View Full Version : Roll Call: New Year's Adult Competition

sk8pics
01-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Since the other thread about the schedule for this competition has gotten so long, and since there seems to be a lot of interest in this event, I thought I would start a separate thread so we could see who all is planning to compete and in what events, maybe list your music if you want to. Feel free to add any additional comments. I'll start (obviously, lol):

I'm competing in:
Adult Interpretive Class III/IV ("Don't Know Why" by Nora Jones)
Pre-Bronze Ladies FS III/IV ("The Sun in the Stream" by Enya) (if I don't freak out completely and withdraw, but my coach would probably kill me if I did :giveup: )

Pat

jenlyon60
01-28-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm feeding judges and accountants.

Will be there from before the start to after the bitter end....

LWalsh
01-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I'll be (the oldest, no doubt) in Silver I FS, Silver Spins & Silver MITF

See you all then!

skaternum
01-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm doing:

Gold Pairs
Silver Compulsory Moves
Adult Ladies Interp II

NoVa Sk8r
01-28-2005, 08:39 AM
I'll be there competing in silver pairs. (As our newest pairs coach said this morning, "I want to see the full program--with costumes, jumps, spins ... and none of the excuses." :) )

Terri C
01-28-2005, 10:14 AM
I'll be there competing in silver pairs. (As our newest pairs coach said this morning, "I want to see the full program--with costumes, jumps, spins ... and none of the excuses." :) )

Ahem.. you forgot a event, NoVa- and NO excuses for you!!! :twisted:

I'll be there in Pre Bronze Ladies II (music from the "Remember the Titans" soundtrack) and Ladies Interp II (read : the flight from hell) (music "Some Enchanted Evening" by Jane Olivor)

LoopLoop
01-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I'll be there in:
silver pairs, silver ladies II and interpretive II

skatingatty
01-28-2005, 11:03 AM
I'll be doing Silver I free, Silver Spins, Interp. I. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

mdvask8r
01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Silver Ladies III. Good Skate to all. See you all next week!

Debbie S
01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Pre-Bronze Ladies FS III/IV ("The Sun in the Stream" by Enya) (if I don't freak out completely and withdraw, but my coach would probably kill me if I did :giveup: )

Pat, you are NOT scratching!! I will be happy to borrow Terri's duct tape and laces! :halo:

I'm competing in Pre-Bronze FS I (I think I'll be one of the oldest - only 2 more years of level I eligibility) and Bronze MIF (where I will be the only one of 8 competitors who has not at least tested, if not passed, the Bronze MIF test (in other words, the only one whose power 3's suck). :giveup: Fortunately, I'm only doing the event so that I can get used to doing moves in dead silence with 3 judges staring me down, so (maybe) I won't freak out and have my legs turn to jelly when I do test Bronze MIF.

And my FS music is Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2 (the slow part). This will be my last skate of this program. My coach and I are going to work on a new one after this comp.

Ellyn
01-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm skating bronze spins, moves, and freestyle.

I have not tested moves. I passed the bronze freestyle 10 years ago (before there was pre-bronze), so I don't need to.

I'm still trying to master the back three turns to anything close to prejuv or silver test standard, as of the day the competition application was due I had yet to do a pattern of LFI-RBO without putting my free foot down, so no way was I going to compete silver moves.

Debbie S
01-28-2005, 03:26 PM
I have not tested moves. I passed the bronze freestyle 10 years ago (before there was pre-bronze), so I don't need to.

Ooops! Sorry, Ellyn, I didn't mean to be presumptious. When I looked at the list of competitors that they e-mailed to us and saw almost everyone in Bronze MIF was also doing Bronze FS, I assumed everyone had passed moves. But you're right, the MIF requirement is still fairly new.

My goal is to do the power 3's w/o putting my free foot down. I decided that in addition to giving me experience in a test-like atmosphere, the comp would also provide an incentive to work on that move - it's my least-favorite move and the one I tend to blow off in practice (Gee, I did the perimeter stroking, the BO edge glides, and the 5-step, and it's kind of crowded, and I don't want to run into anybody, and....) :)

starskate6.0
01-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Im doing Gold mens II Free and Gold Interp ( " There is a sucker born every Minute").
I never did get the E-mail with the competitors list. Does any one have that and if you do can you E-mail to me.. :D Thanks.

Terri C
01-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Okay guys, I've bought the beads.
Who wants to get together for dinner either Friday or Saturday night?

flo
01-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Ladies Silver II. Moonlight Sonata.
Went to the skate shop and had the boots adjusted again. They feel better, but because of the damage done to my feet, it's hard to tell. I'm being positive and hopeful that my feet will be healed by Saturday! And while I'm at it, that my dress will be finished by then! If not :giveup:

sk8pics
01-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Pat, you are NOT scratching!! I will be happy to borrow Terri's duct tape and laces! :halo:

Hi Debbie,
I feel much better today about my programs so I won't be scratching! Got my salchow "back" meaning I can go for it without having a complete nervous breakdown, and sometimes it's pretty good and sometimes it just goes straight up and down8O, but what the heck. I did clean run throughs of both programs today that were pretty good, so... I'm in! thanks for the encouragement!

BTW, has anyone heard anything about their practice ice requests? I did email the main address and the nice person who answered said he would try to find out... but I just thought I'd ask.

Pat

sk8pics
01-30-2005, 02:43 PM

I made plans for Friday evening (which is not to say they can't be combined with others) but I'm also up for Saturday evening.

Pat

Terri C
01-30-2005, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=sk8pics
I feel much better today about my programs so I won't be scratching[/]

Good- this means that I'll save my duct tape, laces and jumprope for someone else! :lol:

Last year, a bunch of us on the forums had dinner on Saturday night after the events were over for the day. I thought maybe Friday would be a option for those who would leave on Saturday after their event or the competition was over. Just a thought. :)

Debbie S
01-30-2005, 05:13 PM
BTW, has anyone heard anything about their practice ice requests? I did email the main address and the nice person who answered said he would try to find out... but I just thought I'd ask.
Nope, haven't heard anything. I sure hope I get the Sun morning session. I mailed my check last Friday so I hope I made it.

Next Friday night from 6:30 to 10, I've got a make-up session for missed class time from my winter-term class that met last weekend (during the snow). It was the second of 2 weekend sessions (the first went off w/o incident) and the class apparently dismissed at 1 on Saturday. I thought about trying to get out of it, but I decided to go since I missed Sun's class too - I may still have a make-up assignment for that but I'm hoping the professor will just be satisfied with my attendance on Friday. I wish I could meet with you, but my dinner on Friday night will be in the food court of the Reagan Building in downtown D.C. :evil:

I'd join you on Sat night but I think I'm going to go home and get a good night's sleep, since I probably won't get home until after 11 on Friday and I'm getting up at 7 to get to an FS session at a rink around here at 8:30. I'm hoping to get to Ashburn by 11 or so on Saturday to watch everyone. It'll be strange to watch a comp where I'm competing but not until the next day. Hopefully, I'll be well-rested - given my Friday night plans, I might have a better chance of that on Sunday anyway.

starskate6.0
01-30-2005, 05:33 PM

Beads..Beads...I want beads :lol: I wont take my shirt off for them though, they might close the competition when every one runs out. :lol:

starskate6.0
01-30-2005, 05:39 PM
G-day All

Im coming from Phili and would like some directions to the rink. anyone. :?: Im also staying at the Hampton Inn.

Thanks.

Terri C
01-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Im also staying at the Hampton Inn.

Ross,
Last year, several of us stayed at the Hampton (amongst them skaternum and myself) and there was no hot water on Saturday morning. While I managed to get a hot shower at the last minute, several people had to get their hot water out of the coffee pot! I also had a room with the shower head about to come off- while I mentioned it to maintenance on Saturday morning on my way out, nothing was done!
Needless to say, I'm at the Courtyard this year.

sk8pics
01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Terri,
I'm at the Courtyard, too, as are the people I have dinner plans with (I think) on Friday evening. You're welcome to join us.

If you want, I can PM you with my cell phone number.

Oh, and LOL about the no duct tape needed comment!

