View Full Version : lessons at different rinks

sue123
01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure if this would be a problem or not. See, i'm taking group lessons right now once a week at a rink that's closer to home. When i go back to school in a couple of weeks, i'll be living on campus but coming home for the lessons (my school is only a 40 minute drive to my house, so it's not that bad). But i was thinking of maybe taking some private lessons at the rink by my school to supplement the group lessons. I know there are people in the group class taking private lessons at the same rink, but would it be ok to get private lessons at a different rink? It's not only a lot cheaper (in general) but a lot easier to do than taking the train into manhattan and then going back to long island where i go to school. If i tell the instructors, do you think there might be a problem?

backspin
01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Taking your private lessons at a different rink will be fine. In a group lesson setting, you have no obligation to the rink or your instructors re. with whom or where you take private lessons. In fact, in general you never owe a specific loyalty to any particular rink. Once you have a private coach, you do have an obligation to them to let them know if you take lessons elsewhere, & you should never work with 2 private coaches without each one knowing about the other.

sue123
01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Taking your private lessons at a different rink will be fine. In a group lesson setting, you have no obligation to the rink or your instructors re. with whom or where you take private lessons. In fact, in general you never owe a specific loyalty to any particular rink. Once you have a private coach, you do have an obligation to them to let them know if you take lessons elsewhere, & you should never work with 2 private coaches without each one knowing about the other.

well yes, that's what i thought, but i wasn't sure. If i do take the private lessons, i was going to let her know that i am also taking group lessons. I didn't think it would be a problem. Thanks for your response.

Tessie
01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure if this would be a problem or not. See, i'm taking group lessons right now once a week at a rink that's closer to home. When i go back to school in a couple of weeks, i'll be living on campus but coming home for the lessons (my school is only a 40 minute drive to my house, so it's not that bad). But i was thinking of maybe taking some private lessons at the rink by my school to supplement the group lessons. I know there are people in the group class taking private lessons at the same rink, but would it be ok to get private lessons at a different rink? It's not only a lot cheaper (in general) but a lot easier to do than taking the train into manhattan and then going back to long island where i go to school. If i tell the instructors, do you think there might be a problem?

I am assuming you are in college. Does your school offer skating as a phys ed class? My alam mater did and does. Too bad I didn't take it in college when it was part of my tuition. :frus:

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2005, 06:15 AM
If I were you, I'd ask your group instructor whether they know any of the teachers at your college rink and, if so, who they would recommend.

I always tell my teacher, as a matter of courtesy, if I'm taking a class elsewhere - he always grins and says "Go for it - you need all the lessons you can get!" So rude......

garyc254
01-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Maybe I'm too open, but I always told my coaches when I was taking a lesson from another coach. I figured that they didn't own me just because I was paying them for lessons.

When I first started skating, I had two coaches at two different rinks. One coach didn't particularly like the idea that I had another coach, but with work schedules it was the only way I could get in two lessons. The other coach was very open about my other coach and always asked what I was working on in my other lesson so she could gear her lesson toward it.

I found both coaches taught the same thing in different ways with accent on different elements. One was very posture oriented. The other was power oriented. Between the two, I learned a lot very quickly.

Although I don't take lessons from them anymore, I'm still close with them both.

sue123
01-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I am assuming you are in college. Does your school offer skating as a phys ed class? My alam mater did and does. Too bad I didn't take it in college when it was part of my tuition. :frus:

i wish my school offered it as a phys ed class, but no. the only gym classes open to non PE majors are bowling, yoga, fencing, and karate. if they did, i would have taken it since i was a freshman.