View Full Version : Should i go to my lesson?

sue123
01-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm getting over a stomach virus, and i'm not sure if i should go to my lesson on saturday. On the one hand, i feel kinda ok, but on the other hand, i haven't eaten anything since monday, so i'm not sure how much energy i'm going to have standing in a cold rink. Granted it is only thursday, but they like at least 24 hours notice beforehand. Does anyone have any input?

russiet
01-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Ask yourself these questions:

1.) Do I have a body temperature greater than 100? If yes, don't go.
2.) When I walk fast or make quick moves, do I feel strong? Is my balance good? If not , don't go.
3.) If I spin around, will I, uh, well....get sick (eupheimistically speaking) If yes, PLEASE don't go.

Etc., etc....

Mrs Redboots
01-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I can't remember whether you're doing classes or having private lessons? Either way, ring your instructor this evening and explain the situation, but reserve the right to come in if you've had a decent meal between now and then. Most instructors have enough leeway that they can "expect you if they see you" in such circumstances. If, for any reason yours doesn't, then cancel your class or lesson, but go in to practice if you're well enough.

And don't go if you're not eating properly again - training too soon after a virus of any kind can risk a post-viral fatigue syndrome, and there is no way you want that! If your appetite has come back today and tomorrow, no reason not to go!

TashaKat
01-20-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm a horror for skating/riding/dancing when I'm sick and injured BUT don't do what I do ....

I was very sick the week before my holiday (ended up in hospital). I was discharged from hospital on the Thursday evening complete with a violent stomach bug. I didn't eat from Friday morning (having rejected Thursday's food) to Sunday evening and even then I was, erm, ill after my first meal. I went away on holiday on Monday morning and could feel that I was a bit off balance (literally) though I got through the lessons fine. On Tuesday the same thing BUT by my fourth lesson of the holiday (3 lessons a day) I'd already fallen off twice (from a horse measuring 70" to the base of his neck!). I should have listened to my body .... but I didn't, I felt 'fine' apart from my balance being 'off'. Fifth lesson, I did all the hard stuff and then fell off doing the easy stuff .... again from a great height. A week later my foot/ankle is still bruised, still swelling up and I still can't put my full weight on it.

In retrospect I should have accepted that I wasn't fit to exercise but I did and I paid the price.

If you feel at all off then cancel, it's not worth a 'stupid' injury for a day off skating.

All the best and I hope that you're feeling better soon.

x

NickiT
01-20-2005, 02:41 PM
I'd think very carefully on this one. I suffered a stomach virus in the summer and went for my lesson three days after the bug had ended. I felt fine and thought I'd be able to skate with no problems. However once I got into my lesson I felt very weak and faint and very nearly passed out on the ice. My coach took me into the cafe and bought me a hot chocolate to drink and we sat there for most of my lesson. The problem with stomach bugs is that you become so weak from dehydration as well as not eating and of course skating is a strenuous activity that requires a lot of energy. It may be better waiting a week before you skate in a lesson, or maybe just have a gentle skate without a lesson.

Nicki

sue123
01-20-2005, 03:55 PM
mrs redboots, i have group classes, but if you miss the class, you still have to call beforehand for some reason, even though they still run the class. at this point, i''m still not too sure what i'll do, but i did have my first meal today and i'm getting my appetite back, so i think i might wait and see how i'm feeling tonight, and if i'm still not sure, i'll call tomorrow and tell them maybe. i figure if anything, when we do the spins, i might be able to just sneak off to the side and sit out the spinning practice time. the instructor is pretty nice about not really forcing people to do things, especially if she knows something's wrong.

doubletoe
01-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Why don't you call and say you won't be able to make it, but then go ahead and go anyway if you find that you're feeling better? :)