View Full Version : skating withdrawl

sue123
01-23-2005, 08:05 PM
I can't go skating. at all. i'm back in school, only i don't have my car since it was snowed in. so this means i'm stuck in school until the weekend when i come home for my skate class. and i'm already feeling the effects, since usualy i'm thinking when i will go and what i'm going to work on, but now i can't do that. the only thing i can think is i can't skate. if i'm sick, it's one thing that i can't go, since usually i don't think about anything when i'm sick, but now, i'm perfectly healthy, just a bit sore from shoveling all day, only to have the snow plows come and ruin it all.

Casey
01-23-2005, 08:40 PM
"With drawl"? That's a texan speaking. ;) I'm sure "withdrawal" is what you meant (*nitpick nitpick*).

Sorry about the bad luck. I hope you get back to the rink soon!

Mrs Redboots
01-24-2005, 03:52 AM
Yes, but Sue - think how all that shovelling is going to help you build up the muscles you'll need for skating. It's a great off-ice workout to hold you until you can go skating! If you are really going stir-crazy, is there a gym on campus? You could always go and tone up your abs and thighs (I've just done both of those things and feel both virtuous and stiff!), and then treat yourself to a swim or a session in the jacuzzi - or even the sauna/steam room, for a *real* treat that really doesn't mix with skating! At least, I find it doesn't.

sk8clean
01-25-2005, 02:50 PM
I feel your pain. I have been off the ice since August with a foot injury....

NCSkater02
01-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm off starting today for a broken ankle. This is gonna kill me. It gives me the incentive to work on abs and upper body, something I've been neglecting.

Mrs Redboots
01-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that - was this an accident on the ice, or off it?

NCSkater02
01-26-2005, 08:02 AM
was this an accident on the ice, or off it?

On ice. My story (lie) is I was trying a triple axel. I figure I might as well make it sound really good. In reality, I was spinning. I think I caught an edge--I'm not sure. I landed awkwardly. It hurt more than anything I can ever remember hurting, including childbirth and surgery. Now, I'm just adjusting to crutch walking. I go back to work next week. Nursing on crutches....how much fun does that sound like?

sue123
01-26-2005, 08:09 AM
On ice. My story (lie) is I was trying a triple axel. I figure I might as well make it sound really good. In reality, I was spinning. I think I caught an edge--I'm not sure. I landed awkwardly. It hurt more than anything I can ever remember hurting, including childbirth and surgery. Now, I'm just adjusting to crutch walking. I go back to work next week. Nursing on crutches....how much fun does that sound like?

crutch walking is not fun. especially if you have snow. If you work at a hospital, you may have some sympathetic coworkers who won't make you do much. i'm sorry you broke your ankle. just a little cast maintenance advice, don't let it get wet, it will stink to the high heavens. when i broke my wrist, i kept accidently getting it wet when i would wash my hands, and it would get nasty. i kept spraying it with apple body spray to get rid of the smell.

Mrs Redboots
01-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Yes, you'll need a bin-bag to shower in. I had to do that when I burnt my arm, and most awkward it was, too! Legs are marginally easier. Are you in a plaster cast, or just an elastic bandage? The latter is more painful, but you heal faster and with less loss of muscle tone.

NCSkater02
01-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm in a removable, velcro-ed splint. It is very warm. I'll prop my foot up on the couch and unfasten it to cool down. I can also put ice on it then. My foot has the prettiest shades of black and blue--including my toes. Hubby went back to work today, but he did tell me to wait until he got home this evening before I attempted to bathe. He won't say it, but he worries.

The crutches are a different story. My whole upper body aches, and my hands stink like rubber. Once I am strong/brave enough, I'm going to venture upstairs to my sewing machine and make some sort of sleeves for the hand grips. Rubber-tinged food doesn't do much for the appetite. Then there's the whole issue of getting food to the table. :roll:

When I talked to my boss yesterday, she told me she'd try to find something for me to do. I hope she can, the bills will stack up soon. It's just going to be a long walk in, both outside and inside the building.