenaude dance it at four contenants, it absolutely sizzles.

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Annabel if you want to see the definitive version of Tango de Roxanne watch Pascal Denis and Martine Patenaude dance it at four contenants, it absolutely sizzles.I'd love to, but unless someone can turn it into an MPG, or whatever, and send it to me, no chance! We get so very little skating on television here - amazingly, we did get some of the European championships last weekend, but that is very rare (mind you, Robin Cousins & Jayne Torvill commentating made it rather worthwhile waiting for).

mikawendy
02-07-2005, 09:50 PM
At 1992 Worlds, the adult female flag carriers (one for each country) were outfitted in white-lycra dresses :oops: and a gold and black sash that did not cover very much.. and that wasn't even the worst of it. They handed out the dresses the night of the dress rehearsal... and the skaters found out the dresses were ordered in CHILDREN's sizes!!! :oops: :oops: It's not pretty seeing a 5' 9" adult try to squeeze into a children's large.. it was a wedgie-fest and terribly uncomfortable. Those who had the sewing skills and brains to react quickly managed to add some extra fabric in the crotch before the next day's actual performance.. but I'm pretty sure ALL those skaters burned those white dresses almost immediately following the opening ceremonies. There may even have been some bonfires in the parking lot.

Good grief!!!!! I would have quit on the spot! If anyone finds themselves in this position, they should ask the person handing out said awful costumes to put one on and walk around the arena. Then they'll see what it's like!!

Thin-Ice
02-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Well, by that time everyone had put in FOUR months of practicing twice a week and it was a GREAT honor to be chosen to perform at the World Championships in any capacity. Besides, everyone who took part then thinks it makes a GREAT story now... kind of like the closing ceremony story: There were indoor fireworks (which had not been done at an event like this before). Those were not used during dress rehearsal.. the cost being prohibitive. Everyone was warned not to look up when the fireworks went off... so the skaters didn't realize until the actual event that the fireworks showered sparks down on the ice and skaters. They burned big holes in the ice dancers' big-and-poufy polyester skirts. Since all this happened more than 10 years ago, now everyone laughs at what happened then.