View Full Version : Flying Camel:HELP!

ilfs
01-30-2005, 03:40 PM
i am having trouble doingmy flying camel for some reason i keep doing an axel instead of the flying camel can any 1 help me?? :cry:

iskatealot
01-30-2005, 03:48 PM
What???????????????????????? :??

starskate6.0
01-30-2005, 06:34 PM
i am having trouble doingmy flying camel for some reason i keep doing an axel instead of the flying camel can any 1 help me?? :cry:

I do enough flying during the week 8O and Iv given up on the camel spin, flying or not..Iv decided to put my camel out to the desert... :lol:

Sorry im not much help... :cry: :giveup:

NoVa Sk8r
01-30-2005, 06:47 PM
The flying camel is my favorite element in skating! (That's not to say it's my best.)
Anyway, your post makes no sense. An axel? Something askew is defintiely afoot there. Ususally, people end up doing something akin to a flying salchow when they wonk it up.

Can you please provide some info on what exactly you're doing with respect to your entrance and the landing? Are you doing the flying camel from back crossovers or from the right forward inside 3-turn? ...

fadedstardust
01-30-2005, 07:04 PM
You're doing an axel into it? I mean I could see doing a waltz jump instead, but axel? You have major issues there, haha. Ask your coach, only they can tell you what is wrong. I will venture to say, though, that you are probably not jumping outside of the circle, which is what you should be doing. And clearly if you're getting into the backspin position needed for the axel- you're landing your jump in the wrong position, you should be jumping outside of the circle and landing into a back camel position. Practice your camel-back camel transition until you know it in your sleep, then try a small jump into the back camel. You gotta be able to hit that edge and hook the jump.

NYC
01-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Your camel position should be the same when you take off so that when you land, you'll have the camel position on the back side. But don't go into an upwright when you're about to take off and don't force the jump part; it'll come naturally.

fadedstardust
02-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Your camel position should be the same when you take off so that when you land, you'll have the camel position on the back side. But don't go into an upwright when you're about to take off and don't force the jump part; it'll come naturally.

....?? You're not supposed to hit a camel position before you jump. Only once you land- not at or before take-off. If you were to hit a camel position before you jumped, your leg would be completely out of control and it would be impossible to jump outside of the circle.

NYC
02-01-2005, 12:38 PM
I've been told to take off in a camel position, well, more like a semi-camel position. It makes it look better and it works for me. I guess everyone's different.

kayskate
02-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you are jumping up instead of over. The flying camel has a swinging leg action. I know how this can mess you up though. When I was doing axels, I always had to take a break b/w axels and flying camels b/c I mixed up the leading leg action.

Maybe you should try a flying reverse sit spin. That is basically an axel into a sit spin.

Kay

starskate6.0
02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
My camel was last seen roaming the desert of lost spins, starving for attention so I took a shot at it and .....it died... ( smelly animals :lol: ).

Maybe next year Ill buy a new one... :mrgreen: