View Full Version : Curiosity on skating attire.

Shinn-Reika
01-21-2005, 02:01 AM
What are the clothing requirement for judged tests/competitions?
Especially for men.
I know about the "rules" in terms of modesty and such, but what is expected or acceptable?

The reason I ask is that I don't think I could handle wearing a lot of outfits I see men wear, and I'm wondering how much freedom do I get to choose something that is me?

And one more thing:

Why does Everyone insist on wearing rhinstones. Every Figure skater I've ever seen is sprayed head to toe with rhinestones.

I loathe rhinstones.

Okay just had to get that out, anyway any insights on this? I know I shouldn't be thinking about being judged yet, but it's something that has been on my mind.

Thin-Ice
01-21-2005, 02:44 AM
What people wear to test or compete depends on a few different things:

1) What level are you skating? (higher level usually equals fancier attire)

2) Is it a test or competition? (Testing can be more basic... in competition you want to stand out from your competitors.. i.e. if they're all wearing black and you wear royal blue, you WILL stand out from the crowd.)

3) What are YOU comfortable wearing?

Of course, whatever you wear should adhere to the clothing requirements.. so no bare midriffs for tests or competition, pants not tights for the guys, etc.

As for the rhinestones, well some people use them to stand out.. some use them as a way of 'advertising' -- "my skating is worth lots of money and sparkle" (good rhinestones are NOT cheap!) or as a way to stand out from the rest of the skaters... although many of the guys and some of the ladies are starting to stand out by not wearing ANY rhinestones.. just clean lines, well-draped fabric that flows and fits well and a good color for the skater and on the ice (i.e. no beige or unadorned white which blends into the ice or the skin).

samba
01-21-2005, 02:45 AM
When my son skated at your age it depended on what he was testing, for free skating elements he wore something like a black shirt and black trousers, for the programme he would wear whatever he competed in depending on the music as to whether it had glitz on it or not and for dance he usually wore a stretch dinner suit but many just wore a white shirt and bow tie as he did before he got the suit.

Personally I think you are right, for a test you are probably better not to go over the top with the glitz but at the end of the day you need to wear something that you personally feel comfortable with otherwise you will not perform to your best anyway.

Best of Luck!!

CanAmSk8ter
01-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Personally I think you are right, for a test you are probably better not to go over the top with the glitz but at the end of the day you need to wear something that you personally feel comfortable with otherwise you will not perform to your best anyway.

Best of Luck!!

This is dead on. For testing, the sparkle and rhinestones are not necessary, especially at the lower levels. Even at the higher levels of testing and competition, I would say spend your money on getting an outfit that really fits you and is well made, since you're not going to outgrow it and will be able to wear it again at some point if you want to. If there's money left over after that, throw on some stones (if you want to).

For competitions, I would say anything goes, as long as it's close-fitting enough to show your lines. I've seen guys wearing more rhinestones that I would wear (and I'm a female ice dancer!), and I've seen guys wearing plain black dress pants and a plain-colored lycra t-shirt type top. As long as you look nice and neat and aren't wearing anything that's baggy or ill-fitting, you're probably fine. For Basic Skills competitions I tell my male students, kids and adults, to wear dress pants or corderoys and a nice turtleneck (make sure it will stay tucked in while you're moving around) or sweater. This would probably be fine for a Pre-Bronze/Bronze MITF or Freestyle test or a Prelim or Pre-Bronze dance test too. After that I'd suggest getting some sort of lycra "skating" top and possibly skating pants.

dooobedooo
01-21-2005, 08:20 AM
My advice for a man would be to have a local skating dressmaker make you a really smart made-to-measure pair of black stretch trousers/pants in the thicker weight lycra. Probably they will have sewn-in creases back and front, and an attached stirrup of velcro at the ankles to grip them round the base of the boot. They give ease of movement, while still looking conventionally masculine.

They'll probably cost about 80 pounds or so, but then you can wear them with any top you like. For the top, I think men look fab dressed all in black, but you can wear colours too. Anything with ease of movement that covers your arms will do. Slightly glossier or even glittery fabrics may look better under the rink lights. But I probably wouldn't get into serious rhinestones unless you are competing at national level, or appearing in the Christmas show.

Mrs Redboots
01-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Proper "skating trousers" are a must - most skating-wear firms make a basic plain black pair relatively cheaply, and you can wear them every time you test and compete. As for what you wear on top, it's up to you. Many men seem to just wear a plain T-shirt, even at the highest levels - although for some of them they are ones that attach underneath, so that they don't come untucked at the wrong moment. Others wear an ordinary shirt, still others have their shirts specially made.

My husband, as a male dancer, wears plain black trousers with, normally, a white shirt and black bow-tie, and usually a black cummerbund, or occasionally one matching whatever I wear. He is beginning to be more adventurous now, though, and occasionally wears a black shirt, or even a coloured one (when he did the Hickory Hoedown he even wore a cowboy bandana!), and has recently bought a white shirt with a black sprinkles pattern "so it will show up on the ice". But I couldn't get him to wear a cat's tail for the "Waltzing cats", a mask was as far as it got.... but he's promised to wear a wig when we do "Leader of the Pack" again....

TashaKat
01-21-2005, 11:19 AM
I have to say that I HATE men's skating trousers, they're so ..... yeurch and I don't find them masculine at all. If you do decide to go for them, though, it's definitely worth spending a bit more money on them as you'll get a better fit (hate those flares) and better fabric (shiny nylon look just looks bad).

Although the 'leotard shirts' may seem horrendous I have it on good authority that they're actually rather comfortable and mean that you're not worrying about your shirt coming untucked all of the time.

dooobedooo
01-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I have to say that I HATE men's skating trousers, they're so ..... yeurch and I don't find them masculine at all....

They're still a lot better than those figure-revealing tights they used to wear in the pre-lycra days.
:giveup: (oh, look, we have a new smilie!!)

I think the secret is to pick a really top quality heavier weight stretch fabric with a lycra content. Some of them look like a quality wool gaberdine. But the fabrics vary a lot, and I do agree that you need to steer well clear of the cheaper shiny look fabrics - yuk. Don't buy from a catalog without seeing some fabric samples first. Also, avoid the body-hugging look - a duller, heavier weight of fabric will give you a better leg line.

Best bet is to attend a skating competition and/or tests and talk to a few people locally.

jenlyon60
01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
If one doesn't want to invest in a body-suit style men's shirt, I've heard of people sewing a cut-off shirt onto a pair of men's undershorts. Presumably a shirt with buttons or a zip so that there's step-in space. Also assumes that the guy is wearing more downstairs than just a dancebelt.

MQSeries
01-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I strongly suggest that men don't wear tight fitting stuff, especially if they don't have the body for it. Nothing is more unflattering then seeing parts of your body roll over your suit.

You can always wear a nice dark track pant for testing and a modest Polo for a top.

starskate6.0
01-21-2005, 07:56 PM
As a male skater, I agree that a Man should look like a Man and not a Water fall or a skating Rose... :lol: However I have seen men at National level and Worlds show up in costumes that look like a glittering potato sack.
I can think of one from Nationals last year, great skater, costume was a poor fit.

There is Nothing worse than somthing that hangs on a man like a sock in the wind. Stones or not, a man should where something that reflect the number and the ability of the skater involved.

I will say that there are some great skaters in the World who are slight in build but look great because of good costume design and a GOOD FIT.
Most of them pull this off well and look great on the ice.

Looks are important, the fit can make or break a skater.

I totaly agree with the fit no matter what the theme is.

Good Luck :D

climbsk8
01-21-2005, 07:57 PM
I must insist that the suggestions made just above also apply to women, not just men.

And stay away from shiny fabrics ... spandex is BAD, and crushed velvet can be, too. But a guy I skate with had some trousers made with flat stretch velvet that looked really nice. They had a sewn-in crease and a stirrup, so they definitely looked like pants, not tights.

Also to remember .... according to USFSA rules, I don't think men can expose their shoulders or their armpits ... so they HAVE to wear sleeves.

Terri C
01-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Also to remember .... according to USFSA rules, I don't think men can expose their shoulders or their armpits ... so they HAVE to wear sleeves.

Well if that's the case, has USFS told Johnny Weir about his shirt for his short program- it's a boatneck cut, and close to showing the shoulder.
Love his skating, but that costume has to go!!

Shinn-Reika
01-21-2005, 11:48 PM
as long as it's close-fitting enough to show your lines.

Could you elaborate on that?

Anyway the vibe I get is to go more for a good(and remember Lycra).

I will say that I have a a muscular build for someone who is learning to figure skate ( I currently weigh 172 ib but it will increase seeing as I workout). I was actually initially worried because all the guys I normally see are really thin, but it's something I think less and less of. .

Anyways, I doubt I'll wear anything more than a good pair of trousers and one of my polo shirts for a long time. I don't know though, it would be interesting to try something with a pattern. Not too flashy, but rather sleek and following the natural shape of the body (why am I rambling about this).

I guess the odd part is that I'm just not used to trying to really show off my appearance. I'm not the kind of person that wears jeans and a t-shirt (I almost never do this), I guess I find it hard to think of myself as a canvas ( I hope that comes through).

samba
01-22-2005, 01:30 AM
I think you will find that the better and more confident you get, the more you will try new things with your kit, my son swore he wouldnt wear half the things other people wore when he first started and now he loves the odd bit of glitz but keeps it toned down for tests.

fadedstardust
01-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Skating is a performance sport- I think it sucks when people show up in jeans for lessons or something, I mean at least make an effort. You wouldn't wear corduroys to a yoga class or a ballet class. Sequins or rhinestones don't have anything to do with one's sexuality, either, that is such crap. Do the math: there's a ton of lights in a skating arena, if you want to be seen from all the way at the top of the bleachers, you want something that reflects the light. Men's adornments are most always tastefully done and don't look gay. I mean in theater, some men dress up as women and don't care cause they love their craft, if you're really into your craft then you will endeavor to channel whatever piece of music you are interpreting and try to look your best, and if it means adding a little bit of sparkle, well, that's not a tragedy. If you're afraid of looking gay by wearing three sequins, you've got bigger issues anyways (not that you said you were, but I'm just saying...). I love sparkle on guys- it looks festive, dressed up, and entertaining. It doesn't have to be your thing, but I think there's a difference between world class skater costumes and recreational skater costumes anyway so I wouldn't be too concerned. Go to a local competition rather than watching the ones on tv and you really won't see THAT many sequined guys. And I mean, Michael Weiss never wears anything that isn't ALL MAN, hah. So copy his style, or something. But please no fake tattoo shirts.

Casey
01-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Anyways, I doubt I'll wear anything more than a good pair of trousers and one of my polo shirts for a long time. I don't know though, it would be interesting to try something with a pattern. Not too flashy, but rather sleek and following the natural shape of the body (why am I rambling about this).
Hi Shinn,

I am quite a timid person myself, about 10 pounds lighter than you. I recently bought a pair of jazz pants (cotton+lycra, matte black, no pockets, tight fitting at the waste and upper thighs, but loose (but not too baggy) from the knees on down). At first I was afraid to wear them out, but then I decided to get over my inhibitions and do it, because they actually did look pretty good, along with a long black T-shirt.

I took a picture of it to show a friend, but it came out looking really crappy because I used my phone's camera, and a propped up mirror, standing at a weird angle to make it work. It certainly doesn't do it justice, but here it is:
http://www.tmobilepictures.com/photos/photo07/3b/bf/ca5a7386b580.jpg

In any case, these are closer to the body, much more "body show-offish" clothes than I normally wear, but I realized once I was out on the rink that I really looked quite good. I usually wear nylon sports pants and a thin long-sleeve sports sweatshirt to practice in, but this turned out really nice, not over the top, and was even less in the way when I skated. I would likely wear long sleeves in the future...

You can pick up jazz pants online or at a dance store, they're not cheap - around $40 for a pair, and I had to take mine to a cleaners to get them hemmed to my size too. I can't see myself in anything flashy...so just a suggestion to add to the pile. :)

Mrs Redboots
01-22-2005, 04:17 AM
You know what - I think you look *really* nice!

I agree with FadedStardust about jeans, but that's largely because, unless they are very old and soft, they are not easy to skate in since they don't move with you. Having said that, Husband will have to wear jeans when we do Leader of the Pack again - the pair he had then were really old, and have since been disposed of, but he reckons his current pair is almost soft enough. For practice, he wears trackies like everyone else, of course.

We were so lucky with his skating trousers, though - many, many years ago before we ever even thought of skating, he picked up a pair in a jumble sale (I think they are called rummage sales on the far side of the pond), and, when he realised that they weren't something he could wear, he put them back into a black sack to take back to the next sale. And that black sack got put in the back of a cupboard and forgotten about. Five or six years later, we found it again - and looked through it to see what was in there, just in time to find these trousers! They are very, very old, but made in a heavy stretch material, with an elastic loop that goes under his feet. They are a wee bit tight (we have recently had to replace the zip and the hook on the fastenings), but he won't let me buy him a newer pair on the grounds that "If I fit into them, I know I'm not putting on weight!" which is as good a reason as any - and he wears them for dance club each week, so he keeps an eye on their fit!

As for glitz on males - a bit of glitter on the bald patch does catch the light nicely....

jenlyon60
01-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Winter running leggings make good skatingwear also, especially if the rink is a cold one. These come in both men's and women's versions at most sports stores.

I like the lightweight stretch polarfleece in winter and when I can find them, normal medium to heavy-weight stretch cotton/lycra leggings.

CanAmSk8ter
01-22-2005, 12:57 PM

(snip)

guess I find it hard to think of myself as a canvas ( I hope that comes through).

Actually, what I meant is pretty much what you just said- sleek and following the natural shape of the body. You want pant legs that are snug enough to show (for the most part) whether your knee is straight or bent; sleeves should be close-fitting enough to let a viewer clearly see any arm movements youo're doing. It sounds like you have the basic idea thought- and for the record, nice pants and a polo shirt will be fine for you for the time being.

fadedstardust
01-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Cshobe, I think the outfit looks great on you. I wanna mention though to you and every other guy reading this and pondering getting skating pants (since they are not cheap) that a) you can actually find GIRLS pants that'll fit the slimer men (like you, cshobe) get a size large or xlarge if you need the length, and they'll only run you 10-20 bucks at Ross, Marshalls, Target, and the like. Think "yoga" pants, they look exactly the same as the 40-50 dollar skating store ones, and no one will be able to tell they're girl pants. More importantly though, once you start doing the bigger jumps and the more advanced footwork, you'll wanna think about getting a stirrup instead of the flare. The flare on cshobe's pants, for example, looks great, but if you get your blade caught in the fabric when you're doing footwork and such (I've seen that happen) you'll go down fast and it'll hurt. Girls wear pants that are tight at the ankles but I see how that wouldn't look good on a guy, so I would suggest thinking about stirrups which will give the effect of flare while not risking to trip you up. Again, this is for further down the line, but might as well think about it.

And yes, as far as jeans, not only do they look too laid back, they are really impossible to work in. I feel bad when I see people try. A number is different though- I mean Ben Agosto skated in jeans for a number before, but practice is different.

starskate6.0
01-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Well if that's the case, has USFS told Johnny Weir about his shirt for his short program- it's a boatneck cut, and close to showing the shoulder.

He's still a kid, doesn't have any shoulders yet.. ;)

