View Full Version : Exercises for Lunges/Spirals

DressageChica
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi again everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions or exercises for lunges and spirals. The flexibility that I want just isn't quite there, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

sue123
01-20-2005, 07:42 PM
probably just stretch really well and try doing them off ice. pilates and yoga is usually good for overall flexibility, but spirals and lunges you can do off the ice. but our instructor always tells us to be warmed up before we do them, so it's usually the last thing we do in hte off ice class once our muscles are warm.

kittie067
01-21-2005, 12:53 PM
pilates and yoga are definately good. but if you dont feel like doing either one. there is one move in yoga that i find helpful. i just do the "warrior pose" which is basically a lunge on the floor, with your arms out the side for balance. i dont know if you do this already, or not. but i hope it helps!
~kittie

_back_layback_
01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
For spirals (you need someone to help you):
Stand against a wall. Put your arms out so you are leaning against the wall. Have someone lift one leg as high as it will go. Have them hold it there for 30 seconds. Then, ttense you muscles and have the person holding your leg *SLOWLY* let go so you are holding the leg up. Hold for about 5 seconds. Do this 3 times. Release your leg and do the same on the other leg. Rinse and repeat if desired.;)
Do this every day and you will get AMAZING spirals. For flexibility stand with your back against the wall. Make sure your heel is also touching the wall and that the leg you are standding on is straight. Have someone lift your free leg as high as it would go. Have them hold it there for at least 30 seconds. Make sure the leg is directly infront of you, so that it will eventually touch your nose. Do the same for the other leg.
Another exercise for flexibility is basically the same as the one above, only the leg is to the side so that it will eventually touch your ear. Do these everyday, and the resualts will surprise you. Not in a bad way though ;) .

I know this sounds very 8O but it will help you soooooo much. Especially the spiral bit. I thought this task was almost impossible when I first tried it, but it has helped me LOADS.It has taken me about a month and a half of doing these exercises to get a vertical spiral. But then again, I am naturally flexible, so its a lot easier for me. The hard part for me was not being flexible enough to get a good spiral, but rather holding it up. These exercises will help you even if you aren't flexible though.

Good luck an happy skating! :D

sue123
01-22-2005, 01:41 PM
what we did today for spirals in my class was you get down on all 4's, and then lift up one leg and hold it there, making sure it's directly behind you. do the same on the other side. although i think this might help more with the strength then flexibility, but if you have the strength, you can hold it a bit higher and longer too.

NoVa Sk8r
01-22-2005, 02:27 PM
I think I have pretty good flexibility, and I think what has partially helped is stretching right after I skate. Also, 5 minutes before the session ends, I stretch my legs on the boards (actually, I *used to* do this--I should resume!). Then, after I take my skates off, I stretch my legs, do splits, and leaning against the wall, hold a few spiral positions.

Remember, the position will happen slowly, but surely. Barring genetics, you should probably see general improvement in a few months.