Pat

starskate6.0
01-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Ross,
Last year, several of us stayed at the Hampton (amongst them skaternum and myself) and there was no hot water on Saturday morning. While I managed to get a hot shower at the last minute, several people had to get their hot water out of the coffee pot! I also had a room with the shower head about to come off- while I mentioned it to maintenance on Saturday morning on my way out, nothing was done!

Thanks Terri

Ill look into it..

Ross

starskate6.0
01-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Ross,

Hey Terri

I called the Courtyard and got some little bimbo who said WFSC had no rate at the hotel and I should call back tomorrow, then she put me through to International reservations ???. go figure....
Ill try it again tomorrow...Thanks.... :giveup:

Terri C
01-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Me?
I just said forget the WFSC rate and went with AAA rate- and booked online!

starskate6.0
01-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Me?

Thanks for the info Terri, Ill give them a call tomorrow... :D I need directions to the rink...any clues... :roll:

jenlyon60
01-30-2005, 08:15 PM
From which direction?

General directions from the DC Beltway...

(Note: if you are driving down I-95 from Philly/Baltimore area, take the Beltway exit towards Bethesda/Tysons Corner.)

1. Exit on the Dulles tollroad west.

2. Exit on VA Rt 28 North towards Sterling (there will be a 35 cent toll... if you have an EZ-Pass or SmartTag, there is a SmartTag/EZ-pass only lane.

3. Continue through 3 stoplights, staying in the RIGHT hand lane (this is different than last year)

4. Exit WEST on Waxpool road (there is a temporary sign that says Waxpool Road/AOL) via a clover leaf loop out of the right hand lane immediately after going under an overpass.

5. Continue on Waxpool Road through 3 stoplights. At the 4th stoplight, turn RIGHT on Smith Switch road.

6. Turn LEFT into the rink parking lot.

Hope this helps.

-------

To get to the Courtyard Inn, follow the directions through step 3 above. Continue on Route 28 to Nokes Blvd.

then...turn RIGHT on Nokes Blvd (only direction to turn)

Turn LEFT onto Atlantic Blvd (first stoplight)

Turn RIGHT onto Majestic Drive...hotel is on the left.

----

To get to the Rink from the Courtyard Inn

1. Turn LEFT onto Atlantic Blvd.

2. Turn RIGHT onto Nokes Blvd.

3. Turn LEFT onto Rt 28.

4. Continue through 2 stoplights and EXIT RIGHT onto Waxpool Road.

5. Continue on Waxpool Road through 3 stoplights. At the 4th stoplight, turn RIGHT on Smith Switch road.

starskate6.0
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
From which direction?

(Note: if you are driving down I-95 from Philly/Baltimore area, take the Beltway exit towards Bethesda/Tysons Corner.)

2. Exit on VA Rt 28 North towards Sterling (there will be a 35 cent toll... if you have an EZ-Pass or SmartTag, there is a SmartTag/EZ-pass only lane.

3. Continue through 3 stoplights, staying in the RIGHT hand lane (this is different than last year)

4. Exit WEST on Waxpool road (there is a temporary sign that says Waxpool Road/AOL) via a clover leaf loop out of the right hand lane immediately after going under an overpass.

Hope this helps.

-------

To get to the Courtyard Inn, follow the directions through step 3 above. Continue on Route 28 to Nokes Blvd.

then...turn RIGHT on Nokes Blvd (only direction to turn)

Turn LEFT onto Atlantic Blvd (first stoplight)

Turn RIGHT onto Majestic Drive...hotel is on the left.

----

To get to the Rink from the Courtyard Inn

1. Turn LEFT onto Atlantic Blvd.

2. Turn RIGHT onto Nokes Blvd.

3. Turn LEFT onto Rt 28.

4. Continue through 2 stoplights and EXIT RIGHT onto Waxpool Road.

Thanks Jen This is great :D You are a star .. ;)

jenlyon60
01-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks Jen This is great :D You are a star .. ;)

I live near the rink. Do I skate there? Nope. But I drive by it a couple times a week.

For anyone who knows about Wegman's Grocery, there's a Wegman's on the corner of Rt 28 and Waxpool Road.

If you don't know about Wegmans, do yourself a favor and check it out. A truly awesome grocery store....

Also, Starbucks directions available upon request...

starskate6.0
01-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Me?
Thanks for the tip Terri
Im staying at the courtyard now instead, Ill be there Saturday night after the first day's competition. My girl friend is coming with me, let me know if you guys would like to get together after the events on saturday . :D

starskate6.0
01-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Me?
Thanks for the tip Terri
Im staying at the courtyard now instead, Ill be there Saturday night after the first day's competition. My girl friend is coming with me, let me know if you guys would like to get together after the events on saturday . :D

starskate6.0
01-31-2005, 02:26 PM
8O Opps posted that twice....sorry.

starskate6.0
01-31-2005, 02:30 PM
I live near the rink. Do I skate there? Nope. But I drive by it a couple times a week.

For anyone who knows about Wegman's Grocery, there's a Wegman's on the corner of Rt 28 and Waxpool Road.

If you don't know about Wegmans, do yourself a favor and check it out. A truly awesome grocery store....

Also, Starbucks directions available upon request...

Thanks again Jen
Starbucks and skating go hand in hand...dirctions please.. ;) besides, I wont be able to get there early enough for the practice ice on saturday so Ill need to get my Starbucks fix before i get on the ice... :D Ill only have time for the warm up so i figure if I shake a little more I might do better. :lol:

phillyskater
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately, I can't make it this year (work). But I wanted to send along a huge "GOOD LUCK" to all of you!!! Knock 'em dead!!! Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures afterward.

Go get em' Ross . . . make IceWorks proud (like you usually do). ;)

GOOD LUCK :D

philly

jenlyon60
01-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Starbucks ....

1. Continue past the turn for the rink. The road you're on now changes names to Farmwell Road.

2. At the next stoplight (for Ashburn Village Blvd), turn RIGHT.

3. Continue on Ashburn Village Blvd for about 1 1/2 miles. You will come to a stoplight for Gloucester Parkway (there will be a gas station on the corner and a shopping center ahead on your left).

4. Continue straight through the stoplight and get into the left-hand turn lane, then turn left into the shopping center. Starbucks is in the main part of the shopping center, about halfway between the Giant Food and the east end of the shopping center.

(There is also a McDonalds, a Burger King, a Ruby Tuesday, a Subway, a Popeyes Chicken and a few other restaurants in this shopping center.)

Remember that on the return trip to the rink, to turn LEFT at the stoplight onto Farmwell Road. Then... go about 1/2 mile to a stoplight and turn LEFT onto Smith Switch Road to the rink.

skatingatty
02-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Jen,
Thanks for the directions and info. You'd think after going there for the past 3 years, I'd know how to get there by now. Good luck and hope I'll see you skate Saturday!
Judy

jenlyon60
02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Judy -- since last year, VDOT has completed one major re-build of one of the intersections on Rt 28 between the Dulles Toll Road and the turn for the ice rink, and mostly completed re-building the intersection of Waxpool Road and Rt. 28.

For anyone who only occasionally visits the area, it could be confusing, especially since one now has to be in a totally different lane than this time last year.

Mel On Ice
02-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm competing at my first AN!

Freestyle: Bronze I
Music: YYZ by Rush (rock 'n' roll baby!)
elements: sit, waltz-half loop-salchow combo, backspin, loop-loop, spiral seq., flip (I hope), sal-toe, scratch, footwork throughout.
Expectations: near bottom of my qualifying round.

Interp: Ladies
Music: Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway
elements: footwork, back spiral, footwork, toe-toe, scratch, footwork into loop, footwork into sal-toe, spread eagle into attitude spin.
Expectations: near bottom. But I get to wear the cool fringe dress!

jazzpants
02-01-2005, 04:02 PM
GOOOOO MEL!!! Go kick some ICE BUTTS!!! :mrgreen:

starskate6.0
02-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks again Jen....Starbucks :mrgreen:

Look forward to seeing you Mel.. :D

Philly...Ill give it my best shot... :mrgreen:

Debbie S
02-01-2005, 10:07 PM

And in today's installment of Useless Trivial Facts, I learned in Marketing Analysis class today that this Wegman's (it's considered to be in Sterling, right?) sells more Pepsi than any other Wegman's in the Northeast. The professor has done some work for Pepsi and was using a dataset to demonstrate analytical techniques that can be done with the SPSS software. Actually, the dataset may have been a year or 2 old.

Today I also found out that my make-up assignment will entail watching a few videos (interviews and reports from various PBS and cable news programs) that were shown in class the day I missed and incorporate the material into my take-home exam. That, and attend the 3 1/2 hour class on Friday night. Oh well, it could have been worse.

See everyone Saturday. Hopefully, my spins will return by then. :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
02-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Just wanted to say that I LURVE skaternum and Terri C's signatures!

jenlyon60
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
And in today's installment of Useless Trivial Facts, I learned in Marketing Analysis class today that this Wegman's (it's considered to be in Sterling, right?) sells more Pepsi than any other Wegman's in the Northeast.

Sterling, Dulles... the 2 sort of run together these days. But yeah, I think that they do list the store as being in Sterling. AOL on the other side of the road considers itself to be in Dulles.

Beccapoo2003
02-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Go Mel On Ice!!! Am looking forward to seeing you at AN!
Are you still doing Synchro?
Becca

Debbie S
02-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Today I also found out that my make-up assignment will entail watching a few videos (interviews and reports from various PBS and cable news programs) that were shown in class the day I missed and incorporate the material into my take-home exam. That, and attend the 3 1/2 hour class on Friday night. Oh well, it could have been worse.

Good news! I don't have to attend the class Friday night b/c it's not happening. There seems to be some miscommunication between the professor and the admin people who scheduled it - our take-home exam will serve as the "make-up" because it was expanded and made into a take-home project (instead of in-class) when class dismissed early. Woohoo! That means I will be (hopefully) well-rested this weekend. Dare I say my camel-sit might make an appearance? I can only hope. :)

jazzpants
02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Just wanted to say that I LURVE skaternum and Terri C's signatures! Yeah! Well check out my new one then!!! :twisted:

NoVa Sk8r
02-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah! Well check out my new one then!!! :twisted:Oh, my my my!

LoopLoop
02-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Well, check out MY new signature too!

NoVa Sk8r
02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, check out MY new signature too!So THAT's why you can't sleep at night! ;)

jenlyon60
02-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Want to wish everyone a SAFE trip tomorrow/Saturday...

I'll be at rink by 7AM to set up food etc.... "hospitality is us"...

sk8pics
02-04-2005, 08:50 AM
From which direction?

Does the Dulles tollroad have a number? Or will there be a sign saying Dulles Tollroad?

thanks,
Pat

jenlyon60
02-04-2005, 09:00 AM
It's VA route 267.

For sure the sign says Dulles Airport. It may say "Leesburg" also.

The first toll is 50 cents. The toll to exit on VA Rt 28 North (Sterling) is 35 cents.

At the main toll plaza, if you have an EZ-Pass or Smart Tag, stay in one of the the leftmost 2lanes. Otherwise, you have to queue up in one of the other lanes. There is at least one lane for EXACT CHANGE only.

The signage at the toll plaza is improved but not ideal yet.

At the exit for VA Rt 28 North (Sterling), if you have an EZ-Pass or Smart Tag, the RIGHT-MOST lane is for EZ-Pass/Smart-Tag only. The middle lane is Exact Change only, and the left-most lane has a cashier.

If you will be getting to the Toll Road and VA Rt 28 North during Rush Hour (anywhere from 3:30 to 6:30 or 7pm), be aware that both carry a LOT of traffic these days.

Finally, on the TOLL ROAD only, during rush hour (4-6 PM I believe), the left-most lane is HOV-2 only.

Debbie S
02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
The Dulles Toll Road exit off 495 (Capital Beltway) is 45A (according to my Mapquest directions, which worked last year). It's VA 267 West.

Thanks, jenlyon for posting the directions for the new traffic pattern. Mapquest doesn't have that stuff yet.

flo
02-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi all,
I'll be practicing in the morning and see how it goes. In any event, good luck to all!

TimDavidSkate
02-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I'd like to wish everybody the best this weekend at the New Year's Invitational competition.

NoVa Sk8r
02-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Skaternum and I have completed phase I of our evil operation. Can't wait for tomorrow! :twisted:

And it appears that quite a few competitors turned up this afternoon to skate on non-official practice ice. Let the games begin! 8-)

Terri C
02-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks to all who showed their support in keeping NoVa from scratching- he praticed his program yesterday afternoon, and will skate on Sunday!! :D

NoVa Sk8r
02-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks to all who showed their support in keeping NoVa from scratching- he praticed his program yesterday afternoon, and will skate on Sunday!! :DWhat? I never said that I wasn't scratching. Tsk tsk. :??

flo
02-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Went to pracatice this am, and decided to withdraw. The skates just hurt too much to give a good performance and enjoy the experience, and that's why I skate. I even trird to borrow a friend's pair. They were so comfy I didn't want to take them off! I could spin in them, but didn't have enough time to get use to the blades for jumping. :giveup:

Dissapointed to miss everyone, and wish all the best of luck.
Another trip to the skate shop tomorrow, and fitted for a new pair, and these in the mail!

jazzpants
02-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Went to pracatice this am, and decided to withdraw. The skates just hurt too much to give a good performance and enjoy the experience, and that's why I skate. I even trird to borrow a friend's pair. They were so comfy I didn't want to take them off! I could spin in them, but didn't have enough time to get use to the blades for jumping. :giveup:

Another trip to the skate shop tomorrow, and fitted for a new pair, and these in the mail!flo... it's a very WISE move!!! Your health is more important than being in any competition...

Good luck to all competing at New Year's!!! Go kick some ice butt out there!!! :mrgreen:

TimDavidSkate
02-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Went to the official practice #3 this morning.
The ice is very springy :yum:

They did not even know that they were suppose to play music during the practices :?: :roll: So on my session, they end up not playing anything. B/c it would be unfair to the practice session # 1 and 2. 8O

In the gold event the roster for Gold Men, only had Ross Luxton, Dennis P. and Kelton Brown. Unfortunatley I did not attend the competition this afternoon. I have to rest from this morning's practice. I think I am catching a cold. I will be there to compete tomorrow. I also met with the other Tim's. Tim Fisher and Tim Convington.

mskater
02-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Any reports from the first day of competition?

Terri C
02-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Well, it was win #4 for Loops and NoVa! Inside Axel had a awesome freeskate!
wastsonks did a great, hysterical program showing Oksana Bauil at 60.
Me? Well, I handed beads out all day and cheered everyone on. When it came time for Interp, I was #1 in what I called " the flight from hell".
I had a clean program, but it was lyrical (read: the judges wanted to be entertained) so I was 8th out of 9. It wasn't as scary as I imagined it would be!

Debbie S
02-05-2005, 09:14 PM
New Year's was great today! I got to meet NoVa, skatingatty, InsideAxel, dcden, Ellyn, skaternum, and I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting right now. It was good to see Terri, sk8pics, LoopLoop, starskate6.0, and the other adult skaters I've met through these comps.

NoVa and Loops did an excellent job with their pairs program, winning the Silver Pairs gold. Skaternum and her partner did the same in Gold Pairs. It was the first time I'd seen an adult pairs competition - the programs were fabulous. I'm looking forward to seeing NoVa's much-talked-about FS program. Loops did a great job in her Silver FS comp - winning the silver with 1 1st place ordinal. Her interpretive to Josh Groban's "To Where You Are" was amazing - I am in awe of her spread eagles - and she wuz robbed by the judges, IMO.

Terri's interp program was also great to watch - good job on the spread eagles! The judging for the Interp events seemed odd, but oh well, I guess adult competitions are about skating for yourself, right? I've been trying to practice an inside spread eagle with my lead leg bent (sort of an eagle/Ina Bauer combo) and I have zero turnout. Loops gave me a tip about pushing with the inside of your ankle which I'll try next week.

I also got the chance to see sk8pics's interpretive - great job! Especially given the lesson and coaching unpredictability of the past week. I love the music, and sk8pics interprets it well. I left before those results were posted. Skaternum's interp was a hoot - I was wondering why she was warming up with her arms folded - I won't give away anything else - you have to see it for yourself - maybe at the Peach Classic?

InsideAxel was fabulous in winning Gold Men - wow! So many doubles! Starskate and dcden skated great as well.

Skatingatty's spins are incredible (I think I'm running out of superlatives to describe everyone!) and she did a great job with her FS and Interp programs. Unfortunately, the rink is having a problem with its sound system and a large number of skaters (at least 10) had their music stop in the middle of their programs, and skatingatty's Interp was one of them. But she did a great job of continuing her skating and staying with the music despite the obstacles.

Other than the sound problem, the event seems to be well-run, with everything on schedule and the ice well-kept. It wasn't overly cold in the rink, probably due to the 50-degree temperatures outside. I think I'm going to go ahead and wear my non-FS dress, which is sleeveless, for my MIF event tomorrow. My FS program dress is long-sleeved.

I asked the comp organizers at the check-in table if there was anything they could do about the music fading out and they said that the problem was with the rink's loudspeakers and not the actual CD/tape player. The music that seemed the most prone to going out was softer music, and given that my program is the Adagio (slow) section of Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2, I give my music a 50-50 chance of going kaput tomorrow. It's a good thing I often run through the program without music.

flo, I'm so sorry you couldn't skate, but it's better that you give your feet a rest and get the boot problem taken care of. I'll look forward to seeing your FS program at your club's spring show.

Off to get my things together for my events tomorrow.

mskater
02-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like everyone 'represented' skatingforums in great fashion:] Kudos to you Terri for presenting a program that you wanted to skate without worrying too much about the judges. And kudos just for skating an interp; that's something I doubt I'll ever do:]

TimDavidSkate
02-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Is the starting order for Silver Men up? :?: ;) :D

skatingatty
02-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm back at my sister's house in Vienna, VA after dinner and window shopping at Fair Oaks Mall (I'm smelling delightfully of Estee Lauder's Beyond Paradise from the perfume counter). Sigh... it was a bit of a disappointment for me. I came in 4th in all 3 events entered, and I didn't land my opening axel, so I didn't want to risk messing up again and didn't even attempt the 2nd one. Lo and behold, for the 1st time ever, I had too much music at the end and had to improvise, throwing in a flip and doing an aborted scratch spin that I had to end when the music stopped. Afterwards, a fellow NC skater who is a judge said I needed to work on my speed and extension and finish off my spins. She also didn't think the choreography was well-spaced. Sure enough, I looked back on the videotape and I was rushing so much during the program that I fell out of my spins or didn't push out of them well. Aaargh. Anyway, it was great watching everyone skate today. Heather Hilgar, the one who won the Silver I free, landed 2 axels. She also won Interp- a very smooth and sure skater. The person who won 2nd also landed an axel. I can't remember who won the Silver Spins, but Tim Covington (or whoever the man was) was very fast and had great positions. I got 7th from one judge and two gave me 2nd! In Interp., my Michelle Kwan "Field of Gold Program" went pretty well, given that I hardly practiced it. :) Plus, as it did during many people's skates, the music kept fouling up. I agree that Looploop (always beautifully dressed!) wuz robbed in Interp.-- guess you have to find a comic schtick with a cool costume to get on the judges' side!

So let's see... looks like Terry and Debbie have given info on others' placements. InsideAxel, aka Kelton, had a great skate with a double lutz, double flip, axels, etc. with just one fall on a dbl toe at the end. Skaternum, aka Lori, and David also performed well and won the gold pairs title! The 2nd place team had great skills too, but their music faded out at at least one point, and he fell on something, causing the back of his outfit to either rip open or become unzipped. Lots of great interp. programs, including Karen Watson's "elderly Oksana" routine, complete with a replica of Oksana's white Olympic exhibition outfit and all the little moves Oksana is known for. Tomorrow I have to go back to pick up my cassette tapes, but I'll have to miss Silver Men's b/c I'm meeting an old friend for lunch. Kelton, if you're reading this, one of the organizers said you left your tape too, so I will get that for you. I must go back to Raleigh and keep plugging away on the axel and basic skating!! Good luck to everyone skating Sunday.

skatingatty
02-05-2005, 10:11 PM

Another trip to the skate shop tomorrow, and fitted for a new pair, and these in the mail!

Flo,
I'm sorry you weren't able to compete. What brand/kind of skates are they, and are they just broken down? My skates (custom Klingbeils) hurt at times, but I've only had them a year and hope they'll last at least a couple more before I have to shell out more $$ for another pair. Hope the new ones work out for you!

NoVa Sk8r
02-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Went to practice this am, and decided to withdraw.

Dissapointed to miss everyone, and wish all the best of luck.Flo, I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortune. I was looking to see you skate! :(

Hope you heal and that you get your boots soon.

NoVa Sk8r
02-05-2005, 11:12 PM
NoVa and Loops did an excellent job with their pairs program, winning the Silver Pairs gold. Skaternum and her partner did the same in Gold Pairs. It was the first time I'd seen an adult pairs competition - the programs were fabulous. It was great to finally meet you ... and thanks for the kind words. :) Loops and I didn't do a *completely* clean program, but we managed to incorporate 3 different elements successfully. I'm afraid I was feeling a bit voidy/lightheaded during the performance, and I had a "where the heck am I and what comes next" moment during the program. This time around, I didn't get a chance to see the other pair teams.
I'm looking forward to seeing NoVa's much-talked-about FS program. HA! ;) Well, I'm kinda sorta looking forward to performing it. I'm still trying to decide on my costume (do I want to go with rhinestones AGAIN?), and I'm still working out some of the choreography and spins. I hope practice tomorrow is productive in this regard ...

More reports from others later?!

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Congratulations and commiserations to all concerned - it sounds like you're having a wonderful time. I wish I was there instead of being at home with a virus, can't even skate, can't even do my off-ice.... sigh....

InsideAxel
02-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Kelton, if you're reading this, one of the organizers said you left your tape too, so I will get that for you.

Thanks skatingatty! We got to Potomac Mills and remembered it. Kim called skaternum's room and left a message asking her if she could retrieve it. Thanks to both of you!! :bow:

Good luck to everyone today!

Kelton

flo
02-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Congrats to all! So sorry I missed you. I decided to stay and help out with the kids and give the feet a brea.
More later - my feet have a 1pm appt. with the skate fitter!
My problem boots are 6 months old.

TimDavidSkate
02-06-2005, 01:49 PM
1. Tim Convington 1 1 3 1 3
2. Tim Fisher 2 2 2 5 2
3. Tim David 4 4 1 2 1
4. Stephen Trzaska 5 3 6 3 4
5. Robert St. John 3 5 4 4 5
6. Tim Mizerak 7 6 5 6 7
7. Michael Cruz 6 7 7 7 6

* I was happy that I skated cleanly and how I fought througout the program. Congratulations to all my competitors that was a good skate *

NoVa Sk8r
02-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Congrats to all the silver men. I didn't get to watch all of the competitors (I skated fifth out of 7), but from what I saw, there were lots of nice moments and lots of different styles and music choices.

As for me ... unfortunately, I omitted 3 jumps from my program, messed up my flying camel (which I saved by doing a back catch camel), and botched my footwork. In addition, a judge told me that one of my elements was illegal: I did lutz/loop/loop/toe loop (only 3 jumps are allowed in a combination). I was glad to finally feel comfortable with the new music cut, aned I'll have some fun reinvigorating the program.

I'd like to think that since the Other Woman wasn't there, my heart wasn't in it. :)

Oh, well, there's always next time, and I always have that pairs skating gig. 8-)

skaternum
02-06-2005, 04:15 PM
I'd like to think that since the Other Woman wasn't there, my heart wasn't in it. :) I'm touched. :oops:

skatingatty, I picked up your tapes this morning. I didn't know you were coming back, and I knew you weren't competing again today, so I nabbed them for you. InsideAxel, I got your CD, as requested.

