View Full Version : Flowing or toe-ing: 24-30 January 2005

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Flowing: Got my gym-teacher friend to show me the proper stretch for spirals & extension, which was fine, except that I then ran through most of my off-ice strength training to show her, which I didn't really need to do today, having done it yesterday, and am now really stiff! She also showed me a dynamic posture exercise, which was very hard!

On-ice most things went well - managed half a side of back cross-cuts before grinding to a halt, which is progress - need to hold them a bit longer, and I'll be down the length of the rink! Also managed clockwise back progressive runs and back crossovers, which I have had trouble with before. Worked on my spins with a friend - getting 2.5 revolutions consistently, but almost never 3. Husband and I worked on Swing Dance Mohawk, progressive runs in Waltz hold, and bits of our Free Dance. Also walked through the Willow Waltz, and had a play with the Hickory Hoedown, which I am very thankful is neither part of our test structure, nor in the pre-Bronze compulsory dances this year! I hope it never is.... I ought to be able to do that 3-turn, but still have problems with it.

Toe-ing: A lot of the time I felt really slow on the ice today. Changes-of-edge not working properly - my shoulders were wrong, and again, they were too slow. Back outside edges a bit toe-y, but what day aren't they. Didn't think my back inside edges were as good as last week, either. When I did back chasses, the chasse part was a bit two-footed, I thought.

Tried on a pair of skates that have been discarded by another skater, but still in good condition. S P Teris, top-of-the-range, would give me at least 2 years' wear, if not more (they are broken in, but not yet broken down). Alas, alas, they were 1/2 a size too small. It was marginal, and I could have had the toe-box punched out easily enough, but I think they would have rubbed so much that it would not have been worth it. What a pity!

backspin
01-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Flowy: my moves (intermediate) are getting better & I haven't tripped myself in mid-exercise in a whole week! Weird thing is on my back power 3 end pattern, what was my bad side on my juvenile test is now my good side, & vice versa. What the...?? I do still hate that end pattern since it's so shallow it freaks me out to have to turn off almost no edge. Also I'm skating multiple patterns of my Rocker Foxtrot, and can almost always get two decent patterns on time when the music is on.

Toe-ey: Half the time my rocker turn is still a 3 turn with a big ol' change of edge coming out. *sigh* It's not consistent, & I can't feel when it's wrong. I'll come out thinking, "oooo, good turn!" & then go look at the tracing, and see how bad it really was! 6 weeks til the test session.......

Terri C
01-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Yesterday's lesson:
Flowy:
The killer workout that Coach gave me by running both freeskate and Interp programs back to back.

Freeskate program- all but the ending backscratch :frus:

Caught a edge going into my closing spread eagle on the Interp runthrough! :roll:

Oh and, got my dresses back last night- all stoned up!!! :D Now onto the rough decisions- what to bring spirit wise. Will it be Bud Light, Smirnoff, or Sutter Home. This is for the New Year's competition, by the way!

Toe-ing:
Almost did my waltz toe right into a kid. I managed to stop, but I would've had right of way anyway!

Debbie S
01-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Will it be Bud Light, Smirnoff, or Sutter Home.

I vote for the Sutter Home. But don't break it out on Sunday before FS. My loop-toe and camel-sit are hard enough to do fully sober! :lol:

Flowing: My run-through yesterday was good, considering my nasty cold that I hope goes away before next week. My coach said my camel-sit was the best she'd seen. She said that's the one I should put in the competition (um, OK, I'll do my best....). I guess anything would be an improvement over the one I attempted at HC.

Power 3's are getting better. When I told my coach that I couldn't imagine 25 minutes would be enough time for 8 skaters to do power 3's and spirals, my coach said that each person probably wouldn't take more than 2 minutes. When I responded that at the level of speed I get up to, I would need at least 5 minutes, she timed one of my patterns and told me I did it in 1 1/2 minutes - wow! I guess it just seems like I'm out there forever! :)

Toe-ing: Previously mentioned nasty cold. I felt like I was huffing and puffing (or was it coughing?) the whole time I skated. And in my run-through, I finished behind the music.

flo
01-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Flowing: Managed to skate a bit today and worked on the program.

Toe-ing: My skates are killing my feet, so much that it's just plain painful to skate. I called Skater's Paradise to make sure they would be open tomorrow, and I hear that they are moving. They will have shop hours tomorrow, but and are now by appointment only! Hope I can get through before I drive down. :frus:

mikawendy
01-25-2005, 04:00 PM
:D Now onto the rough decisions- what to bring spirit wise. Will it be Bud Light, Smirnoff, or Sutter Home. This is for the New Year's competition, by the way!

If I'm able to come spectate that weekend, I'll try to bring some Natty Boh! :D (National Bohemian, a Maryland specialty). But I don't know if I'll be able to make it--my husband will be returning from out of town and I've got to get him from the airport (not Dulles, unfortunately), and I've got a lesson on Sunday.

mikawendy
01-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Flowing:

Toe-ing: My skates are killing my feet, so much that it's just plain painful to skate. I called Skater's Paradise to make sure they would be open tomorrow, and I hear that they are moving. They will have shop hours tomorrow, but and are now by appointment only! Hope I can get through before I drive down. :frus:

Where are they moving to!? I always liked going to their Alexandria location because I could take stroking class at Mt. Vernon afterwards to get used to the new sharpening.

Will they always be appointment only now, or will they go back to store hours once the move is complete?

NoVa Sk8r
01-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Where are they moving to!? I always liked going to their Alexandria location because I could take stroking class at Mt. Vernon afterwards to get used to the new sharpening.

Will they always be appointment only now, or will they go back to store hours once the move is complete?They are moving all the way out to Waldorf, MD. It's about a 30-minute drive from the former Alexandria location (across the Wilson Bridge and into southern Maryland). There is going to be a 90,000 sq ft sports complex opening in Waldorf (or that has opened), which has a skating rink in it. The Skater's Paradise shop will be located in the facility. Guess I'll be driving out there a few times per year.

NCSkater02
01-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Flowing: Mohawks went well, was getting the L-R mostly under control. It's progress, because I was unable to do it before with out severely dragging the right foot while bringing it in. Scratch spins went ok, still struggling with getting the free leg in front. Jumps went really well, got the steps of the salchow back, and was looking forward to showing my coach on Wed. lesson.

Toe-ing: With about 10 minutes left in the session, I went back to spinning. Bad move, because I caught an edge and landed awkwardly. I broke my left fibula, :cry: so I'm off ice (and possibly work) for 6-8 weeks. No competitions for me this year. The good news is that it is non-displaced and non operative. Vicoden is my friend right now.

Terri C
01-25-2005, 07:12 PM
I vote for the Sutter Home. But don't break it out on Sunday before FS. My loop-toe and camel-sit are hard enough to do fully sober! :lol: .

I won't be breaking out any alcohol on Sunday- I have a 3 1/2-4 hour drive home after the competition. But, given the right circumstances, I might bring a vodka nip for one skater. ;)

Terri C
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Flowing:Toe-ing: With about 10 minutes left in the session, I went back to spinning. Bad move, because I caught an edge and landed awkwardly. I broke my left fibula, :cry: so I'm off ice (and possibly work) for 6-8 weeks. No competitions for me this year. The good news is that it is non-displaced and non operative. Vicoden is my friend right now.

I'm so sorry about your broken ankle! That's gotta hurt!! :cry: :evil:

Shinn-Reika
01-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Flowing: Learned two more jumps: Loop and Sal. I find that the Sal is much easier. I just can't get any momentum on the Loop, and I keep forgetting it. Also, now that I'm bringing my arms in, I can land the previous three that I learned ( Toe, Flip, Waltz). I'm not the best, and I'm just starting to get some height on my Waltz, but I haven't known them for very long.'

Toeing: This was probably more of an edge, but I cut the cord of my Earbuds ( Ipod Earphones) clean. Didn't realize blades could be that sharp. Had to shell out 40$ (a lot to me now) to get a replacement pair that has bad bass. MY spins are still not that great, but we have yet to work on them.

flo
01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Rats! NoVa - have, you been down there since they were appt only? I'm hoping to get there beore this weekend.
Mika, I think they will go back to normal after the move. It's already an hour and a half - I think I'll use your sharpener or fed ex them down there for sharpening.

NoVa Sk8r
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Rats! NoVa - have, you been down there since they were appt only? I'm hoping to get there beore this weekend.Nope; I saw Mike on Dec. 30.
And my favorite sharpener--JP--will no longer be working there. :(

NoVa Sk8r
01-25-2005, 10:25 PM
But, given the right circumstances, I might bring a vodka nip for one skater. ;)Wow, skaternum will love that. ;) :D

Thin-Ice
01-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Flowing: The knee I banged up so badly last week when I took an ice dive doesn't hurt much. In fact, my lesson last Friday with my primary coach consisted of RFO 3-turns and loop jumps from a RFI-3 (I even did a reasonable loop-loop!) I also worked a bit on backspins.. and managed to get 3-5 revolutions. :) THAT's a first!

Toe-ing: Now my LEFT knee hurts and doesn't have as much strength as usual! Maybe it's from favoring the right knee for a few days? But it's not keeping me from skating.. there's just not much knee bend on that side, making jumping, stroking, footwork and moves MORE difficult than usual. (At least my coach can see I'm TRYING to bend my knee.. so I'm not constantly hearing "Bend your knees more!" from across the rink.)

Casey
01-26-2005, 03:02 AM
Flowy: Got new and wonderful footbeds for my skates from http://www.yoursole.com/ . I wanted better arch support to counter the pronation in my ankle. The Grafs have a good bit of arch support already, but these added more. They are more comfortable (after I got used to them), and didn't affect my skating for better or worse, so all is good. The advertise hockey skating as one of the sports that can benefit (http://www.yoursole.com/sports/hockey.htm), but seems to work fine for figure skating too. Just needed a bit of scissorwork to make them a bit more narrow.

Toey: Well that's the right word for it. Fell down a couple times because I was skating along and got lazy and let the free leg drift down and the toepick caught the ice. Of course this wouldn't have been a problem if I was skating properly with my leg straight behind me instead of bent at my side, but that's what I get for not paying attention and being lazy. Fell on the sore spot again, of course. Not so bad of a fall this time, but it was already sensitive, so it *felt* bad.

Mrs Redboots
01-26-2005, 07:28 AM
Flowy: Had a really good morning this morning, including my lesson. Two pairs skaters from Chicago came to visit us - they're in London for the week, which, sadly, means they won't be at the Mountain Cup, but it was great to skate with them, and they had a lesson with my coach, who loves teaching pairs. Then we went out for a coffee afterwards, and I saw lots of photos from all sorts of competitions.

