View Full Version : Music aghh !!!!

spinningtiger
01-14-2005, 01:32 PM
finding music can sometimes drive me nuts!!! I am looking for a 9 year old who is pre prelim any idea would be greatly appreciated!

OOH she likes the fu fu stuff but does have good strong elements and is a strong sturdy little skater who is short for her age But muscular

thanks

dbny
01-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Walk Like An Egyptian

Aussie Willy
01-14-2005, 06:00 PM
We have a girl at our rink who does a great Walk like an Egyptian program :) .

Something like a light waltz would be good. I used the theme from a TV show called Ballykissangel (British series) which is quite light, has a Irish feel about it and has lots of variation. Even though I used it as a adult, it would be good for a kid. If you are interested I could burn a copy for you. I could definately say it has never been used before.

There is also Romance from the Gadfly by Shostokovich. Very nice piece but does have some variation in it. And some of Shostokovich's polkas are good but they might be a bit young.

I hope my suggestions are in keeping with what this girl needs. I know it is difficult without seeing the skater but I do think a child needs a light piece of music rather than something overdramatic.

Another suggestion is we had a skater use that Alice DJ piece "Are you better off alone". It was an instrumental one without lyrics but the program the skater here did was great and she was about 9 when she did that one.

fadedstardust
01-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Well pre-pre is USFSA, so the music can't have lyrics (Walk Like an Egyptian has lyrics, it's best suited for ISI competitions). I'm a firm believer in having classical pieces for little kids so they can develop their ears and movement to it. I can't stand when little kids do "kiddie" numbers, it drives me nuts, and it drove me nuts when I was 9, too. I think it should be just regular classical music- suited to her style of movement. A waltz if she's elegant and balletic, something stacatto if she's a little more brisk and skates fast...you get the drift. I think you do do a favor to the kid when you make them skate to "grown up" music at an early age, otherwise they become Junior skaters, and they have to skate to classical music for the first time, and they can't get into it and have no idea what to do with themselves. That's just my point of view, though.

Mrs Redboots
01-15-2005, 05:21 AM
Many of my coach's kids have skated to various cuts from "Forrest Gump", which seems pretty accessible on all fronts.

Otherwise, why not something from "The Nutcracker" or "Swan Lake"? Or even the "Waltz" from Sleeping Beauty, which your skater would undoubtedly recognise as the "Once upon a dream" theme from the Disney cartoon of that name!

samba
01-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Just an observation in watching young ones skating including my own son when he was younger, I always find that they skate better to something they like, I know I certainly do, I have noticed that as soon as a new film comes out that has good music, someone has picked it up to skate to, firstly because its new and they like it and secondly its not been done to death.

samba
01-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Just noticed that you must have been typing your answer the same time as mine Annabel, funny you should have mentioned Forrest Gump, I skated to that at Bracknel, loved it.

G

spinningtiger
01-15-2005, 06:28 PM
thank you for all the input I guess I forgot to include that we are under skatecanada and well she is my daughter so picking music seems to be harder!? and we can not have and voice ? thanks for the ideas

skatersmama
01-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I am from Canada also and my daughter skated pre-prelim last year. She used music from the movie Shrek. It was very nice. Another skater from our club used "Santorini" from Yanni. There is also music from Lord of the Rings, Frank Mills, etc. Lots out there. Listen to commericals, movie background music for ideas. This year my daughter is skating to music from the new Peter Pan movie.
Good luck finding something.

Isk8NYC
01-18-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure if I've got the picture: "FuFu" means light and delicate, right? But you'd like her to skate to something more powerful? So you need something to satisfy both of you?

How about some Swing music (In the Mood) or a piece from West Side Story? Scheherazade (or Aladdin, my personal favorite) would also be interesting.

google
01-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Listen to the two pieces by Alan Silvestri on the Stuart Little 2 soundtrack.

skatemum
01-21-2005, 06:38 AM
There really is some fantastic music around just in soundtracks from the movies like Master & Commander, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and the list goes on. You just have look around, maybe listen to samples on the net.

The one point I would strongly urge is that the music is something your child likes and suits their skating style. I feel bad for kids who have really powerful music peices but the skating isn't strong enough for the selection. Choose music that will highlight your childs strengths.

kermit
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
I am from Canada also and my daughter skated pre-prelim last year. She used music from the movie Shrek. It was very nice. Another skater from our club used "Santorini" from Yanni. There is also music from Lord of the Rings, Frank Mills, etc. Lots out there. Listen to commericals, movie background music for ideas. This year my daughter is skating to music from the new Peter Pan movie.
Good luck finding something.

Oh, I love the music from that Peter Pan movie. It is beautiful (so is the movie).

spinningtiger
01-26-2005, 11:12 PM
thanks well I found a few peices by patrick doyle and then one from Leroy anderson thanks for all the infor

NYC
01-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Just to let you know parents, if your kid turns into a pre-novice or novice competitor (basically when they get mature), let your kid pick out the music on his/her own. I've let my choreographer pick out my music at one time and I despised it. I couldn't skate to it. Then I started picking out my music and I was really happy, and I wish to keep my music for another season. But yeah.....we had this local senior skater who was like 17 at the time.......her mom picked out her music and picked out this Irish jig that was well suited for a pee wee group or something around that. Her coach was very embaressed didn't let her skate it to becuase it was too inmature. Like, who would pick out a pee wee piece for a senior competitor?

iskatealot
02-01-2005, 07:12 AM
When I was Pre Prelim I skated to music from Anastatia... there is also always Shrek or the good old fall back of the pink panther