View Full Version : Endurance training

pennybeagle
01-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Aargh. The end of my program always stinks because I can't feel my legs with about 30-40 seconds to go in my silver program (...with two jumps and a spin left).

I know that the goal is to try to get through "double run-throughs" but the rink is usually so crowded that this is not really an option. Also, I know I'd die or seriously injure myself.

SO. I've been running and training on an elliptical machine since December (about 45 minutes, 2-3x a week) and I feel like I'm in better overall shape, but my endurance for my program is still non-existant. I also think I'm now over-training, since I feel tired all the time.

When I'm doing aerobic exercise, I can totally feel the moment where I get my second wind, and then I'm good to go for a while. However, for my 2 minute 10 second program, I never reach that threshold, and I completely run out of steam at the 1:40 mark (heh, maybe I should just compete my bronze program in the silver event).

Is there a trick to training endurance for skating programs?? I would be MOST grateful for any advice so I don't burn out two months before nationals.
:giveup:

LoopLoop
01-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Have you tried interval training on the elliptical machine? If you can get your high-effort intervals to 2:30 or more that should help you get through the silver program. As for on-ice endurance training, what helped me a huge amount was taking a power stroking class (with the kids) last year. All of the exercises and corresponding music pieces were 2:30 or more, so we had to keep going for that long.

I've never done double runthroughs, but this is something I've seen some of the higher-level kids do. Instead of two full runthroughs, they will do one runthrough with choreography only, wait about two minutes, then do a second runthrough and do the SECOND one full-out. That way they're pushing through the program and doing the hard stuff when they're already tired. But make sure you're really breathing through the whole program, even if you have to consciously give yourself cues to do it.

backspin
01-24-2005, 02:08 PM
I have a tendency to hold my breath while I'm skating dance patterns--& therefore I start to die after about 1 1/2 patterns! Maybe you're doing that too--I'm learning to focus on exhaling.

PattyP
01-24-2005, 02:15 PM
ITA with Loops, I actually choreograph breathing points into my programs. When we get nervous, we tend to forget to breath deeply which leads to the rubber leg syndrome. So I remember to take big deep breaths in my spiral, sit spin, etc. I have also found that focusing on breathing can help to relax me.

Another tip I have for training is if you can do some hill running. Running up hill seems to be the only way that I can push my heart rate to the levels that I get to while skating a program. Interval training helps too, jog slowley for 2 minutes, then run fast for 2 minutes, jog slow for 2...repeat 4 time if you can.

These two things have really helped me. Good luck!

Patty

stojkopanda
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM
After doing a runthrough do stroking around the ice for a lap or two as fast as you can it will help condition you.

NoVa Sk8r
01-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I think that the elliptical machine is great; I also use the exercise bike. And sometimes, I hop into the treadmill and crank up the incline so that it gives my legs a nice burn. Makes skating on a flat seem easier.

Also, after doing a program runthrough, my singles coach makes me do 3 laps around the rink to help build stamina (and to cool down properly).

mary
01-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Try jumping rope.

russiet
01-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Do intervals on a bike. Stationary bikes are effective, but boring.

Having a cadence & heart rate monitor is helpfull to track results.

There are lots of books on this type of training, but in general it goes like this:

Warm up by spinning for 15 or 20 minutes. Cadence (the number of times a pedal does a complete revolution around the crank per minute) should stay constant at a rate that you can maintain as aerobic. Aim for a smooth spin - no bouncing!

Do a series of "spints". Shift to a higher (harder) gear and get out of the seat and stand on the pedals while pumping. Cadence increases to the fastest smoothest you can muster (over 100 would be excellent). Maintain for at least a minute. Then sit back, downshift and reduce cadence until you've recovered some (2 to 5 minutes).

Repeat that at least 3 times.

Then spin at a comfortable rate for a few more minutes to cool down.

These types of intervals can get really intense and if you do them every two or three days, your stamina will increase. Don't do them every day, give your body recovery time.

You can do the same kind of workout running, but I hate pounding my knees.

passion
01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
I am so glad you brought up this topic. I have a very hard time with endurance. I basically die and require a stretcher to carry me off the ice after my 2 min 10 sec program. Right now, I am working on a 3 minute program, so it is considerably longer.

I have the same experience as you. For a while, I was running on a treadmill for twenty minutes. No improvement on my endurance in my program whatsoever. So I thought, maybe I am wasting my time and energy. I read in a Shape maagazine tht you condition your heart better when you do intervals at a shorter duration than one speed for a longer amount of time.
I want to train more short-intermediate distance/speed rather than long distance because it is closer to what doing a program involves.

And for the poster above, thanks for the tips on spinning. I cannot run because it hurts my knees and swells, which causes me not to be able to skate.

ps. tried the cycle thing two weeks ago. I was completely out of breath after 5 minutes. Stopped, then cycled 1 min. Then took a breather. Then another 1 min. At that point, I was like, I can't hack this anymore and jumped off the bike. I think I need to work on cardio. :frus:

flo
01-24-2005, 07:59 PM
I also have a difficult time with it, and also asthma. I've found that nothing replaces running your program each time you're on the ice the month or so before the event. I also get lots of time in runing sections of the program over and over! This way before you know it you've done your program several times!
I've never been a runner - ran for a subway once and didn't like it. I do try to run home from my friend's to my house (a few blocks away) to get warm, and outrun any misplaced muggers! Sometime I'll have to time it and see if it's over 2:10!
I also paly with my dog - there's not a chance of out running her!

starskate6.0
01-24-2005, 09:25 PM
I also have a difficult time with it, and also asthma. I've found that nothing replaces running your program each time you're on the ice the month or so before the event. I also get lots of time in runing sections of the program over and over! This way before you know it you've done your program several times!
I've never been a runner - ran for a subway once and didn't like it. I do try to run home from my friend's to my house (a few blocks away) to get warm, and outrun any misplaced muggers! Sometime I'll have to time it and see if it's over 2:10!
I also paly with my dog - there's not a chance of out running her!

Flo
This is all great advise and I too have had breathing issues on the ice. My Barnum program is 1:40 as you know it is flat out for the Whole program , However when It comes to the Freestyle I was haveing trouble getting through the entire 2:40 for mens gold, the staminar takes time to build, but i did discover a way to help you get through it right away. ;)

After a spin or a jump I would take a second to spot a point on the upper wall or someone in the audiance and stand up strait. This gave me a split second to get orientated on the ice and I found that even though I was still breathing hard I found a little energy each time to go on to the next thing.

You may also want to try swaping your jumps and spins around and when you do a jump or a spin, do part of the program before the jump or spin,
this helps to get used to doing the same thing and becomes part of the set ups for your elements. .... :D Iv tried this and they do work.
Good Luck

pennybeagle
01-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies! Interval training sounds like a good idea...and I KNOW that I don't breathe enough in my program, even though I do try to choreograph breathing (I just forget to actually do it)

Here's another question: how much does the cold air of the rink affect endurance? Should one try training for endurance in cold air off-ice (i.e., running outside in the winter when it's not snowing)?

Ugh. Can't believe I'm actually even considering running outside to improve my endurance...that should give you some indication of how badly I hurt running through my programs! 8O

Oh well. Clean run-throughs by April or bust!

fadedstardust
01-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Actually I've heard quite a lot of times that running is bad for skaters, and that it actually doesn't do anything for on-ice endurance. There's really nothing better than double run throughs and laps after each run through....build up to it. Do a run through and then two laps. And then do it with three laps, four...five...and then try double run throughs. You'll get it before you can even realize it.

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2005, 06:44 AM
May I commend the Carl Poe book - it's called http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-books/misc/books-mini-icon-22x22.gif Conditioning for Figure Skating: Off-Ice Techniques for On-Ice Performance (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/157028220X/ref=cm_mp_wli_/026-4941062-7887647?coliid=I90SYI49EAFJS&colid=3KT4ZG30S04U3)

It contains a great many very helpful exercises - on-ice as well as off. I do some of the on-ice exercises, as while I'm now happy to do strength, resistance and flexibility work off-ice, I refuse do do cardio-training anywhere other than in an ice-rink! Lots and lots of laps - stroking, edges, moves, dance patterns, doesn't matter what, just so's you get moving!

Incidentally, my stamina has, quite suddenly, increased dramatically - whether this is due to off-ice training, or weight loss, or what, I don't know, but it has been very sudden indeed - where last week (it feels like!) I couldn't do 3 patterns of a dance without dying on the ice, now I can do 4 or even more really easily (talking about half-rink patterns! But I did do 3 patterns of the Swing Dance the other day with no real problems). So it can happen!

AnnM
01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
What worked for me in the past was doing double run throughs with the first run through done with choreography only, and the second run through done all-out, as if I were really competing or testing. Also, my coach required me to do three to five laps of power stroking and power-3s at the end of every lesson and practice session. I also tried to make it to a power skating class once a week.

In my opinion, and based on my personal experiences, off-ice cardio is great for overall health and conditioning. But nothing beats on-ice run throughs and power training to boost endurance for programs. At the peak of my skating, I didn't do any cardio except skating and I didn't have any issues with my legs (or the rest of me) tiring out. I don't skate as much currently, but do far, far more cardio at the gym, yet that hasn't translated to on-ice stamina.