We had such a blast. It was so much fun!! It was great to see everyone from skatingforums. David & I were pleased overall with our skate, although it was a little bit sloppier than usual. The worst part of the event was when he sort of blanked out and set up for an axel lift instead of the throw loop we were supposed to set up. Luckily he was facing away from the judges when he said "sh**" but unfortunately that was when our music cut out because of the sound system problems. :frus: I don't think they heard us. We'd added a BO death spiral and a modified pair sit since Peach, so we were pleased to get through it without bloodshed! Cooper & Jones really had a hard time on their program. It was going so well at first, too. I understand she's been injured and they've been dealing with some illness too, so we were impressed that they were able to even get through it. They have a great back press lift!

Nova and LoopLoop did great, as usual. We were tickled to finally get to meet Tim & Debbie too.

I was particularly pleased with my Silver compulsory moves event. It felt really good! And thanks for the compliment on my interp. I won't be doing it at Peach -- it's being retired -- so there's no need to keep the gag a secret. I did the straightjacket number to Patsy Cline's "Crazy." I love that program!

I wish we could have stuck around today, but we had to get back. TerriC, will we see your interp again at Peach? Hope so!!

Smooches to all the skatingforums skaters! You guys rock. We didn't get it together to do a skatingforums dinner. Maybe at Peach, huh?

Debbie S
02-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Congrats to all the silver men. I didn't get to watch all of the competitors (I skated fifth out of 7), but from what I saw, there were lots of nice moments and lots of different styles and music choices.

Congrats to NoVa, Tim David, and the rest of the Silver Men!

I'm sorry I didn't stay, but I was so tired out from getting up so early and not sleeping well either Fri night or last night. NoVa, Terri told me you were doing CRC, so I figured I could catch you there, along with some of the other skaters from New Year's who will be there. I will just be a spectator - it's in the middle of the semester and I learned my lesson about that at HC.

I was a bit disappointed in my FS event. I feel that I skated well, better than HC anyway, although I still didn't land the loop, but I was bummed to end up last. I realize that who you compete with is out of your control, and your focus should be on your own skating, yada, yada, yada, and I agree with all that. But I was also chatting with a woman in my event who told me she's only been skating for a little over a year, and this was her first competition. I only saw a bit of her program (I skated last in the group) but I did see that she landed a good loop jump. I've been working on that jump for 2 years, and it still doesn't look like that. :frus: My coach says that if I want to place higher in competitions that I have to work on my jumps and get more height, which I agree with, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just don't have enough talent to do freestyle, at least FS competitions. I felt like I skated my program better than I have, and my coach (and others) said my presentation and posture have improved, but I wonder if I should maybe just do Interpretive (which would be just for fun, since I'm no comedian and would end up doing lyrical programs that apparently bore the judges), where the jumps are less important.

On a positive note, I made it through Bronze MIF unscathed - no falls, splats, touchdowns, or scary toe pick sounds. And I did not finish last - I got 6th out of 7 (I tied for 5th but lost the tiebreaker). For some reason, I felt very calm about that event - I guess b/c my expectations were so low. After doing the early practice session, I didn't even need the whole warm-up - how many times can you warm-up power 3's and spirals? It was almost eerie how relaxed I felt - I doubt that I'll feel the same way when I actually test Bronze MIF, but hey, I did the comp for the experience and it turned out to be a good experience.

Terri did a great job in her FS event. Although she did not repeat as Pre-Bronze champion, I'm sure that she'll soon be winning Bronze competitions. :) I didn't see all of sk8pics's FS program (my coach had me doing stretching and stuff in the lobby and then I had to run and get my skates on), but the part I saw looked good. Unfortunately, I missed the "first-rate" spirals.

It was great to see everyone and to see so many great programs. If I continue to compete FS, my next comp will probably be the Chesapeake Open, assuming they get enough skaters to do Bronze FS. I've been considering the May Day Open, but I'm not sure.

Thin-Ice
02-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Quote from NoVa Sk8r: "a judge told me that one of my elements was illegal: I did lutz/loop/loop/toe loop (only 3 jumps are allowed in a combination)."

Is that something in the rules for that particular competition? Because the USFS rulebook guidelines for a well-skated program say one combination/sequence is required and three are the maximum number of combinations/sequences... but the number of jumps in combinations/sequences are optional.

Or was that judge misinformed? Or did you do more than 3 jump combination/sequences?

flo
02-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi all. Congrats all around!
Debbie, if you like free skating, don't give it up yet - it's far too early. Interpretive can be as hard or easy as you make it. My interp programs tend to be more difficult than my fs programs, but just because I put lots of edges and such in them.
I was dissapointed to hear that the judges for interp just wated to be entertained. One day this event will get sorted out and be treated like a real event (from the judges and the skaters) with real skating being a requirement and rewarded.

I went down and was fitted for a pair of Jacksons with some custom modifications. My Harlick will be put in the mail in the am and sent back to the company. So, it will be a rae to see which boots get back firstand how long before nationals. Fo now, I had my new blades put on my old boots so I can get in some practice while waiting.

daisies
02-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Quote from NoVa Sk8r: "a judge told me that one of my elements was illegal: I did lutz/loop/loop/toe loop (only 3 jumps are allowed in a combination)."

Is that something in the rules for that particular competition? Because the USFS rulebook guidelines for a well-skated program say one combination/sequence is required and three are the maximum number of combinations/sequences... but the number of jumps in combinations/sequences are optional.

Or was that judge misinformed? Or did you do more than 3 jump combination/sequences?

That judge was TOTALLY misinformed, and quite frankly it's scary that he/she is even judging. Like you said, where the "three" comes in is that you can't do more than three combinations or sequences in a program. However, the number of jumps included within each combination or sequence is FREE. It even says that specifically in the well-balanced program requirements.

Someone needs to tell the chief referee of the competition that this happened. I'm serious. That judge needs to be set straight so that he/she doesn't continue to deduct for something that is not illegal.

starskate6.0
02-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Sunday Thanks

Hi all
I wanted to say thanks to all of you who were in the stands during my events. You cheered me on to a very successfull skate in the Freestyle and the Interp which turned out to be an exhibition and a heck of a lot of fun :lol: You are the reason I skate in the first place :mrgreen:
I especialy want to thank the judges for their great sense of humor in giving me straight 6.0's :lol: :lol:
Kelton skated great and I may have come in second but I felt like a winner in both events - thanks to you all. :mrgreen:

NoVa Sk8r
02-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Like you said, where the "three" comes in is that you can't do more than three combinations or sequences in a program. However, the number of jumps included within each combination or sequence is FREE. It even says that specifically in the well-balanced program requirements.

Someone needs to tell the chief referee of the competition that this happened. I'm serious. That judge needs to be set straight so that he/she doesn't continue to deduct for something that is not illegal.Well, I'm not one to get anyone in trouble ( :halo: ), but my coach and I will be checking this out. I don't know if I was deducted for it either. Apparently, a memo came out from USFS 2 days ago explaining the change (?). This is quite annoying. Incidentally, a few days ago a clarification memo came out stating that a flying spin was to be required in bronze thru gold levels. 8O That memo has since been rescinded. I'm still trying to figure the logistics of this--I mean, does USFS/adult committee know what it's doing? Does USFS expect to change the rules a few months before adult nationals? If they are changing things, shouldn't it be effective come September? I shall try to get to the bottom of this.

Anyway, I sort of agree that more than 3 "jumps" (not including half-loops or splits, etc.) in a sequence or combination is excessive. To be sure, that jump combo I did (lutz/loop/loop/toe loop) was not supposed to be a part of my program. I was kind of exasperated and tired and disoriented--partly from a muscle relaxant taken for a back injury--and I had too much momentum, so my body automatically did this combo. The ice felt really "bouncy," and I think I had too much energy coming out of the lutz/loop. That is saying something, because this combo freaks me out, and I hate the lutz. But with no axel, I feel like I need the lutz/loop--at the minimum. I sometimes practice the lutz/loop/loop/loop just for fun. Unfortunately, I think my mind got locked on that and I just kept jumping. If I hadn't been so close to the boards by that point, I probably would have thrown in another loop. :??
Most of the program is a blur by now. It was obviously not my best performance, but I think I was trying to see how the new music cut would work for me in a competitive environment. I've got my work cut out for me.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

Terri C
02-06-2005, 07:10 PM
TerriC, will we see your interp again at Peach? Hope so!!

While Peach isn't until September I'll have to start praying to the Workplace Gods now- I can never get the entire Labor Day weekend off. Hopefully, if I pray hard enough, I may be able to go and fly back Sunday night for work on Monday (it's my year to work on Labor Day!)

TimDavidSkate
02-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Peach in September?

Terri C
02-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, I'm not one to get anyone in trouble ( :halo: ), but my coach and I will be checking this out. I don't know if I was deducted for it either. Apparently, a memo came out from USFS 2 days ago explaining the change (?). This is quite annoying. Incidentally, a few days ago a clarification memo came out stating that a flying spin was to be required in bronze thru gold levels. 8O That memo has since been rescinded. I'm still trying to figure the logistics of this--I mean, does USFS/adult committee know what it's doing? Does USFS expect to change the rules a few months before adult nationals? If they are changing things, shouldn't it be effective come September? I shall try to get to the bottom of this.

Anyway, I sort of agree that more than 3 "jumps" (not including half-loops or splits, etc.) in a sequence or combination is excessive. To be sure, that jump combo I did (lutz/loop/loop/toe loop) was not suuposed to be a part of my program. I was kind of exasperated and tired and disoriented--partly from a muscle relaxant taken for a back injury--and I had too much momentum, so my body automatically did this combo. The ice felt really "bouncy," and I think I had too much energy coming out of the lutz/loop. That is saying something, because this combo freaks me out, and I hate the lutz. But with no axel, I feel like I need the lutz/loop--at the minimum. I sometimes practice the lutz/loop/loop/loop just for fun. Unfortunately, I think my mind got locked on that and I just kept jumping. If I hadn't been so close to the boards by that point, I probably would have thrown in another loop. :??
Most of the program is a blur by now. It was obviously not my best performance, but I think I was trying to see how the new music cut would work for me in a competitive environment. I've got my work cut out for me.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

You're soooo welcome!!!! :D :D :D :D

daisies
02-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Incidentally, a few days ago a clarification memo came out stating that a flying spin was to be required in bronze thru gold levels. 8O That memo has since been rescinded. I'm still trying to figure the logistics of this--I mean, does USFS/adult committee know what it's doing? Does USFS expect to change the rules a few months before adult nationals? If they are changing things, shouldn't it be effective come September? I shall try to get to the bottom of this.

Everything in the *correct* clarification is in the rulebook. There was nothing in that clarification that was changed from what's in the 2004-05 rulebook. However, the first clarification simply was typed up wrong. From what I understand, it was one person's error, not the Adult Skating Committee's.

NoVa Sk8r
02-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Everything in the *correct* clarification is in the rulebook. There was nothing in that clarification that was changed from what's in the 2004-05 rulebook. However, the first clarification simply was typed up wrong. From what I understand, it was one person's error, not the Adult Skating Committee's.OK, thanks for *that* clarification. ;)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming anyone or anything. I'm just wondering how the "let's change a rule or insert a clarification" deal works. Two judges on two separate days told me of rule changes. I was thinking, "I don't care. Like I'm gonna change my program now." I'm really just curious on how the legislative side of things is made to go into effect.

And by the way, this is not the first time this has happened. When I competed in a silver compulsory moves event 2 years ago, one of the judges harangued me as soon as I came off the ice, claiming that I had done too many spiral positions in the spiral sequence (again, here I go getting nabbed on doing too much 8-)). Several of us had to show the judge the announcement, which read "... at least 2 positions." :roll:

Anyway, I realize the judges do a lot of work and it is often a thankless job. But would it hurt to read the announcement before you judge?

daisies
02-06-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm just wondering how the "let's change a rule or insert a clarification" deal works. Two judges on two separate days told me of rule changes. I was thinking, "I don't care. Like I'm gonna change my program now." I'm really just curious on how the legislative side of things is made to go into effect.
I think because there were a lot of changes for this year, which went into effect on Sept. 1, 2004, they sent out a clarification since this is the beginning of the adult skating season, and they wanted to make sure the judges/referees were aware of what was new for this year.

Anyway, I realize the judges do a lot of work and it is often a thankless job. But would it hurt to read the announcement before you judge?
No kidding!

jenlyon60
02-06-2005, 08:21 PM
The judges normally rely on the judging sheets they're given by Accounting, who prepares all the associated competition-time paperwork (skating orders, chunking the numbers afterwards, etc.) I haven't seen precisely how the accounting software works, but the sheets will often provide some specifics that are computer-generated (not hand-written and photo-copied). For the test level events, the judges will often be provided a competition worksheet that provides space for the judge to record what elements each skater performs, number of revs, etc. Those worksheets are available for viewing from USFS Forms.

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2005, 03:24 AM
. Luckily he was facing away from the judges when he said "sh**" but unfortunately that was when our music cut out because of the sound system problems. :frus: I don't think they heard us.ROTFL! :D I bet they would have just laughed if they had heard....
We didn't get it together to do a skatingforums dinner. Maybe at Peach, huh?I hope we'll have one at AN - husband said last night that he thinks we ought to go.... well, I'll believe it when we've the tickets booked, but it does look likely! :D :D :D
I was dissapointed to hear that the judges for interp just wated to be entertained. One day this event will get sorted out and be treated like a real event (from the judges and the skaters) with real skating being a requirement and rewarded.In the UK it already is - it's called artistic, and what happens is that you have probably five judges, whose first mark is roughly as follows:

Technical merit
Artistic impression
Choreography
Use of Music
Costume
The 2nd mark from each judge is for Entertainment Value, so those skaters who see the event as an opportunity for free skating with vocals do lose out - funny still wins, but good skating is also rewarded.

skatingatty
02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Back at work, in the real world again.... So, do we have to have a flying spin in our programs if we're bronze-gold level? I gotta look for those guidelines on-line. On Sat. afternoon, a person from my club told me about the memo the judges were given shortly before the competition. BTW, does it count as a spin combination if I did a normal combo spin, then pushed into a layback, then pushed into a sit spin? I'm trying to figure out why that one judge put me down so low-- granted, I wasn't that fast and did wind up traveling into the other competitor's space when I finished the open combination spin. :(

Skaternum, will u be at spin class Thursday? Thanks for getting my tapes! My DC friends were very impressed by your pairs skating and thought David looked so young. They also liked your costumes. I am going to sign up for the Feb. 26th skating "academy" event since I need to work more on my power/speed/skating skills.

Nova, hope you feel better and that your back mends soon!
It was a fun weekend, and I hope some of you will compete at the Central Carolina Classic in early April! The website is www.centralcarolinasc.com
:)

sk8pics
02-07-2005, 09:07 AM
I also got the chance to see sk8pics's interpretive - great job! Especially given the lesson and coaching unpredictability of the past week. I love the music, and sk8pics interprets it well. and I didn't see all of sk8pics's FS program (my coach had me doing stretching and stuff in the lobby and then I had to run and get my skates on), but the part I saw looked good. Unfortunately, I missed the "first-rate" spirals.

Thanks for your kind words, Debbie. I was happy with how I skated each program, especially considering how badly I was skating just a few days before the competition! But I really couldn't have asked for anything more.
The spiral was definitely better in the free program, though! On the interpretive warmup I actually got a cramp in my hamstring doing a spiral, and so it wasn't so good in the program, which was disappointing.

I was a bit disappointed in my FS event. I feel that I skated well, better than HC anyway, although I still didn't land the loop, but I was bummed to end up last. I realize that who you compete with is out of your control, and your focus should be on your own skating, yada, yada, yada, and I agree with all that. But I was also chatting with a woman in my event who told me she's only been skating for a little over a year, and this was her first competition. I only saw a bit of her program (I skated last in the group) but I did see that she landed a good loop jump. I've been working on that jump for 2 years, and it still doesn't look like that. My coach says that if I want to place higher in competitions that I have to work on my jumps and get more height, which I agree with, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just don't have enough talent to do freestyle, at least FS competitions.
Hang in there Debbie! I know just what you mean, I was disappointed that not one judge placed me higher than last in the free program. But I think you have improved a lot since the last time I saw you skate, last summer I think! I think it takes a while to learn how to compete, how to construct your programs, and so on. I know I need to add more elements and that's what I'll discuss with my coach this week. And btw congrats on your moves event! I was so impressed with your power 3's! And your spirals were great!