On the ice, well, my coach has decided that "Since your feet have got so much better, and your body has got so much better, it's time to go up a level", and we are now focussing on extension, arm-position, line, posture..... forward cross-rolls with extension, for instance. "You'll probably go up on your toes", he said, but I didn't :D Which surprised him! :twisted:

Worked all sorts of basic stuff, and the improvement is amazing! I am quite nearly getting the back cross-cuts, even - I do still run out of steam about half-way down the rink, but they are coming very nicely.

The elites had been doing the Circle Cycle when our friends arrived (oh, who was it asking about the pairs clinic? I asked, on your behalf, if it was happening and was told probably July), and they hadn't met it before, so my coach spent time working with them on some of the exercises - so, of course, I ended up doing them too. I didn't have the nerve when the elites were doing it, but they had left by then!

Toe-y: Walked through the Fiesta Tango with my coach, and really, the steps after the Mohawk are dire. So was made to work on my mohawk sequence, which has the same step to forward that I find so difficult. Yuck.

And I am so stiff now, and don't know how I'm going to do my off-ice training, which is due to be done today. What I really want to do is have a nap!

NCSkater02
01-26-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm so sorry about your broken ankle! That's gotta hurt!! :cry: :evil:

Vicodin keeps it under control. However, I ache all over from the crutch walking and keeping all my weight on my right leg.

At least it happened before I bought fabric to make this years competition dresses. :roll:

LoopLoop
01-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Flo, at the new Skaters Paradise location Mike will only be working a couple of days a week, pretty much by appointment only. This is his way of easing into retirement; after two or three years at the new place he and Joan will be walking away for good. :cry:

russiet
01-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Flowing....5 weeks since I set aside the hockey skates, and last night my instructor got me doing waltz jumps. Good body posture and all....Woo-hoo! It was a goal of mine to do at least one simple jump before I turned 50 (March), so I made that one with room to spare.

Toe-ing....Anything involving the correct use of the toe pick. Last night it was clutz on ice trying to do a "simple" Mazurka.

I'm thinking edge jumps will be my forte.

flo
01-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Loops/Nova
Rats rats rats! Where will JP be going?

NoVa Sk8r
01-26-2005, 09:32 AM
JP told me he will be doing government work.
He really was the best sharpener/honer. :cry: :cry: :cry:

flo
01-26-2005, 11:52 AM
My boots have an appt on Friday. Hope it helps.

jazzpants
01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Flowy: Forward stroking around the rink towards the end of the session! It felt really fast and I was going at a good clip. WHOA!!! Also, forward spins and sit spins felt pretty decent. I guess I'm starting to get used to the new boots!

Toey: The crowd! I just couldn't do a complete runthrough on ANY of the moves because of this. WAAAAAY too many skaters!!! It's gonna be a LOOOOONG winter!!! :roll:

I'm sorry about the broken ankle, NCSkater02! :cry: I'm sending some healing vibes your way so you'll have a speedy recovery!

plinko
01-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Toe-ing:

Click of death on back crosscuts. I made a nice swath across the ice, lots of zamboni jokes. I laugh and get up, but later my hand feels numb and my elbow is really sore. I never fall on my elbow, it's always my butt, so I hope I won't do this again.

I still can't spin, even after a sharpening. This is concerning me but I won't see freestyle coach for another week.

Flowing:

Not much.

dbny
01-26-2005, 10:02 PM
I caught an edge and landed awkwardly. I broke my left fibula, :cry: so I'm off ice (and possibly work) for 6-8 weeks. No competitions for me this year. The good news is that it is non-displaced and non operative. Vicoden is my friend right now.

How awful! Is it near your ankle, or farther up? Hope you can get off the vicoden soon and heal up quickly!

Flowing:
Yet another lesson with no practice for two weeks. Nevertheless, it was just one of those days when you step onto the ice, and everything feels right. I surprised myself with a decent one foot spin. We did power pulls, and the RF ones were actually ripping, but the LF did not want to cooperate. B were pretty good, as usual. We ended with alternating FO threes, which I could do beautifully with just a tiny spot, but still wimp out on alone.

Toe-ing:
I am just getting no time to practice! This morning I could have had an hour almost to myself, but was too tired and cold after teaching the tots, plus I had to get to the outdoor rink to teach in the afternoon, and then back to the first rink for a competition in the evening (coaching & judging, not skating in it).

Why won't my L foot learn from my R on the F power pulls? It's just plain obnoxious!

pennybeagle
01-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Flowing: Hydroblading! I finally found my balance point and I can get down really low...

Toe-ing: The way my body and knees feel the morning after!

sk8pics
01-27-2005, 06:19 AM
Toe-ing Blech, the ice was pathetic yesterday. And for no good reason as the head coach simply decided not to cut the ice, even though there had been 20+ skaters on the session plus their coaches! ::evil: :evil: As a result, I had a miserable time and don't feel like I accomplished anything. Just what I needed with the New Year's competition coming up in 10 freakin' days. :evil:

Flowing My coach did a great job of being very soothing and HE says I accomplished some stuff. In an effort to calme me down, he also started listing all the free time he has to work with me this week and next, which I do appreciate. Hopefully today will be better. It can't be any worse!

