View Full Version : Pairs Skating Question

DressageChica
01-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone! I was just wondering something about Pairs Skating? What level do you have to be on to start Pairs skating? And are there any weight/height/whatever restrictions for pairs skating? I've always wondered!!

NoVa Sk8r
01-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Weight restrictions?!
I wish there were! :twisted:

Nah, as long as the guy can lift the woman, a team can be successful. Sure, it might be more difficult if there is not a large size/weight difference, but that in no way precludes a pair from skating together.

You don't have to be on any level to start. A couple of older skaters in my rink (they're in their 50s) started pair skating a few months ago. They're pre-bronze level.

The standard track includes the preliminary pair test, juvenile pair test, and then progressing at each subsequent level up to the senior pair test. Check out this USFS site (http://usfsa.org/About.asp?id=17) (scroll about halfway down) for the elements that are required. To take the preliminary pair test, the skater must have passed at least up to preliminary moves in the filed (MIF).

The adult track includes the bronze, silver, and gold pair tests. These tests include elements culled from the standard track. To take the bronze pair test, the skater must have passed at least up to bronze MIF.
Once the adult gold pair test is passed, the adult skaters can advance to the intermediate moves in the field test, and if they pass, they can take the intermediate pair test and progress up the standard pair track. This would place them in the masters pairs division.

CanAmSk8ter
01-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Depends. I've heard of kids starting pairs as young as 7 and 8 years old. At that age it's often a little girl skating with her brother. One of my best friends at my rink is a pair skater; she started right around the time she turned 11. OTOH, I know another girl who does pairs who was very successful in singles and didn't start pairs until she was 16. There's no specific level you have to be on to start pairs, but I don't know many coaches who would have a kid try pairs unless their singles skills were extremely strong, or the skater was very young. Because there are so few boys in figure skating, doing pairs usually requires a huge committment on the part of both skaters. Finding a partner often involves a nationwide search, and generally results in one skater, usually but not always the girl (and occasionally both skaters) moving away from home to train where the other skater is located. If you look through the Partner Search websites online, you'll find that most junior/senior boys want a girl who has a double axel and at least one triple and is willing to relocate (skating speak for "move and come train where I am"). Size obviously depends on how tall the other skater is, but the majority of girls in pairs are under 5'2" and 110 lbs. Many are more like 5' and 95-105 lbs.

Mrs Redboots
01-12-2005, 08:35 AM
We, in our fifties, are learning more pairs elements and beginning to compete in interpretive pairs competitions - the gap between pairs and dance is closing so fast that the more we can learn, the better.

At our rink, we have one pairs couple where the man is 67 and the woman 51 or 52; another, where the man is about 75 and the woman 65, have only just stopped because he injured his back - they both still skate. A third couple are both in their late 40s or early 50s.

One year, at the Bracknell Adult Open, four couples entered the pairs competition, and, of the 8 skaters, at least two were over 70, probably 6 were over 60, and all except one over 50 - and that one was certainly in his 40s.

So don't think you are too old - you aren't.

As for too young - my coach started one child when she was 6 and her brother 8..... so why not?

skaternum
01-12-2005, 08:44 AM
I'd say a good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't skate pairs until you can skate. ;) Meaning, you shouldn't have to rely on the other person to prop you up, stop you, steady you, whatever. Other than that, you can begin learning pairs elements at any time/age. You usually learn simple stuff at first anyway, like the various holds & hand positions, stroking together, simple side by side stuff, and maybe an easy lift like a stag (aka baby doll) lift.

As long as the guy can heft the gal, it's okay. Granted, that's much easier if there's a big height & weight differential, but it can be done. My partner is 6'2" and I'm 5'6". He weighs 204 and I weigh 130. I'm big for pairs, but we make it work.

Edited to Add: We're "old," by the way. I'm 40 and he's 41. Never too late to start!

Andie
01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I think pairs would be interesting to try to do, but I haven't. Especially because it's hard to find a guy partner period, let alone one close enough to my level. I'm 5'4" and about 125 lbs. so I'm afraid most guys would have a difficult time lifting me safely! The lowest weight I could be and still be healthy would be about 115, which could still be too heavy for some guys to lift.

My brother, who doesn't skate, is almost 6'4" and appx. 175 lbs. He tried to lift me about a year or two ago, while I was around the same weight as now. And he couldn't lift me.

Mrs Redboots
01-13-2005, 08:35 AM
My brother, who doesn't skate, is almost 6'4" and appx. 175 lbs. He tried to lift me about a year or two ago, while I was around the same weight as now. And he couldn't lift me.It's technique, not strength - my husband can't lift me, but that's because he's doing it all wrong, our coach says. I have been lifted - when I was considerably heavier than I am now - but that was by a guy who knew what he was doing (and we'd both had a couple of drinks, which helped!). If your brother were to learn to skate, he'd be a perfect pairs partner for you.... Can't you blackmail him? ;)

samba
01-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I did competitive pairs until I was well into my 50's and there wasnt much height and weight difference. The only problem we had was when I tried to be to clever and lift him, ended up with a groin injury :oops: