View Full Version : Edea Boots

Michigansk8er
01-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Does anyone know anything about Edea boots? I have a friend that is thinking about getting a pair. I checked out their website: Edea Skates (http://www.edeaskates.com/) , and they definitely look different. She tried on a pair at Nationals and said they were as comfy as can be. Just curiuos.

icedancer2
01-29-2005, 08:03 PM
I think about half of the Portland skating community bought a pair of these boots at Nationals -- they are Italian and kind of odd-looking, but apparently EXTREMELY comfortable.

I haven't seen anyone wearing them yet, so I will be curious to see how they turn out. Apparently they were also very affordable, especially with the "Nationals" discount. (I believe 10%).

TashaKat
01-30-2005, 02:05 AM
I'm sorry but they are UGLY. I don't care how comfortable they are I wouldn't put one of those things any where near my feet.

http://www.edeaskates.com/images/integrated_foto.jpg

Michigansk8er
01-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I haven't seen anyone wearing them yet, so I will be curious to see how they turn out. Apparently they were also very affordable, especially with the "Nationals" discount. (I believe 10%).

I'm curious too.............and wonder how they will hold up. I heard they were around $200. No matter what, I won't be trying them, since they are UGLY, and won't work for those needing custom boots anyhow.

I also understand you need special screws to attach blades. The soles don't look thin enough to screw anything into.

Elsy2
01-30-2005, 10:27 AM
The site shows several models that look more conventional without the heel being covered in white. I think it's interesting that the contour of the boot is not so straight as most boots, but seems to be designed closer to the way the foot and ankle naturally bends........(hope that makes sense!)

Michigansk8er.....you've tried every other boot on the market.....let us know if you try these too! Maybe the supplier will be at AN this year?

We were posting at the same time, lol! $200?? Well, as we know you get what you pay for, so these may not be appropriate for higher levels. They keep saying something about that thinner sole. I'm not so sure that's a plus.....

Tessie
01-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Are they leather? Pleather - can't tell. I didn't see anything on the web site that indicated the material of which they are made. :??

Michigansk8er
01-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Are they leather? Pleather - can't tell. I didn't see anything on the web site that indicated the material of which they are made. :??

A friend of mine that tried them on at Nationals said they were 100% synthetic. I'm guessing this is why you can opt for air vents in them.

I doubt I'll ever try these. My feet are too different in size. I was able to get Grafs because they will sell you one boot in one size, and one in another. Kind of a stock/custom fit.

vintagefreak
01-30-2005, 12:47 PM
I think they're ugly as can be, even the ones with the more traditional looking heels. I think they look like cheap skates, no matter how comfy they might be. Doubt I'll try them.

Justine_R
01-30-2005, 01:29 PM
I think they're ugly as can be, even the ones with the more traditional looking heels. I think they look like cheap skates, no matter how comfy they might be. Doubt I'll try them.

My words exactly...they are the ugliest skates ever.

fadedstardust
01-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Well I saw them at Nationals and they looked/felt like they'd break down in about two days. Why try something new and unknown when the old and reliable works just fine? I think they look like speed skates. Really ugly, manipulated speed skates. But they have no shape, and the materials are weird.

Tessie
01-30-2005, 07:10 PM
A friend of mine that tried them on at Nationals said they were 100% synthetic. I'm guessing this is why you can opt for air vents in them.

Synthtic ='s one big faggettaboutit. I'd like to be open minded...but how do they breath? How could they ever break in? They look like rentals. Do any of the elites use these? maybe in Italy?

luna_skater
01-30-2005, 11:50 PM
I am 95% certain I saw a photo from the Skate Canada AGM showing Tracy Wilson in a pair of these. I've searched the SC website and can't find any of the AGM stuff anymore. Anyone else remember this?

icedancer2
01-31-2005, 02:36 PM
I think about half of the Portland skating community bought a pair of these boots at Nationals -- they are Italian and kind of odd-looking, but apparently EXTREMELY comfortable.

Okay, I take it back. The people I know from Portland who bought these boots are adult ice-dancers and coaches. I know of at least one person who passed on them because they are doing triples and didn't think they would hold up.

I am expecting to see these skates being used and broken in in the next couple of weeks. I will keep everyone posted on how people are doing with the break-in / break-down process and also reports on how dorky they actually look. I'm guessing that OTB tights will be necessary.

Michigansk8er
01-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I did find a post on another forum about these boots. Someone bought a pair and didn't feel secure enough to even try a double in them. Went back to their previous boots.

They supposedly drill holes in the heel somehow, to allow for ventilation. I can't imagine. I wouldn't even try the synthetic Grafs, so there is no way I'd try these.

I did find some skaters using them, after doing some searches..............roller skaters.

flo
01-31-2005, 03:25 PM
At this point, if they were comfy and supportive I'd try them, no matter how ugly!

Casey
02-02-2005, 04:52 AM
I saw a similar-looking pair of these on some feet today, but they were worse - the white that continued down to the heel went to a smaller point before the blade began (I think the boots and blades were one piece), and the boot was SHINY plastic. Yucky.

AstarZ41
02-02-2005, 07:23 AM
They may look a little "different" but they are NOT crappy skates. They are becoming pretty popular in Europe and Russia. Edea makes mid level freestyle boots, as well as stiff construction dance and FS.

iskatealot
02-02-2005, 03:28 PM
They may look a little "different" but they are NOT crappy skates. They are becoming pretty popular in Europe and Russia. Edea makes mid level freestyle boots, as well as stiff construction dance and FS.

What kind of jumps are people doing in them do u know??

alhrayth
02-03-2005, 06:46 AM
well, I live in Italy and I haven't seen many of these skates around rinks or at competitions... I tried a pair last time I went shopping for new skates, but didn't feel secure... they felt like they would break down in two days (plus they are just soooo ugly... they're not even white for ladies and black for men, but a pearly dirty white and metallic dark grey... ughh). I personally know only two people that tried them: one a high level skater that switched back to her old boots after the first practice session in those - she lamented total lack of support; the second an adult who's taking dance lessons in my group, and found them unsupportive and uncomfortable... no good feedback so far... Speaking of Italian boot makers, in the end I got a lovely pair of tan dance boots from CF - soo comfortable that I never had pain anywhere in my feet/ankles in those, not even once, and they're still holding up very well after two years!

Chico
02-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I'll keep my Harlicks.

=-) Chico

NickiT
02-04-2005, 06:21 AM
I personally don't like the look of them, but they stock them in our rink shop and a number of skaters including some of our pro's are using them and say they are extremely comfortable.

Nicki