Pat

NCSkater02
01-27-2005, 09:17 AM
How awful! Is it near your ankle, or farther up? Hope you can get off the vicoden soon and heal up quickly!

It's near the ankle--probably within the boot. Not that the boot is anywhere near fitting on my foot right now.

Only one vicodin yesterday, and that after I went to hubby's hockey game and had to prop on hard rather that padded surface. It's getting better. Not nearly fast enough, though.

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Only skated for 45 minutes this morning, and very nearly not at all!

Flowing: "played" with my friend - we did laps of edges, of all kinds, which is good for both of us, and good training for shadow skating, too.

Toe-ing: Not much. The ice was horrible, so what's new? Still can't do a good Fiesta end pattern, and my friend's is brilliant..... hers is nearly ready to test, and mine isn't! Sigh....

flo
01-27-2005, 09:56 AM
NCskater,
Hope you are better soon!

Flowing - I made it to the rink last night.
Toe - The more I try to do, the more the boots attack my feet. There's no way I can even get through the program now, so I'm hoping it will be fixed tomorrow or I'll have to withdraw. Grr.

jazzpants
01-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Flowing: Starting to get that FO3 intro at a faster speed. Now to get it consistent. Best part... did that in FRONT of secondary coach, who was once GRIPING that I don't go in fast enough! :twisted: Power 3's on that side is getting faster...

Toe-ing: Unfortunately, the power 3's on my GOOD side needs work! I got new skates and what was the stronger side is now the BAD side with this new pair of skates!!! GRRRRR!!! :frus: I can't seemed to turn that foot out enough to get a good FO push and am getting that bad habit with turning the foot to FO instead on this side!!! AUUUUGH!!!!

And alt. back crossovers? Not with that large (about 10) group of college (high school?) kids that was hangin' out afterwards... I would never know when they would fall right in front of my path! :evil: (Actually, to be honest, I did managed ONE round.)

mikawendy
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
JP told me he will be doing government work.
He really was the best sharpener/honer. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh, woe is us! I'm really sad to hear that.

I haven't been going down there recently--I use a great pro who was trained by Mike et al., but it's been nice to know that I could always go to JP in a pinch. When I was buying my current boots, he discovered problems about my old pair of boots/blades that no one had detected before!

Michigansk8er
01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Flowing - Nothing at the moment.....working on a new program, and for some reason my brain is not connecting with my feet.

Toe-ing - Trying to not look like an elephant clomping across the ice doing this mohawk/toe hoppy thing. It's not working at the moment.

Terri C
01-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Flowing:
With the exception of the sitspin in my freeskate program :giveup: , the program was clean!!

Toe-ing:
Got to get used to "presenting" in my Interp event- totally rushed through the elements and while they were okay, need to hold and stretch more!

luna_skater
01-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I haven't posted in this thread for a while, because I've been kind of frustrated...but now.....

Flowing: Finally had a GREAT session today! I'm working on my gold skills, and everything in general is just starting to get easier...which is making me braver, in general, which is helping my skating, in general! :lol: Double threes are really coming along now, and counters are alot stronger. The helicopter turns are even improving! Just had one of those days where I came off exhausted, but feeling awesome!

Toeing: Not much to complain about! One of my bigger obstacles right now is the little hop in the second exercise. It's only a quarter rotation, but I don't like to leave the ice! I chicken out every time I go at it with speed.

pennybeagle
01-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Flowing - Nothing at the moment.....working on a new program, and for some reason my brain is not connecting with my feet.

Toe-ing - Trying to not look like an elephant clomping across the ice doing this mohawk/toe hoppy thing. It's not working at the moment.

:D The mohawk/toe hoppy thing! I am not sure what you mean, but my coach put something like that in my program as well (something like a toe-hoppy mohawk thing to a slide chasse??), and I totally understand the "elephant" feeling. (We have since taken the step out of the program...after much begging on my part). Jenny Kirk does the move extremely well in her exhibition program...I noticed it right away, and I thought--ohhh...THAT'S what it's supposed to look like...

jazzpants
01-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Flowing:

One of my runthroughs on the alt back crossovers until the very end. It was very powerful, very fast and very smooth! I was like WHOA!!! 8O
Speaking of the mohawk-hoppy thing... 5 step mohawks were cleaner today, but it's still kinda "klunk"-ish.
My forward power 3's are slightly faster. I wonder if either of my coaches noticed it.
Alt forward crossovers weren't so bad! It's actually pretty good this afternoon, though definitely NOT my best ones.
Toe-ing:

WAAAAY too many people on the FS session. Then again, I *should* know better than to be on the afternoon freestyle session! (Then again, I'd rather skate on a crowded FS session than to stay home and going stir crazy waiting for a job offer!) :P
My forward power 3's are still too slow.
Still on the forward power 3's -- for the most part, my RFO3 -- my good side -- is definitely my new bad side now!!! I have been stepping onto a RFI edge and then turning the foot to a RFO edge instead. The one good thing for today though is that there were some cases where I was able to step to a RFO edge, but it's kinda clunky too. (But yeap, the big secret ingredient -- BENT YOUR KNEES and ANKLES DEEPLY!!!)
Back crossover to BO edge: a bit funky... on the BO edge extension part of the move, the extension is to the side rather than straight behind me and my primary coach wants it straight behind me. It's not as bad, but I could feel that it could be better...

jazzpants
01-28-2005, 01:27 AM
Flowing:

One of my runthroughs on the alt back crossovers until the very end. It was very powerful, very fast and very smooth! I was like WHOA!!! 8O
Speaking of the mohawk-hoppy thing... 5 step mohawks were cleaner today, but it's still kinda "klunk"-ish.
My forward power 3's are slightly faster. I wonder if either of my coaches noticed it.
Alt forward crossovers weren't so bad!
Toe-ing:

WAAAAY too many people on the FS session. Then again, I *should* know better than to be on the afternoon freestyle session! (Then again, better than staying home and going stir crazy!) :P
My forward power 3's are still too slow.
Still on the forward power 3's -- for the most part, my RFO3 -- my good side -- is definitely my new bad side now!!! I have been stepping onto a RFI edge and then turning the foot to a RFO edge instead. The one good thing for today though is that there were some cases where I was able to step to a RFO edge, but it's kinda clunky too. (But yeap, the big secret ingredient -- BENT YOUR KNEES and ANKLES DEEPLY!!!)
Back crossover to BO edge: a bit funky... on the BO edge extension part of the move, the extension is to the side rather than straight behind me and my primary coach wants it straight behind me. It's not as bad, but I could feel that it could be better...

Shinn-Reika
01-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Flowing: Learned how to spin correctly, and my Instructor says we'll go over all the elements next seesion. To see what level I'm really at.

Toeing: The backs of the tiny little hooks have cut up my hands. It even hurts to type. I hope this is something unique to cheap skates.

On a side note, there's a girl who frequents my rink that started figure skating at the exact same time I did. She used to do ballet, and thus has a lot more natural grace than I did. It's odd though, how I compare myself to her, But it is interesting. A lot of people say we're at different ends of the spectrum. One being some who is Crazy and spontaneous vs One who is very controlled and graceful. Anyway people say they like my style, even though I do envy her, so apparently there is nothing wrong with it. We're both learning at exceptional rates. Me, because of my lack of fear and sheer willpower, and her due to her previous training and skill.

Anyway, I guess I've never thought of a Woman this way (before you think so, no I'm not attracted to her, she's a huge guy magnet and I'd rather not waste my time), but I kinda like it. Makes me more determined, both to improve and to be more individual (because I have no intentions of emulating her).

Anyway just something that's been on my mind. Also a lot of people have actually begun refering to me as a figure skater, which also is interesting. Makes not feel some fool that's attempting to figure skate, and more like someone who is actually learning. I do feel guilty around hockey players, because I've turned to the dark side, in a manner of speaking. I guess that will never go away, seeing as I sometimes miss hockey.

Mrs Redboots
01-28-2005, 02:32 AM
All the same, Shinn, I bet if you looked at her feet, she would have very little there - but the grace and positions of her upper body hide that. There was a girl who started skating at the same time as I did, and I used to refer to her, before I knew her name, as "The little girl with the arms" as she had wonderful upper body positions, very, very elegant - and it wasn't until you looked closely that you realised that (at the time) she actually could barely skate! Now, of course, she's skating in shows, while I'm still clunking round the ice, but an age gap of over 30 years is going to do that to people!

NickiT
01-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Flowing
I had a good lesson today. I ran through all my Bronze field moves and they were the best I've done yet in front of my coach. It's amazing what a bit of practice does. I'm feeling more confident on them now too which makes a difference.

Having just finished choreographing my new programme, I did two clean run-throughs today. Of course there are a few bits that need tidying up, such as remembering to look up on my step sequence, but again it feels like it is falling into place right now.

My lutz-loop from the new take off is becoming more consistent and I'm landing it with a running edge.

My camel/sit that departed last week is back thank goodness.

Did some more work on the axel. My coach said I'm doing everything right, I just need to put more into it.

Oh and one more positive thing. My daughter won silver medal at our club's artistic competition this week!

Toe-ing
Nothing much really. Only the fact that I had to get off early because I was so worn out from such an intense skate. Oh, and my ankle hurt from all the combination jumps.

Nicki

jenlyon60
01-28-2005, 06:57 AM
And I know of judges who, when they see a skater testing the solo part of their dances (USFS Silver and higher), and the skater is emoting madly with the arms, they look more carefully at what the feet are doing.

Not talking solo dance competition here, but test.

It's one thing to be expressive to get a bit more on the presentation, but then some skaters go overboard. I've seen coaches have their skaters emote wildly with the arms to try and provide a distractor....

All the same, Shinn, I bet if you looked at her feet, she would have very little there - but the grace and positions of her upper body hide that. There was a girl who started skating at the same time as I did, and I used to refer to her, before I knew her name, as "The little girl with the arms" as she had wonderful upper body positions, very, very elegant - and it wasn't until you looked closely that you realised that (at the time) she actually could barely skate! Now, of course, she's skating in shows, while I'm still clunking round the ice, but an age gap of over 30 years is going to do that to people!

NCSkater02
01-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Flowing: I didn't have to take any pain meds yesterday. Just naprosyn for the sore shoulders and arms. :)

Toe-ing: I am bored out of my mind. :frus: I hate unplanned vacation time. I miss being on the ice.

russiet
01-28-2005, 09:27 AM
It's near the ankle--probably within the boot. Not that the boot is anywhere near fitting on my foot right now.

Only one vicodin yesterday, and that after I went to hubby's hockey game and had to prop on hard rather that padded surface. It's getting better. Not nearly fast enough, though.

I had an in-(ski)boot fracture like that many moons ago. Did they set you up with a walking cast?

At the time I worked in a ski shop on a ski mountain. The handicap ski instructor set me up with outrigger ski-poles and had me out on the slopes again the next week. I would wrap the cast with foam to keep my foot warm. I don't remember being in much pain after the first few days, so at least you have that to look forward to. I think I had to have the cast on for 6 weeks.

I was such a brat (about 25 years old) and I so abused my walking cast, that the doctor had to cut it off with only two weeks to go and put on a new one. I had actually opened up the bottom of the cast so that I could wash the bottom of my foot (it was P.U.), then duct taped it back together!

I wasn't immediatley able to use a ski boot on that foot right after the cast came off. I did a lot of walking and did stretching before it felt rehabilitated. You'll certainly have to take it slow at first.

Good Luck!

Shinn-Reika
01-28-2005, 10:42 AM

I see, but there are a couple of things that she's good at. When she jumps (which aren't very high), she holds incredible landing positions. And her positure during spins are near perfect.

Plus she's kinda like me, in that she doesn't neccesarily look/dress like a figure skater.

NCSkater02
01-28-2005, 02:03 PM
I had an in-(ski)boot fracture like that many moons ago. Did they set you up with a walking cast?

I don't remember being in much pain after the first few days, so at least you have that to look forward to. I think I had to have the cast on for 6 weeks.

You'll certainly have to take it slow at first.

Good Luck!

I've actually got a removable velcro-ed splint. However, my foot has remained firmly in place, except to bathe and ice it. I will open it out, just to cool my foot, because it is very warm. I'm expecting to wear it 6-8 loooong weeks.

The pain is lessening already. I didn't take any vicodin yesterday, only Aleve for the shoulder/arm soreness.

I plan to start back slowly. Since my timing is poor, I'll miss this competitive season, so I have nothing to rush back for.

Mrs Redboots
01-29-2005, 04:28 AM
And I know of judges who, when they see a skater testing the solo part of their dances (USFS Silver and higher), and the skater is emoting madly with the arms, they look more carefully at what the feet are doing.Oh, there's at least one judge here who marks you down in competition if your feet don't match your arms, even at the most basic level. And at least one other who hates madly fancy starts if the basic dance doesn't match!

I did go to the teatime session yesterday, don't often go to Friday's as it's so short, but wanted the exercise (and to speak to someone out loud - "chatting" on Yahoo messenger is great, but it's not the same thing as face-to-face!).

Flowing: Ran through just about every Field Move and Dance Move I'm capable of, and a few I'm not. Spent most of the session skating aerobically - forward outside edges, forward inside edges, changes-of-edge, forward cross-rolls, back cross-rolls, back outside edges, back inside edges, back swing rolls.... all improving by the second!

Spoke to my coach at the end of the session and suggested I work on the first two levels of Field Moves, as he wants me to work on posture and extension and stuff. I don't know whether I would especially want to test them (moot, anyway, until I can get my back cross-cuts); it depends on whether I would be credited with a higher level if I passed Prelim Field Moves, or if I passed level 3 Dance Moves.... hmmm.... Mind you, I'd have to pass Novice Field Moves first (here, Novice comes before Prelim in the old system, which still applies to Field Moves), and that involves a spiral on both legs, so I might not be able - didn't try that one!

Toe-ing: Catching a bus towards the rink on a wet Friday afternoon is THE PITS. Traffic was very slow so I missed the first half-hour of the session. Grrrr - it's only 90 minutes as it is!

I still cannot do back cross-cuts! Driving me utterly insane. I've tried just about everything I can think of to improve them, and I still run out of steam half-way down the rink. My coach says they will come suddenly, like my back inside edges did (these are now improving by the day), but they can't come suddenly enough for me!

Plus the back cross-cuts - it's not so much the crossing, it's the "Schaffer push" you need. I still find that very hard - I can sort-of do it. Need to practice it on back progressive runs, too.

Decided not to skate this morning, even though I was awake in time - I was very tempted, but the thought of early morning buses (yuck - full of people going home from a night out and they ALWAYS smell of beer!) and Saturday patch (crowded!) made me decide to be sensible and have a rest-day. I suppose I ought to do my off-ice training, since I was too tired to do it last night, but....

Casey
01-29-2005, 04:28 AM
edge noises: Managed to do a few shoot-the-ducks on the left foot in my new skates finally. No attempts at the right foot yet. Something really cool happened today...I have always like doing this bit where I cross my legs and skate around in a hard circle until I finally slow down. Well a couple days ago I leaned forward and touched the ice with my inside fingers, raising the outside arm higher in the air, just for fun. Then I realized I could lift the back crossed foot off the ice, and skate along on a hard inside edge pivoting around my fingers, though I didn't always do it that hard. So today I was just messing around for a bit, and did something close to that, and a good skater that I talk to a lot suddenly asked, "Hey, where did you learn to hydroblade?". So, I guess I know how to hydroblade now.

toe scrapes: Didn't eat enough today, so my energy waned after 2 hours on the ice. I played a couple games of pac-man in their arcade and went home early for the first time in ages.

Skate@Delaware
01-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Flowing: Toe-Wally (or that 'toe-weirdo' thing) that I actually landed, although not at 90-miles-an-hour, but not at a snail's pace either (did I mention that I was shaking when I finished? still getting over these jumping issues)

Toe-ing: haven't skated as much which means I haven't been working on my dance patterns which means I'm not able to do them as I should which sucks all around!

Terry
who is conquering her fears one at a time
or more-one jump at a time....

slusher
01-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Toeing: Not much to complain about! One of my bigger obstacles right now is the little hop in the second exercise. It's only a quarter rotation, but I don't like to leave the ice! .

Is that the stupid inside edge to inside edge "jump"? It's not like anything else in skating, I don't know why it's in there. I'm not on gold skills, far from it, but my friends who are on this, hate that hop too.

Today:

Toe-ing:

I'm doing toe loops at speed. This is coach's idea, jumps with speed. It wouldn't be my first idea, oh no. Big crosscuts around the end circle, come up the middle, turn, step 3turn and toe loop. It's all about timing, when I speed up and I'm missing the toe. I like how this feels although I'm only hitting about half of them but the half I don't hit are frustrating me out.

Flowing:

Maybe all the work on arms and turning the 3 for the toe loop helped, because I had an awesome loop today, and actually did toeloop-loop for the first time. I'm giddy.

No dance lesson today, dance coach was sick.

Melzorina
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Flowing: My edges were apparently the best I've ever done, so I'm quite happy with that. As usual I kept my face totally straight and shrugged like I didn't care because I can't take a compliment, but inside I was all "YAAAAY!!!". Also my backwards edges are allright too, there's more oomph. I'm fighting a battle there, but my instructor says I'll win this fight sooner or later. I also learnt some funky backwards thingies...Kind of like a crossover except you cross your feet infront of you, I didn't get told the name of them. Possibly like a backwards cross roll.

Toe-ing: I attempted my very first teapot today! I've never really tried it, but today, I went for it...And as soon as I lifted my leg, I tipped over. It hurt slightly with friction, but it was fun. I didn't attempt it again today though. Also attempted a cherry flip in some weird demented way that I didn't get taught...That didn't go too well.

Had lots of fun with my digital camera! I got it 2 christmases ago, and finally started using it!

Must dash now, I'm off to the cinema. Speaking of which, Ice Princess starring Michelle Tratchenberg and Kim Cattral is out soon, isn't it? It's unrealistic but I'm definetly going to buy it!

Innabit chucks! x

luna_skater
01-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Is that the stupid inside edge to inside edge "jump"? It's not like anything else in skating, I don't know why it's in there. I'm not on gold skills, far from it, but my friends who are on this, hate that hop too.

Yeah, that's the one! My coach said the same thing; he doesn't know why it's in there because it's never used!

sue123
01-29-2005, 02:23 PM
For my last class, unless i get private lessons somehow.

Flowing: We did a bunch of spiral sequences. Those actually went pretty good. I got my leg high, toe pointed. and i remembered to not look at the ice, most of the time. I'm also finally starting to get the flip. And i can do the set up for the salchow, the whole bringing the right foot around and get your shoulder around with the leg thing, but it's the actual lifting myself off the ice that i couldn't do. But seeing as how i was just taught it today, i won't beat myself up over it. We also did toe loops, those are fun. In warm up, i was also able to finally string more than 2 power pulls in a row. i think i was able to do around 5 in a row on either foot. for me, i'll take that. we also worked on spread eagles and ina bauers. that outside edge spread eagle is hard, our instructor couldn't even do it.

Toeing: it was my last class. :cry: And i was really into it today too. i didn't want to leave the ice. i stayed on until the public session started. we had all these people watching us, since we were the most advanced group on the ice (everyone else is LTS classes) and it felt cool to have a little audience.

Maybe flowing: after skating, i went home for the traditional weekly meal we eat as a family with my grandparents (we live in the same 2 family house). I came back, and my mom saw how upset i was that i had to stop with the classes, so she said if i could find somewhere to get private lessons and they're not too expensive, she'll help me pay for them. :) only problem is i'd have to find a rink to get private lessons from. i think i might look into the rink where my school's hockey team plays, even though they're farther away and more expensive than the one closest to my school. but if i could get a lesson there on a sunday or friday, maybe even thursday nights since my classes start late on friday's, that might work. i must now look into this.

AstarZ41
01-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Toe-ing: After my 45 min FS class I had a private lesson I was really tired out by the middle of that. Next week or the week after we're gonna do private lessons on a different day so that should be good.

Flowing: All my spins (scratch, sit, camel) are steadily getting better. I did for the first time a loop/loop and a flip/loop combo. My coach was excited to see me get it on first try. Since I was pretty worn out form jumping and spinning we worked on some footwork. Forward and backward cross rolls went pretty well. Also barrel rolls, and alternating jacksons. Then, my coach had me skate PAIRS with him! Just doing backward crossovers with changes of direction, but omg it was really cool! I had to go really fast to keep up, and make sure my hips were turned correctly so that we stayed on the same line.

When we're gonna go to a different rink he's gonna put me in a harness for my axels and split jumps 8O

backspin
01-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Flowing: skated well on my lesson today, and did a few patterns of my Rocker that coach said were passable! That hasn't happened before. Still a little inconsistent, but we fixed a few things that have seemed to make a big difference in my comfort level. I'm so looking forward to finishing this dance! Will test in March--how cool would it be to pass it the first time out?

