View Full Version : Various Boot Questions

CaraSkates
01-20-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a couple questions about my boots and skating. First off, I'm 15 and have been taking lessons since April 2004 (9 months now). I can do a waltz jump, salchow (with a little scraping of my toe but I'm working on it), half flip, toe loop, half lutz and learned a half loop yesterday. As far as spins, I can do a basic scratch spin from crossovers "quite well" (according to my coach). I'm learned the sit and back scratch spins. I've also been told I have good footwork.

I've had my boots since last March. I have Riedell Blue Ribbons. I wear a 10 shoe (big feet!) and my skates are an 8.5. As of last week I discovered I can lift my heel up in my skates. Yesterday, I skated for almost 4 hours and my heels were starting to hurt after that and feel like I was getting blisters. I haven't gotten any blisters yet, my heels just seem redder then usual. My coach thinks my boots are starting to break down.

I was wondering what I can do for my heels and when I will need the next level boot? To get an estimate of my size, I'm almost 5' 6" and around 140lbs. I don't look like I weigh that much though, my legs are very muscular. My coach says I'm very light on the ice for someone my size, especially compared to two other girls my age and slightly better skaters then me.

Oh, and can you really put hard guards in the dishwasher??

CanAmSk8ter
01-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I would get your feet measured again- chances are your fitter will do this anyway, they always should. Often when boots start to stretch out toward the end of their wear you get your heels moving around I've had that happen too. There isnt' really much you can do about it that I've been able to find, and trust me, I've tried it all. I think it's time for new skates. Blue Ribbon definitely sounds weak for your size and level at this point, but if you like the Riedells and they worked for you until now I'd stick with them and just go up a boot or two.

And yes, you really can put your guards in the dishwasher! I do it at least a couple of times a year, and I really should do it more often. (Actually, after four years I probably should just get new guards, b/c they're not coming clean anymore, but that's another thread...)

doubletoe
01-20-2005, 10:24 PM
I agree with the suggestion that you get your feet measured again. You may need a boot that is wide in front but has a narrow heel.

Andie
01-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, I wear Riedell Bronze Star's in women's size 8.... my regular shoes are normally 8 or 8.5. So I wonder if my skates should be a smaller size? (Have had them a little over two years.)

Like you, I think I'd definitely need to be fitted better next time. When I got my current skates, the sales girl didn't even fit me - I just had to use my best judgment. My ankles are somewhat narrow and when I do certain movements, my heels/ankles seem to move around a bit more than they should.

CaraSkates
01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
I've talked to my coach about this and she said for now I can try putting some padding (I was going to try moleskin) in the heel to help, but that wont last forever.
The only actual skate shop (our rink will order figure skates for you and measure you but they don't actually fit you very well) is not very close to my house, so I can't just drop in and be measured again. The Blue Ribbons have always felt great on my feet. Till the past week, when my heels started to move. My coach said the next thing I need would be the Gold Medallion because Riedells seem to work for me. So I guess I'll try the moleskin to skate this weekend and talk to my mom about when we can get to the skate shop...we're supposed to get 6-12" of snow tomorrow so it might not be soon... Thanks everyone :)

CanAmSk8ter
01-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Well, I wear Riedell Bronze Star's in women's size 8.... my regular shoes are normally 8 or 8.5. So I wonder if my skates should be a smaller size? (Have had them a little over two years.)

Like you, I think I'd definitely need to be fitted better next time. When I got my current skates, the sales girl didn't even fit me - I just had to use my best judgment. My ankles are somewhat narrow and when I do certain movements, my heels/ankles seem to move around a bit more than they should.

Major red flags here! They definitely should have measured your feet, that's not even a question. The other red flag for me is that last I knew, Riedells ran considerably smaller than shoe size. When I got my first Riedells I wore a 6 1/2-7 shoe and got a 6 skate, which my fitter said was in case my feet grew at all (I was 11). I got my next ones at 13 and he had me go down to a 5 1/2. Now, I think I heard that Riedell changed their sizing to be *closer* to shoe size, but an 8 if you wear an 8-8 1/2 shoe still sounds big to me. If there's another fitter anywhere in your area, I'd go there. That fact that someone sold you skates without measuring your feet boggles the mind.

Mrs Redboots
01-21-2005, 09:59 AM
I think everybody's first pair of skates is far too big for them, it's practically a rule! Once you've skated for awhile, you realise that they are.

My skates are too big for me but that's because they were stretched out when I was fatter, and now I've lost weight again. I shall get new ones soon, but not yet - in the meantime, I've put some thermal insoles in them, which make them fit quite beautifully again (I wouldn't bother with new ones if I didn't need new blades!), and have the big advantage of keeping my feet warmer, too!

Stormy
01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
The other red flag for me is that last I knew, Riedells ran considerably smaller than shoe size. When I got my first Riedells I wore a 6 1/2-7 shoe and got a 6 skate, which my fitter said was in case my feet grew at all (I was 11). I got my next ones at 13 and he had me go down to a 5 1/2. Now, I think I heard that Riedell changed their sizing to be *closer* to shoe size, but an 8 if you wear an 8-8 1/2 shoe still sounds big to me. If there's another fitter anywhere in your area, I'd go there. That fact that someone sold you skates without measuring your feet boggles the mind.

This is true, I have Riedells and I wear a Ladies size 5 1/2 - 6 shoe, and my boots are size 3 1/2 Childrens.

timing
01-21-2005, 08:13 PM

My daughter has Riedell Gold Star's. Her sneakers are a size 4. The Skates are size 2 1/2 which have recently been stretched. She was sized at a 3 for Riedell's and the fitter we use stretched them as he didn't think we should buy new skates until she would fit a 3 1/2. So her Riedell size is 1 size smaller than her sneaker size.

Elsy2
01-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Our biggest problem with skates has always been heels that were not snug. I haven't dealt with Reidell in years, but my skates are an 8 (SP-teri) and I wear a 9 1/2 shoe. So you wearing a 10 shoe and having an 8 1/2 skate may not be that far off for proper sizing.

You might want to ask about split widths with your next pair, where the front is wider than the heel. My skates are AA in front, AAA in the heel.

I was going to suggest the molefoam in the heel for now. We used to do that, but it packs down in a few weeks. We would replace it after about 3 weeks. (You said you would try moleskin, but the molefoam is thicker).