View Full Version : I got my new skates!! And they rock!

Casey
01-12-2005, 02:26 AM
I am so excited! Today my fitter called me and said that he had received my blades and would have them mounted by later that day. Perfect timing too, since he left for the Nationals in Portland this evening (he and his sister won 1st in novice ice dance in 1999 and 8th in ice dance last year).

Today worked out to be a great day all around. I left work early to go interview for a new job, which went really really well, both because it's a perfect fit of a job for me and because skating has boosted my confidence - I could really tell a difference in myself from a few months ago. Then I rushed from there and picked up my skates, then rushed back to my home rink.

I was late and missed the public lesson, but I went skating anyways. The coach from the public lessons was still there and came up to me on the rink to inquire why I'd missed class - I explained about the new skates, pointing at my feet. She said that she had seen me practicing during the last week and thought that I was in too low-level of a class. So she's going to come in early next week and rate what level I ought to be in properly.

Okay so enough babble, on to the skates! The new blades are actually mounted properly, and are the correct length for the boot. On my old skates, the metal plate is mounted about 1/8 inch from the front of the boot sole, and about 3/8 inch from the back. It's an 11" blade. On my new boots the blade is 11.75", and is mounted such that both ends are flush with the sole edges.

Oh what a difference it makes! I have more stability and can lean back farther without falling, and NEVER hit the toepick anymore! The proper part of the blade is under the actual ball of my foot, so I can balance on it properly and pull off a 1-foot spin with a couple revolutions now - on the old skate I had to try centering the weight a bit behind the ball of my foot, which made it impossible to do.

The blades are also just sharpened, which makes a difference, but I've found that when I execute a 3-turn properly, it just flows ever so perfect and smooth...I attribute this to having better control of which part of the blade is on the ice.

About 5 regulars noticed my slower, more uncertain skating and the new skates, and commented on them (a lot of people liked the suede finish), which was nice.

The boots were especially hard on the soles of my feet (they have arch support, which the Klingbeils were sadly lacking), and after a while and especially after skating backwards a bit my outside ankle bones got sore as well, so after an hour of skating I finally decided my feet had had enough, and took them off and changed back into the old Klingbeils. Like an old friend, my feet felt happier in them, and I found that I could skate a lot faster than with the new ones which will take some getting used to. However it became painfully obvious how much they *move*, in an uncontrolled and sloppy fashion, as I skate.

I may have felt less certain on the new skates, but I had actually had a lot better control in them - they were less "slippery" on the ice. I tried some of the same things again, like 3-turns, which just didn't feel nearly as good, and 1-foot spins for even just one revolution finding the proper spot on the blade, which failed miserably. It will take some time to relearn everything on the new skates, but it's a change for the better.

I'm really happy that they turned out to work so well, because I was feeling pretty uncertain for a while. The boots fit tight and well, the blades performed like a dream and I think spins are within my reach now, and the skates are prettier to boot!

So happy...

sue123
01-12-2005, 08:51 AM
just remember, when you break in new skates, you don;t really want to do much besides skate. and make sure you leave the top one or 2 hooks open at first. also, you should take them off every now and then to let your feet relax and then relace them, since as the boot comforms to your foot, you may need to lace them tighter. but i'm glad you like your new skates. happy skating.

Mrs Redboots
01-12-2005, 08:55 AM
And make sure you wear thin socks, and use baby powder to help your feet settle in. The old pros used to recommend wringing out a pair of your skating socks in hot water, and wearing the boots (with blade guards, of course) around the house until the socks were dry as the fastest way to break in your boots. Husband, last time he got new boots, stood around doing the ironing in them, which worked for him.....

garyc254
01-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Ah..... the joys of new skates.

Cool!!! 8-)

bridgeport
01-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Roaster Bags! Go ahead and laugh you heads off! If you try this one, you won't get blisters. Get roaster bags (the kind you roast turkey or roast beef in so that the meat stays moist) and put them on your feet before you put your skates on. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ORDINARY PLASTIC BAGS! You may feel foolish and have to endure some kidding from your friends, but it really works!

CanAmSk8ter
01-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Wow, I had forgotten all about that! I remember using oven bags with my Riedells years ago. I went to Risport and then Jackson and didn't need to use bags with them but they were a lifesaver with those Riedells. It really does work- the plastic makes your feet sweat more, and the heat helps the leather start to mold.

fadedstardust
01-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I'll go against the grain and say you really shouldn't do any of the wet sock over bag whatever stuff. The only way your boots are SURE to break in properly is to wear them (on the ice only) about an hour a day, of ONLY stroking. The upside is that it'll do wonders for your stroking (you can do some MITF too, but no spins and ESPECIALLY no jumps, doing so can cause them to start creasing in the wrong spots to give way to the pressue which can't be distribited evenly yet because your boots don't have any bend to them). But there's a lot of people (at least that I've spoken to) that feel the wet sock bit will only make your boot break in wrong, because you're not skating while you are wearing them, and the wear and tear from boots while you are sitting down or walking around is different than when you are on the ice.

Most of us take the pain and break our boots in the regular way: lots of stroking, and lots of time. I suggest you do the same considering how much money you've just spent on equipment. If nothing else, trying to break them down faster will only make them less durable. If you soak your boots, sure it'll break them in faster, but then the leather will be weaker all around and it'll have less of a lifespan. Just my thoughts on this.

Meanwhile, it could very well be both having boots/blades that fit you better AND the reason I'm going to give you, but I think your greater ease in spins and smoother edges on 3-turns and the like come from the superior quality of the Gold Seals rather than 1/9 of an inch of difference in blade sizes. 'The greater ease is the main reason I felt you shouldn't get Gold Seals in the first place- they make everything easier so you don't work as hard and your skills wouldn't hold up as well in other blades. You'll probably never switch blades but your skills shouldn't be dependent on the level of blades you're wearing at beginning stages (meaning, sure you can do a bracket with top of the line blades, but if you were secure in the step if you could do it in low level blades as well, and now you'll never know)- nonetheless, I do think a lot of the positive changes you have experienced in your skating are because Gold Seals are top of the line blades and will make everything just a little bit smoother and easier. Good luck to you during this break in period! I swear it'll get less painful as time passes.

love2sk8
01-12-2005, 10:09 PM
The only way your boots are SURE to break in properly is to wear them (on the ice only) about an hour a day, of ONLY stroking. The upside is that it'll do wonders for your stroking (you can do some MITF too, but no spins and ESPECIALLY no jumps,

except when you have to compete the very next day...it's happened to me twice..

Casey
01-13-2005, 03:46 AM
I'll go against the grain and say you really shouldn't do any of the wet sock over bag whatever stuff.
I actually totally agree with you on this one. I don't mind a painful break-in period. To be honest they're not very painful at all compared to breaking in the used Klingbeils. They're uncomfortable after a while, but nothing like the searing pain to the ankle bones I had before after only minutes on the ice.

The only way your boots are SURE to break in properly is to wear them (on the ice only) about an hour a day, of ONLY stroking.
Hmm, I will have to stop effing around with 3-turns and so on...and as for jumps, I have been resisting the temptation to try, because the fitter told me the same thing. But today I went skating (only for a half hour after ballet :?? ), and found that I could was much more confident on the skates today, and could do everything I could do before, with notable exception of backwards 3-turns and shoot-the-duck.

greater ease ... comes from the superior quality of the Gold Seals rather than 1/9 of an inch of difference in blade sizes.

Gold Stars... 1/9"? It's 3/4"... I think a lot of the difference is that the old boots should have had a 11.5" blade (I measured), and instead had a 11" mounted too far forward. Another interesting thing is that the balance is perfect on the new blades, it was not on the old...I think a lot of this is because on the old boots the heels had collapsed a good quarter inch or so where the blade was mounted, which probably made the blade angle off...I think that's why I can't find the same balance on shoot-the-duck now - I have to rediscover it. So I agree that part of it may be the superior quality of the blades, but I'd wager at lot of the improvement can be attributed to a properly matched boot and blade with a proper mounting.

The greater ease is the main reason I felt you shouldn't get Gold Seals in the first place- they make everything easier so you don't work as hard and your skills wouldn't hold up as well in other blades.
Here I have to disagree. While if I execute a move properly, it flows smoothly and beautifully, the skates enforce me to do things correctly. I can't get by with a sloppy haphazard move as I could on the old ones (which I think is why my backwards 3-turns went away, they were never terribly good and my balance was generally off - I've only managed to do one of them on the new skates).

Good luck to you during this break in period! I swear it'll get less painful as time passes.
Thanks! And no worries about the pain - it's really not a lot of bother, and I am happy to accept it, because once the Klingbeils shaped to my feet, they became nice and comfortable too (except for the darned tongue bite, which a strip of rubber padding mostly remedied).

jazzpants
01-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Okay cshobe... THIS is how Harlicks recommend you break in new boots!

http://www.harlick.com/order/faq.php#break

I'm breaking in my customs this way and so far it's looking great! :D Okay, I was bad and tried to do some spins:twisted: ...but I did NOT jump!!! I simply concentrated on doing my Bronze Moves instead, which is what I've been doing for the past $@#*^ 2 years anyway!!! :evil: (I know. It's good for me...but it sure is boring after 2 years...)

Blosmbubbs
01-13-2005, 08:54 PM
You guys he has Graf Edmonton Specials, so his break in time will be less and less painful than Harlicks etc. So Cshobe did you get the boots heat molded? I got mine heated and they weren't hurting as much.

jazzpants
01-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I know he has Graf Edmonton Specials. He asked for advice on how to break in new boots. I would give the same advice whether he has Harlicks, Riddells, SP Teri, Graf, Klingbeils... you know the drill...

BTW: My break-in with my new custom Harlicks is painless so far!!! They fit like a dream for me!!! :mrgreen: The blade alignment is not perfect, but it's pretty good considering... just have to get the blade permanently mounted.

Casey
01-13-2005, 10:56 PM
You guys he has Graf Edmonton Specials, so his break in time will be less and less painful than Harlicks etc. So Cshobe did you get the boots heat molded? I got mine heated and they weren't hurting as much.

They were heat molded when I first tried them out a few weeks back. He was going to heat mold them once more when I picked them up, but we were in a hurry when I picked them up because I had to get to my lesson and he was on his way to the Nationals, so that didn't get done.

All in all they're pretty comfortable, my feet just get sore on the soles and ankle bones after a while (I have very pronounced ankle bones) but it's not intolerable. The Klingbeils on the other hand were a sheer horror for the first week or so, but I persisted.

Jazzpants, question for you - my blades are also temporarily mounted for the time being - they seem properly mounted, but how can I be sure the alignment is as perfect as possible? Oh, and I bought some jazz pants today, for ballet class. I've never wore any before, so they feel strange, being tight on the hips and loose on the calves. Anyways they're off to the tailor to be hemmed to my size now. Just had to mention that. ;)

fadedstardust
01-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Your fitter should have checked how you were standing up in the skates and looked at the alignment on the blades with your weight on the skates to make sure they were perfectly mounted for you and that you are not either pronating or sickling your feet in them due to bad alignment of the blades. You should be able to stand straight on the blades, without tipping over (even slightly) to the insides or outsides of your edges. It's not really rocket science most of the time, and if you are not feeling any balance problems I would say they're mounted correctly.

Permanently mounted blades can have two different meanings. Some "temporary mountings" mean they only have a couple of screws in. YOU DO NOT want to skate in blades that only have two screws in there- they are for testing purposes only and once you're sure they are where you want them, more screws get added. However, I've seen some fitters "permanently mount" blades by putting ALL the screws in every single hole. You don't want that either, cause if and when you get new blades, the holes will have widened, and since they will all have been used, there will be none left for the new blades to get put into. You want 3/4 of the screws in there, but not all of them.

Casey
01-14-2005, 02:02 AM
We did not have time to check them on the ice due to circumstances described, but I'll be going back for that next week. He told me to try them out and see if I noticed any problems in the meanwhile.

They are somewhere between temporarily and permanently mounted by your definitions - the temporary screws in the slot-sized holes are there, but also a couple permanent bevelled screws in place already to keep it from slipping before I go back.

Strangely, the screws have a square hole, instead of flathead like my old ones, so I'll have to find a screwdriver for them eventually...

russiet
01-14-2005, 06:46 AM
We did not have time to check them on the ice due to circumstances described, but I'll be going back for that next week. He told me to try them out and see if I noticed any problems in the meanwhile.

They are somewhere between temporarily and permanently mounted by your definitions - the temporary screws in the slot-sized holes are there, but also a couple permanent bevelled screws in place already to keep it from slipping before I go back.

Strangely, the screws have a square hole, instead of flathead like my old ones, so I'll have to find a screwdriver for them eventually...

You want a #1 square drive. Go to http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?ProductID=hd-0174

Or try a local hardware store.

The screws in the slots will be termed "round head", or "pan head" (the underside of the head is flat). The screws in the beveled holes will be called "flat head" (they have a beveled underside). The head type is unrelated to the drive type.

Be careful not to overdrive with the square drive. Go easy.

flippet
01-14-2005, 07:49 AM
they seem properly mounted, but how can I be sure the alignment is as perfect as possible?

On the ice, do a slow one-foot glide, tucking your free foot behind the skating calf (or tight right alongside the skating foot). If you keep going very straight, and don't feel that you're struggling to keep from falling to the inside or outside edge, then you're probably just fine. Since you're on a 'flat', you should see two distinct parallel lines in the tracing.

Glad they seem to be working for you! You did get the soles 'sealed', right? (I recommend sno-seal, but some Graf dealers like to use the harder stuff...I don't think it's 'real' shellac, but whatever it is.)

Casey
01-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Glad they seem to be working for you! You did get the soles 'sealed', right? (I recommend sno-seal, but some Graf dealers like to use the harder stuff...I don't think it's 'real' shellac, but whatever it is.)
Nope, but it's high on my agenda of things to do next week when the fitter gets back. I think sno-seal is the way to go. My roommate told me I don't need to worry about putting anything on the soles - I told him he was crazy.

flippet
01-14-2005, 01:53 PM
My roommate told me I don't need to worry about putting anything on the soles - I told him he was crazy.