Toe-ing: having lost my partner & the chance to compete next year (see long rant thread), getting through my Intermediate moves has dramatically dropped in my list of priorities, though I really should try to stay motivated & go ahead & test them since I've worked so hard on them. Deadline for test app. is Feb 20, so I have a few weeks to decide.

Mrs Redboots
01-30-2005, 04:15 AM
. I also learnt some funky backwards thingies...Kind of like a crossover except you cross your feet infront of you, I didn't get told the name of them. Possibly like a backwards cross roll. They're called back cross cuts - you need them for Prelim Field moves and/or Level 3 Dance Moves. They are totally and utterly impossible. At least, I find them so - you're supposed to do a length of them, back crossovers round the end, and back up the rink the other side. Me, I grind to a halt after half a length if the ice is good, sooner if it isn't. And whichever I choose to test, I'm going to have to get them! Husband got them well enough to pass his Level 3 Dance Moves, but he said he can only do a whole length on really good ice.... Mind you, half a length is a serious improvement for me - I used to grind to a halt after 1/4 length!

Back cross-rolls, incidentally, require you to cross your feet behind you on to a back outside edge; not quite as impossible as the cross-cuts, but very nearly!

Anyway, today's practice was definitely toe-ing as, although the ice had been cut, there were weird sticky patches all over the place which were very dangerous. Until the elites had been round a few times it was utterly impossible to skate on, and I refused point blank to do any dance patterns or our free dance.

So we spent our lesson working on a pairs spin, which was good. Except that my coach said, "This is what I teach my proper skaters", and I nearly rent him limb from limb.... We definitely improved, and were quite nearly getting there. Plus both of our solo spins improved 100% - we both make the same mistake of not pulling up properly - I tend to tuck my head down on to my arms, and husband lets his free side go all over the place. But his solo spin is really coming now, and I got 3 revolutions, if not more, several times! :D

We did do one run-through of the step-sequence in our free dance, which was okay, too. But afterwards we worked independently, and I was having trouble keeping my free leg extended on forwards cross-rolls, bringing my feet back together on back swing rolls (my coach told me on Wednesday that I wasn't doing this on forward swing rolls, so I was aware of it), and moving my shoulders at the right time on the forward swing rolls. Had a play with the Level 4 Mohawk sequence, which I can nearly do, although not well - you do LFO/RBO Mohawk, LFO/RFI crossover, LFO, RFO/LBI Mohawk, RFO/LFI crossover, RFO and repeat. I don't know whether it is a quick Mohawk or whether every edge is held for the same length of time, and my coach said he didn't have anybody doing Level 4 dance moves (husband trains for them with coach's wife) and didn't know.

Husband, meanwhile, was playing with the back-3/mohawk move, which I find totally impossible. So he and I worked on my back 3s for a bit, which was fun. As always his RBO3s are better than his LBO3s, and I'm vice versa!

So not a very good practice, because of the ice, but it could have been worse!

Tessie
01-30-2005, 10:55 AM
flowing - passed freeskate 2 - only because my instrutor said so. I'm not quite perfect on those back edges. Back spin? what back spin. They will eventually arrive. :giveup:

toe-ing - very crowded fs session, 3 or 4 newbies who haven't figured out that it's not public skating and there are certain "unwritten" protocals.

quarkiki2
01-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Flowing: My skating, of late! Of course I feel like I'm improving by the session just as I know I have a limited time to practice before my center of balance moves forward with the baby -- it just figures!!

I had a private lession, then a power skating class. Started the private lesson with 3 clean FO3s on each foot. My coach asked me what the difference was between last week and this and I said, "Well, I kinda do have to pee all of the time now, so getting my legs into the 'gotta pee' position is easier to imagine." She about hit the ice laughnig. That's one thing I can guarantee -- any lesson I have cheers up the coach and, if it's a group lesson, the other skaters.

We worked on getting more swing in my forward swing rolls and I finally figured out that cross rolls are easier if you step onto the outside edge RIGHT AWAY instead of rolling onto it.

We practiced Ina Bauers and spread eagles each direction. I can't do them with any speed yet, but this is one area where my open hips are a blessing.

My power skating class was much fun. I discovered why my synchro partner and I are so easily able to zip around the rink running people over -- we skate at the exact same speed and our strokes are veryclose to the same size (which I would have guessed as we're about the same size). It was pretty funny though -- every stroking exercise we did were were always the same distance apart on the circle or around the rink. This must be why we have never struggled with the small bit of pairs skating we do ino our synchro program -- we're not spending mucho energy trying to match our partner because our pushes are so similar. We were laughing because we were doing the "undercut" pushes in the forward crossover (where you just push under in the crossed position). We were side by side and each of us pushed six or seven times before needing to step out and do an outside push. Pretty darn funny!

My power skating coach was very complimentary about my forward chasses and an exercise we do where you do a forward crossover with both feet on the ice until the step into the circle. I was ripping the first push and grinding the second, yay! She also said my knee bend was very good (for me) on the chasses. And I wasn't quite so outdistanced by the fastest skater in the group.

Toe-ing: Power pulls still have no power, though my knee action is getting better. Cross-rolls need more outside edge, though I caught a look of myself in the plexi-glass and my posture and sholder placement are looking pretty good and my cross appears to be pretty deep -- now I need to do them on the edges...

Have a great week!!