View Full Version : Another jump and spin direction question

Scarlett
01-12-2005, 10:39 AM
I originally posted this in the on-ice forum but I would also like opinions from coaches. I am an adult skater who is basically ambidextrous. I am strongly right footed so my landing edges and spin entrances are better in the CCW direction. My two foot spins are a little better but still not good in the CCW direction. However, I naturally tend to rotate CW. I have a waltz jump and 1/2 flip and 1/2 lutz in the CW position but my spins are horrendous. My question is: Should I just try to learn to jump and spin in the CCW position even though it is counter-intuitive? It feels very unnatural. TIA

Hydroblade
01-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Never go counterclock wise if your natural direction is clockwise. It will not get you anywhere. You will not learn as quickly and will not have as much fun.

Well thats my opinion.

backspin
01-12-2005, 11:42 AM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying you like to spin CCW, and jump CW, is that right? Though rare, there are people who do that, & it's fine. You should spin & jump in whichever direction feels the most natural.

Scarlett
01-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Ok I think I was being confusing...Basically I prefer to spin and jump CW but am right-footed so my landings are better when I force myself to jump and/or spin CCW. It just feels really weird and unnatural in the CCW direction. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do.

flippet
01-12-2005, 03:57 PM
In that case, I'd continue to skate CW, and just practice, practice, practice to bring your left foot up to speed, so to speak. We all have a 'good side' and a 'bad side' , which often shows up glaringly in footwork...but since we need to do footwork on both sides generally equally well...you've just got to practice.

kayskate
01-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Basically I prefer to spin and jump CW but am right-footed so my landings are better when I force myself to jump and/or spin CCW. It just feels really weird and unnatural in the CCW direction.

Sounds like you would do footwork better on your right foot regardless of direction. I guess I am left-footed. I skate CW, so I land on my left. However, forward spins are on my right and these are very good. Bspins are on my left and they are not too bad either.

Kay

dbny
01-12-2005, 08:12 PM
In that case, I'd continue to skate CW, and just practice, practice, practice to bring your left foot up to speed, so to speak. We all have a 'good side' and a 'bad side' , which often shows up glaringly in footwork...but since we need to do footwork on both sides generally equally well...you've just got to practice.

I agree. Of the elements involved in spinning and jumping, the landing and exit edge are the easiest to fix with practice. Make yourself do at least ten waltz jumps CW every time you skate. Before you know it, the landing will seem natural to you.

Scarlett
01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Thank you guys so much. I decided to go ahead and go with my natural direction. Now if just hadn't wasted the last week and a half attempting to jump and spin the "wrong way" :)