View Full Version : little backyard rink

kayskate
01-25-2005, 02:07 PM
I am experimenting w/ making a patio into an ice rink in my yard. It is
small, but will make a good spin space if I can get the ice to smooth out. I
am in the layering stage now. I do not have a liner, but am using a packed
snow base, which is certainly more difficult. However, this is a last minute
whim on 0 budget.

There are some picks and journal entries about this project on my site.

www.skatejournal.com/current.html

Kay

Melzorina
01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
There are some picks

Did you mean that intentionally, as in toe picks for pics? Or was it an accident? If it wasn't it was cute. Even if it was, I like it!

backspin
01-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Ssooooo,

How's it going? & how are you going to get the ice smooth? I've pondered this in the past, so I'm intrigued!

kayskate
01-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Gee, I did not even notice the "picks". It is the sort of thing spellcheck won't catch. I guess it is cute. Too made it was not intentional.

It is very difficult to smooth the ice. I think I will have to buy a garden tool to scrape the ice. Something like a hoe. I am getting a good solid layer though. I will continue to post entries on my site and will post on this board if I actually can skate on the thing.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
01-26-2005, 06:51 AM
I used to skate on frozen cow ponds and irrigation ditches when I was a kid (eons ago) and when the ice got all chewed up we used to throw buckets of water on top to 'resurface'

Of course, you could just flood the top with a very thin layer of water, that might be easier than resurfacing with a hoe.

just my 2 cents worth.

Terry

spinningtiger
01-26-2005, 11:05 PM
I ususally put up a rink every winter but here it is getting to mild our rink was frozen and then it was too cold like -20 to -30 c and now it is +6 to 10 so my poor little rink is melting! :( well any ways how I get it super super smooth !@!!! is by putting a thin flood of hot water ( I turn my hot watertank off and hook up the hose to the bottom and flood my rink just a thin flood and then in a few hours it is perfect !
I think the hot water makes it meld to the other Ice and makes it smooth?
well here is my 2 cents

Melzorina
01-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Are you all adding 2 cents to make a...er.. Dollar?

NYC
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
I am experimenting w/ making a patio into an ice rink in my yard. It is
small, but will make a good spin space if I can get the ice to smooth out. I
am in the layering stage now. I do not have a liner, but am using a packed
snow base, which is certainly more difficult. However, this is a last minute
whim on 0 budget.

Kay

Lucky you. I've always wanted to have a mini ice surface in the back of my yard.