This would be the roomate you got the Klingbeils from? And, IIRC, these would be the skates that the blade plate 'sank' into? Hmm.... :roll:

My skates also seem to have some sort of clear-ish 'caulk' around the blade plate...I don't know what kind of caulk it is (regular, or something special), but it seems to do a fantastic job of keeping water out from under the plate (or getting through the screw holes), and I don't see any 'problems' from having it there.

Casey
01-14-2005, 02:59 PM
This would be the roomate you got the Klingbeils from? And, IIRC, these would be the skates that the blade plate 'sank' into? Hmm.... :roll:
Nope, I got the skates on eBay, and they arrived in that condition...

But his advice seems to be of varying usefulness...he can skate fairly well after not doing it for years, and does offer useful insights and advice sometimes, but other times (like this one) his recommendations seem quite contrary to popular opinion.

fadedstardust
01-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, you really need to get something onto the boots, pronto. Sno seal is best.

As far as checking blade alignment- I meant in his shop, I've never met a fitter who'd go on the ice to check, he couldn't check blade alignment on the ice if you're gliding anyways, you'd have to stand still and you can do that just as well on the floor. You just stand there and he looks at if your foot is going in or out, or if it's straight. That's all there is to it. You can do that in a mirror I guess, but fitters usually know better than skaters, which is why they do it. No need to drag your fitter out onto the ice, though. ;)

Blosmbubbs
01-15-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't think I got my boots waterproofed with the sno seal as I normally do. However, I haven't had much trouble with the soles coming apart either, beware of that with the Grafs. I have had a few of the screws break off in the boot :evil: , and it leaves no room for new screws, a big pain to try to get them out of the sole.

LittleBitSk8er
01-16-2005, 02:14 AM
just remember, when you break in new skates, you don;t really want to do much besides skate. and make sure you leave the top one or 2 hooks open at first. also, you should take them off every now and then to let your feet relax and then relace them, since as the boot comforms to your foot, you may need to lace them tighter. but i'm glad you like your new skates. happy skating.

We were informed that leaving the top notches undone is actually not good to do. Has to do with breaking them in wrong, the toung moves???? My daughters first coach recommended that and the tong always gave us problems. Now that her new skates are in and we laced them up 100%, we have never had a problem. (Knock on wood) This is a common misconception with coaches, students should do that, according to our skate fitter who is also a skater.

My daughter has had several skates. She just now moved into the Klingbeils and has loved them from the first day. The Riedell and SP Teri's both killed her foot. She has a very high instep and so far, these new Klingbeils have been great! BTW, she was been in them over a month now, so they are broke in. Her coaches also told us not to let her put her old skates back on her feet, when we went to the Riedell to SP Teri. She only has the SP Teri’s for about 3 months, and then we went back to Riedell’s. They worked but she now needs a stiffer boot. As long as she is happy, I am.

Glad you like your skates. Everyone’s feet are different so I guess that is why there are so many different options of skates. Like someone said before HAPPY SKATING.......

sue123
01-16-2005, 09:01 AM
We were informed that leaving the top notches undone is actually not good to do. Has to do with breaking them in wrong, the toung moves???? My daughters first coach recommended that and the tong always gave us problems. Now that her new skates are in and we laced them up 100%, we have never had a problem. (Knock on wood) This is a common misconception with coaches, students should do that, according to our skate fitter who is also a skater.

My daughter has had several skates. She just now moved into the Klingbeils and has loved them from the first day. The Riedell and SP Teri's both killed her foot. She has a very high instep and so far, these new Klingbeils have been great! BTW, she was been in them over a month now, so they are broke in. Her coaches also told us not to let her put her old skates back on her feet, when we went to the Riedell to SP Teri. She only has the SP Teri’s for about 3 months, and then we went back to Riedell’s. They worked but she now needs a stiffer boot. As long as she is happy, I am.

Glad you like your skates. Everyone’s feet are different so I guess that is why there are so many different options of skates. Like someone said before HAPPY SKATING.......

i don't know, but that's what my skate fitter told me to do. he said for the first few hours, to leave the top notches undone so that there's not excess pressure and the boots don't break incorrectly. once they're broken in, of course lace them to the top. but when i got my skates, that's what my fitter told me to do, and that's what i did, and i don't have any problems now.

flippet
01-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Leaving the top hooks undone is not necessarily for 'proper break-in' per se, but more so that you can still get proper deep knee bend with stiff, new boots, and skate with proper posture, and avoid tripping over your picks onto your nose. Getting proper knee bend (the same bend that you want once the boots are broken in and you're lacing all the way up) will, of course, help to put any creases in the right places, so in that way, it helps with proper break-in. I've never had the tongue move on me due to this. Some boots simply have a tongue problem, and that sucker's going to shift around no matter what you do or don't do. In fact, I'm still not lacing all the way to the top with my SPTeri's, and the tongue sits just fine. Also, if you lace all the way up right from the start...you're kind of asking for blisters from unyielding stiff leather right around the top edge. That 'sock-line blister' is really unpretty, and kind of painful. (Although, IIRC, Graf has that spiffy rolled edge so it's all puffy padding at the top, no 'edge' to speak of.)

