View Full Version : how much time do you spend at the rink???

figure_skater
01-30-2005, 04:19 PM
hi! yah i'm just wondering how much time all of you guys/girls put in for practicing each WEEK. Thanx! :halo: 8-) :) :P ;) :D

icedancer2
01-30-2005, 05:17 PM
I assume you mean how many hours ?

fadedstardust
01-30-2005, 07:00 PM
18 hrs even, but that's not counting off-ice stuff which adds on another 2 hrs per day.

iskatealot
01-30-2005, 09:20 PM
wow you are sooo lucky that u get that much ice time!!! omg Id be amazing if I got that much time....unfortunatly Im limited to 9 hours and they cancelled off ice because there were only 5 people showing up!!!

jazzpants
01-30-2005, 11:43 PM
YIKES!!! I'm embarrassed to admit that I only spend about 6-7 hours per week on ice. I wish I could handle more but I'm not getting any younger and when I was working it was eating up skating time. But... I do go to the gym to work out on days I don't skate. (Those who has seen me will tell you that I'm very fit...)

Now that I'm unemployed, I try to go to the afternoon public sessions b/c it's empty, but I can't always count on that either b/c sometimes my rink has middle school and high school field trips at the rink. I do the best I can financially to get in quality ice time though.

NickiT
01-31-2005, 03:01 AM
Generally six and a half hours.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
01-31-2005, 04:17 AM
There's a difference, I find, between being at the rink and actually working! I'm probably there about 10-11 hours each week, but probably only skating for 8-9 of those hours.... I am getting old and do need a break!

Skate@Delaware
01-31-2005, 05:34 AM
Like Annabel, I'm there about 10 hours a week but not skating 100% of the time (talking, taking a break, drinking water, bathroom break, getting warm break, etc).

I am also there at other times as: hockey mom, daughter's skate mom, and now spring show costume lady <g>.

Shinn-Reika
01-31-2005, 09:42 AM
5 days *1.5 hrs = 7.5 hrs a week. That's as much as I can afford to go (because all of those sessions are free). Man I thought that was a lot. I honestly don't know if I'll skate that much once I get a job. I can barely keep it together as it is.

CanAmSk8ter
01-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Roughly 10 hours on my own, plus off-ice four days a week. For synchro, we have 2 hours on ice, plus 2-4 hours off-ice, plus whatever additional ice time our coach can beg, borrow, or steal. Some weeks we can't get any extra, other weeks we get lucky and can find another 4-5 hours at another rink somewhere.

During the summer I do more like 12-15 hours on ice and off-ice five days a week. No synchro in the summer.

batikat
01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
I thought I spent a lot of time on the ice but when I add it up it only comes to 5 and a half hours. That includes two half hour lessons so actual 'practice' time is 4 and a half hours on a good week. I'll probably have to cut down a bit until the summer as I have a lot of practical work to get finished for college.

I also spend time at the rink when my kids are on the ice - about another 4 hours but I dont skate on those patches. Hmmmmm - just realised I put in more actual skate time than my kids - so how is it fair that they are so much better than me!!!!??? :??

PattyP
01-31-2005, 02:32 PM
I only spend 3 to 4 hours on the ice currently. :oops: I need to find a way to get a couple more hours, but I hate skating public sessions and there are no FS sessions that I can attend after work. I'm sure I could find more ice time, I'm just being lazy...just ask my coach ;) . I do a lot of off-ice training, 3-4 hours of running, 1 hour of ballet and 1 hour of weight training.

NCSkater02
01-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Right now, 0 hours per week. Normally, 3 1/2-4.

Broken bones bite!

samba
01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Its a bit like asking a smoker how many they smoke, I always say less than I do especially if hubby is around

luna_skater
01-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Synchro: 3 hours on-ice, 3-min off
Skills: Anywhere between 1.5-4 hrs per week. Lately I've been skating twice a week for 1.5-2hrs each time, but when I'm too busy with school I only squeeze one session in.

Last July I skated for 2 hours Mon and Tues afternoons, 30 min Mon-Fri mornings, and 1hr Wed-Friday afternoons. So I guess that's....11.5/week? I was just working on Jr. Silver Skills, no freestyle or dance (finished my dances).

iskatealot
01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
I was just working on Jr. Silver Skills, no freestyle or dance (finished my dances).
Gotta hate those loops........though so far the flying Choctaws are fun.........
(Im on Jr Silver Skills as well) I think Id die without at least a but of freeskate time....

icenut84
02-03-2005, 11:58 AM
About... 2 hours a week :( Practice times either clashing with lectures or, if they're later on, being a lot busier than the daytime ones (with lots of young kids who don't really look where they're going or make way for you, ever). I wish I could practice more often (and have more lessons). Plus I can't skate at weekends. So at the mo, about 2 hours a week.

mikawendy
02-06-2005, 02:01 AM
Usually I can get in 4 hours max--two 45-minute sessions in which I have practice and lessons, and three 50-minute sessions. I try to work for every minute of the sessions, especially since I usually wind up waiting for traffic to clear to do some things--we don't have separate MIF and FS sessions, so there a lot of people on lesson on their moves patterns, and most of our FS sessions aren't leveled, so there are people just starting out on the same ice as people working on doubles in lesson.

This may sound gross, but I keep a folded kleenex tucked in my leotard sleeve so that I don't have to stop to go get kleenex. :D

I used to do more off ice (Pilates 1x/wk, running 2x/wk, weights/pushups 1x/wk), but my work schedule and skating schedule have been interfering with this, much to my chagrin. :twisted:

I almost always try to have one day completely off, and I also try not to skate 2 days in a row (my knees get more crunchy...)

Aussie Willy
02-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Maybe you should also ask the question - how much time do you spend talking on the ice? :lol: