View Full Version : Just A Little Competition - For Heaven's Sakes!

dbny
01-27-2005, 09:09 AM
One of the rinks where I coach had a little (40 skaters) in-house competition. The very word "competition" seems to bring out the worst in some coaches and parents. Last year, when a particular skater got second instead of first, his coach had a fit over it, and demanded to know why (edges!). The same skater got first this year, and the coach came over to me afterwards with sincerest thanks. I told him he didn't need to thank me, as I was only doing my job, and his skater deserved first. Then he actually brought up last year, implying that he was pleased that I had come to my senses (I was the only one of last year's judges to judge again this year). Ugh!

On the parent side of the equasion, one mom was complaining that the coach (me, but I didn't judge the events my students were in) had put her child in a group that was too high for her, and that explained her fourth place finish (out of four). Every skater got a medal, and this was a very young one, who would not feel badly about fourth unless she picked it up from mom. The sad thing is, she still would have been last at a lower level, because she completely flubbed an important element (which she can normally do just fine). I think the poor tyke was tired out, having had a lesson that morning, and mom should have been happy that she skated at all.

These little competitions could be so much fun, if only people would relax and not read more into them than is warranted! There were several single entry skaters who received a medal and a critique. I enjoyed judgeing them the most because I got to say nice things about their skating and also offer a bit of constructive criticism.

garyc254
01-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Arghhhhh!!!

Everyone always deserves a better ranking than they got.

Even the first place winners' coaches & families think the skater should have been appointed Supreme Commander, too. :frus: :lol: :giveup:

I know that's not true of most parents & coaches, but it only takes a few to make it seem that way.

{{{{dbny}}}}

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Thankfully, at our rink, the in-house competitions aren't taken too seriously. Everybody has fun, and there are usually games on the ice afterwards. Mind you, one child was in tears after coming 2nd in her first competition - her Mum and I were very bracing and said how clever of her to have placed so high!

You do, of course, get the odd "skating parent", but that attitude is seriously discouraged, and they go away after awhile.....

dbny
01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
I just heard today that the parents of one skater who was third of three, complained that it was because I (yes, moi) do not like her. I could not even figure out who this was until my memory was jogged by the name of another skater in that event. I did remember her then and remembered why my scores for her were not the best. I had even made a note of it on my scoring sheet, because her skating was otherwise impressive. I really do not know this child, but have skated on freestyles when she has her lesson. I think her parents picked me out for blame because I was the only face among the judges that they recognized. They are going to complain to the USFS and ask to have the score changed :roll: The skating director told them very sweetly "go ahead." I hope they don't know my address.

iceygold
01-27-2005, 09:32 PM
dbny, your poor thing. I know exactly what you are talking about. Parents who suddenly have become world championship judges. Thinking you can complain and get a score changed in a low level competition is beyond ridiculous. These parents really need to get a life and let the kids just skate. I always used to say to skaters go and do a personal best! where you place is irrelevant so long as you can do your best on the day. These whinging parents have never read a rulebook, have no idea there is a world outside their rink etc. I have a lot of friends who are national, international and olympic judges and the abuse they been subjected to by parents who do not understand the elements, (most cannot tell one element from the next!) is quite horrendous.

I do agree you can get variances in judging at lower levels, hell it is even there at the higher levels but overall 99 percent of the time the result is the correct one.

skatemum
01-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Couldn't agree more with all of the comments, it is the elitism of a few that spoil a fun competition. I, as a parent, don't pretend to know the technical side of things, I just know what and who I like to watch, and will tell those skaters that I enjoyed their skate no matter where they place.

It is however heartening to know that it is really only a minority who behave badly. Keep up the good work all the judges without you there would be no competitions. :bow:

garyc254
01-28-2005, 10:35 AM
One of our local USFS judges makes lots of notes while judging and goes over them with each skater after they compete/test. She notes both good and bad points so that the skaters learn where their strengths and weaknesses are.

She considers each competition and test a learning tool for the skaters.

I was truly impressed while helping her at a basic skills competition. She was so good with the youngsters and tried to leave each one feeling good about their skate no matter what place they came in.

:bow:

dbny
01-28-2005, 02:09 PM
One of our local USFS judges makes lots of notes while judging and goes over them with each skater after they compete/test. She notes both good and bad points so that the skaters learn where their strengths and weaknesses are.

I would love to do that, but when a comp with only 40 skaters takes 3 hours, it's difficult to get the time to write notes. I will have to devise a shorthand for myself.

Isk8NYC
01-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Please don't worry about these trivial people! The rink is lucky to have such a fair and impartial coach on staff. Judges are very hard to come by. I believe it's a volunteer activity, which is all the more appalling. If at least we were getting paid off by the parents to judge .... SORRY! I'M ONLY KIDDING! :lol:

I'm sure all of this hysteria is from "heat of the moment" reactions. Most will come to nothing because it will be forgotten in a week. All that you can do is suffer the fools and be prepared to turn away confrontations. Just push it off on the Director, who handles them very well. (Although it really bothers her, she hides it well.)

samba
01-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I can remember many many years ago (here I go again), when in competition one poor little skater would get her face slapped by her mother if she didn't consider her to have done well enough, needless to say neither lasted the course. :cry:

dbny
01-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Please don't worry about these trivial people! The rink is lucky to have such a fair and impartial coach on staff. Judges are very hard to come by. I believe it's a volunteer activity, which is all the more appalling. If at least we were getting paid off by the parents to judge .... SORRY! I'M ONLY KIDDING! :lol:

I'm sure all of this hysteria is from "heat of the moment" reactions. Most will come to nothing because it will be forgotten in a week. All that you can do is suffer the fools and be prepared to turn away confrontations. Just push it off on the Director, who handles them very well. (Although it really bothers her, she hides it well.)

I sent you a PM. You probably know who these people are, and there is more info that I don't feel comfy with on the forum.

Isk8NYC
01-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Give it a week or two and see how this shakes (skates?) out.