Blosmbubbs
01-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Ok everybody here is my experience with breaking in different boots. With Harlicks I left the top two hooks undone for about a week then left only the top one for another week. Then as soon as they were a little broken in I would lace them to the top. The reason for that is because they were so stiff you couldn't lace them to the top and still be able to skate. With Grafs I left the top two undone and went on the ice and couldn't really skate it was too wobbly so I tied it up one more hook and it was a little better. These boots are so different that you need to lace them up right away cause they aren't as stiff. Hope it helps.

doubletoe
01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
I think your greater ease in spins and smoother edges on 3-turns and the like come from the superior quality of the Gold Seals rather than 1/9 of an inch of difference in blade sizes. 'The greater ease is the main reason I felt you shouldn't get Gold Seals in the first place- they make everything easier so you don't work as hard and your skills wouldn't hold up as well in other blades.

What I've heard about the differences in top-of-the-line blades and lower-end blades is that the lower end blades give you more room for error, while the top-of-the-line blades like Gold Seals give you less margin for error but reward you with higher performance when you use correct technique.

doubletoe
01-20-2005, 10:43 PM
i don't know, but that's what my skate fitter told me to do. he said for the first few hours, to leave the top notches undone so that there's not excess pressure and the boots don't break incorrectly. once they're broken in, of course lace them to the top. but when i got my skates, that's what my fitter told me to do, and that's what i did, and i don't have any problems now.

Every boot is different! There is NO way you can break in a pair of new SP Teri Super Deluxe boots without leaving at least the top hook undone for awhile, because they are just too stiff. That's why George Spiteri advises his customers to keep the top hook undone until they feel like they need it. I believe Harlick has different instructions, but of course, those are different boots.

Casey
01-20-2005, 10:45 PM
What I've heard about the differences in top-of-the-line blades and lower-end blades is that the lower end blades give you more room for error, while the top-of-the-line blades like Gold Seals give you less margin for error but reward you with higher performance when you use correct technique.
I would totally totally agree with that, at least in the case of the Gold Stars. That's the best way of phrasing what I've experienced that I've heard.

icedancer2
03-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Thought I'd bring up this thread again, because:

I got my new skates and they rock!!

I got new SP Teri Dance boot, with a Super-Dance 99 blade -- tried them for the first time today and was amazed!!

Of course the boots are very stiff and I couldn't rally lace them up, but overall, they felt great -- believe it or not, they fellt BIG -- I hope they aren't like that forever, but I think that once I can really lace them, they will be fine.

And I LOVE the blades -- so much more stable than the MK Dance blades I had on my old boots!

Whoppie!!!!

(And, I might add, they are very, very pretty!!) :bow: :bow: to me!!

2loop2loop
03-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Add me to the list :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I got my new boots today, Super-Teri Deluxe with Gold Seals - exactly the same as I had before, in fact the first time I've ever repeated a boot-blade combo (I had a 3rd pair of super-teri deluxes, but with a gold star blade).

I've been meaning to sort myself out with some new boots for ages, but one thing after another has popped up which meant I had to hang on to the old ones a little longer. My old ones are the most beat up I have ever let a pair of skates get. The leather lining around the ankles has worn through in places and there are whole patches inside where there are gaping holes in the padding so only the inner side of the outer leather is intact. Surprisingly though they weren't uncomfortable like this (just my weird feet I guess).

It was one of the easiest fittings I have had and after having the ankles punched (I have freakishly large ankles) they were fine. I hadn't completely decided whether to get a new blade or not but the sole on this pair was slightly longer than on the last pair so even though they would have probably been ok with the shorter blade I decided to get new ones in the 1/4" longer size. I've had nearly three years from these skates so I don't feel too bad about ditching the old blades even though they do still have some life in them.

Anyway they certainly look pretty compared to the last ones but it's been a while since I went through a break-in and I am not relishing the prospect of going through it all again.

:arrow:And why do you always find yourself skating really well, just before you switch to new skates? :evil: :evil: :evil:

John

icedancer2
03-30-2005, 04:28 PM

:arrow:And why do you always find yourself skating really well, just before you switch to new skates? :evil: :evil: :evil:

John

This is so true! My old boots are so nice and soft and comfy -- but I was getting sick of the blades (MK Dance) -- one of them was "off" a bit and kind of noisy so the new blades are nice and quiet and quite perfect!!

