View Full Version : I have torn a muscle...I need advice for regain flexibility..

florence
01-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi!
I need an adivice about muscles flexibility...

that's what happened :

I had a very bad injury 4 years ago , I have torn my inner thigh muscle (in my left leg) doing a split just at the end of my short program..and it was like I could feel the fire inside the muscle.

It took me 3/4 monts to be able to come back on the ice and then some other months to be able to do spirals and some spin propely because it was still hurting.

now a lot of time have passed and many times I tried to work my splits back, but every time I try to training off the ice doing splits or trying to improve spirals : my inner thigh that have been torn hurt and then it hurt for about a day.

I'm not naturally flexible, I was able to do splits and decent spirals because I worked every days on it until I was able to do them..and now that I have lost them and I'm trying to have them back it seems that it isn't improving..
It's very strange..do you think that maybe it hasn't healed properly ?
I did an echography before starting skating again after the injury and they said it was healing well.

..maybe the muscle will never have the same elasticity as before?

Do you have any advice?!

..please..it would really be great!

thanks for listening to me and sorry for my english ;)

garyc254
01-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I think your English is quite good. :D

20 years ago, I tore/strained the muscle in my inner thigh during a karate stretch out. It never has stopped hurting and still limits my skating.

My best suggestion is to go to a qualified physical therapist and have them evaluate the muscle.

There may be nothing you can do about it.

In the mean time, don't over strain the muscle as you could be doing more damage to it.

flippet
01-28-2005, 11:56 AM
It sounds to me like perhaps you aren't properly and slowly warming up the muscle before you try to 'improve flexibility' by doing splits and spirals.

I tore my hamstring a few years ago (waterskiing...I don't recommend accidentally doing high-speed splits this way! 8O ), and it took nearly 5 months until the strength was back enough that I could skate and even begin to do what I had been doing before the accident. However, it took probably another 6-7 months (so, a full year) before I felt I was back to as close to normal as it was going to get. What really helped me get the flexibility back was A) a month of regular physical therapy (the therapist eventually had my leg stretched past my ear!), and B) I took a swimming class three days a week for the semester after the accident. (It happened in early August, so I was off the crutches and limping to class and swimming by September.) When swimming, I took it easy, but I also concentrated on leg work that would alternately stretch and work that muscle--like frog kicks with a paddle board, and side-stroke using the scissor kick. I feel that really helped quite a bit.

After I got back into skating the following semester, again, I took it easy, and made sure to really warm up the muscle before stretching it before skating, and to stretch some during skating as well...and to never get on the ice with a cold muscle. But the majority of stretching I saved for after skating--the muscle was warm enough to really work, and it helped work out any stiffness gained during skating. I probably spent half an hour at least, after every skating session, just gently stretching that muscle in different directions.

I don't have any pain in that muscle, although for that entire year, I could feel a sort of 'hitch' where the tear was when I was walking. Very weird-feeling!

You'll need to slowly stretch every day, possibly many times a day. Save your 'stretching for flexibility' until AFTER exercise, when you're GOOD and warm. Never try to substitute splits or spirals for proper stretching...you need to get down on the floor and stretch first.

florence
01-28-2005, 01:54 PM
It's sort of nice to know that I'm not the only one!! ;)

I think that I'll go back to a physical therapist like garyc254 said for knowing if it's all ok.. ;)
I think that one of the reasons that it make the injury still hurt when I stretch it too much it's that I hadn't a proper physical therapy..

thanks to flippet for all those nice advices!! they are encouraging.. I'll definitely try to make a lot more stretching hereafter..

I hope it will improve with time...

backspin
01-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I had a horrible fall about a year ago when I stepped on the ice w/o taking off my guards. I landed on my hip/lower back & messed up a lot of those muscles that wrap around your backside.

I still see a physical therapist every other week, and it still is sore & I've lost a lot of flexibility on that side. It's now down to the hamstring, which has a lot a scar tissue at the point it inserts into the pelvic bone. My PT says it will always be a weak spot & will probably never be completely gone.

But it makes a huge difference if I remember to do all my exercises & stretch every day. I can get it so it's almost not there anymore.

I'd take Gary's advice & consult a sports physical therapist--they can really help!!

Chico
01-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi,

I agree with getting professional advice.

I had a pretty bad injury awhile back, bone and tendons. I would say the tendon injury has been the hardest to recover from. I found that working the ankle before skating helps tons. Even now years later, I still do this. I also found that a good warm up on the ice helps when I do push it. Needless to say it's not "normal" but I haven't been held back by it either. I think it's a mind over injury most days. Good luck.

Chico

florence
01-31-2005, 12:18 PM
thanks for all your advices ;)
I searched for a physical therapist and tomorrow I'm calling for taking an appointment..
yesterday I made a little bit of jogging and then made a lot of stretching before and after..I feel that with a bit of constancy it could improve!! :D