Anyway, I had a lot of fun at this competition and enjoyed meeting some new people. Loved, loved, loved the pairs programs! And also thought starskate6.0 did a wonderful job! I wish I could skate like that! Terri did a great job, too! And Saturday night dinner with 14 people was a lot of fun, too! I think the camaraderie in these competitions is the best part!

Pat

jenlyon60
02-07-2005, 09:08 AM
A layback is generally considered to be a variation of the upright position, so normal to layback to sit would be counted as 1 change of position, not 2 changes of position.

LoopLoop
02-07-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm awfully late getting my thoughts in here!
I'll just go through my events in order. I was using a brand-new freestyle program in silver II this time. After practice Friday afternoon and Saturday morning I decided to take the axel out of my program altogether because I had zero confidence in it, which I think was a good decision because I didn't have anything to freak out about in the program! I was pretty happy with how I skated; the only errors were leaving out the second jump of my loop-loop combination and a wonky landing on my flip right in front of the judges. But I did the rest of my jumps fine, my spins were good (camel-sit-backsit, back camel, and flying sit) and I felt like I skated faster than last year. Second place across the board except for one nice judge who put me first. :) Oddly enough, it was more satisfying than this event last year, when I also placed second but with ordinals scattered all over the place.

On to pairs, which was about 2.5 hours after my freestyle. I thought we skated OK, not our best. We got our new elements out there and they were fine, but our unison was not as good as it usually is, and it felt like a little bit of a struggle. NoVa wasn't feeling that well but we got through it. What WAS strange though, was that the rest of the pairs thought the warmup was on the short side, but we were fine with it.

And then interpretive came later. By that time I was running on pure adrenaline and felt so good after already having skated well twice that day. And my interp program has nothing harder than a sitspin, so I wasn't worried about the elements at all. In the warmup I did each of the jumps twice, and one or two spins, then just spent the rest of the time stroking around, doing cross strokes, slide chasses, etc., and even got off the warmup a minute early because I just felt ready to skate. Terri C skated first and then it was my turn, and when I got out on the ice it was almost an out-of-body experience. I've never been less nervous to skate and I've only ever done one runthrough better in practice than I did in the competition. I felt like I was flying and was so thrilled when I finished, because for the first time I felt like a SKATER, not an ADULT skater. Felt so good about the performance that I didn't care at all what the judges thought, and I appreciate all of the nice comments and support from everybody.

Now the trick is to take that feeling and memory into my freestyle program.

dani
02-07-2005, 09:28 AM
I am quite sad that I missed it!!! Congrats to every one that skated!! I can't wait to see all of my friends again at the Peach!! (I will miss AN this year, unfortunately)

flo
02-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Loops - congrats. When you feel like that, and you're not recognized by the judges - it's dissapointing, but you feel like you've already won. When you have one of those performances and get recognized for what you did, it's wonderful.

skaternum
02-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Skaternum, will u be at spin class Thursday? Thanks for getting my tapes! My DC friends were very impressed by your pairs skating and thought David looked so young. They also liked your costumes. I am going to sign up for the Feb. 26th skating "academy" event since I need to work more on my power/speed/skating skills.Yes, I'll be at spin class on Thursday, so I'll bring your tapes then. David looks young??? He'll be so pleased to hear it. I think we do okay, considering he's 42 and I'm 40. ;) I'm also planning on doing the Feb. 26th HPSA.

Unfortunately, I came down with a nasty cold this weekend. I'm home from work today because of it. I think my body just gave out finally from the stress! Haha. My apologies in advance if I unwittingly infected anyone at the rink this weekend.

BTW, I think sk8pics should get the "Hardest Worker on Practice Ice" award. I never saw that girl stop during her practice ice sessions.

sk8pics
02-07-2005, 10:15 AM
BTW, I think sk8pics should get the "Hardest Worker on Practice Ice" award. I never saw that girl stop during her practice ice sessions.

Aw, gee thanks! I'll have to tell my coach that! I had a LOT to work on, though, LOL! I was really impressed with your skating, especially when we were on the same ice so I could observe close up.

Pat

LoopLoop
02-07-2005, 10:24 AM
So, the rest of the weekend...
It was great to see everybody again, and sk8pics, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you! If I leave anybody out in my comments below, I apologize in advance.

First off, I think the performance of the weekend belonged to InsideAxel. He rocked out there, and some of us gave him a standing ovation! Gets better every time I see him. 8-) Also way up there was Beth Delano in masters ladies, competing with a new program and her usual amazing speed, spins, jumps, etc. Her layback puts most of the kids out there to shame.

In pairs, skaternum and partner were terrific, I think better than at Peach. Tim and Debbie also had a good skate, cleaner than at Halloween Classic. Cooper and Jones had a rough time, but I was amazed they got through it considering they'd been off the ice with injuries and illness, and there are many better performances in their future. The back press lift is cool though, I want one!

Debbie S, don't get down on yourself. Your presentation was better than when I saw you at Halloween, you're still getting used to competing, and you have a lovely attitude position. Also in pre-bronze, Terri C had good speed even though it wasn't her best skate. We've all been there! Two years ago at this event I placed sixth out of seven after making I think four mistakes in my program. I ditched the program the next day though.

As for interp, the programs that placed well weren't just costumes and comedy; they were good programs which carried their themes throughout and were well-performed. First place in my group (interp II) was Oksana-at-age 60 or so, and it was very well done. Second place was skaternum with Crazy, and again it was well-skated and well thought out. Third place was Diana with her wind-up toy program. I don't know remember what the rest of the programs were (except Terri C's, which was a similar style to mine), but I didn't do interp to compete, I did it for myself.

The silver men's event was a really tough group this time. Tim Covington placed first (in his first adult competition ever!) with a beautiful program; Tim Fisher was second with a clean skate, and Tim David was third with a strong performance as well. Yep, it was a Tim Sweep. NoVa was fourth with not his best skate, but he wasn't feeling well most of the weekend, he had a new version of his music, and he and skaternum might have just a little bit too much fun.

I guess that's enough rambling for now. ;)

skatingatty
02-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Here are some pics from the competition. I took more but some were fuzzy or crummy. There are pics of Beth, Marna, Lori & David, Terri, Karen, and me.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judytseng2001/album?.dir=/e594&.src=ph

Debbie S
02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Debbie S, don't get down on yourself. Your presentation was better than when I saw you at Halloween, you're still getting used to competing, and you have a lovely attitude position. Also in pre-bronze, Terri C had good speed even though it wasn't her best skate. We've all been there! Two years ago at this event I placed sixth out of seven after making I think four mistakes in my program. I ditched the program the next day though.
Thanks, Loops! One of my goals is to learn a layback spin, although every time I try it, I fall on my rear. I'm getting a new program, too. I gave my coach some music to listen to about a month ago, and she's working on selecting the exact cuts we'll use. It's from "Sunset Boulevard" - I saw a Bronze skater skate to it at HC (different selections than I'm using) and thought she did a good job with it. I decided I needed music that ends on a crescendo, so I can tell when it's coming. One of my struggles with my current music is that it fades out at the end and it's hard to tell when it stops. In fact, I finished a bit early yesterday (I usually finish late) but I didn't realize it until after I came out of my scratch spin and needed to ad-lib some hand movements quickly! Afterward, my coach commented that I could have held my back spiral longer - I would have, if I had known...

....he and skaternum might have just a little bit too much fun.

:lol: :lol:

flo
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Debbie,
Come on by, I'll teach you a layback. At first it was my combination spin (layback-fallback).
How did Claudia skate?

Debbie S
02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks, flo. Claudia skated OK. She had some problems with her axel and double toes (she's got 2 in her program!) but she presented well. It was her first competition since AN so she was understandably a little rusty. She says she's glad she now has all of the mistakes out of her system. Actually, she did a good double toe in the warm-up. Hopefully, she'll land it at Sectionals.

NoVa Sk8r
02-07-2005, 11:54 AM
On to pairs, which was about 2.5 hours after my freestyle. I thought we skated OK, not our best. We got our new elements out there and they were fine, but our unison was not as good as it usually is, and it felt like a little bit of a struggle. NoVa wasn't feeling that well but we got through it. What WAS strange though, was that the rest of the pairs thought the warmup was on the short side, but we were fine with it.Thanks to Loops for being the "rock" in the team. I really had to rely on her for keeping me cool, calm, and collected. And I thank her for keeping my spirits high.

She skated very well in her 2 other events. I was glad to see that she didn't exhibit one iota of nervousness. She looked incredibly calm and free in her interp, and those emotions matched the music and her gorgeous dress. Kudos!

InsideAxel
02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
First off, I think the performance of the weekend belonged to InsideAxel. He rocked out there, and some of us gave him a standing ovation! Gets better every time I see him. 8-)

:oops: That's very flattering LoopLoop. I must say I was pleased with my skate, and with Ross and Dennis having such wonderful performances made it a great event all around. Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words...its all very humbling. :)

Everyone who skated deserves a hearty congratulations...alot of people don't realize the guts it takes just to get out there.

I also thought everything was well organized and ran pretty smoothly (at least on Saturday when I was there). Save a few drop outs of the music system, everything went off without a hitch, and the schedule even ran early in a couple of places. Good job to the organizers!

C'ya!

Kelton

daisies
02-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Here are some pics from the competition. I took more but some were fuzzy or crummy. There are pics of Beth, Marna, Lori & David, Terri, Karen, and me.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judytseng2001/album?.dir=/e594&.src=ph
I can't seem to access this. Am I the only one?

Also way up there was Beth Delano in masters ladies, competing with a new program and her usual amazing speed, spins, jumps, etc. Her layback puts most of the kids out there to shame.
I love to watch Beth skate. Her spins, especially the layback, are to die for. I can't wait to see her at AN!

Congrats to everyone who competed!

jenlyon60
02-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I survived the Hospitality arena again....

I plan to be out of the Hospitality business by no later than 31 August of this year.

Hope everyone enjoyed our reception. If you would like more of a real off-site competitor party (there was some discussion online before-hand, as I recall), suggest everyone contact the WFSC organizers and mention the idea.

Also, if you have any other suggestions on how the competition could be improved (other than the sound system problems which were mostly beyond our capability to fix), please pass them along to the organizers, especially while the event is fresh in everyone's mind.

skatingatty
02-07-2005, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=daisies]I can't seem to access this. Am I the only one?

Doh!! It only works for me if I am logged in. Darn. I don't know how to get it to work. If you want me to forward the link directly to you via email, please let me know your email account and I'll share the album w/you. Sorry!

Addendum: try this--
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judytseng2001/my_photos

jenlyon60
02-07-2005, 02:01 PM
The full results of the competition are available on the Washington FSC web site (http://www.wfsc.net) for viewing or download as a Word document.

daisies
02-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Doh!! It only works for me if I am logged in. Darn. I don't know how to get it to work. If you want me to forward the link directly to you via email, please let me know your email account and I'll share the album w/you. Sorry!
I sent you a private message. :)

Oh wait ....

Addendum: try this--
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judytseng2001/my_photos
It works! Great pics! :)

flo
02-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Great pics - thanks!

Figureskates
02-07-2005, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=InsideAxel
Everyone who skated deserves a hearty congratulations...alot of people don't realize the guts it takes just to get out there.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!! Knowing a few adult skaters who do compete, truer words have never been spoken.

coskater64
02-07-2005, 02:36 PM

I saw you skate and I remember thinking, oops, one to many jumps. You never see 4 jump combos, and technically a combo is 2 jumps but you can add a third but you never see 4. It was a nice grouping though.

TimDavidSkate
02-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey Nova,
So sorry that happened to you

NoVa Sk8r
02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Hey Nova,
So sorry that happened to youBetter here than at nationals ... I hope to be 110% by then. <<crosses fingers>>

techskater
02-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Unless it was posted in the announcement, the judge was misinformed

skaternum
02-08-2005, 01:46 PM
I posted some pictures, if you'd like to see. Obviously, they're pretty me-centric, since it was my camera and my friend taking a lot of them. :)

skaternum's pictures (http://www.saybee.com/gallery)

One of my friends may get hers done in the next few days. I'll post that link as it becomes available.

Figureskates
02-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Great pictures!!

Thank you so much for sharing.

NoVa Sk8r
02-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Awesome pics, skaternum ... I am *SO* glad that only one hotel room shot was posted! :halo: :P

Debbie S
02-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Awesome pics, skaternum ... I am *SO* glad that only one hotel room shot was posted! :halo: :P

Is that you in the picture, NoVa? I didn't recognize you with the lampshade on. :)

Oh, and check out my signature line. I was going to use "camel spin", but skaternum beat me to it.

Terri C, if you read this, can you clean out your PM box? I tried to send you something yesterday.

NoVa Sk8r
02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Is that you in the picture, NoVa? I didn't recognize you with the lampshade on. :)

Oh, and check out my signature line. I was going to use "camel spin", but skaternum beat me to it.No, that's not me in the lampshade. My poses, um, were a little less dignified. But others were less so than mine. Something tells me those "other pics" might someday be revealed. :twisted: :P

I'm loving all the new sig lines, too! 8-)

skatingatty
02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Great pictures! Why can't I get any good pictures of people while they're skating.... I need a better digital camera. Beautiful spiral position, skaternum!

Beccapoo2003
02-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Great pics and reviews! :)
Skaternum, if you ever get the camel figured out, lemme know!! :frus: :frus:
Hugs,
Becca

sk8pics
02-08-2005, 06:09 PM
I posted some pictures, if you'd like to see.

Hey, you posted the shot I took of you at the Saturday morning practice ice, cool! Perhaps next time I will have my real camera with me and can take a better shot! It was nice to see all the pictures.

Pat

flo
02-08-2005, 06:42 PM
I think my sig would be:
How many attempts does it take to fix flo's skates?
4 and counting (not to mention the hockey puck, golf ball and d batteries that I stuck in there or the two blow dryers I cary in my bag to warm them up with to get my feet in.

Terri C
02-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Terri C, if you read this, can you clean out your PM box? I tried to send you something yesterday.

Debbie and anyone else- send away!

Terri C
02-08-2005, 06:50 PM

Tee-heee!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Super pictures, Skaternum! Hey, if you're watching, not skating, at AN, you can show me and Husband a few lifts like the one on that podium shot! I am determined to get at least one good lift in both our free dance and our Artistic Couples routine this year!

skaternum
02-09-2005, 06:12 AM
Super pictures, Skaternum! Hey, if you're watching, not skating, at AN, you can show me and Husband a few lifts like the one on that podium shot! I am determined to get at least one good lift in both our free dance and our Artistic Couples routine this year!Will do! We have one of those stag (aka baby doll) lifts as a little in-between move in our program -- they're really pretty and not too tough on the man. He can still see ahead of him, unlike some of the other pair lifts.

Glad you guys are enjoying the pics. There'll probably be another batch later. The more "risque" of the pics are being saved for the ... oops, can't give it away! Let's just say, they're being saved for later. :twisted:

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Will do! We have one of those stag (aka baby doll) lifts as a little in-between move in our program -- they're really pretty and not too tough on the man. He can still see ahead of him, unlike some of the other pair lifts.Well, Other Woman and her husband can do one, so I fail to see why we can't!

Glad you guys are enjoying the pics. There'll probably be another batch later. The more "risque" of the pics are being saved for the ... oops, can't give it away! Let's just say, they're being saved for later. :twisted:I want one of those things you can't give away when you can give them away, so please save one for me! :twisted:

skaternum
02-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Beautiful spiral position, skaternum!Thanks. I made sure I got one picture with the blue dress on. My dad gave it to me for Christmas, and I want to show him that I wore it in a competition. (Yes, I'm 40 years old, but I'm still Daddy's Princess.) :D