Breaking new boots in is never fun, but I don't have many expectations -- I skated better on day 1 than I thought I would and that is just fine with me.

It will probably be awhile before I try anything "advanced" (any dance above Bronze level, LOL) or really any Moves with turns, but I think in about 3 weeks I will be mighty cozy!!

dbny
03-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Congrats to you both, Icedancer2 and 2loop2loop! May you wear them well.

Mrs Redboots
03-31-2005, 04:32 AM

I got my new boots today, Super-Teri Deluxe with Gold Seals - exactly the same as I had before, in fact the first time I've ever repeated a boot-blade combo (I had a 3rd pair of super-teri deluxes, but with a gold star blade).Where do you go for your boots? Do you go to Les? I must get new boots soon....

doubletoe
03-31-2005, 02:02 PM

I got my new boots today, Super-Teri Deluxe with Gold Seals - exactly the same as I had before, in fact the first time I've ever repeated a boot-blade combo (I had a 3rd pair of super-teri deluxes, but with a gold star blade).

John

I have had two pairs of Super Teri Deluxes now, and will probably need to replace my current pair sometime next year. Just out of curiosity, did you consider getting SK-2's, and if so, why did you decide against them? Since they are the replacement/upgrade to the Super Teri Deluxe, I'm thinking of buying them next time. They look like they'd be easier to break in, since they are lower in the back and have the soft roll top (which should keep me from getting those horizontal where the tops of my boots dig in on spread eagles!).

doubletoe
03-31-2005, 02:03 PM
I have had two pairs of Super Teri Deluxes now, and will probably need to replace my current pair sometime next year. Just out of curiosity, did you consider getting SK-2's, and if so, why did you decide against them? Since they are the replacement/upgrade to the Super Teri Deluxe, I'm thinking of buying them next time. They look like they'd be easier to break in, since they are lower in the back and have the soft roll top (which should keep me from getting those horizontal where the tops of my boots dig in on spread eagles!).

Oops, sorry, "BRUISES", the word was "horizontal bruises." ;)

2loop2loop
03-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Where do you go for your boots? Do you go to Les? I must get new boots soon....

Yes I go to Les, in fact you don't have a huge amount of choice if you want Sp Teri's in the UK. He does get them to fit well though and mounted the blade for me. I didn't have to wait either, phoned on Tuesday night and had the fitting on Wednesday.

John

2loop2loop
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM

I considered the KT-2/3's beforehand, but I had decided that since I'd been happy with the Deluxes I wouldn't change. Actually while I was at the fitting there was another skater there having a real boot crisis having broken the tab on his KT3's (and he was a dancer). I've heard since that broken tabs are not a rare thing at all with these boots, so I am doubly glad that I have stuck with what I know. (A snapped lace or a broken hook can be dealt with in a crisis, but not a sudden loss of support). Hopefully by the time the Deluxes are completely phased out the problems with the KT models will have been ironed out.

John

doubletoe
03-31-2005, 02:20 PM
I considered the KT-2/3's beforehand, but I had decided that since I'd been happy with the Deluxes I wouldn't change. Actually while I was at the fitting there was another skater there having a real boot crisis having broken the tab on his KT3's (and he was a dancer). I've heard since that broken tabs are not a rare thing at all with these boots, so I am doubly glad that I have stuck with what I know. (A snapped lace or a broken hook can be dealt with in a crisis, but not a sudden loss of support). Hopefully by the time the Deluxes are completely phased out the problems with the KT models will have been ironed out.

John

Thanks, John. I've been asking everyone I see with KT-2's how they like them, and haven't had a bad report yet. I've also talked to two different pro shop guys who have both said that in the beginning (when the power tab was on the outside), there were some power tabs that broke, but that it hasn't happened since they started putting the power tab in-between the layers of the boot. So far, so good. . .

icedancer2
03-31-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm glad that both of you are satisfied and still sticking with SP Teri. They've gotten a pretty bad rap I think in recent years (at least in my area) and I was hesitant about getting a new pair, since my last pair I got 15 years ago (and they lasted that long, and I skate a LOT -- that should have told me something about how great these boots are!).

Anyway, I just figured it was best to get a boot that you knew would fit your foot, and I think I won't be unhappy about these new boots. I got the Dance model because I knew it would be a little softer than the "new" Super-Teri.

Now I just hope it doesn't break down too fast...

