View Full Version : Ballet!

Casey
01-11-2005, 03:01 AM
I took my first ballet lesson today (prepaid for 12 lessons so I'm stuck to it)! It was rather intimidating at first, but like skating the first time, I found that I enjoyed it afterwards. :)

Even the simple practice was challenging, and I can see so many ways this will help with my skating...the posture, stretching, balance, quick and precise movements, graceful moves...

Even better is that the classes are twice a week, on nights when there's no skating to be had! The cost is also quite reasonable, at just only about 12-13 dollars for a hour and 15 minute class. Brilliant!

Anybody else doing/done/thinking about doing ballet too?

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Anybody else doing/done/thinking about doing ballet too?I read somewhere that adult ballet classes are increasingly common in this country - I wouldn't mind a go, if I can find a convenient class. At the moment, I'm busy trying to find 8 other people for a Pilates class for beginners....

flippet
01-11-2005, 07:57 AM
I took a beginning ballet class in college, for fun and to fill out my semester credits. I really enjoyed it--although I discovered that I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to thoroughly remembering the step sequences. (Somehow, I don't have a problem with this on ice, or anywhere else...but in ballet, I'm sunk.) I also got a bit frustrated because the class started moving faster than I could handle...most of the girls had had at least some ballet before, and the instructor was trying to prepare them for the next class level (because of course most of them were trying to at least minor in dance or somesuch). But you probably won't have that problem...I imagine that a class that's not tied up in a university schedule can take you a slowly or as fast as you need to go.

One day, we had a senior dance major join us for barre...and he was in pointe shoes. Damn good, too. :D

sue123
01-11-2005, 10:14 AM
i took ballet when i was younger, but i never enjoyed it. I think the reason i stuck with it for 5 years was because i liked the tap class, and they were kinda integrated. but i know a lot of skaters who take it to improve posture, flexibility, and gracefulness. it's the last part i have a problem with. i'm not exactly a graceful person, in fact some people go so far as to call me a klutz, but if you enjoy it, go for it. i've taken some beginning hip hop dance classes before, that was a lot of fun.

jazzpants
01-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Done both ballet AND hip hop at the same time one year! Sure gave hip hop instructor a bit of a (pleasant) surprise...since she also studied ballet before. Drop ballet b/c of that nasty sciatica incident. Drop hip hop b/c the school closed and I couldn't make the other class times that the dance instructor has. LOVED both once I found the right instructor (i.e. one that takes adults seriously) and would want to do it again.

fadedstardust
01-11-2005, 09:51 PM
I've been doing ballet since I was four- I had to pick between a ballet or skating career when I was younger and while I don't regret my choice to go with skating, a piece of my heart will always belong to dance. I still take an advanced class here or there, much UNLIKE skating, dancing skills don't go away quickly if you don't practice, so long as you keep up with your stretching, and it's nice to always know you have something reliable to go back to when you put your hand on the barre. Ballet is great for everyone. Keep at it!

kittie067
01-12-2005, 09:04 AM
i'm not sure if this counts. i got a tape from the library and then my sister and i bought some ballet shoes. i mean how else do you get ballet lesson for free? the first time i tried it i could barely wlak for three days! but i think it is helping my posture that's the main reason why i want to do it. but i think its nice.
~kittie

Shinn-Reika
01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
They make ballet tapes?

excellent

Andie
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I've done ballet, self-taught. Have considered taking a class sometime, not sure when. I really can't afford to pay for skating and ballet both regularly, so for now my main focus is skating. I pay for that, and do ballet for free or very cheap... with the help of a video and book. I think I like skating and ballet equally, though now I choose to do the former because it's much easier to do the latter at home.

kittie067
01-13-2005, 08:27 AM
yes they do, although at my library they only had one tape for beginners, i believe. but 1 is better than nothing at all! what else would you recommend to do to help with skating?

Mrs Redboots
01-13-2005, 08:43 AM
yes they do, although at my library they only had one tape for beginners, i believe. but 1 is better than nothing at all! what else would you recommend to do to help with skating?Er, more skating?

Seriously, pilates. And other forms of strength and flexibility training, as you like them and can find time for them. Gymnastics is good, also ballroom dancing. Swimming, they say, uses the wrong muscles - always swim *after* skating, never before.

kittie067
01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
of course skating more. i skate about 3 times a week for an hour. i know that's not much but ice time is expensive. i do pilates but not very often. i have really weak stomach muscles so that helps strengthen them.
thanks!

~kittie

Kelli
01-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Just a friendly reminder that ballet and pilates are technique based, even more so than skating. Videos are great, but try to get at least a few lessons from a quality* instructor. Even if it's only one or two, you'll learn basic alignment and breathing techniques that are essential to get the full benefit and avoid injury.

*With a few rare exceptions, a quality instructor will not be one based out of a gym, but someone who works in a ballet or pilates studio.

kittie067
01-14-2005, 08:48 AM
that would be nice to do, do you have any idea how to find a qualified one? i have seen a place near me called school of dance, would they provide ballet do you think?

~kittie

nerd_on_ice
01-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I would expect any "school of dance" to offer ballet classes unless it were strictly a ballroom-dancing school. As for qualifications, my childhood ballet teacher had a bachelor's degree in ballet pedagogy but I'm not sure how common that is. I don't know of any organizations that train/certify ballet instructors but that definitely doesn't mean there aren't any!

If going the video route, I have the New York City Ballet Workout video and I love it. It's not a "ballet class" (which, I agree, is better done under professional supervision) but a collection of ballet-based exercises to develop the long, lean muscles of a dancer. It's a classy-looking production and the dancers who demonstrate the exercises (2 men, 2 women) are gorgeous. I have only the 1st volume; there's a second one out but I haven't bought it yet.

TashaKat
01-14-2005, 04:58 PM
I love ballet, most dance forms in fact. I did ballet etc as a child right up to a few years ago and miss it tremendously. It's such a lovely feeling when you get to grips with it and can start using your body with control but, at the same time, freedom.

I'm trying to find a school up here but adults aren't catered for in the same way as they are in London (Danceworks in the West End, Annabel, or the Laban Centre in New Cross. My old ballet teacher teaches at both AND they both have Pilates studios. Pineapple has a good reputation but I never went there).

I find that I'm much fitter, slimmer and bendier when I'm doing dance than when I'm doing other activities (mind you, I've wrecked my ankle so can't do ANYTHING at the moment :( ).

Mrs Redboots
01-15-2005, 05:23 AM
How did you wreck your ankle???? Don't tell me, I know, a horse stood on it..... or you had a fall, or something!

Whereabouts is the Laban centre? Actually, I may be able to get Pilates locally (we are trying to get a group of ten together, and if so, it will be a cheap class).