View Full Version : What to do about ankle pronation?

Casey
01-16-2005, 04:33 AM
Well, I was looking at the Harlick's link that jazzpants provided the other day, and saw the bit about ankle pronation...

http://www.harlick.com/img/order/pronate2.jpg

So I went to a mirror and checked how my ankles looked from behind, and was terrified. They look just like the model here:

http://www.harlick.com/img/order/pronate.jpg

Oh no!! Since I already have boots which did not take this into account, what can I do to help with this problem?

Aussie Willy
01-16-2005, 05:47 AM
I have a problem similar to that and went to a physio for it. In fact I went to the physio for my knee and he told me it was the ankle that was the problem. So I got some exercises for it, including trying to hold my foot in the right position and doing bending like that. I also used a theraband to help strengthen it.

sue123
01-16-2005, 09:17 AM
my fitter actually moved the blade so that i would have better balance. But you could do strengthening exercises, unfortunatly though, i don't think there's much else you could do for it. When i was running, i had to get special running shoes for pronators, and i remember asking if there was anything i could do, and the answer i always got was a not really. nothing that would work.

CanAmSk8ter
01-16-2005, 01:09 PM
I pronate a bit, and just to make things more difficult I have really high arches too. When I have blades mounted, I usually end up having them mounted a bit off-center to compensate, and I have a pair of over-the-counter arch supports in my skates. It took me years to find a brand that I liked, but I finally did.

Do you think the pronation is affecting your skating at all? If so, you might want to see if your fitter thinks your blades should be moved over. Try doing a one-foot glide, and then go back and look at your tracing. Are there two parallel lines, or just one? Two parallel lines indicate that you're on a flat, which in this case is good. If you see that you're going from two lines to one line, it means you're dropping onto one edge or the other, which isn't what you want in this case. That's an indication that you may need to have the blade moved, or consult with a physio re: ankle strength and/or orthotics.

jazzpants
01-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi, cshobe!

You could go to an orthopedic surgeon to create a molding of your foot for orthotics to put into your boots. But I would have a doctor check to make sure that you are pronated enough for it. (In my case, my chiropractor says that I have strong pronation and could use orthotics to deal with the stress on my lower back caused by the pronation.) I also need it b/c my old boot was breaking down to the point where it was straining my Achilles heel...

But this is just me... I would get thee to a doctor (orthopedic surgeon or chiropractor) to see if you even NEED the orthotics first.

Good luck!

Casey
01-16-2005, 02:34 PM
and I have a pair of over-the-counter arch supports in my skates. It took me years to find a brand that I liked, but I finally did.
Where can you buy those? What sort do you use?

Do you think the pronation is affecting your skating at all? If so, you might want to see if your fitter thinks your blades should be moved over. Try doing a one-foot glide, and then go back and look at your tracing. Are there two parallel lines, or just one?

I have done this, and I do leave two lines, but maybe it's because I've unconciously developed a habit of leaning to compensate and I don't even realize it?

This is just really a downer...I was hoping maybe I could get inserts for my skates and shoes and wear them all the time and in time my ankles would become normal... *sigh* :cry:

jazzpants
01-16-2005, 02:52 PM
This is just really a downer...I was hoping maybe I could get inserts for my skates and shoes and wear them all the time and in time my ankles would become normal... *sigh* :cry: Of course, if you find out that you actually have NORMAL ankles, count your lucky stars!!! (Less hassles and MUCH cheaper that way!) ;) (That's why I suggested a doctor or a chiro...)

Casey
01-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Of course, if you find out that you actually have NORMAL ankles, count your lucky stars!!! (Less hassles and MUCH cheaper that way!) ;) (That's why I suggested a doctor or a chiro...)
I didn't see your earlier post until just now - guess I was composing my last response at the same time. Anyways I'm pretty sure they aren't normal - they look just awful in the mirror.

I'll definitely have to talk to a doctor about it, but it will probably have to wait until I get a new job that offers health insurance, as I have none now...

fadedstardust
01-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah you should go to an orthopedist and get some custom made insoles for your skates and your shoes. It won't go away and it'll only bring problems in the future. Truuuuuuust me.

CanAmSk8ter
01-16-2005, 07:15 PM
You can get over-the-counter arch supports at any drug store or even Wal-Mart or Target. But I would consult with a doctor first a) to make sure you need an orthotic or arch support in the first place, and b) to make sure an OTC one will be enough. I had customs at one point, but my feet were still changing slightly (I was 20 or so at the time) and rather than shelling out $400 for new ones, I decided to try OTC ones. It took several pairs, and four pairs of boots too, but I finally found a brand I liked.

fadedstardust
01-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Yeah I tried over the counter ones too a few times, and just never found anything that helped my foot very much. It's such a personal anatomy thing, that the odds of finding the very exact thing you need (and if you don't, you'll get horrible arch cramps, though you'll get arch cramps if you get ones that are right for you at first, too, it will go away if they are fitted properly though) at a drugstore where there are maybe four choices in all, are slim to none. I definitely think that is you are going to skate a lot, and especially since you just spentso much on your equipment, that this would be a very worthwhile investement. But go to the doctor first, you might not even NEED them at all.

russiet
01-17-2005, 06:03 AM
I pronate quite a bit & don't have much of an arch. I use a 10 degree hard rubber wedge under my heel & a sponge ruubber arch support (installed by my boot fitter Jonathan English).

I also was a fitter at one time, but that was at a ski shop on a mountain. We used much the same technique with devices under the footbed. A poor man's orthotic, but it helps a lot. Here's a link to ski boot fitting aids. Look up the heel wedges.:

http://www.tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_sk i_snowboard.html#SPK-HWS

Ooooo., here's another, possibly better link:

http://www.drzags.com/footworx.htm

I also know that over the years that my strenghth in that area has increased a lot. I stand bare foot and relax it looks like I'm horribly pronated. If I stand with a flexed knee & balance on one foot, the strength in my foot & ankle rolls it up to a neutral stance.

Jon