The obsession continues. Can't wait to try them out again tomorrow!! :)

doubletoe
03-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I think the most imporant thing for people to realize is that there is no "best boot" out there. Everyone's foot is shaped differently and everyone has different needs as far as stiffness, etc. My feet are shaped great for SP-Teri's since they are wide at the toes and SP Teri's have a wider toe box than Harlicks or some other brands. Likewise, people whose feet are shaped right for Harlicks will probably find that SP Teri's don't fit them right. But they're all good boots.

doubletoe
03-31-2005, 02:42 PM

Break down too fast? SP Teri? Bwaa haa haaa haaa---!

icedancer2
03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I think the most imporant thing for people to realize is that there is no "best boot" out there. Everyone's foot is shaped differently and everyone has different needs as far as stiffness, etc. My feet are shaped great for SP-Teri's since they are wide at the toes and SP Teri's have a wider toe box than Harlicks or some other brands. Likewise, people whose feet are shaped right for Harlicks will probably find that SP Teri's don't fit them right. But they're all good boots.

It's true, they are all good.

Another interesting thing about Teri is that Mr. SP-Teri (Spiteri) used to work as a bootmaker for Harlick and then started his own company in the early to mid-60's, so really I think that Teri's are just Harlicks with a bigger toe-box (and for me, a little bit cheaper!)

I had a conversation with Bryan Spiteri at Nationals in Portland this year and mentioned that my dad had custom Harlicks made in the early '60s -- he got all excited and told me that his grandfather probably made my dad's boots. I thought that was pretty awesome. 8-)

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Break down too fast? SP Teri? Bwaa haa haaa haaa---!You'd be surprised - I know at least one skater at our rink has gone through a pair in a horribly short space of time. Mind you, she is working on triples & is very sore on her boots....

2loop2loop
04-01-2005, 02:17 PM
You'd be surprised - I know at least one skater at our rink has gone through a pair in a horribly short space of time. Mind you, she is working on triples & is very sore on her boots....

I got three years out of my last pair, though that was probably about 6 months too long. I have known skaters to go through them very quickly, one skater was only working axels and double sals and used to go through a pair of super-teri deluxe every 6 months. I am working on all doubles and occasional triples and they hold up really well for me.

John

icedancer2
04-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, today was day 2 in the new boots -- not so good. They hurt more. I guess that is normal. The first day I laced them up very loosely so they felt "big" -- now they are rubbing in all of the wrong places... arrgghh. got to go get some of those gel pads and a box of band-aids (or moleskin or something).

Still very pretty, though, and the blades are nice.

I feel like I'm mourning the transition from my old boots. Fifteen years was a long and happy time!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

twokidsskatemom
04-01-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm glad that both of you are satisfied and still sticking with SP Teri. They've gotten a pretty bad rap I think in recent years (at least in my area) and I was hesitant about getting a new pair, since my last pair I got 15 years ago (and they lasted that long, and I skate a LOT -- that should have told me something about how great these boots are!).

Anyway, I just figured it was best to get a boot that you knew would fit your foot, and I think I won't be unhappy about these new boots. I got the Dance model because I knew it would be a little softer than the "new" Super-Teri.

The obsession continues. Can't wait to try them out again tomorrow!! :)
My skater isnt at that level yet, she has a jackson boot with a mk pro blade. But her coach, all the ice dancers here and most of her coaches kids have sp terri boots.I had thought about her next boot up the terri ulta light, made for smaller skaters.
have fun in your new boots !!

Mrs Redboots
04-02-2005, 03:18 AM
I feel like I'm mourning the transition from my old boots. Fifteen years was a long and happy time!! :cry: :cry: :cry:Oh, how I identify - mine are at least 8 years old, and it's time I got new ones (I had them punched out when I was at my fattest, and now, of course, I'm regretting that!), but oh, how I dread it! I also need new blades - mine have about 2 sharpenings left in them, if that - rather more badly than I need new boots. But this is *not* something I'm looking forward to.

doubletoe
04-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I got three years out of my last pair, though that was probably about 6 months too long. I have known skaters to go through them very quickly, one skater was only working axels and double sals and used to go through a pair of super-teri deluxe every 6 months. I am working on all doubles and occasional triples and they hold up really well for me.

John

I guess it depends a lot on how you skate, how many hours a week you skate, and how much you weigh. I skate pretty hard and have big jumps, but I only skate 6 hours a week and weigh a little over 115 so I expect to get another year out of mine before they start to break down (a total of 3 years). :)

doubletoe
04-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Get them punched out anywhere they bother you even a LITTLE. It will just get worse and you'll get blisters and bumps if you don't. And absolutely definitely wear gel ankle sleeves. . . forever! While you're breaking them in, put gel disks under the ankle sleeves wherever you feel the boot digging in (top of boot and ankle are common places).

Well, today was day 2 in the new boots -- not so good. They hurt more. I guess that is normal. The first day I laced them up very loosely so they felt "big" -- now they are rubbing in all of the wrong places... arrgghh. got to go get some of those gel pads and a box of band-aids (or moleskin or something).