starskate6.0
01-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Skating is a performance sport- I think it sucks when people show up in jeans for lessons or something, I mean at least make an effort. You wouldn't wear corduroys to a yoga class or a ballet class. Sequins or rhinestones don't have anything to do with one's sexuality, either, that is such crap. Do the math: there's a ton of lights in a skating arena, if you want to be seen from all the way at the top of the bleachers, you want something that reflects the light. Men's adornments are most always tastefully done and don't look gay. I mean in theater, some men dress up as women and don't care cause they love their craft, if you're really into your craft then you will endeavor to channel whatever piece of music you are interpreting and try to look your best, and if it means adding a little bit of sparkle, well, that's not a tragedy. If you're afraid of looking gay by wearing three sequins, you've got bigger issues anyways (not that you said you were, but I'm just saying...). I love sparkle on guys- it looks festive, dressed up, and entertaining. It doesn't have to be your thing, but I think there's a difference between world class skater costumes and recreational skater costumes anyway so I wouldn't be too concerned. Go to a local competition rather than watching the ones on tv and you really won't see THAT many sequined guys. And I mean, Michael Weiss never wears anything that isn't ALL MAN, hah. So copy his style, or something. But please no fake tattoo shirts.

I all farness i do have a lot of stones on one of my outfits Im wearing at the competition, but I think there tastfull and it fits.... ;)

Shinn-Reika
01-23-2005, 02:38 AM
Do you have any pics?

Anyway I'd have to say that I actually got over my worries of looking "gay" on the ice a long time ago, so you don't have to worry there.

I'm wondering more if I'd have to conform a lot to the rules of the sport, but I think that, even if I do, I'll have inventive ways of doing it. I think if you knew what I looked like and wore when I practice you'd understand.

On a side note I will say that my favorite skating costumes have been Jhonny Weir's ( I know I talk about this guy too much). When I first say them, I thought that they were a litte to much, but I eventually realized that they do fit him. They are a little tight, but they flow with his style. I'm probably a bit biased though.

Mrs Redboots
01-23-2005, 06:16 AM
And yes, as far as jeans, not only do they look too laid back, they are really impossible to work in. I feel bad when I see people try. A number is different though- I mean Ben Agosto skated in jeans for a number before, but practice is different. The third-ranked British couple, Phillipa Towler-Green and Philllip Poole, skated to "Grease" this year, and Phil Poole had a wonderful pair of "jeans" on - they were actually stretch trousers, but where there are double seams on jeans, and the back pocket, were outlined in sequins - from a distance, it really did give the effect of jeans! I do have a photo, but not on-line (I'm sure they are somewhere!)....

slusher
01-23-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm wondering more if I'd have to conform a lot to the rules of the sport, but I think that, even if I do, I'll have inventive ways of doing it.though.

Don't worry about conforming, other than that men have to wear pants. I have skater boys and know a lot more skater men and the only thing that I'll say is that you can wear whatever you want as long as that it shows off your body (not baggy or sloppy) and that if you wear something different, that you can skate up to it. The costume does not matter at all - at all ! What a good costume does is make you feel good and get you in the mood for the test or program and if you feel good, you skate better.

That said, the best thing you can buy as a male skater is heavy duty skate pants in black doubleknit or black stretch velvet. Don't get the thin lycra. They will be good forever, and go with everything.

sue123
01-23-2005, 10:06 AM
me personally, i just don't like the look of those body suit type things that johnny weir or evegeny plushenko often wear. i mean, they like it, and at first, i sometimes think it distracts from the skating (especially johnny wier), although he is a good skater and it does kinda go with his style, but i just don't really like the look. it seems too much. i'd much rather see a guy in pants and a top. it lets you focus more on the skating and less on the costume.

Mrs Redboots
01-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree with you Sue, although they seem very popular among men of a certain age. One dancer I know always wears one on the ice, with a jersey on the top (so it doesn't look too awful), and I did once see my coach wearing one when he was partnering a higher-level dancer. Don't care for the look, but I can see why they wear them.

LoopLoop
01-23-2005, 02:47 PM

Terri, he has illusion fabric in there, so he's fine according to the rules. I think he'll be keeping the costume. ;)

Terri C
01-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Terri, he has illusion fabric in there, so he's fine according to the rules. I think he'll be keeping the costume. ;)

UGH!!! :roll:

Casey
01-23-2005, 08:04 PM
I saw this guy at the rink today who I haven't seen before - he was wearing tight jeans, a plaid shirt tucked in, a leather belt with a big gaudy buckle, a huge black cowboy hat, and a knife in the case attached to the belt on his behind. It was really, really, not sightly. I bet it would hurt if he fell on that lovely knife he had, and the tight jeans must have really restricted his range of motion. He was a pretty good skater as far as the people on hockey skates generally go (they have a much lower average than the figure skaters, at least at my rink), with decent edges and speed, so I figured he must regularly go to the country ice line dancing club. :P

starskate6.0
01-23-2005, 10:24 PM
UGH!!! :roll:

Hey Terri

I didn't see it but I do remember last year with that blue ice costume he wore, great outfit..... :roll:If it fit....I think he's a great skater , but he needs to gain 20 pounds or find another tailor... ;)

flo
01-24-2005, 09:37 AM
I like the body suits. It gives a nice long line. Iv'e seen a few on male pair skaters that were not my favorite - lilac and pink - but like most I've seen lately on the men. It gives more design options and does not cut the body in half like many pants/shirt costumes. I really like the feel of skating in them - fewer waistbands and more comfortable. I've stopped wearing them recently because I need to wear pants to stuff in the crash pads for doubles.

starskate6.0
01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I like the body suits. It gives a nice long line. Iv'e seen a few on male pair skaters that were not my favorite - lilac and pink - but like most I've seen lately on the men. It gives more design options and does not cut the body in half like many pants/shirt costumes. I really like the feel of skating in them - fewer waistbands and more comfortable. I've stopped wearing them recently because I need to wear pants to stuff in the crash pads for doubles.

Hey flo
Im sure you won't need those crash pad for long with those doubles.
Your a good strong skater and you have the drive to land them Im sure.
I remember how you pushed me around the ice when I came to your rink to do that show for you. :D

You will be at gold before you know it. Look forward to seeing you again at the New Years ;) " The greatest risk in life is not taking one" ;)

backspin
01-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Shinn-Reika:

If you are in the U.S. according to the rulebook, a costume that breaks the 'rules' is subject to a .1 deduction. Not that I've seen that happen a lot--most lady ice dancers are in serious violation of the "no excessive use of flesh toned fabric" rule......

For testing basic black is always appropriate. For competing, you'll see tons of variety--the rules really aren't that restrictive. No tights, men must have sleeves (though that one may only apply to ice dance, not sure). Other than that, you're pretty much wide open. You just want to make sure, as others have pointed out, that your costume doesn't out-do your skating! I knew a very beginning lady who wore a gold lame skirt & looked ridiculous.

The way I look at it is, (as a girl) the higher level I get, the more sparkles I get! 8-)

flo
01-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks Ross! I'm working on them.
I'm here at work today - waved hello to my car and brushed it off a bit on the way -I don't have to move it 'till I skate tomorrow. Most things are up and moving, but the city schools are closed.
Do you take your skates when you fly? Portland probably has some great rinks. How about flying us to Germany? :)

starskate6.0
01-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks Ross! I'm working on them.
I'm here at work today - waved hello to my car and brushed it off a bit on the way -I don't have to move it 'till I skate tomorrow. Most things are up and moving, but the city schools are closed.
Do you take your skates when you fly? Portland probably has some great rinks. How about flying us to Germany? :)

No germany routes for me, but the snow has totaly changed my schedule this week. Ill be back in PHL on Wednesday to dig out my car from the company parking lot. Iv got four day's to practice then I have to fly another 4 days before the competition. I get about three hours a day on the ice each time I go. :D Im in CLT today.

Mel On Ice
01-24-2005, 02:14 PM
this weekend was our club competition, and the only male skaters (with the exception of one lone synchro boy) were adult men.

The only rhinestones on any of them was on one gold lame Elvis jacket, with silver on the lapels.

There was a tuxedo.
The rest wore black pants.
On top, there was a turtleneck, a Tommy Hilfiger sweater, a cableknit fisherman's sweater, a tuxedo shirt, and a nice buttondown dress shirt in plum.

classcaptain200
03-30-2005, 11:47 PM
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

coskater64
03-31-2005, 01:13 PM
About 2 years ago in an artistic event I skated against a man who broke most of the skating attire rules. Rust/Bronze in color, no sleeves, unzipped midway down his chest and skin tight pants w/ beading up the side. He was a very fit late 50's year old man, but it seemed more to be an advertisement for his gunship arms, and legs. He was very nice but it might have been just a bit much.

la 8O

SDFanatic
03-31-2005, 01:29 PM
ISU recently changed the clothing rules to allow men to have bare arms and chests as well as removing "full length" from its trousers definition. Since the USFSA follows the ISU instead of doing there own thing, they have adopted the new rules.

Those of you who know me know that I despise both the written and unwritten restrictions placed on male attire.

While I am seeing more males flexing their limits on costumes, they still have a long way to go in achieving the level of freedom that the females have enjoyed, and with the new rules, now enjoy an even greater choice then ever before.

I went to a competition and counted the items one vender had to offer, on the rack they had eighteen outfits geared towards males. Two styles of leo shirts, and two styles of trousers, and any color you wanted as long as it was black. On the female side I counted about three hundred and eighty items, and while I didn' get a color chart to see about any missing colors, most assuredly most were accounted for.

For males one usually sees them wearing the same thing from practice, to testing, to competition with little variation between the three.

For females however there is a great disparity between a practice and a test outfit, and an even more so one between a testing outfit and a competition one. And lets not forget about all the extras that females also can use such as hair styles and scrunchies, face paint, over the boot tights, body glitter, wedding points, lipstick, exposed or simulated flesh, etc etc.

Well, I better stop as I'm far past my .02c

Skating should be about skating only and not attire, but skating is also about you, the individual, be you, and if you want, let your attire reflect that.

Steven

(Who didn't wear the mandated trousers last time he tested, and usually doesn’t wear them when he skates)

doubletoe
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM

Anyway the vibe I get is to go more for a good(and remember Lycra).

For testing, I agree that subtle is good. But once you are competing with a program, you need to use your clothing to help the judges understand the mood and theme of your music. In the last adult competition I attended, half the men looked like they had gotten up that morning and said, "Hmm. . . What should I wear today. . . Let's see, it's Saturday but I'm going out, so I guess I'll wear these slacks and this polo shirt." I'm not saying you should use rhinestones or anything; I'm just saying you need to put as much thought into what you wear when you perform your program as you do when you choose your music and choreograph it. Otherwise, you are giving yourself a real disadvantage in the presentation department.

sitspin89
03-31-2005, 04:38 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if it agaist skate canada rules for ladies to wear pants to compete/test in?

batikat
03-31-2005, 05:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if it agaist skate canada rules for ladies to wear pants to compete/test in?

I don't know the answer to this but would assume that the national skate bodies would all abide by the ISU rules and if it's good enough for ISU it should be good enough for the National skating associations.

I was initially disappointed that they changed the rules to allow ladies to wear trousers as I like to see the lovely dresses but I think I have changed my mind after seeing Fumie Seguri's gorgeous black lacy trouser and lacy bodice outfit. Dont' think any of them wore trousers for the long programme at World's though - maybe they didn't want to be pictured on the podium in trousers if they got there?!

As for guys. My son tends to wear skating trousers of the matt gaberdine-look lycra type as they are comfortable and practical. For practices he wears them with T shirts or rugby shirts and for tests or competitions he has a skating shirt I made him - the old one was blue lycra to match his pairs partner - but not tight fitting and his current one is matt black. He's never liked the ones with attached pants so I've used poppers to attach them to undershorts or cycle shorts worn under the trousers. He wears his trousers quite loose fitting too. I got his first pair for £3 (US$5 ish) at our club's second-hand sale and he wore them at a national level competition so it doesnt' have to be expensive!

My personal preference is to see a guy looking like a guy, with trousers and a top or shirt, rather than all-in-one outfits. I particularly dislike some of the all-in-one outfits in coloured velvet that look like babygro's to me. Having said that, I do like some of Johnny Weirs outfits but maybe that is because I love his skating (those whisper quiet and soft jump landings - swoon) so anything he wears is fine by me.

If you want a bit of sparkle to catch the light but don't want sequins or rhinestones there are some great metallic lycras about which are suitable for guys (e.g. black/silver), either for the whole top or an accent.