Still very pretty, though, and the blades are nice.

I feel like I'm mourning the transition from my old boots. Fifteen years was a long and happy time!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

doubletoe
04-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Ok everybody here is my experience with breaking in different boots. With Harlicks I left the top two hooks undone for about a week then left only the top one for another week. Then as soon as they were a little broken in I would lace them to the top. The reason for that is because they were so stiff you couldn't lace them to the top and still be able to skate. With Grafs I left the top two undone and went on the ice and couldn't really skate it was too wobbly so I tied it up one more hook and it was a little better. These boots are so different that you need to lace them up right away cause they aren't as stiff. Hope it helps.

Did the Grafs break down sooner than the Harlicks? How did you like them?

doubletoe
04-02-2005, 11:46 AM
It's true, they are all good.

Another interesting thing about Teri is that Mr. SP-Teri (Spiteri) used to work as a bootmaker for Harlick and then started his own company in the early to mid-60's, so really I think that Teri's are just Harlicks with a bigger toe-box (and for me, a little bit cheaper!)

I had a conversation with Bryan Spiteri at Nationals in Portland this year and mentioned that my dad had custom Harlicks made in the early '60s -- he got all excited and told me that his grandfather probably made my dad's boots. I thought that was pretty awesome. 8-)

Cool! Last year I monopolized George Spiteri for an hour at my boot fitting (I still haven't bought the new boots since I don't need them yet, but I wanted to meet him and have him fit me!). It was fascinating to download all of his knowledge about boots!

AnnM
04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I just picked up my new Super-Teris over the weekend. I had planned on using my old MK Pro blades from my previous Super-Teris, but they were too short for the new boots. So now I have new blades, Coronation Aces, as well. Skating on Sunday was definitely an adventure --- all I can say is "ouch!". I only laced up to the second hook; tonight I'll probably go up to the third. Apart from the right blade, which feels like it's not mounted right for me, I luv my new skates. The rolled top and center lace hook were not standard feature on my old Super-Teris, so I'm thrilled about the redesign. No horizontal bruises or cuts!

I got fitted at SP-Teri for both pairs of boots and I have to chime in with everyone who has mentioned how cool and helpful George, Bryan, and Aaron are. :)

frvanilla
04-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Add me to the list as well! :P

I got my new Risport Super Cristallo boots and new Wilson Coronation Comet blades just yesterday and today is my day 1 on the ice with them.

I was anxious. I had a completely BIZZARE experience breaking in my old pair of Risport Etoile which I have for 5 years. The right foot kept bugging me after thery've been worn for 3 years and my left foot's pinky toes got squeezed very badly.

But my new pair of skates DON'T HURT A BIT!
I feel very comfortable on my new skates. They are stiff, but they don't hurt. The only part that bothers me is the tongue, but I don't need to put cosmetic sponges on top of the spot (yet... touchwood). I was worrying about the larger toepicks before I skated but they are not a problem at all.

When I bought these skates, I had my ankles and the bunions above the arch punched out (sorry, don't know what they are called). And the fitter heated up the boots and had me walked on them for a while and I guess that really helps.

I should say today I'm able to do most of the stuff. I hope this is a good start and it's going uphill from here. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
04-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Have just made an appointment with our fitter for tomorrow morning - wish me luck!

angelskates
04-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Good Luck Mrs Redboots!

I'm sure I don't need to ask you to keep us up to date - you surely will! :)

jazzpants
04-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Have just made an appointment with our fitter for tomorrow morning - wish me luck!I hope you'll enjoy your fitting experience and soon-to-be brand spankin' new boots! (You sure you don't want to be talked into custom boots in red suede or leather?) :lol: :P

Mrs Redboots
04-22-2005, 11:02 AM
(You sure you don't want to be talked into custom boots in red suede or leather?) :lol: :PQuite sure, thanks! I could, however, very easily be talked into going for MK Dance blades... we shall see!

jazzpants
04-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Quite sure, thanks! I could, however, very easily be talked into going for MK Dance blades... we shall see!Okay! How about "You only live once!!! Why not?" :P Then again, I didn't go all the way "bling-bling" when I bought my purple boots and said "Let's get gold colored MK Gold Stars. Reality about finances set in... :( (But my coaches would have LOVED it!!!)

Or you could justify that you've improved so much in your skating that you deserve better equipment to keep improving... ;)

Mrs Redboots
04-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Well, what I have got (and they are on my feet as I type this, although they really aren't going to be a problem to break in) are Gam Spectra 0700s, which is the current version of what I had before, with John Watts dance blades attached. That is one level up from the blades I had before - rather what I was hoping for.

Husband retains his boots, which are only "half worn", according to our fitter, but has now changed to Coronation Dance blades from the very elderly Coronation Aces he had before.

Tomorrow morning should be interesting.....